both

RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Jesus > Religion - Page 2 Empty Re: Jesus > Religion

Post by Senor Penguin Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:20 pm

RealGunner wrote:both
The historical evidence of Jesus' existence only suggests that he existed and much of it comes from the Bible. In other words, there's a probability of his existence but how you weigh this probability is entirely up to you. It is certainly not a fact that he existed nor is it a fact that he was anything but a fictional character derived from the Bible.

To believe that he actually existed AND had supernatural abilities would require a big chunk of faith. Which in this case is an euphemism for delusion.

Given the circumstances, I don't see how it's merely my opinion. It's the conclusion most would take considering the evidence (or lack thereof).

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Hades Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:12 pm

i personally like the buddha the best.. not as a god, which the later forms of buddhism which is now popular around the world has become - mahayana .. the earlier one was much better which focused on self effort to attain nirvana.. it was quite valid that time when the brahmins had made the caste system which evaluated status on the the basis of birth.. that form of buddhism didnt show buddha as a god ,just a great human being which is right.. it just told people to live a righteous life and respect others.. all these tantric rituals and boddhisattvas and worshipping him is just bull
Lord Hades
Lord Hades
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan28 Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:39 am

Senor Penguin wrote:
RealGunner wrote:both
The historical evidence of Jesus' existence only suggests that he existed and much of it comes from the Bible. In other words, there's a probability of his existence but how you weigh this probability is entirely up to you. It is certainly not a fact that he existed nor is it a fact that he was anything but a fictional character derived from the Bible.

To believe that he actually existed AND had supernatural abilities would require a big chunk of faith. Which in this case is an euphemism for delusion.

Given the circumstances, I don't see how it's merely my opinion. It's the conclusion most would take considering the evidence (or lack thereof).

Who is this that darkens this counsel with words without knowledge? Brace yourself like a man, for I will question you, and you shall answer me. Where were you when the earth's foundations were laid? Tell me, if you understand. Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know! Who stretched a measuring line across it? On what were its footings set, or who laid its cornerstone- while the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy? Who shut up the sea behind doors when it burst forth from the womb, when the clouds were made it’s its garment and it was wrapped in thick darkness, when limits were fixed for it and its doors and bars were set in place, when it was said, 'This far you may come and no farther, here is where your proud waves halt?

Have you ever given orders to the morning, or shown the dawn its place, that it might take the earth by the edges and shake the wicked out of it? The earth takes shape like clay under a seal, its features stand out like those of a garment. The wicked are denied their light, and their upraised arm is broken. Have you journeyed to the springs of the sea or walked in the recesses of the deep? Have the gates of death been shown to you? Have you seen the gates of the shadow of death? Have you comprehended the vast expanses of the earth? Tell me, if you know all this.

What is the way to the abode of light? And where does darkness reside? Can you take them to their places? Do you know the paths to their dwellings? Surely you know? Have you entered the storehouses of the snow or seen the storehouses of the hail, which are reserved for times of trouble, for days of war and battle? What is the way to the place where the lightning is dispersed, or the place where the east winds are scattered over the earth? Who cuts a channel for the torrents of rain, and a path for the thunderstorm, to water a land where no man lives, a desert with no one in it, to satisfy a desolate wasteland and make it sprout with grass? Does the rain have a father? Who fathers the drops of dew? From whose womb comes the ice? Who gives birth to the frost from the heavens when the waters become hard as stone, when the surface of the deep is frozen?

Can you bind the beautiful Pleiades? Can you loose the cords of Orion? Can you bring forth the constellations in their seasons or lead out the Bear with its cubs? Do you know the laws of the heavens? Can you set up God's dominion over the earth? Can you raise your voice to the clouds and cover yourself with a flood of water? Do you send the lightning bolts on their way? Do they report to you, 'Here we are'? Who endowed the heart with wisdom or gave understanding to the mind? Who has the wisdom to count the clouds? Who can tip over the water jars of the heavens when the dust becomes hard and the clods of earth stick together?

Do you hunt the prey for the lioness and satisfy the hunger of the lions when they crouch in their dens or lie in wait in a thicket? Who provides food for the raven when it’s young cry out to God and wander about for lack of food? Do you know when the mountain goats give birth? Do you watch when the doe bears her fawn? Do you count the months till they bear? Do you know the time they give birth? They crouch down and bring forth their young; their labour pains are ended. Their young thrive and grow strong in the wilds; they leave and do not return.

Who let the wild donkey go free? Who untied his ropes? His was given the wasteland as his home, the salt flats as his habitat. He laughs at the commotion in the town; he does not hear a driver's shout. He ranges the hills for his pasture and searches for any green thing. Will the wild ox consent to serve you? Will he stay by your barn at night? Can you hold him to the furrow with a harness? Will he till the valleys behind you? Will you rely on him for his great strength? Will you leave your heavy work to him? Can you trust him to bring in your grain and gather it to your threshing floor?

The wings of the ostrich flap joyfully, but they cannot compare with the pinions and feathers of the stork. She lays her eggs on the ground and lets them warm in the sand, unmindful that a foot may crush them, that some wild animal may trample them. She treats her young harshly, as if they were not hers; she cares not that her labour was in vain, for God did not endow her with wisdom or give her a share of good sense. Yet when she spreads her feathers to run, she laughs at horse and rider.

Do you give the horse his strength or clothe his neck with a flowing mane? Do you make him leap like a locust, striking terror with his proud snorting? He paws fiercely, rejoicing in his strength, and charges into the fray. He laughs at fear, afraid of nothing; he does not shy away from the sword. The quiver rattles against his side, along with the flashing spear and lance. In frenzied excitement he eats up the ground; he cannot stand still when the trumpet sounds. At the blast of the trumpet he snorts, 'Aha!' He catches the scent of battle from afar, the shout of commanders and the battle cry.

Does the hawk take flight by your wisdom and spread his wings toward the south? Does the eagle soar at your command and build his nest on high? He dwells on a cliff and stays there at night; a rocky crag is his stronghold. From there he seeks out his food; his eyes detect it from afar. His young ones feast on blood, and where the slain are, there is he.

Would you discredit God’s justice? Would you condemn him to justify yourself? Do you have an arm like God's, and can your voice thunder like his? Then adorn yourself with glory and splendour, and clothe yourself in honour and majesty. Unleash the fury of your wrath, look at every proud man and bring him low, look at every proud man and humble him, crush the wicked where they stand. Bury them all in the dust together; shroud their faces in the grave. Then God himself will admit to you that your own right hand can save you.

Will the one who contends with the Almighty correct this? Let him who accuses God answer this!

Jonathan28
Jonathan28
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:32 pm

Thou dost protest too much, methinks. Have ye a point or nay? Laughing

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan28 Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:50 pm

Senor Penguin wrote:Thou dost protest too much, methinks. Have ye a point or nay? Laughing

Yeah, I went way off topic there.

Basically I agree with the guy, you would have to gone to church your whole life to understand what he is saying. Just switch on the God Channel and you have people asking you for your money, it ain't cool. Jesus doesn't need religion to exist, he was there before the religion even started.

Urggh, if it wasen't for the Catholic Church and its refusal to deal with the child abuse scandals people wouldn't be so against the church like they are, no wonder protestants are so quick to distance themselves from it. By god, why can't Muslims, Jews and Christians justget along, we basically worship the same god I mean come on, we all believe in the same Old Testament, yet its what comes after that that seperates us.

Honestly, screw religion, I believe in Jesus not a bunch of old perveted, money hungry men in dresses. Jefferson, I'll join you in your crusade.
Jonathan28
Jonathan28
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan28 Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:50 pm

Senor Penguin wrote:Thou dost protest too much, methinks. Have ye a point or nay? Laughing

You still haven't answered my orignal post though, don't worry i'll wait :coffee:
Jonathan28
Jonathan28
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:35 pm

Ordinho10 wrote:

Yeah, I went way off topic there.

Basically I agree with the guy, you would have to gone to church your whole life to understand what he is saying. Just switch on the God Channel and you have people asking you for your money, it ain't cool. Jesus doesn't need religion to exist, he was there before the religion even started.
History suggests there was no Jesus before religion. Jesus did indeed need religion to exist, especially as far as the consciousness of people in the year of 2012 goes. We can thank Saint Paul for giving us Jesus and founding Christianity.

Urggh, if it wasen't for the Catholic Church and its refusal to deal with the child abuse scandals people wouldn't be so against the church like they are,
Well that IS a fine reason to abstain from their nonsense even though the "holy" books also give plenty of reasons for people to distance themselves. Amongst many illogical and contradictory sentiments, there is an endorsement for child abuse, slavery, degradation of women etc. Modern people need to succumb in order to approve of such hideous immoral deeds.

By god, why can't Muslims, Jews and Christians justget along, we basically worship the same god I mean come on, we all believe in the same Old Testament, yet its what comes after that that seperates us.
Because there is much scripture which justifies the killing of heathens. If I'm not mistaken God does indeed tell his "chosen people" to enslave others, take their lands, kill their offspring etc. Especially if they are heathens. That should be sufficient reason for most people with a functioning moral compass to tell God to f*ck off.

