West Bromwich Albion 1 - 1 Arsenal: Bendtner runs into a post, Bendtner kicks ball at ball boy, and something about a penalty shootout

+13
mzamani
Sina
RealGunner
Wilson37
Raptorgunner
beatrixasdfghjk.
DuringTheWar
urbaNRoots
REWB
Lex
Eman
aleumdance
Jay29
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

West Bromwich Albion 1 - 1 Arsenal: Bendtner runs into a post, Bendtner kicks ball at ball boy, and something about a penalty shootout Empty West Bromwich Albion 1 - 1 Arsenal: Bendtner runs into a post, Bendtner kicks ball at ball boy, and something about a penalty shootout

Post by Jay29 Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:23 pm

Looking every bit like he's just been lost in the mountains for the past year, Nicklas Bendtner made his triumphant return to action. Enlightenment reached and new found sense of humbleness discovered, it was Bendtner's job to lead the line and, well, he actually did okay, at least in the sense that he wasn't that terrible.

Having said that, Bendtner could have unlocked his long hidden potential and we still wouldn't have offered much as an attacking force, such was the general meh-ness of the supporting cast. I don't mean that in a disperaging way at all. The reality was that a rusty Miyaichi, a decent-but-that's-it talent in Eisfeld and an inexperienced Gnabry was hardly going to produce much in the way of chance or goals. Add a Bendtner who hasn't even played a game of football in over a year and you've got the embodiment of ineffectiveness.

At the other end, our second choice backline plus the BGF also performed as expected. They were solid and dealt with most of what West Brom threw at them. The midfield duo of Arteta and the debutant Isaac Hayden also did well; Hayden, especially, was confident on the ball and passed well.

All this in mind, it wasn't a surprise that the game played out the way it did. There were little chances, a low tempo and not much in the way of effort. The fact we even scored at all could be considered a minor miracle. The goal we conceded was certainly avoidable, as our marking wasn't up to the appropriate standard.

So we went into the prolonged torture that is extra time and not much changed. It was only towards the end of the game that things opened up and chances started to be made. Only, it was West Brom who made the chances. Again, that should not have been surprising. The age of Arsenal's midfielders were 18, 18, 17, 18 and 19. A striker was playing right wing and a right back was playing centre midfield. You really cannot expect any discipline or defensive cover from a midfield like that.

We managed to luck out and get the game to penalties where you wouldn't blame anyone for thinking that we had little chance of winning. West Brom weren't playing that well but had experience on their side, while Arsenal had no choice but to rely on the youngsters. When Gnabry, carrying a knock, missed his (Arsenal's second) penalty, it seemed like West Brom would go on to win. But it seemed that the pressure got them as Dawson decided to aim for the wrong keeper, while Olsson and Akpom admirably kept their cool to slot our their pens and get us level at 4-4. Almafitano missed his penalty, and Nacho man stepped up and coolly converted the winner.

So somehow, we've gone through and West Brom will go out wondering how the hell they haven't beaten us. Performance aside, it's a very good win for a couple of reasons: it keeps our momentum going, it'll be an invaluable experience and nice boost for the young players who took part, Arteta and Bendtner got some good minutes under their belts and, of course, we're through to the next round. To face Chelsea.

Well, with any luck we'll be able to field the likes of Chamberlain, Podolski and Rosicky and won't have to rely on kids against what will be a very strong Chelsea second team.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

West Bromwich Albion 1 - 1 Arsenal: Bendtner runs into a post, Bendtner kicks ball at ball boy, and something about a penalty shootout Empty Re: West Bromwich Albion 1 - 1 Arsenal: Bendtner runs into a post, Bendtner kicks ball at ball boy, and something about a penalty shootout

Post by aleumdance Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:23 pm

thanks God i did not watch
but Eisfield :bow:
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

West Bromwich Albion 1 - 1 Arsenal: Bendtner runs into a post, Bendtner kicks ball at ball boy, and something about a penalty shootout Empty Re: West Bromwich Albion 1 - 1 Arsenal: Bendtner runs into a post, Bendtner kicks ball at ball boy, and something about a penalty shootout

