TalkingReckless
BarrileteCosmico
Mr Nick09
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Nigeria gay ban law Empty Nigeria gay ban law

Post by Mr Nick09 Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:02 pm

Lagos - The United States expressed concern on Friday over legislation in Nigeria that seeks to outlaw gay marriage and organisations as well as ban public displays of affection between homosexual couples.

"The United States is concerned about reports of legislation in Nigeria that would restrict expression, assembly or organisation based on sexual orientation or gender identity," a statement issued by the US embassy said.

"The United States believes that all people deserve the full range of human rights and opposes the criminalisation of sexual relations between consenting adults. The United States is watching this matter closely."

Nigeria's senate this week approved the bill, which must still be voted on by the House of Representatives and signed by President Goodluck Jonathan.

The bill spells out a 14-year jail term for anyone entering into same-sex marriage or civil union.

Those who abet or aid such unions could receive 10 years, as would "any person who registers, operates or participates in gay clubs, societies and organisations" -- a provision that seems to target gay advocacy groups as well.

The bill also sets out a 10-year sentence for "any person who... directly or indirectly makes public show of same-sex amorous relationships".

The US statement said "the freedoms of speech, assembly and association are long-standing international commitments and universally recognised."

"Nigeria, as a state party to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, has assumed important obligations on these matters.

We expect the government of Nigeria to act in a manner consistent with those obligations."

- AFP
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Nigeria gay ban law Empty Re: Nigeria gay ban law

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:15 pm

Which Nigerian discovered the time machine to the middle ages? :facepalm:
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:23 pm

you can't really go tell someone it's aganist people's freedom when only 6 out of 50 states in your country allowed same sex marriage

however sending someone to jail for that is stupid
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri Yukuv Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:35 pm

Those guys have alot to worry about except gay rights, then again I am sure the corrupt elite want to look like the defenders of virtue and morality.
Yuri Yukuv
Yuri Yukuv
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:28 pm

I doubt most Nigerian people care about who's gay and who's not.

I guess that guy who celebrated by poking his mate's ass after scoring is going to jail now.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:31 pm

Sushi Master wrote:I doubt most Nigerian people care about who's gay and who's not.

I guess that guy who celebrated by poking his mate's ass after scoring is going to jail now.

that was in iran
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:43 pm

imalegend wrote:
Sushi Master wrote:I doubt most Nigerian people care about who's gay and who's not.

that was in iran
It doesn't matter where it was, just saying that those guys probably aren't gay at all, yet they might still get locked up 10 years due to that shitty law.

Same thing could happen to any Nigerian.

I guess they're gonna have to be all macho and the like now.

Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:28 pm

imalegend wrote:you can't really go tell someone it's aganist people's freedom when only 6 out of 50 states in your country allowed same sex marriage

You are right, the US itself has a fair distance to go before homosexuals are treated as full and equal citizens. However, that is a far cry from what the Nigeria has put in place, which is both regressive and oppressive. There really should be more international outcry about this and the bill that arose in Russia.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by WoahMancini Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:08 am

I personally think homosexuality is not right for anyone who is a religious man/woman. According to both the Bible and the Quran, homosexuality is a severe sin.
WoahMancini
WoahMancini
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:39 am

WoahMancini wrote:According to both the Bible and the Quran, homosexuality is a severe sin.

If homosexuality is a sin according to those holy books then why does God make people gay? Why does He make gay people if He's later just going to send them to Hell, no matter what they do to help mankind? Maybe I have misunderstood something, I'm not sure.

Last edited by english_jewel on Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:53 am; edited 1 time in total

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:52 am

imalegend wrote:you can't really go tell someone it's aganist people's freedom when only 6 out of 50 states in your country allowed same sex marriage

You don't have to allow them to marry to know that jailing people for being gay is wrong...
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:02 am

WoahMancini wrote:I personally think homosexuality is not right for anyone who is a religious man/woman. According to both the Bible and the Quran, homosexuality is a severe sin.

Why can't we live and let live? If one believes God will punish sinners in the afterlife then why doesn't one just let them do whatever they want and see what happens later? You wouldn't want someone harassing you for swearing, lying, shirking, being ignorant or any of the common sins we commit everyday would you? Neutral
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:40 am

This thread really isn't about whether homosexuality is acceptable according to any religion or belief system. It's about whether a government has a right to make such acts illegal and oppress those that are..
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:55 am

Might be bad for gays in Nigeria but Uganda is the place to avoid. Saw this documentary (The World's Worst Place to Be Gay?) a while back:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00yrt1c

Can be found on YouTube:

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:21 pm

RedOranje wrote:This thread really isn't about whether homosexuality is acceptable according to any religion or belief system. It's about whether a government has a right to make such acts illegal and oppress those that are..

Of course they don't. They are denying their people rights. But the thing is many leaders use their religion to justify things like that, like Bachmann (although of course she's not a leader yet) who said she'll ban gay marriages because of what the Bible says.