Honestly, screw religion, I believe in Jesus not a bunch of old perveted, money hungry men in dresses. Jefferson, I'll join you in your crusade.
If Jesus even existed and wasn't just a product of Saint Paul's addled mind, he is either: The son of God, a lying pile of you-know-what or simply, a lunatic. Make your pick, fine sir.

You still haven't answered my orignal post though, don't worry i'll wait
Indeed you will. There is absolutely nothing of interest to me in your original post.

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan28 Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:15 pm

Mother of God....... :facepalm:

This is why people who haven't been to church their whole lives should never talk it, you know absolutely nothing about it at all. I don't come on here and start talking about evolution because I'm not going to pretend I know anything about it, if people want to believe in it thats up to them not me, but please, do the same thing and don't talk about christianity, because you know absolutely nothing about it, at all.

But, just for the moment, I will humor your ignorance, and reply to your the part of your post Jesus's claim to be the son of god. I'm not going to bother replying to the part about his existence since greater minds then yours or mine, religious and non-religious both say that he existed so i'll move on to my main point.

Even those who are not persuaded by Christianity often have great respect for Jesus. Among those who reject the idea that Jesus was God incarnate, there are many who are nevertheless followers of him to some degree. “Jesus was a great moral teacher”, some say, “but he wasn’t God”. According to this view, Jesus is to be followed as a great human being, but not as a divine one.

This idea that Jesus was merely a great human being, i.e. a great human being but nothing more, is, as C.S. Lewis argued in Part 2 of Mere Christianity, indefensible.

Jesus made the most astonishing claims, not only about God, society and ethics, but also about himself. He claimed to have the authority to forgive sins, to be the representative of all humanity come to die in order to reconcile man to God, and to be the only way for people to attain salvation.

Faced with the fact that Jesus made these claims about himself, there are three things that we might say about him: Either Jesus’ claims were false and he knew it, or his claims were false and he didn’t know it, or his claims were true. None of these suggests that Jesus was a great, but merely human, teacher. Anyone who has that view needs to think again.

The first thing that we might say about Jesus is that his claims were false and he knew it, in which case he was a liar. If Jesus did not believe that his claims about himself were true, then when he made those claims he was lying.

Jesus’ claims about himself were so central to his teachings, though, that if they were lies then he can hardly be deemed a great teacher. If Jesus set out to systematically deceive people about who he was and how their sins were to be dealt with, then he was among the worst teachers that have ever walked the earth.

The second thing that we might say about Jesus is that his claims were false and he didn’t know it, in which case he was a lunatic. If Jesus believed that his claims about himself were true, and they weren’t, then he was a delusional egomaniac. If an ordinary person believes himself to be God incarnate, then that person is, put quite simply, insane.

Again, if this were the case, if Jesus taught that this is who he was and was mistaken, then he was as bad a teacher as there has ever been.

The third thing that we might say about Jesus is that his claims were true, in which case he was, and is, Lord. If Jesus believed that his claims about himself were true and they were, then Jesus was not only a great human being, but was also God on Earth.

If we take Jesus seriously, then we must take Jesus’ claims about himself seriously. We cannot say that Jesus was a great teacher whom we admire and look up to, but that the most fundamental element of his teachings was a monumental error. Jesus was not a great, but merely human, teacher; he was either much less than this, or much more.

Those who respond to this argument by writing Jesus off as either a liar or a lunatic are, for all that has been said so far, just as reasonable as those who respond by accepting Jesus as Lord. This argument is an attack only on the view that Jesus was a great teacher but not God; there is nothing in it that counts against the view that Jesus was a terrible teacher. In order to show that it is better to view Jesus as Lord than as either a liar or a lunatic, it would have to be demonstrated that there is some reason to take Jesus’ claims seriously.

Do we have any reason, though, to take Jesus’ claims seriously? Many have argued that we do, that we have the strongest possible evidence that Jesus knew what he was talking about when it came to the supernatural. There is, it is argued, substantial historical evidence that Jesus was raised from the dead, endorsing his claims to religious authority.

The Resurrection, it is said, was a divine endorsement of Jesus’ teachings, God’s confirmation that Jesus’ teachings were true. If this is correct, then there can be no doubt as to which of the three positions concerning Jesus outlined above is the correct one. If there is significant evidence for the resurrection, then we have to take Jesus seriously.

Even in Jesus’ time, some of those who faced the Lord, Liar, or Lunatic question decided that Jesus was either a liar or a lunatic. So staggering were Jesus’ claims about his role in God’s salvific plan that they were sometimes hard to accept even for those that knew him and witnessed his ministry. This is ultimately why he was put to death. How, then, are we to decide who Jesus really was?

The Christian position is that this question was settled at the Resurrection. Whatever we might have thought about Jesus before he was raised from the dead, when God raised Jesus from the dead he put an end to all speculation. The Resurrection was God’s endorsement of Jesus’ teachings, a vindication of Jesus’ claims that got him crucified, a declaration that he was and is Lord. Whatever evidence there is for Jesus’ resurrection, then, is evidence for the truth of the claims that he made about himself.

The basic sequence of events surrounding Jesus’ death at the birth of the church, Christian apologists remind us, is uncontroversial. Theologians and historians are generally agreed on the kinds of claims that Jesus’ made, and that it was because of these claims that he was crucified. It is also generally accepted, the apologists continue, that following his crucifixion Jesus’ followers, who now included some who had not followed him previously, claimed to have seen him, risen from the dead. These followers preferred to die rather than to retract this claim, and it is on this testimony that the church was founded. This much is taken to be uncontroversial: the crucifixion, the claims to have seen the risen Jesus, and the willingness to face persecution for making this claim. The question is what we make of it.

One attempt to explain this data, sometimes called the "swoon theory", denies Jesus’ death. On this theory, Jesus didn’t really die at all. Yes, he was crucified—that much is undeniable—but he survived the crucifixion. When he was laid in the tomb he was unconscious, but alive. He then resuscitated, escaped from the tomb, and appeared to the disciples, who mistakenly thought he had been resurrected. This theory thus neatly explains the resurrection appearances without having, implausibly, to deny the crucifixion.

Apologists dismiss the swoon theory for a number of reasons.

First, people didn’t survive crucifixion. Crucifixion was a brutal form of execution, one well-practiced by the Romans. The Romans knew what they were doing; Jesus could not have made it through the crucifixion alive.

Second, even if he had made it through the crucifixion alive, Jesus would not have been in a fit state to escape from the tomb. The tomb in which he was laid, according to the Bible, was enclosed by a large boulder, and guarded by Roman soldiers. Even if he had survived crucifixion, Jesus would have been too weak to move the boulder, and wouldn’t have got past the guards.

Third, even if Jesus had survived the crucifixion and escaped from the tomb, there’s no way that he would have been mistaken for resurrected. The rigours of crucifixion would have left him in an appalling state, yet Jesus appearance before his disciples was such that they thought he was in a glorified, resurrection body. The swoon theory, apologists conclude, therefore cannot seriously be maintained.

A second attempt to explain the historical data, the "hallucination theory", denies that Jesus appeared to his disciples. Jesus’ disciples would have been emotionally fraught having seen their leader executed; what more natural than that they should imagine that they had seen him come back from the dead?

Again, apologists argue that this explanation of the resurrection appearances doesn’t quite fit the historical data.

First, the claim that Jesus had returned from the dead wasn’t natural at all. Some of the Jews of the time believed that there would be a general resurrection, a resurrection of everyone, at the end of time, but none of them expected an individual to be resurrected in the present.

Second, some of those to whom Jesus appeared certainly weren’t expecting him to come back from the dead because some of those to whom Jesus appeared weren’t even disciples of his. Some were converted to Christianity by their experiences of the risen Jesus; those experiences cannot have been produced by their faith, because they didn’t have any faith until they saw him.

Third, and most conclusively, they add, the appearances of Jesus that were claimed just aren’t of the kind that can result from hallucinations. Hallucinations are individual affairs, but the appearances of Jesus were before groups of people. Group hallucinations do not happen, there must have been something else going on than this. Again, then, it is concluded, the naturalistic theory doesn’t do justice to the historical data.

A third attempt to explain the historical data surrounding Jesus death and the birth of the church is the "conspiracy theory". According to this theory, there were no appearances of the risen Jesus at all, whether hallucinatory or not; the disciples made it all up. This theory explains away the resurrection appearances as a fiction, and so again neatly solves the historical problem.

The conspiracy theory, apologists argue, is more a desperate attempt to explain away the evidence than a genuine attempt to explain it. Still, though, they take the time to criticise it.

First, the disciples’ claim would have been easily disproved at the time had it been false. All that would have needed to be done to silence them would have been to produce Jesus’ body. This, though, was not done.

Second, it is again difficult to account for the testimony of those who had not followed Jesus prior to the resurrection on this theory. Why would those who rejected Jesus when he was alive buy into Christianity when he was dead?

Third, the disciples commitment to the cause counts strongly against the idea that their claims were made up. Jesus’ followers faced great persecution for their claims about Jesus, yet, after his death, not one of them retracted those claims. Before Jesus’ death this was not the case; famously, Peter denied Jesus three times. Something transformed the early Christians into fervent witnesses to the resurrection. What could have done that other than a genuine resurrection?

The historical evidence surrounding Jesus’ crucifixion and the birth of the church, then, is perplexing. None of the naturalistic explanations of that evidence, it is argued, does justice to it; we are pushed towards a supernatural explanation, to the conclusion that Jesus really was raised from the dead and so really is Lord.

