M99
Firenze
Kaladin
RealGunner
Blue Barrett
13 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Malazan Book of The Fallen, anyone? - Page 3 Empty Re: Malazan Book of The Fallen, anyone?

Post by Bellabong Sat May 16, 2015 3:48 am

Karsa is a f****** legend.

Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Malazan Book of The Fallen, anyone? - Page 3 Empty Re: Malazan Book of The Fallen, anyone?

Post by Kaladin Sat May 16, 2015 12:38 pm

I'm 3/4 done with HoC, what a book it has been so far :bow:

I'll write up my thoughts once i finishe it in the next week and a half or so

Also, if you're reading this Dante, did you start reading hmm
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Sat May 16, 2015 2:26 pm

El Shaarawy wrote:I'm 3/4 done with HoC, what a book it has been so far :bow:

I'll write up my thoughts once i finishe it in the next week and a half or so

Also, if you're reading this Dante, did you start reading hmm

nah not yet , but soon enough . I told you , i'll start in the summer , a few weeks from now. I could start right now i guess , but i have this book i am reading(Prince of Fools) and don't want to mix things up with such a massive read like Malazan ( besides current series is amazing , i can't just leave it aside or read anything else untill i found out what happens )

thankfully i am halfway through it and by all means i will finish it before June , so yeah , let's just say i am almost there on the hypestation , ready to jump on the Malazan hypetrain Proud

hopefully i get to like it as much as you guys do and i still remember the advice to read heavily whenever i read . That's why i decided to leave it for the summer , 3 months of reading just Malazan should be plenty heavy reading
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat May 16, 2015 3:29 pm

I really want to start reading the series but I need serious discussions of it while reading to get me going and since this thread isn't as active as the ASoIaF thread - can anyone recommend a good forum where a dude like me could ask questions, read discussions, theories etc...

(It goes without saying, with no assholes spoiling stuff from later books)
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Sat May 16, 2015 3:42 pm

http://www.reddit.com/r/Malazan/

Best i could find, since spoilers are marked

Though, only M99, Firenze and Phritz have completed the series. I'm usually the only one active here, and i post my thoughts after each book (You can go back a few pages, and read them if you want Smile) Phritz comes here once in a while, and Dante is starting the series soon. I'm down for discussing in this thread with you guys if you want, its just been me and Phritz the past 8 months (Which is why this thread isn't quite active Laughing)
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sat May 16, 2015 3:47 pm

I think I'll start rereading it this summer. Read the complete series just once, lots of things I forgot tbh.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Sat May 16, 2015 4:25 pm

i will be joining you guys don't worry Proud
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat May 16, 2015 4:38 pm

Proud

ES Molenation
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Sat May 16, 2015 4:55 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:I really want to start reading the series but I need serious discussions of it while reading to get me going and since this thread isn't as active as the ASoIaF thread - can anyone recommend a good forum where a dude like me could ask questions, read discussions, theories etc...

(It goes without saying, with no assholes spoiling stuff from later books)

Phritz wrote:SES if you're looking for discussion; info etc. which tiptoes around spoilers I've seen a lot of people recommend http://www.tor.com/features/series/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen.

It's basically detailed summaries of each chapter and well written reactions by a first time reader and a series veteran (who doesn't spoil but provides his take on Amanda's reaction and his reaction from rereading the series)

When I first skimmed it I only checked what Amanda and Bill wrote but upon rechecking it it seems the comments section has some good posts as well. I do recommend checking it out - this series has a lot to keep track of.

The Malazan sub-reddit is probably your best bet for "live" discussion and questions apart from niche fantasy book forums.
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Sat May 16, 2015 5:23 pm

I forgot about the Tor rereads, they're quite helpful :bow:

I'd occasionally go there every few chapters, the comments are quite good aswell, but some of them were spoiler-ish. You'll be fine if you read Amanda's summaries though, Bill too, they don't spoil at all
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Mon May 18, 2015 1:15 am

Haha I just read that Bill had the same instinctual reaction to Warrens as I did (Wizardly Travel Portals xD)

And omg SES. Tehol and Bugg hype, you're getting closer =D
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:26 pm

Just finished HoC

Spoiler:
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:45 am

Karsa gets a considerable amount of criticism and splits the community, I think he's GOAT though, there was a very good read on the authors website from a blog post he wrote about the character but the link seems to have disappeared since his site is offline :/

Traveller :bow:

Most of your questions get answered so it'd be stupid for us to answer them now

You may be disheartened at the start of MT since it kinda takes you away from the places and characters introduced so far in the series, but it's one of my favorites and the interactions of two characters in particular make the novel, plus it's very important to events going forward in the series.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:04 pm

Firenze wrote:Karsa gets a considerable amount of criticism and splits the community, I think he's GOAT though, there was a very good read on the authors website from a blog post he wrote about the character but the link seems to have disappeared since his site is offline :/

Traveller :bow:

Most of your questions get answered so it'd be stupid for us to answer them now

You may be disheartened at the start of MT since it kinda takes you away from the places and characters introduced so far in the series, but it's one of my favorites and the interactions of two characters in particular make the novel, plus it's very important to events going forward in the series.