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:41 pm

Sushi Master wrote:
imalegend wrote:

that was in iran
It doesn't matter where it was, just saying that those guys probably aren't gay at all, yet they might still get locked up 10 years due to that shitty law.

Ok lets see it this way, basically you think you are smart and Nigerian government is barbaric.

Obviously they have a judiciary system that will take such actions into consideration before people are charge and they will have the right to defend theirselves in the court of Law.
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

http://pose-grpp.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:46 pm

Meh, another government which tries to distract from real problems by attacking minorities...
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:34 pm

Idrisozet wrote:
Sushi Master wrote:
imalegend wrote:

that was in iran

Ok lets see it this way, basically you think you are smart and Nigerian government is barbaric.

Obviously they have a judiciary system that will take such actions into consideration before people are charge and they will have the right to defend theirselves in the court of Law.
Any half smart person would know that applying those laws in the 21st century makes no sence at all.

Why do you have to defend yourself for being gay?
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:44 pm

Sushi Master wrote:
Idrisozet wrote:
Sushi Master wrote:
imalegend wrote:

that was in iran

Any half smart person would know that applying those laws in the 21st century makes no sence at all.

Why do you have to defend yourself for being a Pedophiles..?

Why do you have to defend yourself for being polygamy...?

Hey I dont have anything against Gay people, I know some gay people and I dont have anything against them at all I am cool with them personally, it means more girls for me and I like it like that.

But if Nigeria government and it's people decide to pass a law based on their cultural believes, morals, Normality and also taking into consideration what majority of the public want, then that becomes the law of the country.

As far as Nigeria is concerned Gay Mariage is still very abnormal, just like how some countries see polygamy marriage and Pedophiles

Dont know if you get my point.
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:13 pm

Idrisozet wrote:
Sushi Master wrote:
Idrisozet wrote:
Sushi Master wrote:
imalegend wrote:

that was in iran

Hey I dont have anything against Gay people, I know some gay people and I dont have anything against them at all I am cool with them personally, it means more girls for me and I like it like that.

But if Nigeria government and it's people decide to pass a law based on their cultural believes, morals, Normality and also taking into consideration what majority of the public want, then that becomes the law of the country.

As far as Nigeria is concerned Gay Mariage is still very abnormal, just like how some countries see polygamy marriage and Pedophiles

I kinda get your point, yes. But it would have made sence if the law was passed in the 15th century, not in the 21st. Throughout history homosexuales have been heavily repressed, but then again, through history. Nowadays, it's a lot more common and many countries have opened up and loosened their grip on what is really a harmless trait. It's part of what some people are and hell, it can even be genetic, if I recall correctly. Nigeria has taken a step backwards.

Your point would make more sence if you told me it was some Amazonian tribe or lost Zulu clan that were lost to the world and completely isolated from everything.

I don't have any problems with polygamy, actually. We're all polygamists by nature. Monogamy is pretty much just a control mechanism.

Pedophilia is a whole different matter entirely. You don't have any defense there for various reasons I hope I don't have to explain.

Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:24 pm

If you really think having sex with children is the same as two adults of the same sex having consensual sex is the same then you need a head exam.

Besides that, people don't defend themselves for being anything in western society (Thank Gawd!). It's the accusers who bear the burden of proof and not the accused.

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by jn2002dk Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:39 pm

Idrisozet wrote:
Sushi Master wrote:
Idrisozet wrote:
Sushi Master wrote:
imalegend wrote:

that was in iran

First off, comparing pedophilia with homosexuality? you're *bleep* kidding right?

Secondly, stop using moronic logic
What if Nigeria decided having blue eyes should result in life in prison?
Or red hair?
Or being german?
You'd be ok with that?

Geez man, think before you post
jn2002dk
jn2002dk
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:01 am

Think about it Paedophilia can't help it neither, a 13years old girl could agree to have sex with a 30years oldman.

*bleep* this topic, I dont wanna continue with it, deeper than what you think. There are some things that I can accept but will never encourage...
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by jn2002dk Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:56 am

There is a major difference

A young girl(child) is below age of consent which means, according to experts, she is incapable of agreeing to have sex with an adult because she is not fully developed yet

Two adult men or women engaging in consensual sex is nobodies business but their own
jn2002dk
jn2002dk
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:24 am

Idrisozet wrote:Think about it Paedophilia can't help it neither, a 13years old girl could agree to have sex with a 30years oldman.
You're the one who should think about it. Children are neither mentally nor physically ready to make such a choice and that's why it isn't a choice - pedophiles are just taking advantage of them. This is also the consensus psychologists have found.

Homosexuality on the other hand happens between two mature adults who are able to make a choice for themselves. Why should the government tell grown ups what to do with their sex lives as long as the parties involved consent to it? I'd like some proper arguments for this.

I'll wait ...

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next