At this point, it can be tempting to say that any naturalistic explanation, no matter how far-fetched, is better than this supernatural explanation. Sure, the odds of someone surviving crucifixion are tiny, but isn’t that explanation more likely to be true than the Christian alternative? Sure, it is almost impossible that the disciples simultaneously hallucinated a risen Jesus, but isn’t it more likely than that they saw the real thing?

If we rule out the possibility of miracles from the beginning, then of course the answer to these questions will be "Yes". If we assume from the outset that miracles cannot happen, that God does not exist, that Christianity is false, then of course any other explanation of the historical evidence will be preferable to that offered by Christianity.

To make these assumptions, though, is simple prejudice. There is a genuine historical puzzle here, and each of us must look for an explanation that we find genuinely satisfying. For my part, none of the naturalistic explanations satisfies me. I find it much more plausible to set aside my prejudice against miracles, and think that God raised Jesus from the dead, than to believe any of the alternatives.

Jonathan28
Jonathan28
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:18 pm

Ordinho10 wrote:Mother of God....... :facepalm:

This is why people who haven't been to church their whole lives should never talk it, you know absolutely nothing about it at all. I don't come on here and start talking about evolution because I'm not going to pretend I know anything about it, if people want to believe in it thats up to them not me, but please, do the same thing and don't talk about christianity, because you know absolutely nothing about it, at all.

But, just for the moment, I will humor your ignorance, and reply to your the part of your post Jesus's claim to be the son of god. I'm not going to bother replying to the part about his existence since greater minds then yours or mine, religious and non-religious both say that he existed so i'll move on to my main point.
False. There are many scholars who not only doubt Jesus' existence but also flat out deny it. The reasons are simple ... The historical evidence of Jesus' existence stems from the Bible (and "we" all know how reliable the Bible is) so there's no conclusive evidence about his existence. There is little evidence outside the Bible that one could even consider reliable. There is, however, much more evidence to suggest that Jesus was nothing but a mere product of Saint Paul's confused mind.

Furthermore, what is being taught in churches is to be taken with a grain of salt. We have theologians and philosophers at universities who do a far better than job at that than local priests - heck, we may as well go global and find the most appalling nonsense coming from (self professed) divine authority such as the Vatican. If you think you are deserving of authority simply because you've attended churches most of your life you should think again. Likewise, if you believe an appeal to authority makes your claims more valid you should think otherwise. These are poor methods to prove a point. And do not try to diminish my knowledge on the subject, I am fully aware of what I know and do not know.

As for the rest of your post, most of it is plagiarized (from here http://www.existence-of-god.com/resurrection-evidence.html), is full of loopholes and is largely illogical. The premise for the post is the false claim of evidence (based on an appeal to authority) and as such it is invalid, too. If you want to have a debate you should at least keep such sh*tty propaganda out of it.

Good day to you, sir.

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:05 pm

Senor Penguin wrote:

False. There are many scholars who not only doubt Jesus' existence but also flat out deny it. The reasons are simple ... The historical evidence of Jesus' existence stems from the Bible (and "we" all know how reliable the Bible is) so there's no conclusive evidence about his existence. There is little evidence outside the Bible that one could even consider reliable. There is, however, much more evidence to suggest that Jesus was nothing but a mere product of Saint Paul's confused mind.

http://carm.org/non-biblical-accounts-new-testament-events-andor-people

you were saying ?

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:23 pm

RealGunner wrote:
Senor Penguin wrote:

http://carm.org/non-biblical-accounts-new-testament-events-andor-people

you were saying ?

Do I have to reiterate? "There is little evidence outside the Bible that one could even consider reliable."

We have by far more historical evidence for Buddha and Julius Caesar, who were both born before Jesus. That is quite telling.

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:37 pm

thats not exactly "little evidence " Not to mention other holy books mention Jesus as well
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by guest7 Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:06 pm

There are letters that mentions a man called "Jesus" who was a politician.

Jesus was known for going against the kingdom so maybe they called him a politician back then.

The evidence says he exists IMO, but there are no real evidence that he had magical powers. But in the end I think religion is a faith and you chose what you want to believe in.
guest7
guest7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:43 pm

RealGunner wrote:thats not exactly "little evidence " Not to mention other holy books mention Jesus as well
Before Saint Paul and the Gospels? Around the time that Jesus presumably existed? I'm pretty confident that the answer to both questions is "no".

It once again comes down to weighing the evidence that is available. You can certainly argue that there is evidence that suggests he actually existed but there is no concrete proof of his existence.

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan28 Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:43 am

Senor Penguin wrote:False. There are many scholars who not only doubt Jesus' existence but also flat out deny it. The reasons are simple ... The historical evidence of Jesus' existence stems from the Bible (and "we" all know how reliable the Bible is) so there's no conclusive evidence about his existence. There is little evidence outside the Bible that one could even consider reliable. There is, however, much more evidence to suggest that Jesus was nothing but a mere product of Saint Paul's confused mind.

Furthermore, what is being taught in churches is to be taken with a grain of salt. We have theologians and philosophers at universities who do a far better than job at that than local priests - heck, we may as well go global and find the most appalling nonsense coming from (self professed) divine authority such as the Vatican. If you think you are deserving of authority simply because you've attended churches most of your life you should think again. Likewise, if you believe an appeal to authority makes your claims more valid you should think otherwise. These are poor methods to prove a point. And do not try to diminish my knowledge on the subject, I am fully aware of what I know and do not know.

As for the rest of your post, most of it is plagiarized (from here http://www.existence-of-god.com/resurrection-evidence.html), is full of loopholes and is largely illogical. The premise for the post is the false claim of evidence (based on an appeal to authority) and as such it is invalid, too. If you want to have a debate you should at least keep such sh*tty propaganda out of it.

Good day to you, sir.

Why do you keep on going on about priests and the Vatican as if they speak for all Christians? They are representative of a proportion of the faith yes but you talk of them as if they represent all of us. No one is claiming to be a divine voice in here, except for maybe you but thats for another topic. Also, stop going on about this rubbish that many scholars deny Jesus' existence, it is not true, name me one well respected historian who does? I can name you more than one who does believe Jesus existed. Bart Ehrman, a liberal scholar, who is not a Christian in the any way, but an extremely well respected historian who believes that Jesus existed. In fact, there's a youtube audio clip where he absolutely owns some athiest talk show host on this very subject, video below.

There is not only him by the way, a close friend of mine wrote this 3 years ago, and it is very releveant to the topic.

What can we say about the history of Jesus? Is it reasonable to conclude that Jesus never existed, based on the weight of all the historical evidence? Or is it more reasonable to conclude that Jesus was an unparalleled historical figure; that not only was he a great teacher and "doer of wonderful works", but that something extraordinary - perhaps even supernatural - happened in history to spark a movement that "turned the world upside down".

Christianity presents a founder who is unmatched in history - one who really lived, taught unlike any other, performed miracles that testified of His authority, really died, and really rose from the dead to be seen by literally hundreds before His ascension.

Either He existed, and was who He claimed to be - Lord and Savior; or not. If He did exist, fulfill prophecy, perform miracles, die in our place, and rise again, then you, I -- we all -- have to deal with the ramifications of this.

Consider the written historical evidence of Jesus from these varied sources ...

1. Non-Christian, non-Jewish sources (principally Roman, Greek). These consist of the writings of a number of Greek or Roman historians, and refer to the history of Jesus because of the trouble the Christian movement was causing in the empire at the time. The records are normally antagonistic, since they have nothing to gain by admitting the historicity of the events.

2. Jewish sources - Josephus, the Talmud. Josephus, a Jewish aristocrat turned politician, was recruited by the Romans during the first Jewish revolt to act as a mediator and write a historical record of events at the time. He records that Jesus was a wise man that did many wonderful works, and that many people - both Jews and Gentiles - followed after him. The Talmud, written by Jewish sources at the time, is (not surprisingly) unfriendly toward the founder of Christianity. The important point, however, is that Jewish sources do not deny that Jesus was a real historical figure -- they only promote a different interpretation of of his conception.

3. Christian sources - the Gospels, early church fathers and historians. The four gospels - Matthew, Mark, Luke and John - are judged by most scholars to be reliable, historical testimony of eye-witnesses. These gospels, as well as the Acts of the Apostles, the letters of Paul and the other Apostles, are judged to have been written from 40 A.D. to 100 A.D. -- all within a few decades of the life of Jesus. The early church fathers were the leaders and teachers in the church who followed the apostles - many were also disciples of these same apostles.

Non-Christian, Non-Jewish Historians Comment on the History of Jesus

Cornelius Tacitus (c. A.D. 55-120)

A Roman historian who lived through the reign of over a half-dozen Roman emperors1, Tacitus has been called "the greatest historian of ancient Rome. His most famous works are the Annals and the Histories. The Annals covers from 14 A.D. to approximately 68 A.D. (the death of Augustus up to the time of Nero), while Histories proceeds from 68 A.D. (Nero's death) to 96 A.D. (the time of Domitian).

