scirea6
Tomwin Lannister
pasquale22
Vibe
9 posters

Go down

Goal.com on Marchisio Empty Goal.com on Marchisio

Post by Vibe Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:38 pm

After cutting back onto his left foot, he unleashed a stinging drive which flashed off the far post. The large Juventus contingent at San Siro stood and applauded.It was a rare bright moment for Claudio Marchisio in the Trofeo Berlusconi defeat to Milan last night, but in those few seconds alone he gave his band of sympathisers just enough ammunition to continue their adulation of a player who continues to fall short in his quest to become the club’s next great midfield force.

Juve fans largely seem to be right behind the man picked out as a capitan futuro for the Bianconeri, but many has been the time when he has fallen short of the mark required. Last night was just the latest example. There were occasions last season – against Sampdoria and Udinese being the most stark – when an utterly anonymous midfield display was overshadowed by a spectacular attempt at goal. And while that may be enough to pull the wool over the eyes of some, those strikes are far too rare for the myth to continue unabated.

Once more he went missing in midfield last night. Milan rarely had the ball in the first half, but when they did they found it all too easy to carve openings through the middle. With Antonio Conte having moved Arturo Vidal to the left in a lop-sided pseudo-4-3-3 formation, he had taken his most forceful presence out of the centre, where he had dominated the Rossoneri for large spells of their Trofeo TIM clash in Bari on Thursday.
Alongside Andrea Pirlo, the Old Lady need someone who thrives on getting tackles in, but Marchisio too often resembles a midfield version of Marco Motta, preferring to stand off his man rather than get on top of the challenge early on. At San Siro it gave the likes of Antonio Cassano and Clarence Seedorf free reign to pick up space and begin threatening attacks.

His passing percentages also fall shy of the requirement, and on at least two occasions he played simple balls straight to a red and black shirt. One time he even had the temerity to hold out his hands to his team-mates as though the two free colleagues had provided no option but to surrender possession.

Many supporters point to the 25-year-old’s being played out of position on the left as a reason for his stagnation over the last couple of years, but if he had been good enough as a central midfielder he’d have been able to push out the likes of Mohamed Sissoko, Felipe Melo and Alberto Aquilani under any of the four coaches he’s played under in that time.

Giorgio Chiellini has also shown adaptability by playing the odd game at left-back, but was soon moved back into the centre of defence for a simple reason: he is the best they have in that position. Marchisio, on the other hand, is not the best central midfielder at Vinovo – not by a long shot.

Yet still there remains a core of fans who will jump to Marchisio’s defence – as anyone who was following Goal.com’s Carlo Garganese on Twitter last night will attest. And it is largely misplaced. If Conte is to make his Juventus a durable outfit, then the Italian international is not long for the first XI.

In the centre they require force and durability, such as is offered by Vidal, and they need the creativity that Pirlo can give them but Marchisio can’t. On the left, they have better options even without taking any new signing into account. Simone Pepe may not have the talent that the No.8 has, but he has the desire and the work ethic which Marchisio lacks.

This is Juventus Football Club we’re talking about. The same Juventus Football Club which in the last 30 years has been decorated by great centre midfielders such as Zinedine Zidane, Edgar Davids, Didier Deschamps, Michel Platini, and of course 1982 World Cup winner Marco Tardelli, to whom Marchisio was once labelled the successor. To pretend that Marchisio is even close to being categorised alongside any of the stars that have preceded him would be to sully their names. And more than that, for him to continue being preferred to Vidal in the centre could seriously harm Conte’s attempts to make a winning outfit of the Bianconeri once more.

The desire to see youth products do well in the first team is admirable, but the club needs a winning mentality, not sentimentality.

I don't even know where to start explaining why is this one of the most idiotic articles I've read...What's your take on it?
Vibe
Vibe
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Goal.com on Marchisio Empty Re: Goal.com on Marchisio

Post by pasquale22 Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:42 pm

It would kill me to see marchisio on the bench. To see him sold? Well I'd b outraged
pasquale22
pasquale22
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:42 pm

I think it's too harsh. He never got picked in the midfield over aquilani, Melo etc only because he was the only player who could change position. In a 4-4-2 they wouldn't put Melo on the wing would they?

I think he's alot better than thi article makes him out to be. Box to box midfielders don't have amazing passing ratio's. They are the engine in the middle of the park.

