zarola
Mr Nick09
40 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Courtois: I am a top 5 GK - Page 5 Empty Re: Courtois: I am a top 5 GK

Post by M99 Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:58 pm

Kick wrote:
While I don't think Courtois is top 5, he's certainly top 15 and one of the youngest top class GK's in the world. He
*applause*

Finally a Chelsea fan not blinded by bias.

M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by cyberman Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:06 pm

De gea is irreplacble atm. Only thing he hasnt got is a body of work because hes so young

cyberman
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:44 pm

free_cat wrote:
Blue Barrett wrote:
The Franchise wrote:The 6 Free said were undisputed better than him, those 6 plus Julio and Lloris for sure. Weidenfeller is also a safer goalkeeper to me, even if less talented and I prefer his safety.

Those guys are for me better, some of the other names I am not sure about.

So you're referring to the first 6 he named, then? Of which Valdes is really nothing special(don't act like he is)
Dude, if you are trying to argue that Courtois is better than Valdes you should stop watching football. It's the most ridiculous statement I've ever read. Valdes is currently the most on form GK in the world, and he has been for the last 5 years except the past season.
So you reply a supposedly ridiculous statement with an insanely ridiculous one. Touché.
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:46 pm

ExtremistEnigma wrote:Was bored, so came up with this. Couldn't find a detailed list anywhere else.

Courtois: I am a top 5 GK - Page 5 WvPfcJ9

Shot-stopping definitely isn't the only thing that defines a great goalkeeper, but when you're supposedly one of the top goalkeepers in the world, you surely need to be in the list of the top 10 shot-stoppers in domestic competition, no?
You pull up a list of GKs in the premier league because.....???? Laughing
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawky Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:46 am

^ Me thinks it's related to the Lloris hype.

On topic - he's not top 5, he's a top 5 prospect for sure but keepers like Cech, Handanovic, Neuer, de Gea or Weidenfeller are better atm.
Hawky
Hawky
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:06 am

Lloris's best attribute isn't even shot stopping, his job for Tottenham that is so fantastic is his sweeping up between the high line. Lloris does an amazing job reading the game and coming out of his box and getting rid of the danger before it even develops.

See: his tackle on (Giroud?) in the NLD. Which is a game that would have been an embarrassment if not for Lloris.

That list is a joke anyhow. Tremmel and Marshall >> Cech, and whoever Gazzanigga is is surely better than Lloris. We can also see how Hart, Vorm, and Krul should be playing for bottom half teams.

Anybody I've ever talked to who has watched Lloris play for Tottenham even semi-regularly says he's a top goalkeeper, and it's obvious. He's been doing it consistently enough even before Tottenam (3 time Ligue 1 GK of the year, French NT captain) to say that he's up there with the very best.

Not that I take your opinion seriously anyway though as you hate everything Tottenham. Not surprised given you support Liverpool.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:54 am

Blue Barrett wrote:
ExtremistEnigma wrote:Was bored, so came up with this. Couldn't find a detailed list anywhere else.

Courtois: I am a top 5 GK - Page 5 WvPfcJ9

Shot-stopping definitely isn't the only thing that defines a great goalkeeper, but when you're supposedly one of the top goalkeepers in the world, you surely need to be in the list of the top 10 shot-stoppers in domestic competition, no?
You pull up a list of GKs in the premier league because.....???? Laughing
To show how overrated Lloris is, statistically? Rolling Eyes

How is the the list a joke? Shot-stopping isn't the only attribute that defines a great keeper as I said but nonetheless it is an important one. That's like saying xyz is a great poacher but goal scoring isn't his forte. Preventing opponent from scoring a goal is the keeper's main job. If you're talking about sweeper keepers, then look no further than Valdes, he protects the back line and undoubtedly reads the game better than Lloris. But he's also great in one-on-ones and a brilliant shot stopper. That's what makes him a world-class keeper.

Tremmel is a great shot-stopper, scrubs like Marshall and McGregor will eventually fall down the list after playing more games. Krul actually plays for a team that finished bottom half last season. Vorm doesn't really play for a legitimate hotshot team, does he? Hart has been making too many errors recently and has been bombarbed by the manager, the media.. so I'm not surprised with his low ranking on the list. Cech, who I consider the best keeper in the world atm, has not proven me wrong statistically with his high save percentage.

Anyways, up until two years back I used to like Tottenham.. until they started becoming massively overrated after AVB took over.
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:02 am

CBarca wrote:You can nitpick what I can say or respond to it as a whole. Either way, even with the nitpicking, from someone who watches the France NT consistently ...
Don't bother trying to use words you don't understand the meaning of. I did not "nitpick" at your post at all -- look at how many independent clauses you had in your single post. For example: (1) One of the best goalkeepers in the Premier League, and saves Tottenham's average defense, (2) You would love to see him play for Barcelona, and (3) Lloris is fantastic for France. I could not care less about Lloris' exploits for Tottenham.
sportsczy wrote:Just from a France NT standpoint... Lloris has been saving our arse a lot since 2010.
Of course, Lloris has been "saving France's arse" in meaningless friendlies and weak competitive qualifiers. He was an embarrassment at the 2010 World Cup, where Chicharito made a mockery of Lloris when he came off his line. Against South Africa, he flapped at the corner that resulted in a goal. At EURO 2012, he flapped at Lescott's header against England. These are all mistakes that resulted in a goal obviously, but there are probably a dozen more from these two tournaments where something stupid he has done went unpunished. For example, Sweden at EURO 2012 and South Africa at WC 2010.
sportsczy wrote:As an example, the 2 Spain games in WCQ:  In the first one, he was nothing short of incredible.  Saved a PK and made incredible saves...  even in the 1-0 loss in Paris, he got a hand on that tap in by Pedro.  He was an inch away from saving it from point blank.
No, that is not the case. In the first match, Ramos' goal was basically his fault. So far away off his line from the initial header, lucky that it hit the post, then he goes out of his way to make an acrobatic dive that he parries right to Ramos. Watch a replay of it, Sakho literally was in the midst of his foot-swinging motion to clear the ball, and he was in an unfavourable position and unable to react quick enough due to Lloris. In the second match, he should have been sent off for denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity to Pedro. How the referee did not at least call Lloris' obvious foul on Pedro in the box is mind-boggling.
sportsczy wrote:He's made mistakes as all keepers do but I have the good fortune of watching him week in week out and he's a top 5 goalkeeper and, relating this back to the thread, much better than Courtois, who...I also watch fairly regularly.
He makes more mistakes than he should. Lloris is likely the most error-prone "top 5" goalkeeper out there.

