BarrileteCosmico
DeletedUser#1
McAgger
35 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

'Muricans Empty 'Muricans

Post by McAgger Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:23 pm

This probably doesn't deserve its own thread but it made me laugh so much. We deliver once again Proud Every World Cup there's a couple of these articles rofl

The "Beautiful Game" can expand its reach beyond fringe support in the United States — but it'll need to change the rules first

As the FIFA World Cup begins in Brazil, pundits are already dusting off their explanations on why Americans don’t care for soccer. But only the most daring will offer proposals to change the game to make it more appealing to the American public.

Brazil’s Iconic Statue Gets a Flashy New Look for 2014 World CupWorld Cup Refs Run 6 Miles Per GameIraq Violence Opens Up Old Wounds for Vets NBC NewsMelissa Fenton: 10 Ways to Give Your Kids an Honest-to-Goodness 1970s Summer Huffington PostBowe Bergdahl Arrives in Texas After Years as Taliban Prisoner NBC News

First, the problem. Far and away the most common reason cited for the sport’s unpopularity in the United States is that you can spend 90 minutes watching and never see a goal. “Americans love to see scoring,” says Stephen Clark, a news anchor at WXYZ news in Detroit, who wrote a post on the subject ahead of the last World Cup in South Africa. “In soccer it’s too usual to see a game end at 1-0.”

Football — the one with the helmets and pads — may not always have a lot of scoring, but at least each touchdown delivers six points and an opportunity for a couple more. And then, between them, there’s the relentless to-and-fro across the field. “It’s almost military,” says Clark. “We like to march down the field and get rewarded for every victory. You’re rewarded every ten yards. It’s like conquering territory.”

Compare that to soccer, where it’s not unusual to see a team reset the play by kicking the ball back towards their own goal. The play never stops, but nobody gains lasting advantage. “When do you go the bathroom?” says Clark. “When do you get a beer?” More crucially, he points out: When does the broadcaster get a commercial break?

The problem isn’t just infrequent scoring, says Michael Mandelbaum, director of the American Foreign Policy program at John Hopkins University and author of The Meaning of Sports: Why Americans Watch Baseball, Football, and Basketball and What They See If They Do. It’s the frequency with which games end in a “draw” — or a tie, in American parlance.

Ties are impossible in baseball and basketball, he points out, and “as rare as eclipses” in American football. And when they do happen they aren’t settled by something as capricious and peripheral to the game as penalty kick shoot-outs. “This seems absurd to Americans, like deciding the Super Bowl through a field goal kicking contest,” he says.

Mandelbaum also offers a proposal to make the game more popular in the United States. He’d alter the rules to favor the offense, eliminating the offside rule, which forbids players from passing to teammates standing behind enemy lines. Alternatively, he’d use the number of corner kicks awarded to each team as a way to break ties, a method that would reward aggressive play. “For this to happen in the US, however, the rest of the world would have to do the same, which it won’t,” he says.

The close-mindedness of the sport’s establishment shouldn’t stand in the way of a good idea. And so, in that spirit, here’s a modest proposal: soccer should take its cue from boxing and install three field-side judges to secretly score every 15-minute interval. Goals would be like knock-outs. Points would only come into play in the case of a tie.

The scorecards would put greater importance on each moment of the game (Sorry Clark, still no bathroom breaks). Teams would be motivated to play spectacularly or risk losing on points. Squads that felt they had slipped behind would be doubly pressed to get that last minute goal.

Best of all, the change would bring an entirely new aspect to the game, one not unfamiliar to fans of boxing (or for that matter figure stating): judges. After all, it’s one thing to argue about a referee’s call on a set of objective, verifiable rules. Think of all the fun that can be had arguing about the secret decisions of the judges.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

'Muricans Empty Re: 'Muricans

Post by DeletedUser#1 Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:30 pm

America.....thinking they have to own the entire world since 23423523 Proud

Will hopefully never ever have to live in that god awful country Proud

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:39 pm

I see someone's sarcasm detector is off...
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:40 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:I see someone's sarcasm detector is off...

It's in TIME magazine. It's a legit article.