Yeah, i don't mean for all the questions to be answered, some of them are just observations Razz

I have an idea on who might Traveller be, based on what Apsalar says later on, that he's been with Kellanved and Cotillion back before the empire, the only person who can fit this profile i'm guessing is

Spoiler:
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:50 pm

wasn't it stated in book two that Dassem placed his daughter in the Deadhouse in an effort to heal her wounds/resurrect her

Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:06 am

I son't think so, although i might be wrong, iirc Dassem Ultor's daughter was said to be 'lost' in DG and that he was looking for her

Not 100% on this, i maybe wrong
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:27 am

do you plan to read Esselmont's novels? they aren't essential and they're sub-par in comparison to Erikson's but some of them are still worth a read, Return of the Crimson Guard has an amazing list of characters. I liked a couple of them more than the main sequence tbh. Still need to read the one he released a year or so back.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:15 pm

I'm not sure, is that the trilogy prequel? If so i might consider them, but it depends on the after-taste that i have after i finished the main series imo
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:42 am

Nah. Another author co-founded the series and writes a bunch of novels that are in the universe. They aren't necessary to enjoy Malazan: BoTF. But a bunch of things that are hinted at by Erikson are solely in those novels. Quite a lot of great characters appear in Esslemont's novels (and most of them run concurrently with the main series, just in different parts of the world) You have people like Kallor, Traveller, etc, in those. He usually stays away from using Erikson's POV characters as his. Only downside being that he's a vastly inferior writer, he's better in some areas, though.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:58 pm

Firenze wrote:Nah. Another author co-founded the series and writes a bunch of novels that are in the universe. They aren't necessary to enjoy Malazan: BoTF. But a bunch of things that are hinted at by Erikson are solely in those novels. Quite a lot of great characters appear in Esslemont's novels (and most of them run concurrently with the main series, just in different parts of the world) You have people like Kallor, Traveller, etc, in those. He usually stays away from using Erikson's POV characters as his. Only downside being that he's a vastly inferior writer, he's better in some areas, though.

Hmm, i'll think about it

Meanwhile, are Tehol and Bugg the best characters ever? I LOVE READING THEIR CHAPTERS :bow:
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:32 pm

They were my fav characters at the time of reading MT. Definitely eased my initial trepidation about shifting to a new continent and characters.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:51 pm

Tehol and Bugg.

:bow:

In a 3 and a half million word epic which is being supplemented by more books they are singlehandedly responsible for why this saga is my favorite. (The saga itself of course can hold its own) I literally can't even when

40% MT SPOILER:

It leaves me in tears everytime Laughing

and Firenze knows. He just knows, and so will you young padawan.

Speaking of supplementary books; I thoroughly enjoyed the Bauchelain and Korbal Broach novellas, Erikson can do humour too!
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:10 pm

I just have to share this back and forth between Tehol and Shand:

Midnight Tides wrote:
That’s better,’ Shand said in a more mellow tone. She leaned forward. ‘Tehol Beddict.
We know all about you.’

‘Oh?’

‘We even know why what happened happened.’

‘You do?’

‘And you shall do it again.’

‘I shall?’

‘Yes. Only this time, you will have the courage to go through with it. All the way.’

‘I will?’

‘Because we - myself, Hejun and Rissarh - we’re going to be your courage. This time.
Now, let’s get out of here, before that server comes back. We’ve purchased a building.
We can talk there. It doesn’t smell.’

‘Now that’s a relief,’ Tehol said.
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:10 am

Man, i can relate so much to the Sengar brothers, its unnerving (i have 3 brothers lol)

Trull=My older brother, thinks he's got it all figured out, cool and calculative
Rhulad=My younger brother, always tries to show off
Binadas=Very withdrawn and reserved, doesn't speak his mind too often
Fear=Married, is the pride and honor of the family
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:35 pm

Currently in the last 1/3 of MT, i'm starting to think Bugg isn't just a normal 'servant'..
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:36 am

Spoiler:
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next