Pip
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:55 am

ExtremistEnigma wrote:If you're talking about sweeper keepers, then look no further than Valdes, he protects the back line and undoubtedly reads the game better than Lloris. But he's also great in one-on-ones and a brilliant shot stopper. That's what makes him a world-class keeper.
ExtremistEnigma wrote:Shot-stopping definitely isn't the only thing that defines a great goalkeeper, but when you're supposedly one of the top goalkeepers in the world, you surely need to be in the list of the top 10 shot-stoppers in domestic competition, no?
You can't possibly say that. Victor Valdés is a "brilliant shot stopper" and then call Lloris "overrated statistically". Because using the same logic that you have used, as well as the same parameters, you would see that Valdés has a lower saves-shots percentage than Lloris.
2012/2013: 60 saves, 93 shots faced (64.51%)
2013/2014: 21 saves, 28 shots faced (75%)
Total: 81 saves, 121 shots faced (66.94%)

These statistics are readily available at the FC Barcelona website. I will not attempt to make a graphic depicting the saving percentage of La Liga goalkeepers, but if put in your initial chart, Valdés would be ranked as the 25th best shot stopper in the Premier League, five places behind Lloris.

Pip
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:15 pm

That list really means very little, some goalkeepers will have less conceded shots because the defence in front sits deep and defends well - more shots from distance = better saving percentage. The same way some goalkeepers concede more shots closer to the goal that are harder to save because the team is attacking minded and naturally concede more shots = worse saving percentage.

For me Lloris is a world class goalkeeper, all around fantastic - on and off the line, he's commanding in the box, a fantastic shot stopper and doesn't commit too many errors as someone like Neuer for example does.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by LeVersacci Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:21 pm

Atl lost beacuse of the own goal banana
LeVersacci
LeVersacci
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:36 pm

Oh come on - that's 1 mistake! If you would consider each squandered chance by a strike a mistake, you should realise how close to perfection a GK has to be in each match - and if a GK does one mistake, he is more often than not ridiculed. No
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:10 pm

http://t.co/ueA6tpF0ym

Valdes showing why he is the best GK in the world right now.
And this considering most of his saves are one on ones...

Coutois with a good %, but very few saves because Atletico concedes very few opportunities, and most of them are probably long shots.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Killer Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:42 pm

not top 5 but top 3

for me
Neur
Courtois
Sirigu

Killer
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:58 pm

Cech > Sirigu.

I'd take De Gea over him as well.
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Killer Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:08 pm

Blue Barrett wrote:Cech > Sirigu.

as mourinho said the third goal was laughable. Rolling Eyes 

make it hard to see cech in the first 10

Killer
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:17 pm

Killer wrote:
Blue Barrett wrote:Cech > Sirigu.

as mourinho said the third goal was laughable. Rolling Eyes 

make it hard to see cech in the first 10
Sirigu doesn't even have to deal with decent opposition for 90% of the season Laughing

Every GK has made an error at one point or the other. No GK actually goes an entire season without letting in one they could have saved. They aren't robots.
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:42 pm

Blue Barrett wrote:Every GK has made an error at one point or the other. No GK actually goes an entire season without letting in one they could have saved. They aren't robots.
That. If you would hold strikers to the same measure you use for GKs, there would be not a single striker even near a Top100 anywhere.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by juvealbanian Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:43 pm

No Courtois is not top 5 since TOP 5 looks like this:

1.BUFFON
2.BUFFON
3.BUFFON
4.BUFFON
5.BUFFON
juvealbanian
juvealbanian
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:12 pm

Courtois is best GK in the world right now not even close

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:33 pm

El Chelsea Fuerte wrote:Courtois is best GK in the world right now not even close

Yea let's not delve into the realm of unnecessary hyperbole and sensationalism as few will take you seriously with a post like that.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:01 pm

Arquitescu wrote:
El Chelsea Fuerte wrote:Courtois is best GK in the world right now not even close

Yea let's not delve into the realm of unnecessary hyperbole and sensationalism as few will take you seriously with a post like that.

ok remove the not even close part sorry

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by huntsman Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:38 pm

not everything which is best is good. Medicine tastes bad but its good for you.
huntsman
huntsman
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebaño Sagrado Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:32 am

huntsman wrote:not everything which is best is good. Medicine tastes bad but its good for you.
how can mirrors be real if our eyes arent real?
Rebaño Sagrado
Rebaño Sagrado
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:03 am

I decided to put the language question here: http://www.goallegacy.net/t35381-linguistics-what-language-do-deaf-people-think-in

And now back to topic, please.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebaño Sagrado Mon May 12, 2014 6:27 am

rofl rofl
Rebaño Sagrado
Rebaño Sagrado