The Lizard King
McAgger
Yuri Yukuv
62 posters

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down

The Official Book Thread Empty The Official Book Thread

Post by Yuri Yukuv Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:09 am

What are the best book(s) you have read?

Sharing why would be great Very Happy
Yuri Yukuv
Yuri Yukuv
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

The Official Book Thread Empty Re: The Official Book Thread

Post by McAgger Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:23 am

1984 by George Orwell.....One of the best I've ever had the privilege of reading. One of my favorites of all time.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lizard King Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:23 am

Off the top of my head..

The Stranger - Albert Camus. ( The book was a revelation to me. It just hit a spot..and I really can't explain why. I just identified with the protagonist on a whole new level. )

Brave New World - Aldus Huxley ( Awesome novel about the future, mind manipulation and conformity of the masses. And how one man stands out. )

Lord of the Flies - William Holding ( Pretty well known. Children marooned on an island, and the emergence of innate evil. But you need to read it at least twice to truly grasp the depth of this novel. In a word, Breathtaking. )

Tales of Ten Worlds ( Short Stories ) - Arthur C. Clarke ( The author was an absolute visionary. He predicted the moon landing, and specifics of the take-off ( using houston as a base ) around a decade before it actually happened. Read this, and it WILL transport you to ten different worlds )

Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert Heinlein. ( Just started reading it. Enthralling so far, well on its way to being one of my favorites )

The Jackal , Icon - Frederick Forsythe ( These books dictated my childhood. The author is a master of covert ops and espionage. The jackal is about the attempted assassination of Charles De Gaulle, who was more assassin-proof that Castro himself. It is based on a true story, as the Jackal exists. Icon is a brilliant novel about a powerful Russian politician, soon to be president, who mistakenly leaks a Hitler-like manifesto. Both books are gripping, and filled with intrigue. About the Arthur, he is constantly watched by US secret agencies whenever he's in Africa because he is a master of the coup d'etat. And rebels constantly approach him asking him to organize revolutions. )

His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman ( Most underrated, unrecognized fantasy series. Ever. Nothing compares to its level of epic. Do NOT watch the movie. The book makes Harry potter and LOTR seem petty and meaningless. It takes the age old battle of good vs evil to the highest possible level.)

The Dark Knight Returns - Frank Miller ( Comic..but as good a book as any. One of the best comics I've ever read. A 50 year old batman, past his prime. Lays the perfect premise for triumph over conflict, as he battles against new enemies and his own deteriorating, physical self. Batman is the epitome of cool. Hands down )
The Lizard King
The Lizard King
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:05 am

Messiakanino wrote:1984 by George Orwell.....One of the best I've ever had the privilege of reading. One of my favorites of all time.

Agreed.

To add...

Brave New World
Catcher in the Rye
Catch 22
Farenheit 451

All really good, they're all classics!
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by che Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:02 am

the bourne trilogy... if you thought the movies were good, the books will blow you away

also fear and loathing in las vegas Very Happy
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lizard King Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:41 am

Rendezvous with Rama - Arthur C. Clarke

The Lizard King
The Lizard King
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:05 am

The Lizard King wrote:Off the top of my head..

The Stranger - Albert Camus. ( The book was a revelation to me. It just hit a spot..and I really can't explain why. I just identified with the protagonist on a whole new level. )

Brave New World - Aldus Huxley ( Awesome novel about the future, mind manipulation and conformity of the masses. And how one man stands out. )

Lord of the Flies - William Holding ( Pretty well known. Children marooned on an island, and the emergence of innate evil. But you need to read it at least twice to truly grasp the depth of this novel. In a word, Breathtaking. )

Tales of Ten Worlds ( Short Stories ) - Arthur C. Clarke ( The author was an absolute visionary. He predicted the moon landing, and specifics of the take-off ( using houston as a base ) around a decade before it actually happened. Read this, and it WILL transport you to ten different worlds )

Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert Heinlein. ( Just started reading it. Enthralling so far, well on its way to being one of my favorites )

