Grande_Milano
Forza
Kick
rwo power
Bellabong
barca 2011
10 posters

Go down

Most successful GK in PK shootouts. Empty Most successful GK in PK shootouts.

Post by barca 2011 Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:58 am

Before the England/Italy shootout I was surprised by the stark contrast of both keepers but only in experience. Namely, shootout experience. Both keepers are class but while Buffon has won a WC final shootout (and many more I'm sure) this was Hart's first shootout with England. So while this may be a tough stat to track I was wondering who is the Goalkeeper that can make the claim to the most penalty shootout victories in official matches?? It might be easier to include recent history but I know we have some real archivists here on the forum. My guess is Buffon.
barca 2011
barca 2011
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Most successful GK in PK shootouts. Empty Re: Most successful GK in PK shootouts.

Post by Bellabong Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:42 am

Imma go with huntsman's answer.
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Most successful GK in PK shootouts. Empty Re: Most successful GK in PK shootouts.

Post by rwo power Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:31 am

Wrll, I'm hunting for such a stat myself. Last I found was this, but this is just a general overview:

All time penalty shoot-out stats for national teams (until 2006)
http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/penstats_doc.html

Penalty Shootout Trivia (up to 2011)
http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/penalties.html

rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:34 am

I thought we had a thread on this a month back or so.

IIRC it was a surprsing winner.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:42 am

The thread I set up was about GKs saving PKs in normal play, not about PK shootouts. Which reminds me, I have to update this in the next time.

https://goallegacy.forumotion.com/t20586-top-penalty-killers
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:59 am

My slightly-related answer to the question in the title of this thread is Hans-Jorg Butt on a technicality. Not only a decent saver of penalties, but a good penalty-taker. He only failed to convert once from the spot out of 30 attempts - that 1 was saved by FSV Mainz 05's Heinz Müller.

More on topic... contrary to the OP, Buffon is not renowned for penalty-saving. Even in the '06 WC, he didn't save any - Trezeguet hit the crossbar for France to give Italy the advantage. So whilst a GK may have won many shoot-outs, it is not necessarily their hard work - unless the GK does some kind of Yann Sommer-esque intimidation to make the penalty-taker miss their shot.

Reina and Dida were both good penalty savers, but that's anecdotal evidence. Neuer and Casillas aren't bad either.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by Grande_Milano Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:46 am

Neuer is very very decent, and Lehmann, oh and Kahn. So yeah German keepers
Grande_Milano
Grande_Milano
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:01 am

Grande_Milano wrote:Neuer is very very decent, and Lehmann, oh and Kahn. So yeah German keepers
Interestingly except for Sepp Maier. Maier was actually one of the worst penalty savers ever. ^^
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by barca 2011 Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:03 am

Forza Rossoneri wrote:My slightly-related answer to the question in the title of this thread is Hans-Jorg Butt on a technicality. Not only a decent saver of penalties, but a good penalty-taker. He only failed to convert once from the spot out of 30 attempts - that 1 was saved by FSV Mainz 05's Heinz Müller.

More on topic... contrary to the OP, Buffon is not renowned for penalty-saving. Even in the '06 WC, he didn't save any - Trezeguet hit the crossbar for France to give Italy the advantage. So whilst a GK may have won many shoot-outs, it is not necessarily their hard work - unless the GK does some kind of Yann Sommer-esque intimidation to make the penalty-taker miss their shot.

Reina and Dida were both good penalty savers, but that's anecdotal evidence. Neuer and Casillas aren't bad either.
I see your point about buffon and I know he didn't save one in the 06 final (plus he lost at euro 08) but I wasn't necessarily wondering who's statistically the best (i.e. saved the most) but who has won the most shootouts. That said, I also knew that this was a tough stat to obtain.
barca 2011
barca 2011
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:32 am

I doubt he will have won the most shootouts , but he deserves a mention here . Roman Berezovsky.

I first watched him , at least i have no memory of him before it , in Greece's last friendly before the Euros's , against Armenia . The guy stopped 2 penalties in the 2nd half and the commentator said Berezovsky has made numerous others in his career and that he hasn't conceded a penalty for quite some time .

According to wiki , he has made 14 PK saves in the Russian championship .

** The GK you are looking for might be Lev Yashin . I don't know his stats but he was rumoured as the GK with the most PK saves ever .
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:09 am

Well, I looked a bit around about Roman Berezovsky - the most interesting page I found is in Russian, though. I really wish I'd have kept my meagre Russian a bit more aktive, but from what I saw this looks not too shabby indeed (albeit the data is about 4 years old):

http://www.championat.com/football/article-23530.html?rucom=1

If I read it correctly, Berezovsky faced 48 pens, of which he saved 12, while 4 of the pens hit post, bar or missed. That means 33% of saved pens up to 2008.

rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Grande_Milano Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:32 pm

From grandad i ve heard that Yashin used to hypnotise penalty takers. He was called "black spider" for doing that to opponents. Lehmann share this traits (just remember Argentina match and that fake note that was intended to scare argies Razz )

overall rating of gks:

yashin
mayer/dzoff
ebanks
shmeichel/buffon

seems legit?
Grande_Milano
Grande_Milano
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:37 pm

Grande_Milano wrote:overall rating of gks:

yashin
mayer/dzoff
ebanks
shmeichel/buffon

seems legit?
Sepp Maier was pretty abysmal in penalties. He was fantastic as GK in play, but he only saved 12 of 75 penalties that went against him (and this thread here is about GK and pens, not the best Gk overall ^^)
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Grande_Milano Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:43 pm

i know,

yashin is overall best keeper, saved pens, did clutch saves, athletic jumps, good on corners and standards, unbeatable in 1 v 1 play.

they dont make keepers like this anymore Neutral or i just watched too many videos with him Cool
Grande_Milano
Grande_Milano
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:20 pm

Grande_Milano wrote:i know,

yashin is overall best keeper, saved pens, did clutch saves, athletic jumps, good on corners and standards, unbeatable in 1 v 1 play.

they dont make keepers like this anymore Neutral or i just watched too many videos with him Cool
They don't even make keepers like Oliver Kahn anymore *sighs*
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:31 pm

Iker has a good record in shootouts. Saves at least two whenever I've seen him play in them. (He's only been in 3 tbf and one was a friendly lol)
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:08 pm

Well, Neuer was successful in the DFB-Pokal SF 2011/12 of Bayern against BMG (2:4 for Bayern after 0:0), in the CL SF 2011/12 of Bayern against Real (1:3 for Bayern after 3:3), in the CL Last 16 2007/08 of Schalke against Porto (1:4 for Schalke after 1:1).

He didn't succeed in the CL Final 2011/12 of Bayern against Chelsea even though he held one and even scored one Sad

These are the shootouts I remember, dunno if there were more (possibly in the DFB-Pokal with Schalke)
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by S32TABLANCA Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:50 pm

Dont forget Iker in the shootout against Italy in 2008.
S32TABLANCA
S32TABLANCA
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by che Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:05 pm

portugal's ricardo...?
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by S32TABLANCA Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:49 pm

And by the way, Maltese keeper Justin Haber (who plays for Ferencvaros or some other Hungarian team, but is being courted by our champions Valletta) also saved two penalties in one game. This was against Switzerland in a friendly earlier this season, and then match ended 1-1.
S32TABLANCA
S32TABLANCA
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down