free_cat
zarola
Mr Nick09
40 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Courtois: I am a top 5 GK - Page 3 Empty Re: Courtois: I am a top 5 GK

Post by Blue Barrett Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:56 pm

The Franchise wrote:The 6 Free said were undisputed better than him, those 6 plus Julio and Lloris for sure. Weidenfeller is also a safer goalkeeper to me, even if less talented and I prefer his safety.

Those guys are for me better, some of the other names I am not sure about.

So you're referring to the first 6 he named, then? Of which Valdes is really nothing special(don't act like he is) and Casillas has been on bad form for about 2 years now. Alright then.

Also, Weidenfeller is safer? Not being able to perform spectacular saves makes him safer and more reliable? Didn't this man just get raped by Bayern in the CL final? Safer? And don't say its "one match" because Cech had "one match" against Bayern and was top class for Chelsea.

I agree with Neuer, Cech, De Gea & Buffon without a doubt. I'm yet to see anything that convinces me that any other name is legitimately better. I'd add Casillas too but this isn't 2010 anymore. He's being benched by his backup these days.

Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:57 pm

Gil wrote:Mignolet better than Courtois Laughing

That scrub was first choice for about 2 years before Courtois took over. And magically they're on course to qualify for their first major tournament since 2002.

Find it amazing how many passes Lloris gets by the way. I can actually name far more individual errors he's committed than Courtois'.

The only thing anyone can hold against Courtois is his long range shot stopping, no idea where this myth he fumbles the ball a lot came from. Where is the video evidence of this?
But Mole says players are benched in national teams for no reason Rolling Eyes Laughing
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:58 pm

De Gea clearly isn't better than Courtois. At best they're at about the same level.

Only keepers better are Cech and Neuer for me.

Casillas has been shit for about 5/6 years and is atrocious aerially while Buffon lost a lot physically and mentally over the last year or so. He's been committing quite a lot of changers in recent years.

Cech, Neuer, Courtois, De Gea and Diego Lopez are my Top 5.

Last edited by Gil on Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:59 pm

Neuer is the most overrated GK in the world by far. He's like Kahn, a big game flop.

Fit Casillas is still the best. He had an off 2012-13, but he'll get back to his pre Euro form.
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:00 pm

Blue Barrett wrote:
The Franchise wrote:The 6 Free said were undisputed better than him, those 6 plus Julio and Lloris for sure. Weidenfeller is also a safer goalkeeper to me, even if less talented and I prefer his safety.

So you're referring to the first 6 he named, then? Of which Valdes is really nothing special(don't act like he is) and Casillas has been on bad form for about 2 years now. Alright then.

Also, Weidenfeller is safer? Not being able to perform spectacular saves makes him safer and more reliable? Didn't this man just get raped by Bayern in the CL final? Safer? And don't say its "one match" because Cech had "one match" against Bayern and was top class for Chelsea.

I agree with Neuer, Cech, De Gea & Buffon without a doubt. I'm yet to see anything that convinces me that any other name is legitimately better. I'd add Casillas too but this isn't 2010 anymore. He's being benched by his backup these days.
Are we talking about who is better today, who is better over the last few years, or who was better last year?

I dont like Valdes, I said that many many times, but this season so far, you cant really argue that Valdes hasnt been better so far. Last seen, Courtois was better, every year before then, Valdes was better.

I just mentioned Iker above, you can refer to that on him.

And no, you obviously know thats not why Weidenfeller is safer to me. He is safer because he makes less errors. He got raped by Bayern? What does that mean?
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:05 pm

Weidenfeller is the same "safe" keeper that cost Dortmund against Napoli right? Clutching.....straws....
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by vivabarca38 Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:08 pm

Don't act like you watch Atletico mate.It's pretty cl
Ear from watching both Mignolet is better.And LOL about Wiendfelier beong "raped" in the CL final.Didnt you watch the countless and countless saves he made from Bayern and especially Robben?I guess you didnt. rarely makes mistakes and was amazing throughout the CL campaign.Valdes is in amazing form so i don't know How that is a discussion.Handanovic,Sirigu and Valdes are def better even if you're not convinced by the others.
vivabarca38
vivabarca38
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:09 pm

Heaven forbid nobody ever made a mistake ever....Go home.

Every goalie made a mistake before, many mistakes in some cases.

He is safer because he makes less of them.