The Jackal , Icon - Frederick Forsythe ( These books dictated my childhood. The author is a master of covert ops and espionage. The jackal is about the attempted assassination of Charles De Gaulle, who was more assassin-proof that Castro himself. It is based on a true story, as the Jackal exists. Icon is a brilliant novel about a powerful Russian politician, soon to be president, who mistakenly leaks a Hitler-like manifesto. Both books are gripping, and filled with intrigue. About the Arthur, he is constantly watched by US secret agencies whenever he's in Africa because he is a master of the coup d'etat. And rebels constantly approach him asking him to organize revolutions. )

His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman ( Most underrated, unrecognized fantasy series. Ever. Nothing compares to its level of epic. Do NOT watch the movie. The book makes Harry potter and LOTR seem petty and meaningless. It takes the age old battle of good vs evil to the highest possible level.)

The Dark Knight Returns - Frank Miller ( Comic..but as good a book as any. One of the best comics I've ever read. A 50 year old batman, past his prime. Lays the perfect premise for triumph over conflict, as he battles against new enemies and his own deteriorating, physical self. Batman is the epitome of cool. Hands down )

Everyone always talks about The Stranger, but both The Fall and The Plague are far, far better. Seriously, if you like The Stranger read those two. Better writing (IMO) and better explorations of Camus' own philosophies.

As for other books:

The River of Doubt by Candice Millard: The story of Theodore Roosevelt's journey down an uncharted river in the Amazon. The best part is, it's all true (the river is now also known as Rio Roosevelt).

American Lion by Jon Meacham: The story of Andrew Jackson's time in the White House.

I will update with more later.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lizard King Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:42 am

I liked The Stranger better than The Fall. As I said..I was just able to identify with the protagonist and Camus put to words, what I've been feeling and experiencing for a while. It was pretty eye-opening. I'm not saying its better, but just more significant to me on a personal level.

Definitely gna give The Plague a look over though
The Lizard King
The Lizard King
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:52 am

Rohinton Mistry- A Fine Balance

One of the most vivid and best written pieces of literature I've read. My favourite book for sure, no other book I've read leaves you with such emotion- very, very powerful. Its set in India during Indira Ghandi's years, about a group of simple people brought together through various events. Very authentic, very encapsulating, very powerful.

If you're more of a pulp fiction type...

The White Tiger is excellent.

...non fiction...

Between a Rock and a Hard Place ( The Book upon which 127 Hours is based).
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:53 am

The Lizard King wrote:I liked The Stranger better than The Fall. As I said..I was just able to identify with the protagonist and Camus put to words, what I've been feeling and experiencing for a while. It was pretty eye-opening. I'm not saying its better, but just more significant to me on a personal level.

Definitely gna give The Plague a look over though

Books are different for every reader, and on this one I agree with Lizard... The Stranger was my fav Camus.
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Brigate Rossonere Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:28 am

Messiakanino wrote:1984 by George Orwell.....One of the best I've ever had the privilege of reading. One of my favorites of all time.

I liked Animal Farm a lot more. George Orwell is brilliant.

Sylvia - Bryce Courtenay
Flowers for Algernon
Sophie's World
My Story - Dave Pelzer
The Kite Runner
Angels and Demons - Dan Brown.

Many others...
Brigate Rossonere
Brigate Rossonere
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Napoli

http://acmilan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:37 am

Crash - J.G. Ballard
Naked lunch - William S. Burroughs

Coincidentally, both were made to films by David Conenberg which are also my favorites.
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:59 pm

Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann
Demons by Fyodor Dostoevsky
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky

I'll write more about them as you asked later, however I should probably be studying still. If you're to read any of these I'd say that Buddenbrooks is the most likely to be universally beloved.

Also the Count of Monteo Cristo by Alexandre Dumas is a fantastic read for someone seeking adventure.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri Yukuv Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:36 pm

where are you from dosto? Congrats on becoming Milan Mod, You earned it.

