Quinten Metsys
Ali
urbaNRoots
Highburied
Sri
20 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Where the problems lie.  Empty Where the problems lie.

Post by Sri Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:01 am

I am not posting as regularly here and there has been a reason for it. Its not like I have become suddenly busy of late; I had a lot on my plate even earlier in the season, but I made time for Arsenal. Now I just don't see the point.

I took a few minutes to reflect on what we discuss here. And its pathetic to admit that we go about the same topics after every match.

1. Wenger has lost it and should be replaced. He is stubborn and isn't good with his tactics anymore, or with his substituitions.
2. Board is more interested in its bank balance than the team doing well.
3. We are not even fit to play in the Europa League next season.
4. Players suck. One week we crib about Ramsey, the next Song, then Walcott, then Mertesacker..
5. We have the worst luck with injuries and our medical team is shite.
6. We are linked with so many players through the season and we keep having boners for a bunch of players, thinking we will have a messiah in one of them to save our season; while we sign only youth players and rejects from other clubs.

I am not going to defend the board or Wenger here, even though I have my arguments for it. But we all know this is how the club functions. We have a beautiful philosophy and a beautiful ideal of what the game is. There are ideals worth aspiring for.

But I digress. What I want to say is that despite everything, this is what we are. And instead of discussing the same problems over and over again, what we should be doing is getting behind this team and helping them push forward.

I can imagine the pressure Ramsey feels coming on everytime he plays. He is expected by us to play the way Fabregas played. Admit it. We still see that position as the "Fabregas role". Ramsey is a player who is coming back from a long injury and the expectations on his young shoulders means that he tries more than he is capable of and gets nervous in front of goal.

These are the very expectations which weigh down Theo. Constant complaining about how he is nothing but for his pace. He almost feels a need to do excessive and messes up stuff.

Think of Song. He has to take on the role of a creator and messes up his defensive duties. He would not have to do that if his midfield partners were creating enough chances and the strikers buried half of them.

Think of RvP. Pure class. But he has to get bogged down by the lack of sharpness behind and around him and has to almost play next to Arteta to bring the ball out!

Think of Chamakh. A player who has seen sporadic chance coming his way. A footballer, or any sportsman, thrives off confidence. When you don't have that, you need some good games back to back. You can't expect him to come off the bench and slot in a goal! Think of the service he had at the beginning of last season and now, explains the drought doesn't it?

Think of Arshavin. Class player. Blamed for lack of defensive contributions. He is a AM/SS who we play on the wing. Till last season, nobody blamed Fabregas for his defensive contributions! Why take it out on Arshavin, an aging player who can't last 90 minutes? If the DM and the LB do their jobs properly, there would be no reason for Arshavin to run back to defend. But the DM is busy trying to create and that leaves holes and everyone has to fall back in a counter!

Defensive frailities stem from the lack of proper full backs and the DM not covering enough. Agreed that Per is slow, but he was brought in to be an experienced head at the back, who reads the game well. His height doesn't imply that he has to be brilliant in every header! His game is different! And he does that well enough. He relies on a pacy partner to take care of what he lacks in speed. Koscielny can do that most of the time. Yet we blame Wenger and Per for half our goals.

Sagna is back now. But all the blame on Djourou before that? He is a second choice CB who we were singing praises of last season. Its good to remember that and not crib on his performances when he is playing shit out of position.

This is a long post but its my perspective on things. We play a team game. So the performance of individuals which we point fingers at is largely influenced by the performance of the players around them. There is a bigger problem than saying Ramsey or Walcott or XYZ should be benched or sold. See the big picture.

Lastly, I want to encourage you all to get behind this team. We need to treat every game as a cup final, rightly so, to secure a top 4 spot. We have 15 games to do that in. And we definitely need to push for that FA Cup. Lets do this guys, come on.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Where the problems lie.  Empty Re: Where the problems lie.

Post by Highburied Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:15 am

Yeah lets do it... :vagi:

One question though: How much money and energy you have spent this season alone?

Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:24 am

Wenger is to blame then, because our lack of depth. When we don't have any other to play in one position for example Ramsey, of course the pressure will fall to him. If we had better depth, we could rest Song, Walcott and Ramsey for some games without losing so much points in the league.