And what straws am I clutching at? Again I ask, what agenda should I have against your boy? What possible reason?

Though, I dont really expect an answer from you. You dodge posts like Floyd does punches.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ioilersrock448 Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:12 pm

Valkyrja wrote:Neuer is the most overrated GK in the world by far. He's like Kahn, a big game flop.

Fit Casillas is still the best. He had an off 2012-13, but he'll get back to his pre Euro form.
Which big games has Neuer flopped in? Not last year, he was terrific against Dortmund in the final. Chelsea in 2012, nobody was stopping that header, so much power. Not a chance against Balotelli in the Euro. So which ones has he flopped in?

Anyways goalkeepers I rate higher than Courtois include: Neuer, De Gea, Cech
Goalkeepers I rate about the same: Adler, Weidenfeller, Ter Stegen, Buffon,

Depending on form, I think Courtois is definitely a top 5 goalkeeper.
ioilersrock448
ioilersrock448
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : FC Bayern

Back to top Go down

Post by vivabarca38 Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:13 pm

Gil wrote:Weidenfeller is the same "safe" keeper that cost Dortmund against Napoli right? Clutching.....straws....
Yeah,he clearly cost Dortmund the game when he prevented Napoli from getting a second goal.
vivabarca38
vivabarca38
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:14 pm

The Franchise wrote:
Blue Barrett wrote:

Are we talking about who is better today, who is better over the last few years, or who was better last year?

I dont like Valdes, I said that many many times, but this season so far, you cant really argue that Valdes hasnt been better so far. Last seen, Courtois was better, every year before then, Valdes was better.

I just mentioned Iker above, you can refer to that on him.

And no, you obviously know thats not why Weidenfeller is safer to me. He is safer because he makes less errors. He got raped by Bayern? What does that mean?
I'm talking about who has been better the past 2+quarter seasons or since Courtois has been playing well for Athletico.

Valdes has been really good this season, no doubt. The only period I've legit had him in a top 10 conversation since I've known him. Judging him based on that alone, however, is like saying Mignolet is a top 5 GK in the world because if we're judging based on the same time frame, that's a legit argument. But of course, that's not the case. And no, Valdes wasn't better in 2011 or 2012. He he didn't do anything special in any of those years. Those were still Pep years and Barca's success was hugely based on tiki taka and when all else failed Messi was there to rescue points for Barca. I don't recall any match during the Pep years where Valdes saved the day.

Iker is clutch, no doubt, but the season is long. I'm pretty sure if Mou judged Iker based on matches vs Barca/Athletico/etc alone he wouldn't have dropped Iker. The season is long.

Weidenfeller makes less errors because he takes less risks. This also means he doesn't have the guts to perform spectacular saves. Difference is, Courtois has more than enough time on his side to weed out the errors in his game. I remember De Gea's first season at United and how he looked very shaky on long shots to the extent that teams abandoned their game plans and started launching countless long shots at him the whole game. Arry did that with Spurs against United as well. Obviously, he's past that stage now.
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:16 pm

Like Floyd dodges proper competition you mean. Wink

My point is that people are overly harsh on Courtois. I mean in what world is Valdes better than Courtois ffs?

De Gea has committed more errors than Thibaut over the past couple of years and is mediocre aerially yet he's supposedly miles better.
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:22 pm

Well I completely disagree, Valdes has been a fantastic goalie, playing at a high level than Courtois for every of the last 4-5 years minus just 1..last year.

You dont remember Valdes saving the day? Well all I will tell you is then you didnt watch enough of the games. Including the Chelsea game when he double saved against Drogba.

But lets say he didnt save the day, not even once. So what? It makes him a worse goalkeeper because whenever he made a save Barca were 3 goals in front? No of course not. What his team does to score goals has little to do with him, how can you blame him because his team are so good? No, you judge him on what he does do and the saves he does make and the errors he doesnt make. And again, other than last season, he has played a very high level since Pep came.

Mourinho dropped Iker for Adan (and then said Adan is better), clearly he's a idiot or he was just trying to make a point.

Iker over a whole season or Courtois? Both make too many errors last time I saw Iker for a whole season, I dont like either. But Iker is great in big games so I prefer him, barely.

