Most heartbreaking moments you've experienced in football?

+32
timzink
Blue Barrett
FalcaoPunch
Onyx
LeSwagg James
rwo power
McLewis
Sri
Rossoneri Ninja
Juveman17
DeviAngel
justdoit_
Kick
Jack Daniels
zizzle
Lord Spencer
VivaStPauli
Forza
Lupi
DeletedUser#1
Kaladin
RealGunner
CBarca
Ganso
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
Jay29
McAgger
The Franchise
Rebaño Sagrado
la bestia negra
BarrileteCosmico
Le Samourai
36 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Most heartbreaking moments you've experienced in football? Empty Most heartbreaking moments you've experienced in football?

Post by Le Samourai Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:32 pm

Posting in the best moments thread ironically had me start thinking about the worse ones.

There are many and I doub't I can list all of them.

-Watching Zidane get sent off broke my heart. I wanted him to retire a champion. He deserved to retire a champion.

- The Pique goal in the 6-2. We had just mounted this epic comeback in La Liga - unbeaten for like a 6 months under Ramos, and if we won this game la liga would be right there. Then we come out and lost 6-2....and freaking Pique of all people scores.

-The Kaka penalty. Had a bad feeling about it. Hated the fact that he came on instead of Callejon. Knew he was going to miss.

- Various moments from the CL - every year there's something. Going to Bayern really believing we'd win for Roy Makaay to score a 1st minute goal. Having Morientes knock us out was poetic justic. The Nedved and Pjanic goals. Plenty to cry about lol
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Most heartbreaking moments you've experienced in football? Empty Re: Most heartbreaking moments you've experienced in football?

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:33 pm

Fuc*ing Germany. Twice.

Last edited by BarrileteCosmico on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Most heartbreaking moments you've experienced in football? Empty Re: Most heartbreaking moments you've experienced in football?

Post by la bestia negra Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:35 pm

lots

2012 : there was something wrong that night ive broken friendships lost family members but the emptiness I felt as soon as drogba scored his penalty was unexplainable

la bestia negra
la bestia negra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebaño Sagrado Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:38 pm

Maxi Rodriguez goal
Rebaño Sagrado
Rebaño Sagrado
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:54 pm

I think the biggest ones come in the Champions league. La Liga can hurt, but you know there will be a chance at direct revenge next year.

Though one particular one that stands out was when we were sunk 1-0 thanks to Julio Baptista..great goal as it was, that stung.

But mostly its the CL, you never know when you going to make it again really.

So various moments from that. Especially with Barca who very often control the game..when you lose, you always feel like its your own doing more than anything else.

When we lost to Liverpool in I think 06-07 it was just sad. I saw us literally give up, it was like we really didnt want to be there. Ronaldinho was finished, you could see it, the team relied on him and he didnt have it anymore and our attempts to attack were just pathetic and predictable. The game looked close, we went out on away goals..but the entire manor of the game was sad, it was clearly the end looking back.

But we went at it again the next year with the same core and a few additions, but lost to Man Utd the same way but even more predictably.

Further annoying was the fact neither English team played all that well, we were just so far off what we was.

Since then Inter and Chelsea sucked, but after all the success during the period and be realistic, you dont win CL's in a row, you cant even assure yourself of it..its too difficult to be the best team in the world every single time its called upon against other strong teams.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:56 pm

- Losing Athens in 07 when Pool were the better team.
- Zidane red card in WC Final
- Losing Torres Sad
- Forcing Raul out Sad
- 2-6 and 0-5 losses to Barca
- Ramos, Ronaldo, and Kaka pk misses
- Carroll's goal ruled out in FA Cup Final
- Not winning the league in 08-09 season Sad
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:01 pm

5-0 meant so little to me.

First half of the season, nothing on the line other than bragging rights. I was weirdly happy because the ref was afraid to send off Ramos and he was just going in on Barca.

Ramos got violent too. Not that fake footballer violence either

Which had a kind of catartic effect for me within the game.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:04 pm

The 2006 Champions League final defeat ranks as the most heartbreaking moment I've experienced. It's bad enough to lose a final; it's even worse when you were winning 2-1, the guy who scores the winner was the last player you'd have expected to do so and the goal itself was more down to shoddy goalkeeping than anything else. It was a depressing way to end what had been such a great run where we beat Real Madrid and Juventus along the way.