The thing is all are trying their best, it's not that they aren't trying - most of our XI is clearly out of form, and if we had a little bit more quality depth we wouldn't have these problems.

No one can me convince that we didn't need a striker and a winger, maybe maybe even a creative midfielder.

Anyway I still believe we can make Top4, my only hope is that Walcott and Ramsey regain a bit form - we are clearly creating chances, just need to be more clinical. We weren't that bad.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:44 am

highburied wrote:Yeah lets do it... :vagi:

One question though: How much money and energy you have spent this season alone?

Lots more than I could have afforded to spend! Sad

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:47 am

urbaNRoots wrote:Wenger is to blame then, because our lack of depth. When we don't have any other to play in one position for example Ramsey, of course the pressure will fall to him. If we had better depth, we could rest Song, Walcott and Ramsey for some games without losing so much points in the league.

The thing is all are trying their best, it's not that they aren't trying - most of our XI is clearly out of form, and if we had a little bit more quality depth we wouldn't have these problems.

No one can me convince that we didn't need a striker and a winger, maybe maybe even a creative midfielder.

Anyway I still believe we can make Top4, my only hope is that Walcott and Ramsey regain a bit form - we are clearly creating chances, just need to be more clinical. We weren't that bad.

I agree on the signings. We have too much deadweight (again, much discussed). Trimming this would significantly clear up our wage bills and ensure funds for those quality signings we crave. We don't need much, just 2-3 players. Not a squad overhaul!

What makes me go bonkers is that we have the depth but that is messed up with injuries! imagine if diaby and wilshere weren't injured!!

Makes two of us praying for those two to regain form! Walcott could be such a brilliant player for us if he was in form!!

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:03 pm

I have to agree with Sri. On every last thing. Sri is that general on the battlefield that rallys the troops at the end of a retreat.
Ali
Ali
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Quinten Metsys Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:12 pm

One thing that I have felt as a problem for a long time at Arsenal is an alternate plan or a PLAN B.

We always go with the same formation,strategy etc., irrespective of our opponent and their strategy.Like Liverpool of the present that have a different strategy while facing good teams which has led to them having an enviable record against the good teams{Only few clubs can imagine of defeating the Manchesters within the space of weeks}.

And we would just manage to do well if we sell ALL the deadweight and buy Podolski{since he is adept at playing both as a striker and winger} and probably a good attacking midfielder or promote one from our Reserves,which is going the most likely thing to happen.

Any more players would make the squad huge and would deprive players of their chances.
Quinten Metsys
Quinten Metsys
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:13 pm

Ali"The Superman"8775 wrote:I have to agree with Sri. On every last thing. Sri is that general on the battlefield that rallys the troops at the end of a retreat.

Embarassed

Well if its us rallying at a retreat, we better make it count. #Top4CLSpot

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:15 pm

I don't often contribute in this section, however I just wanted to say that this was a beautiful post to read sri, from a supporter I feel we should all strive to be; patient and understanding but most of all driven by a dignified passion. +1
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Quinten Metsys Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:15 pm

srigooner wrote:
Ali"The Superman"8775 wrote:I have to agree with Sri. On every last thing. Sri is that general on the battlefield that rallys the troops at the end of a retreat.

Embarassed

Well if its us rallying at a retreat, we better make it count. #Top4CLSpot #FinishingAboveSpuds

Corrected it for you Thumbs up
Quinten Metsys
Quinten Metsys
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:30 pm

dostoevsky wrote:I don't often contribute in this section, however I just wanted to say that this was a beautiful post to read sri, from a supporter I feel we should all strive to be; patient and understanding but most of all driven by a dignified passion. +1

Thanks mate. These are the toughest times I have seen for this great club and weathering this storm is getting difficult with every passing game.

After a few trophyless seasons, the pressure was immense last year. We went for everything and till the Carling Cup final, we looked set to accomplish that. We were a fearsome squad. But things have not gone our way ever since. Its almost a year of extremely tough times. So much has gone terribly wrong. Sad

ernie_schwarz wrote:
srigooner wrote:

Embarassed

Well if its us rallying at a retreat, we better make it count. #Top4CLSpot #FinishingAboveSpuds

Corrected it for you Thumbs up

Lol.. As much as we would all love that, there is no way I see that happening in 15 games man. This is a 4 way tussle between us, Liverpool, Newcastle and Chelsea for the fourth spot. The top 3 have pulled away and are in their own tussle for the league. (spuds title contenders for the league - *groan*!!)