Here is what Tacitus wrote concerning the history of Jesus, and the existence of Christians in Rome:

"But not all the relief that could come from man, not all the bounties that the price could bestow, nor all the atonements which could be presented to the gods, availed to relieve Nero from the infamy of being believed to have ordered the conflagration, the fire of Rome. Hence to suppress the rumor, he falsely charged with the guilt, and punished with the most exquisite tortures, the persons commonly called Christians, who were hated for their enormities. Christus, the founder of the name, was put to death by Pontius Pilate, procurator of Judea in the reign of Tiberius: but the pernicious superstition, repressed for a time, broke out again, not only through Judea, where the mischief originated, but through the city of Rome also." (Annals XV, 44)1.

Some points to note about the narrative from Tacitus:

He mistakenly refers to Jesus as "Christus", however this was a common practice among the pagan writers at that time.
He supports the fact that Christ existed, and was put to death by Pontius Pilate - agreeing with the Christian scriptures.
He alludes to "the pernicious superstition" which broke out, was repressed, but then spread even more - even throughout the city of Rome itself. This may indeed be referring to the core belief which caused the early church to explode and "turn the world upside down" -- that Jesus had died indeed, but that He had also risen from the grave.

Thallus, a Samaritan-born historian who lived and worked in Rome about 52 A.D., wrote a history of the Eastern Mediterranean world (Habernas, VECELJ, 93). Although the original writings of Thallus are lost to us, Julius Africanus, a Christian historian of the late second century (2221 A,D.), was familiar with them and quotes from them. One very interesting passage from Thallus relates to the darkness that enveloped the land at the time of Christ's crucifixion. Julius Africanus writes as follows:

"Thallus, in the third book of his histories, explains away this darkness as as an eclipse of the sun - unreasonably, as it seems to me (unreasonably, of course, because a solar eclipse could not take place at the time of the full moon, and it was at the season of the Paschal full moon that Christ died." (Julius Africanus, Chronography, 18.1)

Points to note:

This quote testifies that the gospel accounts of darkness falling upon the land about the time of Christ's death were well known, and thus required a naturalistic explanation from non-Christians.
Thallus did not dispute that Jesus has been crucified -- he was more concerned with coming up with another explanation for the darkness that enveloped the land.

How many more references do you need? If you need more, then I would refer to this passage in Luke 9, of Jesus' instructions to His Apostles: "Take nothing for your journey--neither staffs, nor wallet, nor bread, nor money; neither have two coats apiece. Into whatever house you enter, stay there, and depart from there. As many as don't receive you, when you depart from that city, shake off even the dust from your feet for a testimony against them."

He names sources both religious and non religious give evidence og the existence of Jesus since they lived closer to his lifetime and you name no one. Just the typical "many scholars/scientists/philosophers" garbage you get from people who no nothing of what they are talking about. A good argument requires references, you have given me none, at all, which disprove the existence of Jesus.

But no, I am not done yet, there is much more that needs to be added to this debate. Unlike my previous post, I will propperly reference all that I say so not to give you a get out of free jail card.

An important distinction between a myth and a real person is how the figure impacts history. For example, the Olympic Games originated on Mount Olympus in Greece, home of the temple of the Greek god Zeus. But Zeus has not changed governments, laws, or ethics.

The historian Thomas Carlyle said, “No great man lives in vain. The history of the world is but the biography of great men.” As Carlyle notes, it is real people, not myths, who impact history.

As a real person, Alexander impacted history by his military conquests, altering nations, governments, and laws. But what of Jesus Christ and his impact on our world?

The first-century governments of Israel and Rome were largely untouched by Jesus’ life. The average Roman citizen didn’t know he existed until many years after his death, Roman culture remained largely aloof from his teaching for decades, and it would be several centuries before killing Christians in the coliseum became a national pastime. The rest of the world had little if any knowledge of him. Jesus marshaled no army. He didn’t write a book or change any laws. The Jewish leaders hoped to wipe out his memory, and it appeared they would succeed.

Today, however, ancient Rome lies in ruins. Caesar’s mighty legions and the pomp of Roman imperial power have faded into oblivion. Yet how is Jesus remembered today? What is his enduring influence?
• More books have been written about Jesus than about any other person in history.
• Nations have used his words as the bedrock of their governments. According to Durant, “The triumph of Christ was the beginning of democracy.”
• His Sermon on the Mount established a new paradigm in ethics and morals.
• Schools, hospitals, and humanitarian works have been founded in his name. Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and Oxford are but a few universities that have Christians to thank for their beginning.
• The elevated role of women in Western culture traces its roots back to Jesus. (Women in Jesus’ day were considered inferior and virtual nonpersons until his teaching was followed.)
• Slavery was abolished in Britain and America due to Jesus’ teaching that each human life is valuable.
• Former drug and alcohol dependents, prostitutes, and others seeking purpose in life claim him as the explanation for their changed lives.
• Two billion people call themselves Christians. While some are Christian in name only, others continue to impact our culture by teaching Jesus’ principles that all life is valuable and we are to love one another.
Remarkably, Jesus made all of this impact as a result of just a three-year period of public ministry. If Jesus didn’t exist, one must wonder how a myth could so alter history. When world historian H. G. Wells was asked who has left the greatest legacy on history, he replied, “By this test Jesus stands first.”

Documentary evidence and historical impact point to the fact that Jesus did exist. If Jesus did really exist, we also would expect to discover his footprints imprinted within the details of history. Myths don’t leave such confirming details.

Once again, the author of this post makes extremly valid points, on top of that he name sources. H. G. Wells, surely if you know as much as you claim to know you would have heard of him? A extremely well respected, though at times controversial historian, who backs up his point, where you have none, no sources what so ever. Also, he wasn't a Christian , as evidenced by his regular arguments with C. S. Lewis about whether Jesus was God.

And as to the existence of Yeshuah - there is more than enough proof even if second hand - Saul of Tarsus(Paul of the NT) most definitely existed and wrote his own documentation of his faith and the early church - this is widely accepted by both secular and nonsecular authorities - as to the story itself (that is - Christ crucified dead, buried and rose from the dead) One has to ask why a man like Paul - an educated Roman citizen, a Pharisee, and leading persecutor of Christ's followers would give up his position, wealth, and reputation to follow a myth to the death....
This fact alone is a testament to the power of Yeshuah's life and teaching....

I would also ask the same question of those other apostles who literally gave their lives to spread the gospel message...

Have you ever joined an organization that required an oath of allegiance to the death? and if so are you still engaged, still a member? Or was it a youthful pipe dream that pooped out once you had a bit of wisdom and age under your belt? Yeshuah's teaching has endured past all understanding...Is this simply because of the power and wealth of the "church" or is there something in all of this that transcends the machinations of "scholars", "priests", and politics....I say the latter....

the men that followed Christ had lives, families, occupations, yet they threw in with a man with an outlandish story...or was it?

Paul himself speaks of the resurrection to a group of people of whom he says - "some of you are still alive who remember and were witnesses"... I am 58 years old yet I can tell you where I was, the color of the sky, the room, the time, and who I spent the day with on the day that JFK was shot as if it were yesterday....it 2008 now and he was shot in 1963 - so let me give you a second hand report and then call me a liar...please.....

and for the record Nero was emperor and blaming Christians for his own madness in the first century - it wasn't centuries before christians were persecuted - it followed them from the very beginning...with a few years of respite here and there...until Constantine...

Yeshuah Himself said it best - they hate you because they hated Me first..and guess what? His words still ring true...

This is a quote from a website known as abovetopsecret, the poster, who was 58 at the time he wrote it but would be about 60 now makes some extremly vlaid points. He may not be a history student but I am and I can assure you that all he says is true, but I guess I might as well give you the names of respected scholars who share a similar opinion, so not to give you an ground away.

Below is another quote from abovetopsecret(I really do love this place), and names every single major historian/scholar, believers and non believers, theologians and philosophers who all support the belief in the historical Jesus, who you fooolishly claim never existed.

Gerd Lüdemann (Skeptical Scholar) said this:
"It may be taken as historically certain that Peter and the disciples had experiences after Jesus’ death in which Jesus appeared to them as the risen Christ."
Gerd Lüdemann, What Really Happened to Jesus? trans. John Bowden (Louisville, Kent.: Westminster John Knox Press, 1995), p. 80.

J. P. Moreland (Philosopher, Theologian & Distinguished Professor)
“Almost no New Testament scholar today denies that Jesus appeared to a number of his followers after his death. Some scholars interpret these as subjective hallucinations or objective visions granted by God which were not visions of a physical being. But no one denies that the believers had some sort of experience.“
J.P. Moreland, Scaling the Secular City (Baker Book House, Grand Rapids MI, 1987), pp. 171,172.)