What does Courtois errors have to do with him making great saves? What does Weidenfeller not dropping routine balls (like Courtois has done too often) have to do with him taking any risks? As I said, I prefer the goalkeeper who avoids the silly mistakes and I can rely on.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:25 pm

Gil wrote:Like Floyd dodges proper competition you mean. Wink

My point is that people are overly harsh on Courtois. I mean in what world is Valdes better than Courtois ffs?

De Gea has committed more errors than Thibaut over the past couple of years and is mediocre aerially yet he's supposedly miles better.
Your the expert, you tell me.

And yes, this season Valdes is better. I dont know if you been watching or not, but its pretty obvious to most people. Valdes has made literally one error, he miskicked a long pass and it went to the opponant..nothing came of it after that. One mistake....other than that he has been literally error free and has made fantastic saves. At least twice he has been motm for Barca. Courtois made more errors in the Madrid game alone.

De Gea doesnt commit more errors, your just waflling. Unless you want to talk about one season like 3 ago?

Nobody said miles better either, just clearly. Figure out the difference.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:27 pm

Courtois is like Diego Lopez to me... he does what he does extremely well.  But there are holes in his game.  Namely, he's slow on freekicks and he doesn't cover a lot of real estate.

In order to be a top 5 keeper, you need to be more complete imo.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:49 pm

Neuer, Casillas, Valdes, Cech, Buffon, De Gea, Lloris, Handanovic, Marchetti, Sirigu is top 10.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebaño Sagrado Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:07 pm

Gil wrote:Like Floyd dodges proper competition you mean. Wink

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/mj-laughing.gif
Rebaño Sagrado
Rebaño Sagrado
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:17 pm

Who really watches all these keepers? I probably have Willy above Courtouis based on what I've seen. Seeing as he hasn't even gotten a mention, and 30 other people have, I don't know where that puts him.

It's always interesting to see two months of under par performances somehow evolve into two years of poor form. Memory is too fragile.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:13 pm

lol, I think he put a lot of pressure on himself by saying this. Cue the "top 5 GK" jokes whenever he makes a mistake.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:32 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:lol, I think he put a lot of pressure on himself by saying this. Cue the "top 5 GK" jokes whenever he makes a mistake.
Not like GL members are gonna say it to his face Laughing
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:33 pm

Btw, I should drop that debate. Everyone seems to have their rigid opinions.

Spoiler:
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:39 pm

Gil wrote:De Gea clearly isn't better than Courtois. At best they're at about the same level.
De Gea is ahead of Courtois. At every single facet of play for a goalkeeper, De Gea is better than or equal to Courtois. Reflexes, reactions, line control, foot-speed, aerial ability, and distribution -- there is not a single aspect of play that you can say Courtois is clearly better in.
Gil wrote:De Gea has committed more errors than Thibaut over the past couple of years and is mediocre aerially yet he's supposedly miles better.
Clearly not true. Courtois has committed more individual errors than Courtois, as well as ones that have resulted in goals for the opposition. De Gea is not "mediocre aerially", that is something that most people that watch MOTD pander about. The difference between De Gea and Neuer is smaller than the difference between De Gea and Courtois.

Pip
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:39 pm

Why use spoiler? Anyway, thats rubbish and either you know it or you really havent watched Barca much at all.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:56 pm

Valdes literally hasn't had any significant impact on Barca's success in the Rijkaard years and in the Pep years. Seriously, swap him with any other half decent GK and nothing changes.
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:06 am

Are we comparing in terms of 4 years ago or today..
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:10 am

As I already said, what his team does isnt a fair reflection on his ability at all. What your saying is completely unfair.

If he has no saves to make (which has been the case at times) during a game, that doesnt detract from his ability at all.

You can only judge him on what he does as a goalie, not at what he hasnt had the chance to do to, or not do.

And your also wrong anyway, he saved us against Drogba on two difference occasion (something you should know) the first the double save in our home game and a 1 v 1 at the Bridge when you was up 1-0 before Iniesta, made a 1v 1 save on Cristiano in the 09 CL finals when the game was still at 0-0 or 1-0 to us I dont remember, saved at point blank vs Arsenal I forget which game but it was important and many more I dont even recall.

And above all this, your central point isnt true. Replace Valdes with Iker or Buffon and much of what Barca has done bogs down because both are shitty with their feet.

I think people still cant see he isnt the same goalie he was before Pep, I could probably show youtube videos of all this stuff btw if I bothered looking but I doubt anyone will watch anyway.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next