Last night it was Marchisio vs 3cm's as Pirlo can't defend and it was a 4-2-4. Not a 4-4-2.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by pasquale22 Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:45 pm

TomJuve wrote:I think it's too harsh. He never got picked in the midfield over aquilani, Melo etc only because he was the only player who could change position. In a 4-4-2 they wouldn't put Melo on the wing would they?

I think he's alot better than thi article makes him out to be. Box to box midfielders don't have amazing passing ratio's. They are the engine in the middle of the park.

Last night it was Marchisio vs 3cm's as Pirlo can't defend and it was a 4-2-4. Not a 4-4-2.
Summed it up pretty well
pasquale22
pasquale22
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by pasquale22 Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:46 pm

TomJuve wrote:I think it's too harsh. He never got picked in the midfield over aquilani, Melo etc only because he was the only player who could change position. In a 4-4-2 they wouldn't put Melo on the wing would they?

Summed it up pretty well
pasquale22
pasquale22
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by scirea6 Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:46 pm

1. Marchisio is the best left midfielder we had last season much better than pep. It goes to show that he will sacrifice his position for Juve, which is needed in any club to win.
2. He was brilliant preseason except for one match against Milan.
3. Can either of melo or sissoko or aquilani play in any other role except CM?.
4. Kris voakes is a Milanista who doesnt understand why Marchisio is important to Juve.
5. Vidal wasnt playing in the center but more behind Matri in a 4-2-3-1 and one good match doesnt make him god or better than marchisio who has more than one good match. Vidal was tired as shit last night.

So Shut up Voakes and go tend to Berlusconi's hair.
scirea6
scirea6
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by dronte Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:00 pm

To be honest, I had similar thought last season about Marchisio as well as this pre-season.. Something is just missing from him to dominate the midfield. Sometimes he shows flashy skills like vs Inter last year (or 2 years ago? cant rly remember) and yesterday, but seriously he does not fit into this central midfield area. It always feels like he is playing out of position. Although this article is exaggarating much of course (you cant mention Pepe and Marchisio on the same day...), there is still some truth in it.

dronte
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by :{Mr.Mustachio! Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:03 pm

It's so bad, I literally don't know where to start...

Vidal scores and assists, put's in two equally (or even more so) anonymous performances and is directly responsible for two goal and he is god. The way people rank players makes me sick at times.

I'm so happy Vidal is with us, i'm excited for the future, BUT HE DID NOT DOMINATE MILAN IN THE TIM. NOT EVEN CLOSE. Pirlo and Marchisio against Inter did on the other hand. Vidal did well in a overtly attacking role, nothing in terms of running nevermind dominating their midfield .

But to say he fell short last night, really? Like he did last season at the San Siro Mr.Voakes? Who cares about the Berlusconi cup anyway. We lost it 4-1 at the start of the 08/09 season and wen't on to have a good season; It far from gives a proper impression of where the teams are at.

To compare him to Marco Motta and Pepe shows how credible this heap of shit is.

About Sissoko/Melo/Aquilani, I wonder why did he outlast them, that's what I wan't to know...

Because he's been our best CM since Calciopoli!

:{Mr.Mustachio!
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by DeviAngel Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:45 pm

Marchisio never had the chance to expand as player in his CM role ...give him one season to do so and let us judge ...he only misses experience he was played on many positions LW , CM , TQ (for italy) and so on never in his own position ...let the boy play there first ....he only misses experience and maybe lil muscles ....

If not as CM i would put him LWB
DeviAngel
DeviAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:56 pm

It upsets me to see alot of juventino on goal.com comments agreeing with this and saying he should be benched Crying or Very sad

Ofcourse his statistics aren't great. He's playing in a team which finished 7th place twice and he's NOT a playmaker.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by DeviAngel Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:58 pm

TomJuve wrote:It upsets me to see alot of juventino on goal.com comments agreeing with this and saying he should be benched Crying or Very sad

Ofcourse his statistics aren't great. He's playing in a team which finished 7th place twice and he's NOT a playmaker.

Listen when a player loses form he needs to be benched and played lil by lil no matter what player it is I agree about that but here it ain't the case
DeviAngel
DeviAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:02 pm

Poor article to say the least. Just kept shaking my head throughout.

Marchisio hasn't shined as brightly as Tardelli or Deschamps or Davids, but he's still got a lot of time on his side and he needs to be played in his natural position. He needs a coach that will trust him and give him regular starts at CM instead of LM, where he fills in admirably and without a fuss.