Norman Perrin (Skeptical New Testament Scholar) admitted: “The more we study the tradition with regard to the appearances, the firmer the rock begins to appear upon which they are based.”
Norman Perrin, The Resurrection According to Matthew, Mark, and Luke (Philadelphia: Fortress, 1974), 80

James D. G. Dunn (Professor of Divinity) at the University of Durham.
“It is almost impossible to dispute that at the historical roots of Christianity lie some visionary experiences of the first Christians, who understood them as appearances of Jesus, raised by God from the dead.”
Dunn, James D.G., The Evidence For Jesus (Westminster John Knox Press) pg. 75

Bart Ehrman (Skeptical Scholar)
in his book states:
"Historians … have no difficulty whatsoever speaking about the belief in Jesus resurrection, since this is a matter of public record. For it is a historical fact that some of Jesus’ followers came to believe that he had been raised from the dead soon after his execution."
Apocalyptic Prophet of the New Millennium, (published by Oxford University Press in 1999)

Clifford Herschel Moore (Scholar & Professor)
He remarked of Jesus’ historicity, “Christianity knew its Saviour and Redeemer not as some god whose history was contained in a mythical faith. … Jesus was a historical not a mythical being. No remote or foul myth obtruded itself on the Christian believer; his faith was founded on positive, historical, and acceptable facts.”
(American Latin scholar (1866-1931) and professor at Harvard University)

Michael Grant, (Atheist British Historian)
In his book Jesus: An Historian's Review of the Gospels, Atheist historian Michael Grant completely rejected the idea that Jesus never existed. “This skeptical way of thinking reached its culmination in the argument that Jesus as a human being never existed at all and is a myth.... But above all, if we apply to the New Testament, as we should, the same sort of criteria as we should apply to other ancient writings containing historical material, we can no more reject Jesus' existence than we can reject the existence of a mass of pagan personages whose reality as historical figures is never questioned. Certainly, there are all those discrepancies between one Gospel and another. But we do not deny that an event ever took place just because some pagan historians such as, for example, Livy and Polybius, happen to have described it in differing terms.... To sum up, modern critical methods fail to support the Christ myth theory. It has 'again and again been answered and annihilated by first rank scholars.' In recent years, 'no serious scholar has ventured to postulate the non historicity of Jesus' or at any rate very few, and they have not succeeded in disposing of the much stronger, indeed very abundant, evidence to the contrary.”
Jesus: An Historian's Review of the Gospels [[1977], pages 199, 200)

Howard Marshall (New Testament Professor)
There is said to be a Russian encyclopedia in current use which affirms in a brief entry that Jesus Christ was the mythological founder of Christianity, but it is virtually alone in doing so. The historian will not take its statement very seriously, since ... it offers no evidence for its assertion, and mere assertion cannot stand over against historical enquiry
I Believe in the Historical Jesus [Published by Regent College Publishing 1977] pg. 15

Will Durant (Secular Historian)
Some of these are of uncertain authorship; several, antedating A.D. 64, are almost universally accounted as substantially genuine. No one has questioned the existence of Paul, or his repeated meetings with Peter, James, and John; and Paul enviously admits that these men had known Christ in his flesh. The accepted epistles frequently refer to the Last Supper and the Crucifixion.... The contradictions are of minutiae, not substance; in essentials the synoptic gospels agree remarkably well, and form a consistent portrait of Christ. In the enthusiasm of its discoveries the Higher Criticism has applied to the New Testament tests of authenticity so severe that by them a hundred ancient worthies, for example Hammurabi, David, Socrates would fade into legend. Despite the prejudices and theological preconceptions of the evangelists, they record many incidents that mere inventors would have concealed the competition of the apostles for high places in the Kingdom, their flight after Jesus' arrest, Peter's denial, the failure of Christ to work miracles in Galilee, the references of some auditors to his possible insanity, his early uncertainty as to his mission, his confessions of ignorance as to the future, his moments of bitterness, his despairing cry on the cross; no one reading these scenes can doubt the reality of the figure behind them. That a few simple men should in one generation have invented so powerful and appealing a personality, so loft an ethic and so inspiring a vision of human brotherhood, would be a miracle far more incredible than any recorded in the Gospel. After two centuries of Higher Criticism the outlines of the life, character, and teaching of Christ, remain reasonably clear, and constitute the most fascinating feature of the history of Western man.
Durant, Will [Caesar and Christ. New York, NY: Simon and Schuster, 1944, Chaper XXVI)

Rudolf Bultmann (New Testament Scholar)
“Of course the doubt as to whether Jesus really existed is unfounded and not worth refutation. No sane person can doubt that Jesus stands as founder behind the historical movement whose first distinct stage is represented by the Palestinian community.”
Jesus and the Word, [New York: Scribner,] 1958, p. introduction

Rudolf Bultmann (New Testament Scholar)
“Most of the miracle stories contained in the gospels are legendary or at least are dressed up with legends. But there can be no doubt that Jesus did such deeds, which were, in his and his contemporaries; understanding, miracles, that is, deeds that were the result of supernatural, divine causality. Doubtless he healed the sick and cast out demons.
Rudolf Bultmann, Jesus (Berlin: Deutsche Bibliothek, 1926), p. 159.

Robert Van Voorst [Professor of New Testament Studies]:
"Contemporary New Testament scholars have typically viewed their [i.e. Jesus-mythers] arguments as so weak or bizarre that they relegate them to footnotes, or often ignore them completely....The theory of Jesus' nonexistence is now effectively dead as a scholarly question....Biblical scholars and classical historians now regard it as effectively refuted."
(Jesus Outside the New Testament [2000], pages 6, 14, 16)

Graham Stanton (Professor of New Testament Studies)
Professor Stanton occupies the chair in New Testament Studies at Cambridge University and led the attack on Carston Theide's re-dating of the Jesus Papyrus. He considers the Jesus Myth crowd even more extreme as he writes in The Gospels and Jesus.
“Today, nearly all historians, whether Christians or not, accept that Jesus existed and that the gospels contain plenty of valuable evidence which as to be weighed and assessed critically. There is general agreement that, with the possible exception of Paul, we know far more about Jesus of Nazareth than about any first or second century Jewish or pagan religious teacher.”
Graham Stanton, The Gospels and Jesus (2nd ed.), (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002) p. xxiii

N.T. Wright (New Testament Scholar):
"It is quite difficult to know where to start, because actually the evidence for Jesus is so massive that, as a historian, I want to say we have got almost as much good evidence for Jesus as for anyone in the ancient world....the evidence fits so well with what we know of the Judaism of the period....that I think there are hardly any historians today, in fact I don't know of any historians today, who doubt the existence of Jesus [aside from one or two]....It is quite clear that in fact Jesus is a very, very well documented character of real history. So I think that question can be put to rest."
("The Self-Revelation of God in Human History" from There Is A God by Antony Flew and Roy Abraham Varghese [2007])

D. H. Van Daalen [New Testament Scholar]
It is extremely difficult to object to the fact of the empty tomb on historical grounds; most objectors do so on the basis of theological or philosophical assumptions.
D.H. Van Daalen, The Real Resurrection (London: Collins, 1972)

Jacob Kremer, (New Testament Scholar) states:
By far, most exegetes hold firmly to the reliability of the biblical statements about the empty tomb.
Jacob Kremer, Die Osterevangelien-Geschichten um Geschichte (Stuggart: Katholisches Bibelwerk, 1977), 49-50.

William Lane Craig (A leading Scholar on the resurrection and apologist reports):
There is a widespread consensus among New Testament critics that the disciples did see "appearances of Jesus" after his death, and a considerable number interpret these appearances in terms of the bodily resurrection and appearances of Jesus.
Wilkins, Michael and Moreland, J. P. Jesus Under Fire. p. 156.

Dr. Pinchas Lapide (Jewish Scholar) said: “When this frightened band of apostles suddenly could be changed overnight into a confident mission society… Then no vision or hallucination is sufficient to explain such a revolutionary transformation.”
“I accept the resurrection of Easter Sunday not as an invention of the community of disciples, but as an historical event.”
Pinchas Lapide, The Resurrection of Jesus: A Jewish Perspective (Fortress Press, 1988), p. 125.

Luke Timothy Johnson, (New Testament Scholar)
Even the most critical historian can confidently assert that a Jew named Jesus worked as a teacher and wonder-worker in Palestine during the reign of Tiberius, was executed by crucifixion under the prefect Pontius Pilate and continued to have followers after his death.
Luke Timothy Johnson, The Real Jesus (San Francisco: Harper San Francisco, 1996), p. 123.

Luke Timothy Johnson (New Testament Scholar),
"The support for the mode of his death, its agents, and perhaps its coagents, is overwhelming: Jesus faced a trial before his death, was condemned and executed by crucifixion."
Luke Timothy Johnson, The Real Jesus (San Francisco: Harper San Francisco, 1996), p. 125.

Colin J. Hemer (Classical Scholar)
Was the author of the book of Acts reliable in getting the facts straight?
Colin Hemer, a classical scholar who turned to New Testament studies, goes through the book of Acts with a fine-toothed comb, pulling out a wealth of historical knowledge, ranging from what would have been common knowledge down to details which only a local person would know. “Again and again Luke's accuracy is demonstrated: from the sailings of the Alexandrian corn fleet to the coastal terrain of the Mediterranean islands to the peculiar titles of local officials, Luke gets it right.”
Colin J. Hemer, The Book of Acts in the Setting of Hellenistic History, ed. Conrad H. Gempf, Wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen zum Neuen Testament 49 (Tübingen: J. C. B. Mohr, 1989), chap. 8.

Craig Evans, (New Testament Scholar), says that "the older notion" that the miracle stories were the product of mythological divine man ideas "has been largely abandoned.”
He says, "It is no longer seriously contested that miracles played a role in Jesus ministry."
Craig Evans, "Life-of-Jesus Research and the Eclipse of Mythology," Theological Studies 54 (1993): 18, 34.