The 2011 Carling Cup final is an obvious one, though it was more humiliating than heartbreaking. We completed dominated that final and probably would have won if the game went into extra-time, but then that mix up between Szczesny and Koscielny right at the death just cost us the whole final. Then Birmingham go on and get relegated and our whole season goes down the toilet. Just a horrible day, really.

There are a couple I've experienced with England, too. The 2-1 defeat Brazil in the 2002 World Cup was probably the first real moment of football heartache I experienced, because I was young and wasn't really aware of just how good that Brazil side was. Then there's losing to Portugal on penalties at Euro 2004 and the 2006 World Cup.

A small one I experienced was when Southend lost to Wrexham in the LDV Vans Trophy final (now the Johnstone's Paint Trophy) back in 2005 (I think, might have been 2004). Southend had such great support that day, but unfortunately didn't turn up on the day.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by NiallQuinnsdiscoPants Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:06 pm

Division One Play-Off Final 1998 - Charlton 4 Sunderland 4 (aet) Charlton won 7-6 on penalties

The pick of the bunch has to be Charlton's epic 7-6 penalty shoot-out success over Sunderland at Wembley.

Without researching it is difficult to remember who scored Charlton's winning penalty, but it is fair to say everyone remembers Michael Gray unfortunately missing The Black Cats' last spot-kick that put The Addicks in the Premier League.

Niall Quinn's second of the game meant Sunderland were just five minutes from promotion until Richard Rufus sent the game into extra-time.

The North East side regained their lead through Nicky Summerbee, but Clive Mendonca's completed his hat-trick on 103 minutes to send the contest to a dreaded shoot-out.

After some research, it was Shaun Newton who put The Addicks 7-6 up, but they needed Gray's miss to spark scenes of joy from Alan Curbishley's side in the Wembley sun.

Charlton striker Clive Mendonca, a Sunderland fan as a boy, scored the first hat-trick in a play-off final to earn his side a draw, after they went behind three times.

The game went to extra-time and Sunderland were looking marginally the more lively of two tired teams. With eight minutes of the extra period gone Summerbee put them 4-3 up, smashing a cushioned lay-off from Quinn past Ilic after a patient build up.

Seconds later Quinn could have put the result beyond doubt, but six yards out he failed to connect with a glorious cross from Allan Johnston on the left wing.

But the game was not over and Mendonca scored his hat-trick with a clinical finish to make it 4-4 right at the death of the first period.

Jones crossed low and hard from the right but the ball was behind Mendonca. That was no problem as in one fluid movement he controlled it and fired beyond Perez.

Both teams were by now exhausted, and Sunderland's Alex Rae and Craddock missed good chances as penalties loomed.

NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:18 pm

watching pirlo and buffon cry at the euro when all the spanish players were celebrating with their kids.hell,i almost shed a tear.i just didnt cry because i was watching it with my family

Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:21 pm

The 3-1 loss to Inter probably was the worst. It was a bad year already for other reasons, but I was very optimistic about the CL campaign. About being the first team to retain the title...and the team was playing beautifully and great and they were the highlight of my life at the moment. I remember facing Inter and the fact that we dominated them in the group stage 2-0 and I was not expecting an easy game but one where we won definitely. I was elated after Pedro scored the first goal, but I watched us get frustrated time and time again as Inter scored once, twice, and I got darker and darker. By the third goal I felt humiliated. Then I watched as they sat back more and we couldn't do anything, and penalty shouts went without calling...

Everything in my life seemed to culminate in this loss (obviously I've learned since then that you don't-or try not to- mix football with your life issues and emotions). That was hard for me to deal with.

But I'm young yet and will experience a lot more heartbreak.

To a lesser extent the US-Slovenia game in WC2010 wasn't good either but I was more pissed than heartbroken. Especially since we were still in it.