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:43 pm

I wish everyone at Arsenal could read this, get inspired and fight for every game like the war that they are now Where the problems lie.  3176931354

Good job Sri. I think everything will/has to be fixed in the summer. Not going to comment on top4 for this year atm, but we most certainly will make it next year if we play our cards right in the summer window.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:01 pm

I agree with everything you said captain Sri. :bow:

Wengers time is up.

This has been the story of Arsenal, year after year we are one or 2 players away from competing and the board has the money and Wenger wont spend it. For the past 8 years we have been lucky to have few gifted players who help up compete and to the top4.

Every year we lose our best players and Wenger never replaces them and brings in young kids or rejects.

How on earth we did not get a big name player? money talks if Wenger was serious about signing a player he would have done it, he was just playing with all of us and he is taking us all for fools. RVP will leave us and Wenger will not do shit about.

We sold Nasri for 25 million and he so freaking cheap to spend that money on buying one of the best forward in the world Podolski. How on earth does Arsenal only bids 8 million for Podolski? :facepalm:

How would Wenger take it if a team offers 8 million for RVP? we would all take it as a biggest insult.

We have 2 rich owners and all we have done is make them richer and they have not invested any money on the team. Wenger does not want to leave Arsenal becsue he has all the power and know no other team would allow him to do what he does.

We are not a big club anymore, and top 4 is a dream now thanks to a Stubborn manager.

Last edited by Raptorgunner on Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:03 pm

imagin if wenger doesnt sign anybody this summer Shocked
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:09 pm

REWB wrote:imagin if wenger doesnt sign anybody this summer Shocked

Wenger will not be here in the summer, his time is up. If he stays RVP will leave and he will sign a 17 year to replace him.

Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:09 pm

Remember when people said Gervinho was shite and that he was doing nothing for the team?

Check it; four league games without Gervinho = No wins

This is a glaring example of how much we miss his creativity and energy
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:11 pm

Lex wrote:Remember when people said Gervinho was shite and that he was doing nothing for the team?

Check it; four league games without Gervinho = No wins

This is a glaring example of how much we miss his creativity and energy

I agree lex, he worked his ass off every game unlike some other players. We have missed him a lot and cant wait till he comes back.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:16 pm

Honestly, the only thing Gervinho was lacking was a proper final ball. He razed opposing defenses, and that's an invaluable asset we've tried to replace with AOC. A frontline of AOC-RVP-Gervinho would raise hell.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:22 pm

MJGunner wrote:Honestly, the only thing Gervinho was lacking was a proper final ball. He razed opposing defenses, and that's an invaluable asset we've tried to replace with AOC. A frontline of AOC-RVP-Gervinho would raise hell.

For his first year in EPL he has done well imo, his final ball will improve and he is a big asset to our team. I just hope to god when he comes back Walcott is benched for good.

AOC-RVP-Gervinho :bow: :bow:
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:24 pm

MJGunner wrote:Honestly, the only thing Gervinho was lacking was a proper final ball. He razed opposing defenses, and that's an invaluable asset we've tried to replace with AOC. A frontline of AOC-RVP-Gervinho would raise hell.

The problem lies in the midfield. That strike force would still not bang in goals if they don't have a good link moving the ball from the back to them.

How many of you noticed that Koscielny carries the ball forward and runs all the way from the heart of our defense into deep into the other half? He won a penalty doing this against Villa ffs. Its brilliant to watch him do that. BUT HE IS A FECKING DEFENDER. Why does he have to do that job which our midfield should be doing? If the midfield does that, he can stay back => better at defending a fast counter. #logic

EDIT: The midfield is also why we see RvP falling back from a striker's role to the midfield to create chances. If Ramsey or Rosicky or whoever plays in the advanced midfield does that job, RvP can afford to stay higher up and create more goal scoring chances. => More goals for him!