Post by Eman Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:38 pm

aleumdance wrote:thanks God i did not watch
All he did was score. Not a very impressive display from any of our offensive players tbh, although many shouldn't have been expected to shine given their individual circumstances. Great job hanging on and winning the shootout though. Even the youngsters have great character in this team West Bromwich Albion 1 - 1 Arsenal: Bendtner runs into a post, Bendtner kicks ball at ball boy, and something about a penalty shootout Xowen10
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:43 pm

The entire game felt like a long train ride across the country, staring at bales of hay, with the occasional spotting of cows and horses

Having said that, it was an act of God that we scored from open play and when Eisfield slid the ball in, I went bonkers
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:43 pm

aleumdance wrote:thanks God i did not watch
it was actually a very good game to watch, man i was super impressed with some of the youngsters. never thought they could step up like that and match westbrom away from home. got some talented kids that could make it at arsenal for sure. i was impressed with olsson, ryo, bellerini and akpom, they were great to watch.
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:45 pm

RG will automatically take off 25% of anyone who says this game was good lol, because that is an outright lie
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:48 pm

I thought Monreal was excellent all game, almost unbeatable one-on-one, contributed a lot in attack and took his penalty well. My man of the match without a doubt. Akpom and Bellerin did very well aswell when they came on playing in unfamiliar positions.

Everyone worked incredibly hard to make sure we continue our great run away from home (even Bendtner although he got very tired in the end) so credit to the boys.

In the next round we play Chelsea... well not really lucky but atleast we play at the Emirates, Cazorla, Walcott and possibly Podolski will be back (only for others to get injured Sad)

Also everyone (except Mertesacker and Gnabry/Ryo) are well rested for our next two matches Swansea away and Napoli home so that is a great positive Smile

Credit to the youngsters, this was a good experience for them and they showed they have more balls than some of our more experienced guys.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:53 pm

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BVCrn9wCIAAgRAB.png
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:54 pm

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BVCrSJOCYAAXTNA.jpg
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:14 am

when i saw the line up, I decided not to watch, knew game would be nerve wracking ....

you don't put that team against West Brom away from home and expect to have a norm al heart condition lol..

glad game is over
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:46 am

aleumdance wrote:when i saw the line up, I decided not to watch, knew game would be nerve wracking ....

you don't put that team against West Brom away from home and expect to have a norm al heart condition lol..

glad game is over
Normal heart?
They made it sound like they were trying not to fall asleep.

And Bendtner doesn't actually need glasses, does he?

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:12 am

West Bromwich Albion 1 - 1 Arsenal: Bendtner runs into a post, Bendtner kicks ball at ball boy, and something about a penalty shootout Article-2432131-18453E3700000578-403_634x338
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:22 am

We had a game today?Embarassed 
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:39 am

Raptorgunner wrote:We had a game today?Embarassed 
LOL...

this was me 2 years back when I had no idea we had Carling Cup games
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:06 am

aleumdance wrote:
Raptorgunner wrote:We had a game today?Embarassed 
LOL...

this was me 2 years back when I had no idea we had Carling Cup games
I did watch the first half at work. Laughing
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:29 am

a very rare League cup Arsenal match.. very nice exeprience and hell of a match for our youngsters..

the initial line up looked pretty strong with our first team defence pairing and Arteta.. the attack was all youth along with Bendtner who has hardly played football in the last 2 years.. and it was very unusual of an Arsenal cup game.. usually we see youngsters full of energy and passion playing to impress Wenger.. but this time we saw young players who were staying back and trying to defend.. was it lack of confidence ? i think it is more like they were asked to play like that.. we didnt create any chances.. but we defended well and broke West Broms attacks..

the 2nd half we saw us opening up and playing fast.. we scored from an opening when Gnabry intercepted the high ball and with some good passes, nice assist for Bendtner and a wonderful touch and finish for Eisfield.. and we conceded a typical Arsenal goal to bring West Brom back to the game..

the injury time was all about tiredness.. the fresh substitutes looked good for both teams.. last 5 minutes was madnes when gave up and but survived due to sheer luck.. and again i never thought our teenagers could survive the pressure of the shootout..
overall i see it as a well battled victory which has a fair share of luck involved.. some may blame that for the lack of flair and quality in attack.. but you have to keep in mind that most of these players esp midfield and attack was made of youth players who have nothing more than preseason experience.. and they fought hard against a more physical and experienced West Brom away..