Also to smaller extents the 5-2's in NLD's were both embarrassing and also a 3-0 a couple years back. They were as I said, embarrassing, but I was able to shake them off much easier than if they were Barca.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:23 pm

2006 Champions League Final. Sitting there with an expression-less face for the next few hours. Thought that was the year, after beating freakin Juventus, Madrid, Villarreal. Taking the lead with 10 men only to lose in the last 15 minutes...

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:25 pm

Ganso wrote:watching pirlo and buffon cry at the euro when all the spanish players were celebrating with their kids.hell,i almost shed a tear.i just didnt cry because i was watching it with my family

Yeah i felt sorry too

Il Senatori leaving Milan, shed a tear that day
Spoiler:

Istanbul and Maldini retiring also were heartbreaking for me
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:29 pm

2 april 2009

28 january 2011

nothing else even comes close.

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Lupi Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:29 pm

Being a Roma fan i have tons of those moments , from games in the current season to loss against Liverpool years ago but the one that i never forget has nothing to do with Roma , it happened with Inter game

i wish i could break Milito's leg prior to that game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57W6Luu9aZw

i still believe that Roma deserved 2009-2010 scudetto
Lupi
Lupi
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:31 pm

Speaking of Maldini,Pippo's savior goal on his last game was terrible.The special thing was that he announced it was going to be his last game.I cried like a pussy a la crudelli Laughing

here is crudelli

Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:39 pm

Istanbul '05. One of the worst days of my life. This is the King and Queen of all heartbreaking moments. And yet, the idiots who made FIFA 13 thought it would be a good idea for commentators to bring it up every 2nd game I play with Milan. At least I got some closure in '07 when Milan got revenge. Sweet, sweet revenge.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:41 pm

Everything German football has done since 1996 certainly qualifies.

2006, 10, and 12 losses are very much up there. I think 2012 Euros upset me most, because I actually thought we underperformed for once.

2004 Euros were brutal. Oh. And I still have nightmares of our 1998 WC exit. That really shocked me. I was aware our teams was getting old, but frankly, we had just won the Euros, and I was kind of expecting our 4th star.

I'm pretty sure Löw will manage to upset me even more in 2014 though Very Happy
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:03 pm

As a Milan and Italy fan, I have had moments of pure joy sprinkled by moments of pure heartbreak.

Losing against Deportivo in 2004 and Liverpool in 2005 were so ridiculous to me that a feeling of unexplained apathy downed over me for days. I don't remember the 2005 one as much because we got our revenge in 2007, but God that team should have made it more often.

Gattuso's match where he collided with Nesta and I knew he was nearly blind really broke my heart. Seeing the gladiator suffer as such.

But the most match that affected me was the Euro final. Mostly because at that stage I trained myself not to connect so much with the success or defeat of my teams. Yet, the fashion we went through to the final made it so wonderful. Even two goals down I saw Italy making a comeback. When Motta was out injured I began to weep. It felt as if we were lured so high up just to be stricken back down. Could not watch a football match for a while after it. It was the most depressing defeat I ever saw, and being a Milan fan, that qualifies for a lot of experience.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:19 pm

that cold night in rome.
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack Daniels Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:46 pm

Nedved's goal in the 2nd leg of the semis tops my mind..

Also Zalayeta's(aet) the start of our r16 run...

Juve scum.. Mad

And not to mention Last season's CL and the 5 - 0 against Barca.
Jack Daniels
Jack Daniels
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:58 pm

Zalayeta :bow:

Sorry bro, but thats a name I aint heard in so long...easily forgotten but quite a good player at some point.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:08 pm

2008 for sure.

But hey, thats what we love Football for, the emotions.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by justdoit_ Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:13 pm

Torsten Frings ruins my childhood; World Cup 2002...
justdoit_
justdoit_
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Tottenham HotSpurs

Back to top Go down

Post by DeviAngel Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:20 pm

miklos feher's death
the msot heart breaking also was Piermario Morosini's death, how he was fighting trying to get up all the time I'll never forget that I never will ... that man wanted to live and having such pain and such weight on his chest he was still not giving up !!

2006 Juventus relegation that was the most painful
DeviAngel
DeviAngel
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next