Him dropping deep also means Theo or Ox or Gervinho or Ramsey(!) have to make a run and take a shot from the chance he creates. And none of these guys are clinical enough to do that right now. Three of them missed a sitter of a chance each just last evening. Now you also see why there is a lack of goals?

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:46 pm

srigooner wrote:

The problem lies in the midfield. That strike force would still not bang in goals if they don't have a good link moving the ball from the back to them.

How many of you noticed that Koscielny carries the ball forward and runs all the way from the heart of our defense into deep into the other half? He won a penalty doing this against Villa ffs. Its brilliant to watch him do that. BUT HE IS A FECKING DEFENDER. Why does he have to do that job which our midfield should be doing? If the midfield does that, he can stay back => better at defending a fast counter. #logic

EDIT: The midfield is also why we see RvP falling back from a striker's role to the midfield to create chances. If Ramsey or Rosicky or whoever plays in the advanced midfield does that job, RvP can afford to stay higher up and create more goal scoring chances. => More goals for him!

Him dropping deep also means Theo or Ox or Gervinho or Ramsey(!) have to make a run and take a shot from the chance he creates. And none of these guys are clinical enough to do that right now. Three of them missed a sitter of a chance each just last evening. Now you also see why there is a lack of goals?

Who should take the blame for not replacing Cesc? stubborn Wenger.

We could have had Mata, but no we only offer half of what he is worth. :facepalm:

Mata is 2wice the player Nasri is and we only offer 12 million for him and Wenger sells Nasri for 25 million.

We have to be fair its nice making for the club but we have to replace players with Qualty players.

Ramsey and Walcott are not starters they are good bench players, they have done nothing making them starters at Arsenal every single game.

Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:06 pm

Spin it any way you like, but our problem this season is simply a lack of quality. You can talk about tactics, confidence ect but the only player in our team who can claim to be a top player is van persie. Blame whoever is respsonsible for selling cesc and nasri for 50million (along with not paying their wages anymore) and then keeping the money. Tempting to blame wenger but im not sure the board let him have the money, should have just bought mata, if we had there is no way chelsea would be ahead of us.

Though we can still finish in the top 4, it wont be pretty, chelsea are pretty awful themselves, its a case of who can be the least rubbish
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:36 pm

Definite truth on the midfield. Completely tame, all they do is pass the ball backwards, no defense splitting passes or moves, their main function seems to distribute the ball to the backline.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:53 pm

MJGunner wrote:Definite truth on the midfield. Completely tame, all they do is pass the ball backwards, no defense splitting passes or moves, their main function seems to distribute the ball to the backline.

Imagine if Denilson were in that midfield. :brickwall:

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:14 pm

Tempting to blame wenger but im not sure the board let him have the money, should have just bought mata, if we had there is no way chelsea would be ahead of us.

They did let him have the money. We spent £50mil on players in the summer and I can assure you that that did not come out of the original summer budget.

For the purpose of future discussion, it's Wenger who decides how much he wants to spend and who he spends it on. The board are not holding him back.

Definite truth on the midfield. Completely tame, all they do is pass the ball backwards, no defense splitting passes or moves, their main function seems to distribute the ball to the backline.

Saying the midfield only passes backwards is completely wrong. Clearly all three of them do pass forwards and do switch the play. The reason why it doesn't create is because there one too many components lacking.

Creating chances is the result of the combined efforts of the midfield and the attack, not just the midfield alone. Our current midfield and front three are simply not connecting as it should, and it's been this way for a while now.

I think we can afford to commit one extra midfield to attack, as right now Ramsey is the only out-and-out attacking midfielder we have. One of Arteta or Song should break forward and support the attack more often as both right now seem too content to sit in midfield.

Also, when van Persie does drop deep the two wingers and most advanced midfield need to be dynamic in their runs off the ball and give him options. That's the whole point of having a false 9. Although maybe having proper full backs will remedy that somewhat. Despite his average showing Walcott's movement was much better last night with Sagna back at right back.

I'm not in the boat that the squad needs an overhaul. Our strongest eleven is good enough to get into the top four and possibly challenge for the title if they're at their best. It just needs depth and more options, so we can drop players not playing well without fear of the replacement being just as bad. There are only two positions I'm currently unhappy with and that's attacking midfield and the forward positions. Everywhere else I think we're good.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next