windkick
Great Leader Sprucenuce
CBarca
Winter is Coming
The Franchise
34 posters

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

Rest of the Football World Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Rest of the Football World Thread

Post by The Franchise Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:38 am

Missed the PSG and Roma bit.

Not particularly schooled on either league, but from what I seen of the two teams I am indeed intrested.

PSG putting together Luiz and Silva is interesting but not especially scary. I am thinking they really will do well to add Di Maria, gives them even more flexibility and I think he fits in with their group.

The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Rest of the Football World Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Rest of the Football World Thread

Post by CBarca Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:19 am

With all of the injuries and managerial instability? Going from AVB who was under performing with the team to the joke of a manager that is Tim Sherwood? Perhaps they finish where they should have, but I would disagree, I think with a great manager, a more stable starting XI and an injury list that wasn't disgraceful to the medical team, Spurs could have finished top 4. Add to that known quality players like Soldado and Lamela that couldn't impact the season and add Paulinho to it as well.

Disagree BC. The shite that is Rose at LB is a bigger issue, while playing the likes of Dawson in CB is also a bigger issue. I believe a CB and LB signings are more important, which look to be getting done. A competent CB will lead to Vertonghen giving a shit again, and a more competent LB is always important. Though I don't know how good Davies is, he HAS to be better than Rose. Watching the defending last season, I refuse to believe that a CM is more of a problem position.

Though I can agree with you that CM's have been weak last season. It seems to me that Spurs have been/are going for a bit of a more modern set up. In the 4-2-3-1, I feel a lot of the time we see DM/destroyer, and then another player that is defensively capable but facilitates a lot of passing/moving and more importantly vertical passing/passing that opens up the opposition. This is much like Arteta-Flamini or Pochettino's own Schneiderlin-Wanyama. This was tried with Capoue (Flamini/Wanyama) and Dembele/Paulinho- it looked OK early on but then Capoue got injured, and it never really worked because Dembele/Paulinho are nowhere near the Arteta type.

The other option would look like Arteta-Ramsey. Spurs tried to replicate this with Dembele (Arteta) and Paulinho (Ramsey). Unfortunately, Spurs don't have the movement and ball circulation that Arsenal have. Spurs surprisingly do have the ball retention, but the ball circulation never really was good enough to allow Paulinho to get into good positions (he loves to get forward into the box), and Dembele in the first place will never be Arteta.

In my opinion, the CM problem is due in part due to personnel issue (Dembele aint Arteta and Paulinho isn't Ramsey), but largely it was more due to a tame and immobile offense. Sandro-Dembele was a brilliant pairing during the Bale season before Sandro's injury- is the problem Sandro/Dembele? Or is it the players in front of them?

I will give you my opinion. A CM is needed, and Sandro needs to go. Capoue is my starting DM. Who goes next to him? Who is a CM good enough for Spurs that is also willing to come, and at a decent price? It's a tough choice. Herrara's and Kovacic's of this world aren't coming. The Classie's of this world are both unproven in the PL and young (idk much of him anyway). For me, I don't know.

Honestly, I trust the right move might be what is going to happen (or what I think will before the end of the window). Poch gets the guy he wants- he recreates his Soton set up with Capoue playing next to Schneiderlin. This is of course, similar to his Schneiderlin-Wanyama set up, and this set up will compete with Schneiderlin-Paulinho, which will reflect the Arteta-Ramsey set up, and we'll see which performs better. Dembele will get games here or there. Sandro leaves.

For me what is more important is that the front three is moving interchangeably (like we see often these days- see Chelsea and Arsenal) and fluidly and that the offense isn't near as immobile as it was last season. If that happens (and it looks like it will with Holtby/Lennon/Chadli, Lamela and Eriksen) I see the CM problem being mitigated despite the personnel issue.

At the end of the day, I think the likes of Dembele and Paulinho were underperforming in a system that undermined them, and Capoue due to injury. Sandro due to injury/having a coach that disliked Sandro so much Sandro publicly derided him on Twitter. I wouldn't be upset to give them all but Sandro a new beginning this season and not sign anyone, though I will be happier with Schneiderlin.

tl;dr defense was more of an issue and the CM problem was largely due to problems in the offense as a whole, though I think Schneiderlin would be an improvement on the personnel set up of last year.

