Has the Messi brand exceeded the Ronaldinho brand in your country?

+19
Forza
Kick
VivaStPauli
FennecFox7
VanDeezNuts
CBarca
Funkentelechy
Harmonica
The Franchise
Motogp69
RealGunner
Albiceleste
Jack Daniels
Onyx
Milan31
VendettaRed07
McAgger
Donuts
Casciavit
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Has the Messi brand exceeded the Ronaldinho brand in your country? Empty Has the Messi brand exceeded the Ronaldinho brand in your country?

Post by Casciavit Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:44 pm

This topic has crossed my mind a couple of times actually, is Messi more well-known than Ronaldinho was, say 5 years ago? Say you go to a random person on the street back in 2008, or ask a friend who knows nothing about the sport and ask him to name a football player, he will mostly likely answer Ronaldinho or Ronaldo. The other day I asked one my friends father, do you know anything about football he said nah, only 1 player, he replied by saying Ronaldinho, I asked him do you know Messi, he said no who is that. But say had I asked that in 2007/2008 he probably would have replied with Ronaldinho as well.

I've also asked others before, more than half of them didn't know who Messi is, even though they know who Ronaldinho was. And I also feel that the Messi brand hasnt exceeded the Ronaldinho brand, even though Messi's achievements are superior to Dinhos.

Point is, do some people in your country still not know about Messi? And if they do, do you think more people know about him than Ronaldinho?

Last edited by Casciavit on Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Has the Messi brand exceeded the Ronaldinho brand in your country? Empty Re: Has the Messi brand exceeded the Ronaldinho brand in your country?

Post by Donuts Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:47 pm

Well in Mexico he has been known ever since he scored that sexy chip against Mexico 2008? or 2007 don't remember.
USA has been getting to know him more as of late considering he has made tours to Miami, New York etc and recently being on 60 minutes sports (television program) apparently in japan having that weird shaving cream commercial he must be known to be featured there xD
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Has the Messi brand exceeded the Ronaldinho brand in your country? Empty Re: Has the Messi brand exceeded the Ronaldinho brand in your country?

Post by McAgger Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:24 pm

The non-footballing population of the US only Beckham here.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:29 pm

Messiah "Aggerswagger" wrote:The non-footballing population of the US only Beckham here.
Yeah. If you were to ask a random person, "Name a footballer, doesn't matter any one"...

They would say Tom Brady

But then if you reasked the question they would they would say Beckham, or maybe Pele.

Messi doesn't do enough off the field in terms of advertising himself in the media to be a household US name
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:33 pm

Eh well I only really visit Miami, Chicago and New York and Messi is on most football (or soccer) stores display
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Milan31 Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:38 pm

In Canada, most people I talk to say CR7 and/ or Messi.
Milan31
Milan31
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:49 pm

Donuts wrote:Eh well I only really visit Miami, Chicago and New York and Messi is on most football (or soccer) stores display
He is, but thats not quite enough to take him to the next level. He would need to make movie cameos, go on talk shows, do big commercials, have videogames named after him specifically like "Messi Soccer 13!" or something (Becks and pele had their own specific games). Have a soda named after him lol. And so on.

While people in the sport always talk about him he doesn't quite talk about himself enough or promote himself in the media to big a super huge media celebrity, not just a sports celebrity.

But its not that doing any of that would really be a good thing Razz
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:50 pm

VendettaRed07 wrote:
Messiah "Aggerswagger" wrote:The non-footballing population of the US only Beckham here.
Yeah. If you were to ask a random person, "Name a footballer, doesn't matter any one"...

They would say Tom Brady

But then if you reasked the question they would they would say Beckham, or maybe Pele.

Messi doesn't do enough off the field in terms of advertising himself in the media to be a household US name

Obviously the small portion of the population that watch football know their stuff but majority know jack squat about football. It's not surprising considering %70 percent of 'Muricans don't even know who the vice president is?
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:54 pm

Why's it a good thing for Messi to be known by everyone?

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack Daniels Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:00 pm

Well Messi has a very large billboard advert in the Metro's main highway here in the Philippines.. Yea he is pretty well known in my experience.

EDIT : Having a billboard larger than Pacquiao's in my country says something.

Last edited by Jack Daniels on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jack Daniels
Jack Daniels
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:03 pm

I don't think he's up there yet where Ronaldinho was in the United States but he is definitely getting very popular and known very quick. I believe signing with EA helped him get more known in the states through advertising etc. The average American might not know much about the sport but many watch the world cup or may hear random tidbits of information about the biggest happenings, Messi winning Ballon d'Or, Messi scoring 5 goals etc. He's already a household name for sure but I don't think he has the popularity that Ronaldinho did in the US, at least not from my personal experience.

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:11 pm

But do you guys feel more people 'know' Messi now than Dinho say 5 years ago?
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack Daniels Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:47 pm

Casciavit wrote:But do you guys feel more people 'know' Messi now than Dinho say 5 years ago?
Not in my land, Though not surprisingly since Leo is kinda a media shy type of guy. While Dinho was fantastically advertised by Nike from left to right in every corner of the world.

But Messi's name will probably come to it's own soon.
Jack Daniels
Jack Daniels
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:51 pm

Everyone knew Ronaldinho due to his freestyle, tricks etc.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:52 pm

In england it's different. Ronaldinho is long forgotten. Just talked about like people talk about Zidane or Real Ronaldo

It's Messi vs C.Ronaldo in here and because of the united fans, Ronaldo is nearly as famous as messi if not more. but Rooney is above both lol
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:58 pm

RealGunner wrote:In england it's different. Ronaldinho is long forgotten. Just talked about like people talk about Zidane or Real Ronaldo

It's Messi vs C.Ronaldo in here and because of the united fans, Ronaldo is nearly as famous as messi if not more. but Rooney is above both lol

I think people in England rate Ronaldo higher because he's strong, EPL proven and 'complete'. By 'complete' I mean what casual fans would think of complete as, e.g. heading, strength, speed etc. Not the way Messi is complete.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:00 am

Yohan Modric wrote:
RealGunner wrote:In england it's different. Ronaldinho is long forgotten. Just talked about like people talk about Zidane or Real Ronaldo

I think people in England rate Ronaldo higher because he's strong, EPL proven and 'complete'. By 'complete' I mean what casual fans would think of complete as, e.g. heading, strength, speed etc. Not the way Messi is complete.

Yep. Also because of ex united fans who still love Ronaldo.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:01 am

Yeah, everyone "knows" Messi, but he will never exceed the magic that was Ronaldinho.
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:13 am

Messi needs to have an ad where he hits the crossbar with volleys 3 times in a row, each time the ball goes straight back to him.

Fake, I dont care..that was fun Laughing

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:33 am

Fifa will continue to help Messi gain more popularity like Ronaldinho, having his face on EA products (for the best selling sports game in the world) and fifa street.
Let alone Messi is also only 25, not yet to hit his peak both in the game and popularity.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:16 am

Lionel Messi (16th), iconic veteran David Beckham (20th), and Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo (24th) -- rank among the 50 most popular athletes in America.

Also in my country I think Messi surpassed Ronaldinho long time ago.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Funkentelechy Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:29 am

I would say he's just as known as Dinho in big/middle cities here.
Funkentelechy
Funkentelechy
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Hamburg

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:01 am

I think Messi is as well known as Ronaldinho where I am (although neither have much exposure).

Might be due to my buddies and I making it a goal to make him well known though Laughing although by 'where I am' I refer mostly to my high school, not where I live. Where I live he's as well known as Joe Schmoe across the lake.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:22 am

what mainly feeds the 'not in the know about football' population is media, advertisements, and well FIFA 13 so maybe not yet as dinho was marketed out the butt basically at a point but messi definitely surpass him.

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:10 am

Ronaldo is way more known in america.. just saying. especially by the girls here :coffee:
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next