John A. T. Robinson [New Testament Scholar]
The honorable burial of Jesus is one of "the earliest and best attested facts about Jesus."
John A. T. Robinson, The Human Face of God (Philadelphia: Westminster, 1973), p. 131.

C. F. D. Moule (New Testament Scholar)
“that we have here a belief which nothing in terms of prior historical influences can account for--apart from the resurrection itself.”
C. F. D. Moule and Don Cupitt, "The Resurrection: a Disagreement," Theology 75 (1972): 507-19.

Geza Vermes – (Jewish British scholar)
"When every argument has been considered and weighed, the only conclusion acceptable to the historian must be that . . . the women who set out to pay their last respects to Jesus found to their consternation, not a body, but an empty tomb"
(Jesus the Jew, p. 41).

Dr. Gary Habermas (Historian) did a survey of over 2,200 publications on the resurrection in English, French, and German since 1975. Habermas found that 75% of the scholars surveyed accepted the historicity of the discovery of Jesus' empty tomb. Belief in the disciples' experiencing post-mortem appearances of Jesus is virtually universal.
Experience of the Risen Jesus: The Foundational Historical Issue in the Early Proclamation of the Resurrection," Dialog 45 (2006): 292).

Hans Grass (New Testament Scholar) admits that the conversion of James is one of the surest proofs of the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
Hans Grass, Ostergeschehen und Osterberichte, 4th ed. (Gottingen: Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, 1974), 80.

Thomas Arnold, (former Professor of History at Rugby and Oxford, and one of the world’s greatest historians), made the following statement about the historical evidence for the resurrection of Jesus Christ:
“I know of no one fact in the history of mankind which is proved by better, fuller evidence of every sort, to the understanding of a fair enquirer, than the great sign which God hath given us that Christ died, and rose again from the dead.”
Thomas Arnold, Sermons on Christian Life (London, 1854), p. 324.

Simon Greenleaf (Professer) is one of the most highly regarded legal minds ever seen in America. He was an expert on the laws of evidence, and the founder of the Harvard Law School. He analyzed the accounts in the Four Gospels of the resurrection of Christ in terms of their validity as objective testimonial evidence, and concluded:
“It was therefore impossible that they could have persisted in affirming the truths they had narrated, had not Jesus actually risen from the dead, and had they not known this fact as certainly as they knew any other fact.”
Simon Greenleaf, The Testimony of the Evangelists (New York: 1874), p. 28.

Dr. Henry Morris writes:
“One thing is certain: the disciples could not have fabricated the story of the resurrection from their own imaginations. On the contrary, they somehow failed to anticipate it even after such an abundance of prophetic preparation for it, both from the Scriptures and from Christ. It took the strongest of evidences to convince them it had actually taken place.”
Henry Morris, op. cit., p. 1574.

Dr. Henry H. Halley
“What a hale of glory this simple belief sheds on human life. Our hope of resurrection and life everlasting is based, not on a philosophic guess about immortality, but an historic fact.”
From Halley’s Bible Handbook, 1955 edition, p.497.

Most believe that Jesus existed historically. That includes Jews and Muslims, Buddhists, Hindi, etc. The issue is not whether he existed historically as a man, it is whether those same people believe he was the Son of God and man's Savior, that however, is a debate I will re-visit another time, since this post has taken me ages to put together with all the editing involved in updating stuff. Until then, please take the time to actually learn more about this topic, because you have shown a severe lack of knowledge in this field.

But for now, all I have to say is two words.

Ignorance, headshot.
Jonathan28
Jonathan28
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:48 pm

Ordinho10 wrote:Why do you keep on going on about priests and the Vatican as if they speak for all Christians? They are representative of a proportion of the faith yes but you talk of them as if they represent all of us. No one is claiming to be a divine voice in here, except for maybe you but thats for another topic.
It goes without saying that no one can speak for everyone. I didn't claim that anyone professed to be a divine voice here either. I merely said that you shouldn't profess to be an authority or expect that an appeal to authority is something that would work.

From this sentence you appear to proclaim authority: "This is why people who haven't been to church their whole lives should never talk it, you know absolutely nothing about it at all. "

Also, stop going on about this rubbish that many scholars deny Jesus' existence, it is not true, name me one well respected historian who does? I can name you more than one who does believe Jesus existed. Bart Ehrman, a liberal scholar, who is not a Christian in the any way, but an extremely well respected historian who believes that Jesus existed. In fact, there's a youtube audio clip where he absolutely owns some athiest talk show host on this very subject, video below.

Did you even listen to what he had to say?

"[On Jesus] And for him to say and do anything, he had to exist."
"What hardcore evidence is there that Julius Caesar existed?"
"Then why not just deny the holocaust? Or why not deny that Abraham Lincoln lived?"
"[On Jesus as a real person, asked by the interviewer] But I guess you would say, 'look we can look at the earliest manuscripts that date to around when he should have existed or something'? What do we have, 'cause we don't have anything that exists until he died, allegedly, right?" - "[Response] About him? Jesus? Well that's true of everyone." :facepalm:

I won't accept such ridiculous logic from anyone.

There is not only him by the way, a close friend of mine wrote this 3 years ago, and it is very releveant to the topic.
Again I have to question whether you actually read what you post?

The historians your presumed friend refers to gave their accounts on Jesus decades after Jesus' supposed crucifixion. Some of them were even born a few years after this supposed crucifixion took place. Not to mention that some of these accounts were arguably forged and are thus considered invalid by some.

The fact is that the oldest account we have on Jesus comes from St. Paul. This account came around 20-50 years after Jesus' supposed crucifixion as well and St. Paul never even met Jesus in the flesh. Jesus "appeared to him" after the crucifixion.

The criterion for evidence is embarrassing when it comes to the historicity of Jesus.

This is a quote from a website known as abovetopsecret, the poster, who was 58 at the time he wrote it but would be about 60 now makes some extremly vlaid points. He may not be a history student but I am and I can assure you that all he says is true, but I guess I might as well give you the names of respected scholars who share a similar opinion, so not to give you an ground away.
You speak of him as if he isn't a friend of yours? And now you're a "history student"? Alright. Another appeal to authority.

Below is another quote from abovetopsecret(I really do love this place), and names every single major historian/scholar, believers and non believers, theologians and philosophers who all support the belief in the historical Jesus, who you fooolishly claim never existed.
Abovetopsecret? A site that promotes insane conspiracy theories? Good grief.

Looking aside of that, did you - once again - actually read what you copied & pasted? Suspect

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:40 pm

Why are we discussing the historical Jesus? Or rather: his existence?
It's utterly irrelevant.

If Jesus did in fact not exist, someone made up his teachings and wrote them down, making that person who invented Jesus basically the equivalent to Jesus as a philosopher, once you take out all that magic voodoo nonsense.

And Jesus' teachings are philosophically quite interesting, albeit pretty obsolete now that we've had Kant, who put the ground rules of morality down in a much more clear, less ambivalent way.

BTW what really annoys me is treating "atheism" like some kind of homogenic faith conglomerate, where owning one retard who happens to be an atheist somehow disproves the entire concept of "critical thinking". That interviewer was an idiot, and the one owning him was an agnostic, which still makes him not a theist - so why even bring it up?

But I digress, also digest, but that's beside the point, it just has to be said that steak is delicious. Thanks go.... ...Evolution for that.

So in conclusion: Religion is self perpetuating, people believe in it because they're brought up to believe in it and are taught that believing in it is a virtue of it's own, which makes them feel bad about not believing, so even if they abandon a certain church and/or religion they'll probably cling to their imposed view that they have to soothe their concience by believing in something, and end up with some stupid hippie mumbo-jumbo of patchwork religion, lighting a couple candles for buddha before thanking the sun spirits, or whatever.

People would be better adviced spending their time reading an actual book on natural science, or history. At least then, you could learn something of permanent value.

Oh, and because I want all of this to sound smarter:
:coffee:
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:10 pm

VivaStPauli wrote:BTW what really annoys me is treating "atheism" like some kind of homogenic faith conglomerate, where owning one retard who happens to be an atheist somehow disproves the entire concept of "critical thinking". That interviewer was an idiot, and the one owning him was an agnostic, which still makes him not a theist - so why even bring it up?
Was the interviewer really owned? All I see is Bart Ehrman making a lot of non sequiturs by comparing the historicity of Jesus with other (actual) historical figures.

There is much better and more reliable evidence to suggest that the mentioned figures actually existed. Not only posthumous evidence (as it is in Jesus' case) but evidence dating to the time they actually lived. And not only evidence stemming from scripture that is extremely inconsistent. The sheer amount of evidence and the quality of such just doesn't compare.

I have to reiterate that the oldest account we have on Jesus came from St. Paul and that was also posthumous, approximately 50 years after Jesus presumably died. To compare this with the reliable evidence we have on the Holocaust, Caesar and Lincoln is absolutely disgraceful!

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan28 Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:17 pm

Senor Penguin wrote:
VivaStPauli wrote:BTW what really annoys me is treating "atheism" like some kind of homogenic faith conglomerate, where owning one retard who happens to be an atheist somehow disproves the entire concept of "critical thinking". That interviewer was an idiot, and the one owning him was an agnostic, which still makes him not a theist - so why even bring it up?
Was the interviewer really owned? All I see is Bart Ehrman making a lot of non sequiturs by comparing the historicity of Jesus with other (actual) historical figures.