Jesus I'm bored. Being wordy for the sake of it, I apologize.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:19 am

The Franchise wrote:Missed the PSG and Roma bit.

Not particularly schooled on either league, but from what I seen of the two teams I am indeed intrested.

PSG putting together Luiz and Silva is interesting but not especially scary. I am thinking they really will do well to add Di Maria, gives them even more flexibility and I think he fits in with their group.

Opinions on PSG's chances in the CL if they get Di Maria?

Also would like to hear BC's opinion on Roma's season coming up since I know he follows them at least somewhat.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:27 pm

CBarca wrote:
The Franchise wrote:Missed the PSG and Roma bit.

Also would like to hear BC's opinion on Roma's season coming up since I know he follows them at least somewhat.

Improved, but I dont know quite how good Blanc is and in the end tactics in key moments will be at least 50% of what is happening. Which I obviously dont need to tell you.

But with Di Maria, you would imagine they would improve. They already have battling qualities in the midfield so perhaps his importance wouldnt be as great as it was to Madrid, but we all seen how much he can give in an important game.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:42 pm

The Franchise wrote:How come we dont talk about the rest of the game outside of Barca anymore? I swear we had a thread like that before? Or im just imagining things?

The general section isnt any more free from junk at certain times and this used to be one of (if not the) best places for reasonable discussions.

So, anyone have any thoughts on the PL this season?

With it being Mourinho's second season, with younger players gaining experience and some major reinforcements in other areas I think the only question is...what excuse will be used if they dont win it?

Yes dani we certainly had this kind of thread.

There is no excuse for Chelsea this time. They look the best on paper and Mourinho's teams in his 2nd season are said to be at their most fearsome. An EPL victory is expected.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:46 pm

The Franchise wrote:I think Man Utd will be back in the top 4 if they make 2-3 more moves (CB, partner for Ander, LWB which isnt Young) LVG is too good (untill he ruins it, as always) and without other distractions they will be able to rest when they need to.

Chelsea have everything on paper, but there is something nagging (not the right term because I would like to see them fail) which tells me they wont win it. I will predict them to win it, but mostly because I feel the top challengers will depend on too many factors. Still, despite the moves I feel that even if Costa plays well they are an injury to him away from last seasons issues (Costa seems to have some issues with injury) and I dont think anyone can seriously count on Drogba at this stage. Its also going under the radar that Oscar needs to figure out what has happened the last 6 months or he is useless to them.

City need Aguero to stay fit, then need Yaya to stay fit and while Fernando and Mangala are really good and needed players, neither will make THE different between winning and losing given what they have already. Perhaps Mangala will be good for a clutch set peice goal (he often is) but what I mean is over the course of 38 games those 2 pieces will improve them but not take them to a level they havent reached previously.

Arsenal are predictable, not in football terms but in terms of what will happen. 100% will finish within the top 4 despite others keep putting them outside it...100% wont win the title because they will have injuries.

As for Pool, I like everything about them in terms of football and the job the young players and manager have done. But I also fear that the loss of Suarez combined with teams just knowing more about them this season will mean they take a step back. Or actually, more accurately, a lateral step, but with others improving it may appear a step back.

I like some of the moves they made, but I think they made too many IF signings...IF Lallana's game translates for the big teams, IF Lambert is the same, If someone can spell Gerrard at times (Can?), IF Lovren at least matches what Agger was giving them, IF Markovic is more Hazard than Lamela...and what will happen at fullback?

So right now, if I have to pick, I would say Pool outside the top 4. But its not a confident pick (im not one for predictions anyway because in reality its pure guess work because a 100 unforeseeable things will happen) and it wouldnt please me to see them drop outside the CL.

Spurs? Made too many moves last season, played FM instead of actual building of a team..glad they havent made more signings and actually realise some of the talents they have (Lamela, Eriksen, etc) are actually more than good enough and just need molding. I dont think they will challenge the top 4, but I am more quite sure we will see a much better Spurs.