Ratings
Fabianski - 6
Jenkinson - 5
Metskr - 7 MOM
Vermelen - 6
Monreal - 6
Arteta - 6.5
Hayden - 5
Gnabry - 6
Ryo -6.5
Eisfield - 5.5
Bendtner - 5.5
Akpom - 7
Bellerin - 6
Olson - 6
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:40 am

we played the first half with the handbrake on.. we usually see confident youngsters giving it all a go to impress Wenger.. but yesterday all were standing back and trying to defend in 2 rows.. or were they asked to play like that..?

Ryo despite his pace never tried to take on the fullback, but when he did occasionally put some very good crosses.. enough to be the best crosser in the team.. with his pace, he can be a genuine winger which we are lacking all these years..

and hats off to Akpom too.. the youngest player and he looked the most impressive and dangerous of our attacking players.. or may be he was fresh when West Brom got tired.. but that is really great for someone who is just 17..

Eisfield.. whenever i saw him play, is too ball shy for a CAM.. he needs to come and ask for the ball.. he has the knack of getting into good positions and finishing.. but he needs to show more qualities to be a good CAM..

Gnabry.. mixed performance.. had his flair at moments but most of the time failed and his decision making was poor.. better when played through the centre in 2nd half than in the wings..

Hayden.. Good physique and pace for a DM/CB.. some neat passing and holding under pressure.. but went for a nonsense challenge which could have been a red..

Jenko.. we see him attacking more these days.. may be it is his improved confidence.. his passing and ball control skills have improved by a lot.. lacked the final ball most of the time but was lively and put in some dangerous crosses and good passes at the attacking end.. and impressive stamina which kept him going even at 120th minute..

Olson and Bellerin looked good in midfield.. i thought we are going to lose it when Arteta came off.. but they did a good job in the midfield better than first half..
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:50 am

It was a very anti Arsenal match. Not even Arteta managed to keep the ball well. It was that bad lol ( although he was rusty so you can excuse him )

Gnabry disappointed me most of the times. He did show his talent in stages but he has a LONG way to go to even consider being a Theo deputy. However he may as well start against Swansea/Napoli.

Ryo was not any better. But his defensive work was excellent. And his crosses are as good as they were before. He has been injured for most of the last 2 years so you can understand the lack of development.

Hayden was decent minus the yellow. Didn't make any errors and kept things simple.

Bendtner tried hard. That's all i can say. And he did care about the match which was nice to see.

Penalty shoot out was a bit weird but a good experience for the kids.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:54 am

Oh and i thought Akpom made a very good impression after coming on. He can be what Afobe couldn't be.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:48 pm

Crazy thought
Gnabry has played so many minutes
gonna start vs Swansea?

i would Start Bellerin at RW vs Swansea

would protect his fullback offer width,Pace link up and crossing high up the pitch
cant do much worse than other young options we have
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by mzamani Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:52 pm

Seeing Bendtner mess that potential 1on1 chance reminded me o that Barca game 2 years ago
mzamani
mzamani
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:00 pm

Bendtner telling Wenger that he wants to take the first penalty. :bow:

West Bromwich Albion 1 - 1 Arsenal: Bendtner runs into a post, Bendtner kicks ball at ball boy, and something about a penalty shootout BVFuqIUCMAAeeOo
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:55 pm

Bendtner :bow: 
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:09 pm

VendettaRed07 wrote:Bendtner :bow: 
He had a good game for a guy who has not played in a long time.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:03 pm

Def. I want him to have a good season so badly lol

He seems like a changed person. I'm rooting for him
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum