Kick
JAY-Z
Onyx
RealGunner
Art Morte
94 posters

Page 31 of 32 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32  Next

Go down

David Moyes is a Football Genius - Page 31 Empty Re: David Moyes is a Football Genius

Post by Helmer Wed 20 Jan - 7:30

Hapless_Hans wrote:I'm sure they can. There's about 500 million people on this planet with the last name Silva, and I'm sure every single one would be a better choice than Moyes.
The United thing has broken Moyes. He will no doubt West Ham get relegated.

Firenze wrote:Don't understand it. West Ham have an alright team, willing to spend every summer..pretty big name. Why sign this scrub? they can do better.

because that is what we all think of Moyes :coffee:

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

David Moyes is a Football Genius - Page 31 Empty Re: David Moyes is a Football Genius

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun 21 Mar - 7:36

Class act. I was colossally wrong.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Sun 21 Mar - 7:49

meh, if he has them playing well next season I'll believe the hype.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun 21 Mar - 7:56

He is doing what he used to do best at Everton. He always had a great eye for shrewd buys and he actually knows how he wants to play and what players he needs in his system.

Great to see him reclaiming his reputation
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun 7 Nov - 10:29

He is doing an incredible job
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Sun 7 Nov - 10:29

WHAT A MANAGER, UNPLAYABLE
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Sun 7 Nov - 11:44

bring him home
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun 7 Nov - 11:48

that's the spirit, Firenze!
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun 7 Nov - 12:13

Why would he take such a downgrade though ?
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sun 7 Nov - 13:29

Doing an incredible job at West Ham. Been something else to watch their improvement since he came in. They're a very good team
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu 17 Mar - 15:31

he really is
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Thu 17 Mar - 15:38

First PL manager to win against Sevilla in the EL?
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucifer Thu 17 Mar - 22:26

U know hindsight is 20/20 but United should have been more patient with this guy imo

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Thu 17 Mar - 23:03

Lucifer wrote:U know hindsight is 20/20 but United should have been more patient with this guy imo

Nope. They merely should have hired better managers after him.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Fri 18 Mar - 0:47

Hapless_Hans wrote:
Lucifer wrote:U know hindsight is 20/20 but United should have been more patient with this guy imo

There's no way to objectively confirm who's right, but I also do think they should've been more patient with him, and contrary to your belief, I firmly believe that Arsenal will greatly benefit from being patient with Arteta.

I think it's absurd that all managers are held up to the same standard, regardless of whether or not someone has the immeasurably greater benefit of taking over a ready-made team or the freedom to compose one that's close to what they would like to work with.

It's talent and cohesiveness that lead to consistency and general performance in football, and I don't think I'll ever understand how a lot of people seem to think that's something that simply trickles down from their manager, regardless of circumstance.

It makes much more sense to me that the most successful clubs will be the ones that afford their manager the time and resources to build a cohesive team that's close to their ideal, rather than arbitrarily switching managers during times when the team will be scrutinized for not being close to that ideal.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Fri 18 Mar - 6:19

Hapless_Hans wrote:

Let's be honest, every manager since SAF got more time and money to spend than Moyes. So it is fair to say United could have been more patient with the guy. His signings were Fellaini and Mata, there latter allegedly being forced to him.

But jury is still out there if he is a big team coach. One thing to coach underdogs, another to coach superstars.
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Boca Juniors

http://www.tikitakatoom.ml

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri 18 Mar - 10:59

Moyes is a very good coach, but he isn't made for a top club and neither is his football. He was failing horribly at Man United and was sacked rightly. Let's not forget back then Man United were still the league champions and had expectations which have since been lowered.

If in hindsight it seems like of all post-SAF managers he's the one who would have deserved more time, that's only because the appointments after him were such trainwrecks as was the general work of the board, while he was just an appointment that didn't work out and maybe could never work out, seeing the shoes he had to fill.

Appointing Van Gaal was a bad joke, getting Mourinho to follow him was the worst possible idea, and Solksjaer was the interim manager who just stayed on because somehow the club forgot to appoint the proper new manager.

It is a supposed top club who didn't think of appointing a top manager in a whole decade and then wonder why they're not doing that greatly.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri 18 Mar - 11:09

Moyes is very much like a Scottish Emery i think.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri 18 Mar - 12:16

Hans wrote:Moyes is a very good coach, but he isn't made for a top club and neither is his football. He was failing horribly at Man United and was sacked rightly. Let's not forget back then Man United were still the league champions and had expectations which have since been lowered.
he inherited an aging, past their prime squad... only De Gea out of all those players went on to have a fruitful and sustainable career
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Fri 18 Mar - 13:28

We gon act like Moyes didn’t have United playing some of the most dreadful football we’ve seen? He had them breaking cross records every other game. Laughing
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Fri 18 Mar - 23:54

All of them did. Even Ole. And that was the one thing I was excited about when Ole was appointed after having been forced to watch Van Gaal and Mourinho's brands of football. Even Mourinho played relatively entertaining football when he had more offensive-minded players at his disposal at Real Madrid than what he's traditionally had at other clubs.

It may be a controversial opinion, but the counter-attacking brand of football we played under him was generally more entertaining to watch than how we played under Zidane, which was another attempt at breaking crossing records.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat 19 Mar - 0:05

El Gunner wrote:
Hans wrote:Moyes is a very good coach, but he isn't made for a top club and neither is his football. He was failing horribly at Man United and was sacked rightly. Let's not forget back then Man United were still the league champions and had expectations which have since been lowered.
he inherited an aging, past their prime squad... only De Gea out of all those players went on to have a fruitful and sustainable career

Yeah it was a tough gig, no doubt.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Sat 19 Mar - 11:01

Thimmy wrote:All of them did. Even Ole. And that was the one thing I was excited about when Ole was appointed after having been forced to watch Van Gaal and Mourinho's brands of football. Even Mourinho played relatively entertaining football when he had more offensive-minded players at his disposal at Real Madrid than what he's traditionally had at other clubs.

It may be a controversial opinion, but the counter-attacking brand of football we played under him was generally more entertaining to watch than how we played under Zidane, which was another attempt at breaking crossing records.

I agree they all played shitty.

I just have vivid memories of Moyes' United more. Seeing them play a 4-4-2 where they tried getting the ball to Valencia who would cross it to Fellaini in the box gave me PTSD. Laughing

I'm not even against crossing. My favorite type of play involves overloading one side with short passing, then a long ball to the opposite wing, where your winger has a 1v1, and then after getting past their man they cross the ball into the players in the box.

https://streamff.com/v/dc1d24

https://streamable.com/qh6h

Something like this. Although getting these situations to happen is easier said than done. I just rarely remember his United doing any of that and it was just mindless crossing into the first defender.

Even if Zidane's was like that at least you had Ronaldo and Benzema attacking the box with Marcelo, Carvajal, Modric, and Kroos whipping crosses in. United had Young and Valencia whipping crosses in with Fellaini and Welbeck challenging them in the box LMFAO.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Sat 19 Mar - 11:31

Also, I don't think Ole was a poor tactician. His pre-game tactical adjustments based on the opposition were quite interesting. Playing Pogba on LW in big games was something Fergie would've done too. He has a winning H2H record against Pep doesn't he?

He knew how to coach the team to sit back and counter. However, nowadays as a top team, you need to be able to coach how to dominate smaller teams. I just don't think he could do that. Now there are other top coaches who weren't good at doing that, but they compensated with it by player quality.

Based on United's signings I assume that's where his mindset was. Sign a fast, experienced CB in Varane to help defend against counters so you can play a higher line which lets you put sustained pressure on the opposition. Sign another dribbling attacker to destabilize parked buses as their movement will pull defenders out of their position. And then sign the GOAT goalscorer to profit off the many crossing situations you get against teams who park the bus.

The issue came with the dynamics between players.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Sun 20 Mar - 3:25

I get the impression that he didn't have that level of influence over transfers. The only time I recall him directly mentioning transfer targets, was when he named Dybala among the players he was interested in, in a Norwegian interview. I don't know if they even attempted to sign Dybala.

They got Wan Bissaka and Daniel James that season. The club's plan seemed to be to move away from making the same high-profile, transfer errors that they'd made in the past, but I really can't tell if their general team building has changed at all since Ferguson left. That's why I recognize that as the club's primary issue. Maybe it will change when they finally get a sporting director in their current manager. I wouldn't bet money on it Laughing
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Thu 14 Apr - 12:06

He is really
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 32 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32  Next