An awesome post!!!

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:56 pm

CBarca wrote:I'm curious as to how people think PSG and Roma will do this season and how much they rate them.

Very good question.

About Roma I find it really difficult to comment. In Serie A hardly any top club seems to have made major improvements. Juventus have lost Conte and with Pirlo's advancing years I would expect they will decline. However if Roma or anyone else are good enough to take the title from them I don't know. Roma also I would expect will be less strong than last year. Overall I can't see Serie A making any major impact in Europe.

As for PSG I'll stick out my neck here and say a fall is coming. Ibrahimovic cannot go on forever. He's got to stop somewhere and I think this will be the season when that will happen. Defense may have some big names but I can't see it working well together. Even the overall team composition may be hard to get right. Blanc's last season I think. They'll do even less in Europe this time than they did last time and as happens with a super rich club will change coach again next summer.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:01 pm

CBarca wrote:

I suppose it's been pretty much confirmed that PSG are not getting Di Maria. Without that I can't see them having improved from last season. Instead as I said in a previous post I see a decline coming.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:04 pm

So we all agree that the EPL title will be between Chelsea and ManCity?

Chelsea could be a major player in Europe as well along with Madrid, Barca and Bayern. Not that I rate our team's chances very high but because several other big teams around the world seem to be suffering even more than us I still named us among the top four.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:16 pm

You have to put Chelsea in those discussions because they have what they needed on paper and its Mou's "2nd season" which apparently means something.

I still have a feeling it wont be as rosy at they/or people think but you have to put them in the discussion without evidence to the contrary.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:30 am

Didn't know where else to post this question..

Who will make the most starts in each position this year out of these players..

Vermaelen or Matheiu in defense?

Xavi or Rakatic in midfield?

Rafinha or Sergi in midfield?

Deulofeu or Pedro in attack?

Ter Stegen or Bravo in goal?

Busquets or Mascherano in midfield?

Which current "Barca B" player will make the most first team appearances?

Last edited by windkick on Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:54 am; edited 2 times in total
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:50 am

windkick wrote:Didn't know where else to post this question..

Vermalen over Mathieu especially in big games if he doesn't mess up. Dude has been riding the bench for the past 2 years despite being captain. He's probably grateful to be at FCB now an thus should be extra-motivated.

Rakitic over Xavi but hopefully it means that Xavi would be always 100% when he plays particularly in big games.

Rafinha or Sergi : imo both won't play that much imo but honestly i didn't see much about them to choose.

Deulofeu ou Pedro: Hopefully Deulofeu. Pedro might be a good player but I think he gave all he has to give to the team. Still a good rotational player but i like betting on youth.

Ter stegen.

Busquets/Masche : I'd say Busquets but i want to see Masche more. He brings something different to what Busquets does. Terrific player on his day , i forgot how good he could be.

LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:55 am

Matheiu, he'll be used in lb / cb and assuming we're going to use up his last years as much as possible now, also isn't verm always injured?

Xavi or Rakitic in midfield?
rakitic just due to being able to play all season long whereas xavi is more limited with age

Our coach loves Rafinha, also more versatile he can play anywhere upfront and midfield adds something different to the team something the generic sergi can't bring.

Pedro definitely

Bravo

Busquets unless he gets injured.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:54 am

Edited my question sheet - added one more question
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:34 am

really depends on who gets injured etc
but if we need a forward, probably adama
if we need a midfield probably samper
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by billy_gr Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:01 am

watching the supercup yesterday I really liked our loaned Suarez
billy_gr
billy_gr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:36 pm

i think Matheiu will start more. Verm is injury prone

Sadly, Rakatic. But I still see Xavi starting most of the important matches

Rafinha, just by the simple fact he is a superior player and Lucho feels comftrable with him from the Celta days

Pedro for sure

Ter Stegen will most likely be our main guy (he even got the #1 jersey)

Busquets

given the ban on Suarez and the fact Neymar was an injury prone player with us last season, I am going to say Adama. Samper and Halilovic are great players but our midfifeld is stacked as it is. Odds of either starting are slim
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:23 pm

windkick wrote:Didn't know where else to post this question..

