CBarca
Winter is Coming
The Franchise
34 posters

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

Rest of the Football World Thread Empty Rest of the Football World Thread

Post by The Franchise Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:52 pm

How come we dont talk about the rest of the game outside of Barca anymore? I swear we had a thread like that before? Or im just imagining things?

The general section isnt any more free from junk at certain times and this used to be one of (if not the) best places for reasonable discussions.

So, anyone have any thoughts on the PL this season?

With it being Mourinho's second season, with younger players gaining experience and some major reinforcements in other areas I think the only question is...what excuse will be used if they dont win it?

Last edited by The Franchise on Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Rest of the Football World Thread Empty Re: Rest of the Football World Thread

Post by Winter is Coming Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:34 pm

It should be his title this time. I've been impressed with Van Gaal United and no CL will help them take it perhaps and that his excuse right there. City may also be a problem but the thing is I can see Mountain reaching later stages of CL, but can't see the other PL teams yet.
Winter is Coming
Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:34 pm

My own disdain for Chelsea keeps me from acknowledging the great team they've built this year, and I'm sure my feelings about Mou have contributed, but I must begrudgingly accept that they have as good a squad as any and are probably favorites.

The EPL this year I feel is between City and Chelsea (though I said differently in GS because it's GS) and both should be expert scrub killers- Chelsea investing wisely in dynamite scrub killer Cesc Fabregas. So I believe the title will largely come down to how Chelsea and Man City do against the top 6 other teams. In this area, Mourinho was fantastic last season and probably will be this season- so I could see Chelsea taking the EPL this year based on that fact. He'll be needing Costa to show up though. If Costa flops Chelsea will be in the same position they were last year Laughing I imagine Mou will then blame the strikers again. Mou will always find some excuse if they don't win it of course. I think he'll have to blame it on refs and how his new acquisitions needed time to adapt.

Arsenal will challenge early on in the season but I don't expect them to be able to last and they'll probably finish 3rd or 4th. They've made some good acquisitions but they still lack a top striker and a DM (we'll see if they buy Carvalho though who I have no idea about). I give them an outside chance though- but that outside chance requires the likes of Ramsey, Wilshere, Walcott etc to stay fit.

Liverpool is interesting. I think they'll finish 3rd if Arsenal underperform but 4th most likely. They have great team chemistry and the football they're playing is marvelous. Rodgers has done a fantastic job. They addressed their weaknesses in fullbacks and built some depth but lost the star man in Suarez. Don't think they'll make a title challenge without Suarez as he was the man that propelled Liverpool forward, but think they will go be able to compete on more fronts (cups) and hopefully consolidate a top 4 position with their new acquisitions. However, as we learned from Tottenham last year, a lot of players coming in doesn't mean success.

Man U is a wildcard and I won't attempt to guess how they'll do. I don't think they will break 3rd place though, they'll finish 4th at best. I just don't think they have the squad yet. Everton and Spurs are in the same category. They all have great squads but none of them are as good as City, Arsenal and Chelsea. I feel that Man U, Everton and Spurs will all fight for Liverpool's spot- it will be close either way and I can't tell who will get it.

I will of course support Spurs all the way to their 6th place finish and EL quarterfinal defeat. Spurs level this season will depend on how fast they can adapt to a new manager and if the key players that were bought last season to perform can perform this season. If Soldado puts in goals like his Valencia days, Lamela plays like the season before he was sold (and stays injury free), Paulinho can enter confederations cup mode, and Chiriches giving Vertonghen a halfway decent partner, I can see Spurs being able to mount a challenge for top 4 quite easily. Spurs worst enemy last year was the amount of injuries and a lack of stability- something that hopefully won't be a problem this year. Not expecting top 4 but hopefully Spurs can win the EL...but I would never bet on the EL.

EDIT: and great idea Dani  Thumbs up 
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:35 pm

I think Man Utd will be back in the top 4 if they make 2-3 more moves (CB, partner for Ander, LWB which isnt Young) LVG is too good (untill he ruins it, as always) and without other distractions they will be able to rest when they need to.

Chelsea have everything on paper, but there is something nagging (not the right term because I would like to see them fail) which tells me they wont win it. I will predict them to win it, but mostly because I feel the top challengers will depend on too many factors. Still, despite the moves I feel that even if Costa plays well they are an injury to him away from last seasons issues (Costa seems to have some issues with injury) and I dont think anyone can seriously count on Drogba at this stage. Its also going under the radar that Oscar needs to figure out what has happened the last 6 months or he is useless to them.