There is much better and more reliable evidence to suggest that the mentioned figures actually existed. Not only posthumous evidence (as it is in Jesus' case) but evidence dating to the time they actually lived. And not only evidence stemming from scripture that is extremely inconsistent. The sheer amount of evidence and the quality of such just doesn't compare.

I have to reiterate that the oldest account we have on Jesus came from St. Paul and that was also posthumous, approximately 50 years after Jesus presumably died. To compare this with the reliable evidence we have on the Holocaust, Caesar and Lincoln is absolutely disgraceful!

By god, you know what, your not worth the time arguing with. If God himself showed up in front of you I bet you would still doubt his existence.

All we can do is wait and see who is right, I don't know about you, but i'm feeling pretty confident.
Senor Penguin wrote:
Ordinho10 wrote:Why do you keep on going on about priests and the Vatican as if they speak for all Christians? They are representative of a proportion of the faith yes but you talk of them as if they represent all of us. No one is claiming to be a divine voice in here, except for maybe you but thats for another topic.
It goes without saying that no one can speak for everyone. I didn't claim that anyone professed to be a divine voice here either. I merely said that you shouldn't profess to be an authority or expect that an appeal to authority is something that would work.

From this sentence you appear to proclaim authority: "This is why people who haven't been to church their whole lives should never talk it, you know absolutely nothing about it at all. "

Also, stop going on about this rubbish that many scholars deny Jesus' existence, it is not true, name me one well respected historian who does? I can name you more than one who does believe Jesus existed. Bart Ehrman, a liberal scholar, who is not a Christian in the any way, but an extremely well respected historian who believes that Jesus existed. In fact, there's a youtube audio clip where he absolutely owns some athiest talk show host on this very subject, video below.

Did you even listen to what he had to say?

"[On Jesus] And for him to say and do anything, he had to exist."
"What hardcore evidence is there that Julius Caesar existed?"
"Then why not just deny the holocaust? Or why not deny that Abraham Lincoln lived?"
"[On Jesus as a real person, asked by the interviewer] But I guess you would say, 'look we can look at the earliest manuscripts that date to around when he should have existed or something'? What do we have, 'cause we don't have anything that exists until he died, allegedly, right?" - "[Response] About him? Jesus? Well that's true of everyone." :facepalm:

I won't accept such ridiculous logic from anyone.

Again I have to question whether you actually read what you post?

The historians your presumed friend refers to gave their accounts on Jesus decades after Jesus' supposed crucifixion. Some of them were even born a few years after this supposed crucifixion took place. Not to mention that some of these accounts were arguably forged and are thus considered invalid by some.

The fact is that the oldest account we have on Jesus comes from St. Paul. This account came around 20-50 years after Jesus' supposed crucifixion as well and St. Paul never even met Jesus in the flesh. Jesus "appeared to him" after the crucifixion.

The criterion for evidence is embarrassing when it comes to the historicity of Jesus.

You speak of him as if he isn't a friend of yours? And now you're a "history student"? Alright. Another appeal to authority.

Abovetopsecret? A site that promotes insane conspiracy theories? Good grief.

Looking aside of that, did you - once again - actually read what you copied & pasted? Suspect

It doesn't matter what the background of the website is, with that logic, anything that is said in this forum can be taken with a pinch of salt due to the large amount of immature posters in it. The fact still remains, those are the names of respected Historians/theologians/scholars who can back up my viewpoint, i'm still waiting for yours.
Jonathan28
Jonathan28
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan28 Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:18 pm

Senor Penguin wrote:

There's no first hand evidence for the existence of Alexander, and yet, you don't doubt his existence.

There's no first hand evidence for the existence of Plato and Socrates, and yet, you do not doubt thier existence.

In fact, Paul was around during the life of Jesus, he probably just never wrote it all down until later on in his life(most likely when he was a prisoner in Rome and about to be beheaded). It doesn;t take much logic to figure this out does it?

Also, people would take Ehrman view over yours anyday. You are preaching to the wind, because in Ehrman's words, no serious historian would even entertain a debate with you.

You know what, your not worth the time arguing with. If God himself showed up in front of you I bet you would still doubt his existence.

All we can do is wait and see who is right, I don't know about you, but i'm feeling pretty confident.

Btw, this doesn't mean I don't want the names of the historians and theologians you went on about, I'll be waiting for them. I have my sources now show me yours.

Last edited by Ordinho10 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jonathan28
Jonathan28
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan28 Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:26 pm

VivaStPauli wrote:Why are we discussing the historical Jesus? Or rather: his existence?
It's utterly irrelevant.

If Jesus did in fact not exist, someone made up his teachings and wrote them down, making that person who invented Jesus basically the equivalent to Jesus as a philosopher, once you take out all that magic voodoo nonsense.

And Jesus' teachings are philosophically quite interesting, albeit pretty obsolete now that we've had Kant, who put the ground rules of morality down in a much more clear, less ambivalent way.

BTW what really annoys me is treating "atheism" like some kind of homogenic faith conglomerate, where owning one retard who happens to be an atheist somehow disproves the entire concept of "critical thinking". That interviewer was an idiot, and the one owning him was an agnostic, which still makes him not a theist - so why even bring it up?

But I digress, also digest, but that's beside the point, it just has to be said that steak is delicious. Thanks go.... ...Evolution for that.

So in conclusion: Religion is self perpetuating, people believe in it because they're brought up to believe in it and are taught that believing in it is a virtue of it's own, which makes them feel bad about not believing, so even if they abandon a certain church and/or religion they'll probably cling to their imposed view that they have to soothe their concience by believing in something, and end up with some stupid hippie mumbo-jumbo of patchwork religion, lighting a couple candles for buddha before thanking the sun spirits, or whatever.

People would be better adviced spending their time reading an actual book on natural science, or history. At least then, you could learn something of permanent value.

Oh, and because I want all of this to sound smarter:
:coffee:

History all the way! Whats your favourite time period? Mine is the Roman era, that time was full of epicness. The greats of Africanus, Marius, Sulla, Cinna, Pompey, Crassus, Brutus, Spartacus and of course Caesar.

Give me 10 more years, and I will be an expert in this field, well, among peers anyway, I already think i'm an expert in the field Razz

Last edited by Jonathan28 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jonathan28
Jonathan28
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Grande_Milano Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:19 pm

Growing up and reading more, makes you become less religious. No doubt there is something exists that created us, but most religions try to interpret it in their way which they think is the only right
Grande_Milano
Grande_Milano
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:23 pm

Ordinho10 wrote:By god, you know what, your not worth the time arguing with. If God himself showed up in front of you I bet you would still doubt his existence.

How does this in any way relate to the scarce evidence on the historicity of Jesus? And what exactly are we waiting for? New evidence on a historical Jesus? Jesus' supposed second coming? The evidence for God?

I'm confused ...

It doesn't matter what the background of the website is, with that logic, anything that is said in this forum can be taken with a pinch of salt due to the large amount of immature posters in it. The fact still remains, those are the names of respected Historians/theologians/scholars who can back up my viewpoint, i'm still waiting for yours.
Some of the scholars that you quoted don't even contest my stance on Jesus' historicity. They also speak of something entirely different and I happen to agree with some of them. I agree entirely with Gerd Lüdemann, J. P. Moreland, Norman Perrin, James D. G. Dunn.

In fact, you could argue that these people actually discredit the oldest accounts we have on Jesus. And with good reason. There are a couple of others I agree with but it doesn't really relate to what I've talked about. I do, however, understand why some believe in a historical Jesus. It is feasible. I just don't believe that the evidence we currently have is enough to prove beyond reasonable doubt that he was an actual person in history.

Nonetheless, some of the people you quoted are ridiculous and borderline insane. Especially Rudolf Bultmann who sounds like someone who would fit well into an asylum or, at least, learn about asylums and use that knowledge in a historical perspective. So could a good share of the others who were quoted.

There's no first hand evidence for the existence of Alexander, and yet, you don't doubt his existence.
I don't know enough about Alexander to take a stance on the matter.

There's no first hand evidence for the existence of Plato and Socrates, and yet, you do not doubt thier existence.
There is, if I'm not mistaken, actually contemporary evidence which suggests Socrates existed. There is none for Jesus. Apart from that, there is no rational motive (that I know of) to believe Socrates might have been a construction of the mind. Plato on the other is most definitely real.

To conclude briefly: there's no similarity in evidence whatsoever between Socrates and Jesus. Based on the evidence, Socrates is more believable as a historical figure.

In fact, Paul was around during the life of Jesus, he probably just never wrote it all down until later on in his life(most likely when he was a prisoner in Rome and about to be beheaded). It doesn;t take much logic to figure this out does it?
The historical fact is that he never met Jesus but rather Jesus appeared to him after the crucifixion and he wrote his epistles at least 20 years after his death.

Also, people would take Ehrman view over yours anyday. You are preaching to the wind, because in Ehrman's words, no serious historian would even entertain a debate with you.
I am not "preaching" anything. I am merely stating the facts and contesting the mainstream belief with my own belief, based on the facts.