Voakes is being a straight up WUM, as evidence by him goading and chiding Marchisio supporters. Ridiculous stuff.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by zarola Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:25 pm

Ive never appreciated Marchisio and if anything I feel as if he is overhyped. But yesterday I thought he put in a performance that proved me wrong. He was everywhere.
zarola
zarola
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by :{Mr.Mustachio! Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:29 pm

zarola wrote:Ive never appreciated Marchisio and if anything I feel as if he is overhyped. But yesterday I thought he put in a performance that proved me wrong. He was everywhere.

Glad i'm not the only one who thought he put in a lot of effort yesterday. To be honest he was our only player really supporting the defence...
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:08 pm

McLewis wrote:Poor article to say the least. Just kept shaking my head throughout.

Typical goal.com none sense :coffee:

zarola wrote:Ive never appreciated Marchisio and if anything I feel as if he is overhyped. But yesterday I thought he put in a performance that proved me wrong. He was everywhere.

Zarola, I replied to your post regarding who worked hard, and I agreed with it, only me and you seem to agree that Marchisio was the true work horse out there... The man was competing against 3 CM's, in which TomJuve took from my post yesterday and said it today... I can't believe some people can say Vidal broke more plays than Marchisio, sure Vidal did break some plays, but only a few on the flanks as he was playing as a defensive winger supporting the mid.

:{Mr.Mustachio! wrote:Glad i'm not the only one who thought he put in a lot of effort yesterday. To be honest he was our only player really supporting the defence...

You're are not the only one, as I feel the same way. Yesterday, I had some people question my statement when I said Marchisio was working the hardest out there and yet denied that, in which they claimed he was quiet all game, of course he it seems that way to many who don't watch the games properly, Marchisio was all over the place yesterday, left and right, up and down, pressing on and breaking plays... I just find it odd, that up to this date, people don't see how important, and how good Marchisio is at being a box to box midfielder.

Last edited by sciacca on Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by :{Mr.Mustachio! Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:33 pm

sciacca wrote:
:{Mr.Mustachio! wrote:Glad i'm not the only one who thought he put in a lot of effort yesterday. To be honest he was our only player really supporting the defence...

You're are not the only one, as I feel the same way. Yesterday, I had some people question my statement when I said Marchisio was working the hardest out there and yet denied that, in which they claimed he was quiet all game, of course he it seems that way to many who don't watch the games properly, Marchisio was all over the place yesterday, left and right, up and down, pressing on and breaking plays... I just find it odd, that up to this date, people don't see how important, and how good Marchisio is at being a box to box midfielder.

You see, when he works defensively he is somehow expected to run the game in a attacking sense, scoring, assisting, dribbling...

But the truth is of course he cannot do both. As the lone defensive midfielder against three CM's and also Cassano who was in the hole, what was the expected outcome. If we are honest how can the midfield two dominate a midfield three?

If people wan't to see us dominate the midfield then in-fact Vidal-Pirlo-Marchisio could do that, that obviously has a effect on our attack though; But if people like some of the inter play between our strikers and the wingplay we have seen so far, then defensive weakness especially from long balls and counter attacks is the tightrope we tread for trying to use such a overtly attacking system! We can't have it both ways...

Remember guys, our weakness in previous years has been lack of cutting edge against small sides with deep defensive lines; this system can crack that, but the jury is still out on whether it will be as tactically viable against the better sides in Serie A.

Last edited by :{Mr.Mustachio! on Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:35 pm

MPD :coffee:
Vibe
Vibe
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:38 pm

:{Mr.Mustachio! wrote:You see, when he works defensively he is somehow expected to run the game in a attacking sense, scoring, assisting, dribbling...

But the truth is of course he cannot do both. As the lone defensive midfielder against three CM's and also Cassano who was in the hole, what was the expected outcome. If we are honest how can the midfield two dominate a midfield three?

If people wan't to see us dominate the midfield then in-fact Vidal-Pirlo-Marchisio could do that, that obviously has a effect on our attack though; But if people like some of the inter play between our strikers and the wingplay we have seen so far, then defensive weakness especially from long balls and counter attacks is the tightrope we tread for trying to use such a overtly attacking system! We can't have it both ways...

Remember guys, our weakness in previous years has been lack of cutting edge against small sides with deep defensive lines; this system can crack that, but the jury is still out on whether it will be as tactically viable against the better sides in Serie A.

I completely agree, and I've already said this countless times, it seems only me and you speak the same way in regards to Marchisio. This is what I saw Marchisio do yesterday, breaking plays like this. However he was a winger at that time...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down