City need Aguero to stay fit, then need Yaya to stay fit and while Fernando and Mangala are really good and needed players, neither will make THE different between winning and losing given what they have already. Perhaps Mangala will be good for a clutch set peice goal (he often is) but what I mean is over the course of 38 games those 2 pieces will improve them but not take them to a level they havent reached previously.

Arsenal are predictable, not in football terms but in terms of what will happen. 100% will finish within the top 4 despite others keep putting them outside it...100% wont win the title because they will have injuries.

As for Pool, I like everything about them in terms of football and the job the young players and manager have done. But I also fear that the loss of Suarez combined with teams just knowing more about them this season will mean they take a step back. Or actually, more accurately, a lateral step, but with others improving it may appear a step back.

I like some of the moves they made, but I think they made too many IF signings...IF Lallana's game translates for the big teams, IF Lambert is the same, If someone can spell Gerrard at times (Can?), IF Lovren at least matches what Agger was giving them, IF Markovic is more Hazard than Lamela...and what will happen at fullback?

So right now, if I have to pick, I would say Pool outside the top 4. But its not a confident pick (im not one for predictions anyway because in reality its pure guess work because a 100 unforeseeable things will happen) and it wouldnt please me to see them drop outside the CL.

Spurs? Made too many moves last season, played FM instead of actual building of a team..glad they havent made more signings and actually realise some of the talents they have (Lamela, Eriksen, etc) are actually more than good enough and just need molding. I dont think they will challenge the top 4, but I am more quite sure we will see a much better Spurs.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:17 pm

City need Aguero to stay fit, then need Yaya to stay fit and while Fernando and Mangala are really good and needed players, neither will make THE different between winning and losing given what they have already. Perhaps Mangala will be good for a clutch set peice goal (he often is) but what I mean is over the course of 38 games those 2 pieces will improve them but not take them to a level they havent reached previously.

Well how much was Aguero fit this last year? And while Mangala and Fernando may not make THE difference- if they keep up the standards of last year (which they should) then that extra difference in quality should see them win the title again, no?

I agree about Liverpool. What they're doing this season actually reminds me a bit of what Spurs did last season, except Liverpool have a stronger core to build around and less to improve- and so not as much radical change is needed. Spurs went for radical change and it backfired, and the managerial changes were the icing on the cake of that fiasco. All in all, Liverpool are better, more stable, and have a solid manager- so I don't see it backfiring for them. I can agree with a lateral step. How they react to CL being added onto the league will be big.

Tottenham merely need to ship out some deadwood (looking at you Dawson) and get a stable team philosophy and starting XI out every week. If that can be done I'm confident we'll see a much improved Tottenham team- and the players like Paulinho, Lamela and Soldado performing are added bonuses at this point (besides, hardly any of them can perform much worse...Lamela excepted due to injury/not getting picked). I have high hopes for them in the next few years if Poch works out and stays on for a while.

In addition to other thought on the EPL from the Barca board, I'm curious as to how people think PSG and Roma will do this season and how much they rate them.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:26 pm

My thoughts are Pardew should be sacked so we can finish top 4 hmm

City will win the league though I'm pretty confident in that.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:27 pm

True, Aguero wasnt fit. But I felt like they were "lucky" in that Arsenal were Arsenal (injuries, lack of signings), ManU fell apart under captain clueless and Chelsea were playing the likes of Torres, Mikel and other dead wood. I think the challenge this year will be harder and they will need Aguero.

Basically last season, I feel other than Pool and City, the teams in the PL did worse/were at a lower level for long periods than they should have. I dont expect that again. Especially not Chelsea.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:34 pm

Looking at it. City got 20 goals from Yaya and 17 from Aguero. And they were the top scorers.

The others arent reliable so I see Yaya has to repeat what he did and Aguero has to give more (he surely will if fit).

Dzeko tap in poaching/goal thieving/sitter missing ways will cost them if he is overly leaned on and Negredo's game fell apart after the start.

Silva is Silva, an amazing player, but he, nor Nasri, nor Navas, nor Fernandinho are really going to get you many goals.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:38 pm

Thieving Lmao.

Winning the title is about beating up scrubs like us and Spurs, City do that better than anyone.

They have bought players for depth where they needed cover and that's all they need IMO.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:44 pm

I agree, but I can conceive Chelsea beating up scrubs much better this season. Then it comes down (I think) who is actually the better level and can pick up results vs others elites but crucially home and away.

Im with both of you, but I just think if Aguero misses as many games/plays as many games injured as last year then it opens the door for the others who I think will be better, to meet them in point tally.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:23 am

Jovetic is having a great pre-season. Maybe he can be this years "Negredo" for them...or even better turn into what Dzeko does for them. They have allot of options and have a good amount of ways they can rotate what they have around.