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:52 pm

While most of Jesus preachings were a great improvement from the old testament, he also said some apalling things like (according to the bible, which may be or may not be what Jesus actually said):

"If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned."
Don't believe in Jesus? Just burn.

"For there are eunuchs, that were so born from their mother's womb: and there are eunuchs, that were made eunuchs by men: and there are eunuchs, that made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it."
Wanna go to heaven? Cut your balls.

"It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid."
So all terrible things from Old Testament still stand according to Jesus.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan28 Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:22 pm

free_cat wrote:While most of Jesus preachings were a great improvement from the old testament, he also said some apalling things like (according to the bible, which may be or may not be what Jesus actually said):

"If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned."
Don't believe in Jesus? Just burn.

"For there are eunuchs, that were so born from their mother's womb: and there are eunuchs, that were made eunuchs by men: and there are eunuchs, that made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it."
Wanna go to heaven? Cut your balls.

"It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid."
So all terrible things from Old Testament still stand according to Jesus.

Woah, woah, woah, hold on there mate, lets not get carried away here. Wooh, you are gonna give every one a scare with this post, some commentary should help here

Clarke's Commentary on John 15:6
If a man abide not in me - Our Lord in the plainest manner intimates that a person may as truly be united to him as the branch is to the tree that produces it, and yet be afterwards cut off and cast into the fire; because he has not brought forth fruit to the glory of his God. No man can cut off a branch from a tree to which that branch was never united: it is absurd, and contrary to the letter and spirit of the metaphor, to talk of being seemingly in Christ - because this means nothing. If there was only a seeming union, there could be only a seeming excision: so the matter is just where it began; nothing is done on either side, and nothing said to any purpose.

He is cast forth - Observe, that person who abides not in Christ, in a believing loving, obedient spirit, is -

1. Cut off from Jesus, having no longer any right or title to him or to his salvation.

2. He is withered - deprived of all the influences of God's grace and Spirit; loses all his heavenly unction; becomes indifferent, cold, and dead to every holy and spiritual word and work.

3. He is gathered - becomes (through the judgment of God) again united with backsliders like himself and other workers of iniquity; and, being abandoned to his own heart and Satan, he is,

4. Cast into the fire - separated from God's people, from God himself, and from the glory of his power. And,

5. He is burned - is eternally tormented with the devil and his angels, and with all those who have lived and died in their iniquity.

For those who do not understand, Jesus in this passage is not talking about the everyday man on the street, in fact, non-believers are exempt from this all together. this is directly aimed at the people who claim to have been believers their whole lives and have a holier-than-thou mentality when in reality, they are the biggest hypocrites that have ever walked the earth. During Jesus' time the Pharisees were these exact people. They always made sure to pray in the temple at the time lots of people were around to make sure everyone saw them, they neglected the poor and the broken because they did not want to been seen around them. They neglected their duties as teachers and scholars and instead focused on themeselves with lavish dinners and clothes. That is why Jesus said they have withered and will be cast off from the tree, anyone who claims to be a believer and does not live as he preaches will suffer the same punishment.

The expression means, as the withered and useless branches of trees are gathered for fuel, so shall it be with all hypocrites and false professors of religion.

Eunuchs - Ευνουχος, from ευνην εχειν, to have the care of the bed or bedchamber; this being the principal employment of eunuchs in the eastern countries, particularly in the apartments of queens and princesses. These are they whom our Lord says are made eunuchs by men, merely for the above purpose.

So born from their mother's womb - Such as are naturally incapable of marriage, and consequently should not contract any.

For the kingdom of heaven's sake - I believe our Lord here alludes to the case of the Essenes, one of the most holy and pure sects among the Jews. These abstained from all commerce with women, hoping thereby to acquire a greater degree of purity, and be better fitted for the kingdom of God: children they had none of their own, but constantly adopted those of poor people, and brought them up in their own way. Philo, Josephus, and Pliny have largely described this very singular sect; and Dean Prideaux, with his usual fidelity and perspicuity, has given the substance of what each has said. Connex. vol. iii. p. 483, etc.; edit. 1725. The account is very interesting, and well worthy the attention of every Christian. Among the rabbins we find these different kinds of eunuchs, not only mentioned, but circumstantially described, סריס חמה saris chama, eunuchs of the sun, i.e. eunuchs by the hand of God; men born impotent. סריס אדם saris Adam, eunuchs of men, those who were castrated. And they add a third sort; those who make themselves eunuchs, abstain from marriage, etc., that they may give themselves Up to the study of the Divine law. See many examples in Schoettgen.

He that is able to receive - Χωρειν χωρειτω. These words are variously translated: he who can take; let him take it; comprehend, let him comprehend it: admit, let him admit it. The meaning seems to be, Let the man who feels himself capable of embracing this way of life, embrace it; but none can do it but he to whom it is given, who has it as a gift from his mother's womb.

The great Origen, understanding the latter clause of this verse (which I have applied to the Essenes) literally - O human weakness! - went, and literally fulfilled it on himself!

Jesus is not talking about cutting your balls off, he he talking about marriage and how some men whether through choice or some brith defect choose to stay unmarried to get closer to him. There is more then one kind of eunuch as the quoted text shows. As also mentiones in the last sentence, human stupidity made the Essenes take it literally. No where does Jesus condone the act of people physically mutilating themselves, that has never been his message.

This is an argument people bring up all the time, when they do not understand it. I will have to out this together with another infamous verse people seem to bring up all the time. Matthew 5:18.

"I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished."

Verily - Truly, certainly. A word of strong affirmation.

Till heaven and earth pass - This expression denotes that the law never would be destroyed until it should be all fulfilled. It is the same as saying everything else may change; the very earth and heaven may pass away, but the law of God shall not be destroyed until its whole design has been accomplished.

One jot - The word "jot," or yod (י y), is the name of the Hebrew letter I, the smallest letter in the Hebrew alphabet.

One tittle - The word used here, in the Greek, means literally a little horn, then a point, an extremity. Several of the Hebrew letters were written with small points or apices, as in the Hebrew letter, shin (שׁ sh), or the Hebrew letter, sin (שׂ s), which serve to distinguish one letter from another. To change a small point of one letter, therefore, might vary the meaning of a word, and destroy the sense. The name "little horn" was given to these points probably from the manner in which they were written, resembling a little horn. Professor Hackett says of a manuscript which he saw a Jew transcribing: "One peculiarity, that struck me at once as I cast my eye over the parchment, was the horn-like appearance attached to some of the letters. I had seen the same mark, before this, in Hebrew manuscripts, but never where it was so prominent as here. The sign in question, as connected with the Hebrew Letter Lamedh (ל L) in particular, had almost the appearance of an intentional imitation of a ram's head. It was to that appendage of the Hebrew letters that the Saviour referred when he said, "'Not one jot or little horn' (as the Greek term signifies, which our version renders 'tittle,') 'shall pass from the law until all be fulfilled.'" - Illustrations of Scripture, p. 234. Hence, the Jews were exceedingly cautious in writing these letters, and considered the smallest change or omission a reason for destroying the whole manuscript when they were transcribing the Old Testament. The expression, "one jot or tittle," became proverbial, and means that the smallest part of the law should not be destroyed.

The laws of the Jews are commonly divided into moral, ceremonial, and judicial. The moral laws are such as grow out of the nature of things, and which cannot, therefore, be changed - such as the duty of loving God and his creatures. These cannot be abolished, as it can never be made right to hate God, or to hate our fellow-men. Of this kind are the ten commandments, and these our Saviour has neither abolished nor superseded. The ceremonial laws are such as are appointed to meet certain states of society, or to regulate the religious rites and ceremonies of a people. These can be changed when circumstances are changed, and yet the moral law be untouched. A general in an army may command his soldiers to appear sometimes in a red coat and sometimes in blue or in yellow. This would be a ceremonial law, and might be changed as he pleased. The duty of obeying him, and of being faithful to his country, could not be changed.

This is a moral law. A parent might permit his children to have 50 different dresses at different times, and love them equally in all. The dress is a mere matter of ceremony, and may be changed. The child, in all these garments, is bound to love and obey his father. This is a moral law, and cannot be changed. So the laws of the Jews. Those designed to regulate mere matters of ceremony and rites of worship might be changed. Those requiring love and obedience to God and love to people could not be changed, and Christ did not attempt it, Matthew 19:19; Matthew 22:37-39; Luke 10:27; Romans 13:9. A third species of law was the judicial, or those laws regulating courts of justice which are contained in the Old Testament. These were of the nature of the ceremonial law, and might also be changed at pleasure. The judicial law of the Hebrews was adapted to their own civil society. When the form of their polity was changed this was of course no longer binding. The ceremonial law was fulfilled by the coming of Christ: the shadow was lost in the substance, and ceased to be binding. The moral law was confirmed and unchanged.

As mentioned, Jesus was taling about the moral law, such as to love your neighbour and the ten commandments, which the laws today are based on. Do you really think if Jesus advocated Slavery people should still be Christians? Was it not Jesus himself who when the "religious" men brought a women who has been accused of adultery(in those days the punishment was death by stoning) who after saying if any man who has never sinned cast the first stone(and getting no response) told the women she was forgiven and free?

I know people try to look for any little contradiction from what jesus said but please, lets put logic into the arguments and not what you read on the internet forums or see on TV.
Jonathan28
Jonathan28
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next