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:45 pm

Don't let that fool you. Read it again.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nadinkrah Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:56 pm

lol its not that bad living in the USA.
nadinkrah
nadinkrah
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by lenear1030 Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:19 pm

Most people here in the states just can't invest what it takes to maintain an interest in a sport where the best is played on the other hemisphere. Games are played when we are at work, in school, or just waking up (in the case of Saturday matches which are during our mornings and early afternoons).

The perceived lack of toughness of the athletes doesn't help either. I can go into that more in-depth but I wont.
lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:35 pm

America's lack of interest with the sport has nothing to do with the rules of the game or anything like that. Or that we find it on the base level inherently boring. I am really tired of hearing the argument and seeing journalists post things about how they could make the sport popular if they were allowed to change it or something..

Basically, sports have replaced soap operas and Americans like it when that emotional and personal investment is present. The reason it isn't popular here is because that it doesn't have a proper platform

That is why people in America watch the world cup. Some people watch it to root for the US. Others think things like "Well I'm german, I want to see germany play!" Replace germany with whatever other country or area people identify with and boom, there is your emotional investment and personal connection even if those people have zero clue who is even playing. If there was really zero interest, and americans didn't care.. Then they wouldn't watch the WC either. But surprise the WC comes along and people go crazy.

For it ever to make it here we just need a popular domestic league and that is it. Americans' can't be bothered to watch sports overseas on a consistent basis and stay emotionally invested... No one here will really give a toss about watching Westham vs. Swansea a 10am on a tuesday morning. its great for those who do care but that will always be niche'. They need a local connection.

Because, if people in the US can watch Nascar, or Golf, probably the two most boring things humans could possibly put on television next to just looking at a blank screen for two hours.. Then the sport as is with the current rules can become popular here. We just need that emotional and personal drama that Golf has. I mean they STILL talk about Tiger woods even when hes not playing. They talk about "Oh can you believe THIS GUY won the open? Rory really choked today!" Etc. Same thing with Nascar, all the drama with the Dale Ernhart Jr. and Danika Patrick, etc.. Those are people that they talk about on sports center. America just needs that. The extra discussions after the sport happens, the relevance of matches, what is at stake, what matters if x or y team losses. Underdog stories. Just.. drama. Thats it. If we get that on a consistent domestic league basis then it will have become a hit here. But MLS just needs time. They need more proper stadium locations.. the ability to pay players like every other american league can, and to expand to certain areas so the league is relevant and has a presence in all regions of the country.
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by FilthyLuca Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:57 pm

I thinks it really lack of understanding the game.

We don't play it here so theres no concept of whats happening.
We play basketball since childhood for example.  so we know the difficulty associated with dribbling by someone, shooting a three, ect.  so when we see it done at the highest level, we can appreciate what we're watching. that's generally not the case with soccer.  once you play with people who know what theyre doing that changes.  once someone explained to me what was happening and the roles of each player, I took to it.
I found it very similar to basketball, but with a big ass court.

there's also the pride factor. "mine is better than yours". some people cant get pass that.

And lastly, we're not that good at it. if our best athletes were raised in a footballing culture, and were the shit at it, not necessarily like in Basketball where they dominate, but on the level of elite countries, there would be a lot more interest. americans have an obsession with winning. I guess its good and bad, but once a team wins, like the women do, we start to pay attention.

FilthyLuca
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:02 am

That's clearly a satirical article, lads.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:59 am

RedOranje wrote:That's clearly a satirical article, lads.

Come on, Red. Americans are too stupid for satire. Don't be so cocky.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:22 am

stevieg8 wrote:
RedOranje wrote:That's clearly a satirical article, lads.

Come on, Red. Americans are too stupid for satire. Don't be so cocky.

But wait!  If Americans are too stupid for satire and I'm an American and I recognized satire does that mean that to balance things out I must miss the sarcasm in your post?  But then your post would represent an American understanding satire/sarcasm and thus would need further balancing with another subsequent post and....etc, etc.

On another note, RG and I have been talking and decided that for WC2018 the US needs to just take the current away kits and alter them so that they're straight up copies of Captain America's original comic uniform (sans chainmail).  Since it's in Russia they'll all also where white undershirts and red gloves with blue shorts to complete the look.  Putin will love it!
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:32 am

Seriously, those kits would be so awesome you could even say that the US team would be.... Putin on the ritz!  Cool 

Spoiler:

DTOR told me to say it.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:19 pm

Read similar articles on the Onion and POLITICO.