I think Chelsea comes out blasting and then Cesc ruins it for them late (I know it's a stereo type, but all stereotypes happen for a reason). I just have no confidence in there midfield or there defense. Plus they might have the best 1-2 combo of keepers, but I don't have allot of faith in old man Terry and Cahill getting it done all season. Pretty much I think they are a few injuries away from struggling when it matters. Also, Costa can get injured.....and then they will relay on Torres? City has more wiggle room when it comes to depth so I am picking them to finish top.

Arsenal will finish somewhere in the 2-4 range, lol. Won't even discuss further because that just about sums it all up for them

Liverpool can stay in the top 4 but will struggle, so it's still up in the air. Everton, Spurs and Utd in my mind all have what it takes to finish above them. Not saying they will

Newcastle will get relegated (just mess in with ya'll Mole, lol). I actually secretly started supporting (or should I say following them? I wouldn't say i'm hard core following them) New Castle for 2 stupid ass reasons. 1. Mole 2. I love New Castle beer.
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:29 am

Jovetic is certainly the wild-card/x factor...really impressive talent. Dont fit him and Aguero fit well together on the pitch there was that Fiorentina period for him where he looked something like Kaka, in terms of running at people.

Agree about Cheslea (Costa and Cesc) but signing Luis Felipe helps them alot. If one of those two CB's dont play, its really easy to move Ivanovic inside, play Azplicueta at rightback and Luis at LB. Also Zouma could give them something for all we know.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:33 am

Lol Windkick, I wouldn't be surprised tbh. I have no expectations just see how it goes.

The way I see the top 4 right now is 1. City, Arsenal and Chelsea to fight over 2nd and 3rd. Liverpool 4th.

I say right now because if Man Yoo get a few new quality signings in key positions I can see them leapfrogging them.

Everton and Spurs are a level below them, they are both on an island tbh. Too good for the teams below them but not good enough to impact the top 4.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:40 am

Yeah.

I think there will be a gap between Man Utd/Pool and Everton/Spurs/Inevitable team that does better than expected.

I am less sure about this, but I think there will be a gap between the top 3 and ManU/Pool too. But I mean, with the signing period not yet done and games not played, alot of this is all theory.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:09 am

Can't wait till the end of the season and Spurs proves you plebs wrong. Though it's 98% more likely the season ends in disaster like usual.

Agreed that we're getting ahead of ourselves a bit too. A lot could change between now and the end of the window.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:59 am

I actually think Spurs have a solid team. Defensively they were great last season, just couldn't score. They start scoring, and they will finish even higher.
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:11 am

windkick wrote:I actually think Spurs have a solid team. Defensively they were great last season, just couldn't score. They start scoring, and they will finish even higher.

Spurs were all over the place defensively against the teams that are actually good. You tuned into the first half of the season and not after AVB got whalloped then sacked. Highest amount of goals conceded from individual errors in the top 5 European leagues last season - Spurs 2013-2014 Laughing
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:56 am

Yeesh!

Yea I remember them last year when they were going game after game after game ending like 0-1, 0-0 or whatever because the defense was holding up but Soldado couldn't finish sandwich. I think Adebayor came in, started scoring, then Lloris got blasted in the head and they started scoring but conceding.
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter is Coming Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:28 am

Pep got pissed at the MLS All Star team coach for their aggressive tackles and didn't shake hands.

Rest of the Football World Thread 862730042
Winter is Coming
Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:57 am

Heard Schweinsteiger got injured?
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:17 am

The Franchise wrote:Heard Schweinsteiger got injured?

Haven't heard since then, but I think he came off during the game. Hard to remember. Did get hit with a bad tackle- right to his ankles, too.

I'm curious as to how people think PSG and Roma will do this season and how much they rate them.

Since this got glazed over, I'd like to put it out there again.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:27 am

CSpurs why are Tottenham not signing a single CM with a brain? Clearly their weak link imo and the reason they failed last season.

Juventus are weaker without Conte and possibly Vidal while Roma have been able to retain all their stars so far. It's now or never for Roma. I expect a closer tournament than the past 3 seasons.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:28 am

Failed? They finished about where they should have done.

Although performances should have been better granted.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:30 am

They had top 4 aspirations at the beginning of the season, you can argue they finished where they deserved to but I'm sure Levy would not agree.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:38 am

Missed the PSG and Roma bit.

Not particularly schooled on either league, but from what I seen of the two teams I am indeed intrested.

PSG putting together Luiz and Silva is interesting but not especially scary. I am thinking they really will do well to add Di Maria, gives them even more flexibility and I think he fits in with their group.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next