This is a very good list lizard + rep
Yuri Yukuv
Yuri Yukuv
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:41 pm

I'm born and bred in Melbourne, Australia, though my father's from Napoli. Also thanks. Smile
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:04 pm

1. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.
Simply epic. Love Wilde. His view on morals is golden.

2. Professor Unrat by Heinrich Mann.
Hilarious book, great analysis of bourgeois morale.

3. The World According to Garp by John Irving
Somehow Irving just speaks to me. Great observational skills put to good use.

4. Faust by Goethe
Instant classic, rightfully so.

5. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.
Better than 1984. :coffee:

6. Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
Weird, but great. Same goes for:
7. Hard Boiled Wonderland by Haruki Murakami

8. Drop City by T.C. Boyle
Great period piece, if it counts as one. Really cynical view of the Hippie movement, I liked it a lot.

9. Wallenstein by Schiller.
Simply epic. Incredibly epic.

10. Fool on the Hill by Matt Ruff
Interesting, fantasy'ish, acedemic, funny, intellectual - my kind of book.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:26 pm

Classic literature: Where's Wally?
TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lizard King Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:44 am

Yuri, of all the books that I listed, I'd recommend "Rendezvous with Rama" and "His Dark Materials" the most.

Rama has everything a science fiction novel could ask for, and more. The pure amount of intrigue and curiosity that it generates, completely transports and immerses you in another dimension. If you're not really into sci-fi, this book will change that view.

His Dark Materials is underrated because it is deemed as a children series. Very wrongfully so. It is one of the pinnacles of story telling, with a conclusion of such unintentional romantic magnitude that it almost brought tears to my eyes. I sincerely wish they had made a tv show about it, rather than try to sum it up in an hour and a half of a miserable movie. And I wish more people, that I know, had read it. But I have like one friend who shares a similar passion for reading.

Would anyone care to recommend any comics/ graphic novels ?
The Lizard King
The Lizard King
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:02 am

VivaStPauli wrote:
6. Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
Weird, but great. Same goes for:
I read What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by him and was thrilled the entire way. Wouldn't make any 'best' book list but I recommend it nevertheless. Nice read everyone can relate to, even non-runners like me.

Missing from the previously mentioned titles is my very favorite Catch 22 which is one of the most hilarious books out there. Seriously, read this if you haven't done so yet. You won't regret it.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:47 am

I've read the same two Murakami novels as Viva, as well as The Wind-up Bird Chronicle and After the Quake. Very trippy, but engrossing, I'd recommend them all, particularly Hard Boiled Wonderland.

Also pretty much anything written by Philip K. Dick is worth reading.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:39 pm

Ah, now that Dostoevsky mentioned Philip K. Dick - William f*cking Gibson! The Neuromancer Trilogy is amazing!

And also I feel totally dirty that I forgot my #2 favorite book, really embarassing stuff:

Master and Magarita by Bulgakow! I hope I got the english title right, I read it in German since I don't know Russian.

But Bulgakow is effing boss.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by KMD Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:07 pm

M&M by Bulgakov is a deep read, I can read it 5 more times and every time find something new....

now i'm reading the Game of Thrones, i liked the movie, don't want to wait for the 2nd season Smile

best Authors for me though, are Edgar Allan Po and Chekhov
I like there short stories that are sarcastic in a way and have no deep meaning, Po even makes fun of critics!

of the recents I read, I also liked Irwin Shaw, and his 2 books, Poor Man & Rich Man... and Beggar man Thief ! It was an easy read about a family and the relationships of each, where one was poor and one was rich, reminded me of my family in a bit.
KMD
KMD
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by FilipeFerreira Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:16 pm

The Children of Hurin is a really good book, i Recommend it to anyone.

The silmarillion

and obvious The lord of the rings trilogy.
FilipeFerreira
FilipeFerreira
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : FC Porto

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:29 pm

The Unbearable Lightness of Being is another favorite one of mine due to Kundera's essayist-ish writing style.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by elm_baraja_shaman Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:04 am

Lord of the Rings for me.

Tolkein is just a master of storytelling.
elm_baraja_shaman
elm_baraja_shaman
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next