LeSwagg James
BarrileteCosmico
dostoevsky
27 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Classical Music Appreciation Thread Empty Classical Music Appreciation Thread

Post by dostoevsky Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:44 pm

Sorry Zealous, I'm starting without you.

The thread was stopped just short of a 100 posts back in the old Goal forums, let's try and make this incarnation far more popular than that.

I shall begin with a selection of three favourites, please feel free to populate the thread with some of the popular works from the old thread as well as new composers and pieces.

Shostakovich's 10th Symphony, Movement II. Described by the composer as a musical portrait of Stalin, Herbert von Karajan's recording is considered the finest of all, though the Haitink recording is also a wonderful interpretation.

Secondly, the ballet which began riots in Paris, before the music became immensely popular when performed separately. The final movement, the Sacrifical Dance, here conducted by Esa-Pekka Salonen in the most intense interpretation I have ever heard, though the entire piece has been taken off youtube unfortunately.

To break the Russian trend and include something more contemporary I'll post Adams' Shaker Loops once more, though I promise not to overhype him too much.

The likes of Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Mahler and more deserve recognition, however I'll limit my first post to encourage others to participate. Enjoy!
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Classical Music Appreciation Thread Empty Re: Classical Music Appreciation Thread

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:04 am

I think you'll have a hard time getting to make this one more popular with Zealous out til September lol (and as far as I'm concerned, not aware of this forum's existence). Very Happy
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Classical Music Appreciation Thread Empty Re: Classical Music Appreciation Thread

Post by dostoevsky Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:08 am

September? Oh dear.

Giu better get here soon then. Mole, Hispano and Sushi Master used to show some interest as well.

Even if people just post the Four Seasons, Ode to Joy or other insanely popular pieces it at least gives me the excuse to keep updating and I can cover less celebrated or really obscure composers like Penderecki or Ligeti. Just so long as it doesn't appear that I'm just talking to myself. Very Happy
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:13 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUJagb7hL0E

Although this is probably not considered classical music lol.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:22 am

alfredandrew wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUJagb7hL0E

4'33", interesting choice for your first work. I've had this discussion before and I must say that I consider it music, however I would under no circumstances actually recommend the piece. The only danger is people clicking on the link, thinking we're insane and never actually bothering with Classical Music again.

To those interested it is a piece lasting 4 minutes and 33 seconds which consists entirely of silence. As such dissonances created by the audience whilst listening to the performance makes each interpretation unique, whilst despite claims that it is unimpressive and not a technical feat it should be noted that in response to the typical "an eight year old could write this," it may be said that no eight year old would actually think of 'writing' such a piece. On top of this it is also utterly ridiculous.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:54 am

I took a classical music course in University (easy credit lol) we would learn about the history and listen to songs and have to know the composer, style etc. .. Used to get high as hell before class, still aced that sh!t.. Holla at your boy Very Happy

I don't listen to classical music but I do appreciate the work

LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:54 am

dostoevsky wrote:
alfredandrew wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUJagb7hL0E

4'33", interesting choice for your first work. I've had this discussion before and I must say that I consider it music, however I would under no circumstances actually recommend the piece. The only danger is people clicking on the link, thinking we're insane and never actually bothering with Classical Music again.
Can we really say the piece belongs to any genre though lol? Very Happy
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:40 am

TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:02 pm

http://poptech.org/popcasts/benjamin_zander__poptech_2008

Fantastic fantastic presentation.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:08 pm

dostoevsky wrote:September? Oh dear.

Giu better get here soon then. Mole, Hispano and Sushi Master used to show some interest as well.

Even if people just post the Four Seasons, Ode to Joy or other insanely popular pieces it at least gives me the excuse to keep updating and I can cover less celebrated or really obscure composers like Penderecki or Ligeti. Just so long as it doesn't appear that I'm just talking to myself. Very Happy

I know Giu is going to be posting editorial's in the Juve section other than that i dont know.

I will post some stuff tomorrow Cool Zealous use to have a keen interest aswell and he was one of many people i sent out e-mails to so as seen as he get's back from holidays.

ITS ON !!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:07 am

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Pablo Padilla Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:08 am

Super.
Pablo Padilla
Pablo Padilla
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:48 am

Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:39 pm

I love classical music, but my scope of it is quite small...

Here's the Winter season from Vivaldi...the second movement is my favorite.

Rossini's Tancredi Overture - One of the best pieces I've had the honor of playing on trumpet.

"Benedictus" from Mozart's excellent Requiem -heavy on the opera, but it goes well with the movement of this piece.

McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:02 pm

dostoevsky wrote:

How bout this:

used to be able to play most of it at one point too. I'm sure it's probably considered an easy to play song though?
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

https://twitter.com/#!/dmizee

Back to top Go down

Post by The Nature Boy Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:25 pm

my 2 favorites:

and

The Nature Boy
The Nature Boy
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:00 pm

Some great additions and thank you all for your contributions.

I wish to introduce a lesser known Russian and Soviet composer, Nikolai Miaskovsky, a composer most readily recognised for his impressive symphonic output, however I wish primarily to highlight his Cello Concerto, a truly sublime composition. Unfortunately the finest rendition by Mstislav Rostropovich is unavailable on youtube in a form which does it justice. Two releases exist, however only one drawn from the Russian Archives which includes a man coughing over the recording for the entire performance is available on youtube. Instead I hope this will suffice:

Secondly, one of my favourite Piano sonatas, Franz Liszt's Sonata in B Minor. The other parts can be found in the links to the side of the video.

dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:45 pm

I was just sent this amazing performance and thought I'd share it. Truly marvellous; getting her signature is now a top priority.

dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:10 am

Bump.

Introducing Gustavo Dudamel, the man with the hair to match Puyol, and boasting one of the most marvelous projects and orchestras in the world: the Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra, featuring a truly astounding collection of young artists.

dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:00 pm

Cant have you seem like are speaking to yourself now can we dost?

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guiltybystander Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:25 pm

Some stuff I could find on youtube that I enjoy:

Not the best rendition in the world, but the other versions were all cut in 5 pieces.

Cool thread guys!
Guiltybystander
Guiltybystander
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : wisla krakow

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:30 am

Fantastic post GBS, I particularly loved the Sinfonietta which I wasn't acquainted with and the Scriabin. Prokofiev meanwhile is quite simply always amazing.

Thanks for posting as well Mole, though I'm not a Haydn fan lol. Now redundant positive reps for both of you. Smile
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:07 am

Zealous has returned!

Cue epic music. Cool

He deserves nothing but the best to herald his return, so I present Pierre Boulez and the Vienna Philharmonic's rendition of Stravinsky's Firebird.

dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by billy_gr Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:53 am

I always like Wagner’s music… the epic feeling was so appealing to me
billy_gr
billy_gr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Hades Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:57 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA_VGeC5ecU

indian classical .. lyrics are a bit weird
Lord Hades
Lord Hades
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next