1. Tough choice. Let's say Mathieu since Vermaelen is so injury prone.
2. Xavi
3. Very little time for either
4. Pedro - Deulofeu has been loaned
5. Ter Stegen
6. Busquets easily

Last edited by messixaviesta on Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:29 pm

Pep Guardiola, Strikers And Robert Lewandowski :-

Read an interesting article recently about Pep Guardiola's problems with conventional number 9s. My question here is what do people think about Lewandowski playing for Pep. How well do you think it can turn out? Also given below are the comments of three big name players who Pep played as his number 9s but eventually discarded.

Samuel Eto'o - “Guardiola asked me to do a specific thing – one that strikers are not normally asked to do. I always think like a forward and I was unable to do what he was demanding. I explained to him I thought he was wrong. He asked me to leave the training session. In the end, the person who was right was me.”

Zlatan Ibrahimovic - “Guardiola sacrificed me. That’s the truth. One of my mates told me: ‘Zlatan, it’s as if Barca had bought a Ferrari and were driving it like a Fiat.’ Guardiola had turned me into a simpler player and a worse player. It was a loss for the whole team.”

Mario Mandzukic - "Let’s be honest, the style Guardiola wants at Bayern doesn’t suit me. In the first leg against Real Madrid [in the Champions League] I definitely understood, no matter how hard I try, that I can’t get the best out of myself with this style.”

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:27 pm

Man Utd not started well...Van Gaal predicted a slow start but still.

1-0 to MK Dons as we speak.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by S Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:30 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:CSpurs why are Tottenham not signing a single CM with a brain? Clearly their weak link imo and the reason they failed last season.

Juventus are weaker without Conte and possibly Vidal while Roma have been able to retain all their stars so far. It's now or never for Roma. I expect a closer tournament than the past 3 seasons.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f43/16/93/79/64/37329810.gif
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:56 am

The Franchise wrote:Man Utd not started well...Van Gaal predicted a slow start but still.

1-0 to MK Dons as we speak.

3 clubs I absolutely LOVE to watch lose, and they Utd, R. Madrid and Chelsea.

So, needless to say I am getting a major kick out of Utd's run of form since Moyes took over Smile
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:02 am

On another note, I watched Sunderlands game vs City over the weekend and I was highly impressed with Santiago Vergini. he's the player we were rumored to want last summer, and for the chump change Sunderland got him over I have to say he wouldn't of been a bad back up had we pulled the trigger last summer. Not saying he is what we needed and not saying he would of been a starter, but he seemed solid, fast and had good vision on the ball.
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter is Coming Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:12 pm

Xabi Alonso is on his way to Bayern Munich
Winter is Coming
Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:14 am

i wanted to take a second to discuss Real Madrid; they are our eternal rivals after all and I figure we should have a honest conversation about them and what they have to offer this year.

There squad as of today...

(will line up some sort of variation of this, give or take)

-------------Iker(c)
-Carv--Ramos--Varane--Marcelo
-------------Modric
------James--------Kroos
-Bale------------------Ronaldo
----------Benzema

Rest of the squad (guys in bold will likely be the bench)
GK: Navas
GK: Pacheco
CB: Pepe
CB: Nacho Fernandez
RB: Arbeloa
LB: Croentrao
CM: Asier
CM: Khedira

CM: Isco
LM: Jese (injured)

Is it me or doe this team look hella unbalanced? yea, they have a retarded amount of fire power that if teams don't step up ready to handle it for 90 mins, will probably get in some real shit. But it looks like they have way too many players in the similar mold. I think last years team was more balanced (of course they could still bring in Falao/Reus or what not...which neither would make the team balanced imo. Also Asier and Arbeloa might leave who knows).

What do you guys think?
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:26 am

I think they are definitely much weaker then compared to last season, no di maria, no more xabi getting away with red card tackles and hopefully less hunger after winning the champions league.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next