This is indeed satire or just pure ignorance. Reading the comments at the bottom of these articles tells me that even Americans who don't know the game well recognize these for what they are. It appears to be actual fans of the game, such as ourselves, who are the only ones taking these too seriously.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:14 pm

RedOranje wrote:Seriously, those kits would be so awesome you could even say that the US team would be.... Putin on the ritz!  Cool 

Spoiler:

DTOR told me to say it.

'Muricans Young-Frankenstein-Puttin-on-the-Ritz
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by harhar11 Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:35 pm

lenear1030 wrote:Most people here in the states just can't invest what it takes to maintain an interest in a sport where the best is played on the other hemisphere. Games are played when we are at work, in school, or just waking up (in the case of Saturday matches which are during our mornings and early afternoons).

The perceived lack of toughness of the athletes doesn't help either. I can go into that more in-depth but I wont.

I have to say that I find that quite funny considering that basketball is a top 3 sport in the U.S. Don't get me wrong, its my 2nd favorite sport, but basketball is even less of a "tough" sport than football is, considering that almost any contact is a foul and that diving, or flopping in this case, is very common in the game.

And don't get me started on baseball, where there is even less contact..

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by FalcaoPunch Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:42 pm

#WeGhanaWin
FalcaoPunch
FalcaoPunch
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by 1991 Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:43 pm

I don't care about football taking off there, only people that do are the suits trying to increase the revenue so they can steal more from the game.
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:00 pm

1991 wrote:I don't care about football taking off there, only people that do are the suits trying to increase the revenue so they can steal more from the game.
And supporters who wish to watch high quality matches in person on a regular basis. And supporters who wish to see the United States Men's National Team compete for major trophies. And fans who want to see American players playing at the very top levels of the game throughout the world with some regularity. And those who simply want better coverage of the sport on US television so they don't have to buy weird cable packages or get up at odd hours and listen to nonsensical or uneducated opinions being shared by those that DO get time on standard times and channels.

You know, just those money-grubbing bigwigs that make up the majority of US footy fans.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1991 Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:11 am

Okay, point well taken. I was speaking for those of us outside of America.
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by BartFargo Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:58 am

I have this theory that as more generations of Americans die off, the popularity of soccer (futbol) will increase to match the rest of the world.  It seems to me that the younger people here in the USA like soccer.  Of course it may just be that I live close to the Mexican border.  

On the other hand, what can you say about a nation that watches NASCAR -- and likes it?

BartFargo
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:09 am

I am sure I have played NASCAR games back for Sega hmm
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:14 am

America is that big that you only need southern states to become interested to become a major force. Texas has a population alone that nearly doubles Holland.MLS has already overtaken the NBA and NHL for attendances.

I am pretty confident I am going to see a world cup winning USA in my lifetime. It's going to be super gay.

USA already has easily the most registered male players in their youth system than any other country, including Germany. With foreign involvement in MLS clubs on a coaching level, development will come.

So I am not sure you can properly gauge USA's interest in football from ESPNs TV schedule, or what people are talking about at your local sports bar, interest is just more sparse.
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:24 am

Peccadillo wrote:America is that big that you only need southern states to become interested to become a major force. Texas has a population alone that nearly doubles Holland.MLS has already overtaken the NBA and NHL for attendances.

I am pretty confident I am going to see a world cup winning USA in my lifetime. It's going to be super gay.

USA already has easily the most registered male players in their youth system than any other country, including Germany. With foreign involvement in MLS clubs on a coaching level, development will come.

So I am not sure you can properly gauge USA's interest in football from ESPNs TV schedule, or what people are talking about at your local sports bar, interest is just more sparse.

Care to clarify what you mean there?
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:58 am

On a pretty personal level, the increased interest in football in America has been pretty incredible.

Sometimes it's as simple as seeing some of these people around me who have never played and hardly watch soccer pick up FIFA. They get interested in the sport and watch it. It's great to see people around me watching the World Cup- and not just the USA games.

Perhaps it's because I've gotten older and people have matured, but the amount of acceptance the sport gets around me has increased tremendously-- and this is small town Wisconsin in a place where American football is the big thing.

All it needs is time, and no, it's not just the "suits" who care.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum