BarcaLearning
Warrior
El Gunner
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Universal Basic Income Empty Universal Basic Income

Post by El Gunner Sun 21 Jul 2024, 20:17

Elon Musk feels a universal basic income will give more freedom over time & money, predicting the productive AI economy making income not just basic, but high.

Elon Musk, the CEO of Tesla and SpaceX, and owner of X (formerly Twitter), is one of the biggest proponents of universal basic income (UBI), expecting it to become necessary when robots and AI take over a large portion of jobs, Business Insider wrote.
https://www.hindustantimes.com/business/elon-musk-believes-in-universal-basic-income-ubi-once-ai-takes-over-his-top-8-quotes-101719119942220.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJnbqG_eQ-w

like Musk, I believe it is inevitable, and looking at the world today, i think the pros of it outweigh its cons

discuss...
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Universal Basic Income Empty Re: Universal Basic Income

Post by Warrior Sun 21 Jul 2024, 21:09

It already exists in the form of social welfare

Also Musk says that with automation will come abundance but i think it's a deluded reasoning. More like inflation will keep growing and increasing amount of people will live in poverty. In many cases it's less expensive (and more reliable) to pay some dude 30$ an hour instead of paying a machine and all the costs that comes with it on the long term.

Also if nobody is paying taxes where does the government/UBI money come from ?
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun 21 Jul 2024, 21:20

money is made up bro
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Sun 21 Jul 2024, 21:27

It's a lazy reasoning to avoid taking economy into account
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Sun 21 Jul 2024, 21:30

Musk is full of delusional or intentional bs anyway?

If everyone got paid very little money enough just to survive, I suppose it may work then I can imagine those sci-fi movies would be true, everyone just stays at home tuning into VRs for their lives... cos real life just would be crap in comparison since they cant afford anything bar the minimums..?
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Sun 21 Jul 2024, 21:32

Musk is for UBI, electric cars, solar, batteries, sustainable energy and people still consider him right wing hmm

Myesyats
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Sun 21 Jul 2024, 21:34

BarcaLearning wrote:Musk is full of delusional or intentional bs anyway?

If everyone got paid very little money enough just to survive, I suppose it may work then I can imagine those sci-fi movies would be true, everyone just stays at home tuning into VRs for their lives... cos real life just would be crap in comparison since they cant afford anything bar the minimums..?

UBI seems inevitable though doesnt it? If AI takes over all the work that needs to be done, what is left to do for humans?

Myesyats
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Sun 21 Jul 2024, 21:41

It's in the name, Universal BASIC Income. the payment amount will no where near enough to cause people to leave their jobs.

In Iran this is already kinda implemented btw, here the amount is super low and at best covers 15% of your expenses.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Sun 21 Jul 2024, 21:46

Myesyats wrote:Musk is for UBI, electric cars, solar, batteries, sustainable energy and people still consider him right wing hmm

UBI is actually a right-wing idea believe it or not, because it gives them an excuse to cut people's social security and streamline government expenses.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun 21 Jul 2024, 21:48

Warrior wrote:It's a lazy reasoning to avoid taking economy into account

AI will be the economy...

there will be the technocrats with their palaces and underground bunkers, and the masses in their 5x5m apartments

maybe at best there will be some sort of computer system where you do bullshit online work for e-coins like one of the Black Mirror episodes, just to tell your brain you're doing something valuable and you're competing against your fellow man
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun 21 Jul 2024, 21:50

Pedram wrote:

It's in the name, Universal BASIC Income. the payment amount will no where near enough to cause people to leave their jobs.

In Iran this is already kinda implemented btw, here the amount is super low and at best covers 15% of your expenses.

Musk believes it can eventually become Universal HIGH Income
maybe he is too much of a dreamer, who knows...
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Sun 21 Jul 2024, 21:56

@Pedram if you have to stop working because an AI can do your job, you'll be ok with living at 15% of your current lifestyle ? It's unrealistic

Government printing money as if it's made up and giving it away for free will cause inflation

By the way automation has already infiltrated every domain in which it's profitable to do so. We are not at the very beginning of the electronic revolution. So i believe pushing for BUI is an idea made by people such as Elon Musk who have personal interest keeping people quiet, naively hoping for better days.
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Sun 21 Jul 2024, 22:09

Warrior wrote:@Pedram if you have to stop working because an AI can do your job, you'll be ok with living at 15% of your current lifestyle ? It's unrealistic

Government printing money as if it's made up and giving it away for free will cause inflation

By the way automation has already infiltrated every domain in which it's profitable to do so. We are not at the very beginning of the electronic revolution. So i believe pushing for BUI is an idea made by people such as Elon Musk who have personal interest keeping people quiet, naively hoping for better days.

This is basically Elon Musk and other hyper-capitalists admitting the system has hit a brick wall and needs some tinkering to survive. don't believe for a second they care about people's wellbeing, this is them saving capitalism from itself.

Just my two cents.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun 21 Jul 2024, 22:12

Warrior wrote:We are not at the very beginning of the electronic revolution.

oh i think we are...
i can't even begin to think how the world will look by 2030, let alone 2050.

We are 16 years into social media, and those 16 years have felt like an eternity in terms of how much our social dynamics have changed

i live in a country where automation is barely that advanced, but just looking at the state of things, i think not only Namibia, but the entire world is on the edge of economic boiling point... i mean, we're already in the midst of it...

Covid taught us that most people would rather prefer working from home... most people who have jobs, no matter how much they pay, don't really like their jobs and the exhaustive hours and colleagues attached to it... most people entering the job market today, just work to survive (eat and pay rent)... buying a house, with a nice yard, and a decent car feels like a pipe-dream.

the average fall-in-between job for a man that you get these days are Uber gigs and delivery driving... once robots start driving cars, it's OVER like Joe Biden.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Sun 21 Jul 2024, 22:55

When automation hits Namibia don't expect the government giving you free money and if they do it would be a major mistake and your life won't get better from it.

People not liking their jobs is not a new phenomenon, if covid pandemic thought us something is that working from home equals much worse performance from employees and government officials, you notice it when you wait 2 weeks for an apointment at the license office while you used to wait 20 minutes. I don't see such mentality as sustainable on the long term.

A lot of jobs won't suffer from AI takeover. Mine as truck driver for example, my salary and social advantages are too cheap for an AI replacement to be profitable on the long term. My friends in construction are not worried either. You work because welfare is not enough to survive and that's with majority of people paying taxes Laughing imagine with a majority on welfare and the inflation that comes with it

AI revolution modifies the economy but it will not create abundance of stuff while people live on "basic universal income" because it's in nobody's interest to contribute in such reality taking place
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon 22 Jul 2024, 12:57

^^let's hope you are right it doesn't come to that
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Mon 22 Jul 2024, 20:09

I think this is an encouraging example of what UBIs can do:

McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by elitedam Mon 22 Jul 2024, 21:05

Myesyats wrote:Musk is for UBI, electric cars, solar, batteries, sustainable energy and people still consider him right wing hmm

If the guy giving Trump 45 mil a month is not right wing, then who the fuck is?
elitedam
elitedam
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Mon 22 Jul 2024, 21:48

Musk being a leftist is one of those galaxy brain takes. Laughing

If you just take a cursory look at his X timeline you'll see how much he repeats Republican talking points ad nauseam.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Mon 22 Jul 2024, 21:52

elitedam wrote:

If the guy giving Trump 45 mil a month is not right wing, then who the fuck is?

Being anti-left doesnt make you right-wing, just makes you anti-left

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-political-beliefs-public-stances-timeline-republican-desantis-2022-6?IR=T

He's been donating to both parties for years. Donated to Obama in 2008 etc

Myesyats
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Mon 22 Jul 2024, 22:14

Musk is right-wing though, he pretty much agrees with Republicans 99% of the time.

If you can't see that perhaps you're a right-wing too or maybe just suffering from cognitive dissonance.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by elitedam Mon 22 Jul 2024, 22:15

Like Pedram said, look at his recent stuff. He's not anti-left, he's pro-morons.

I don't know if it was the culture wars, or maybe it was the Thai cave stuff, but he's been constantly parroting far right bullshit like the Great Replacement Theory on Twitter.
elitedam
elitedam
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Mon 22 Jul 2024, 22:24

I am more interested in actions than words though. And his actions are that he devoted all his life to forwarding renewable energy which is not a right-wing value

People are complex you know, one or other label doesnt define them

Myesyats
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Mon 22 Jul 2024, 22:36

Myesyats wrote:I am more interested in actions than words though. And his actions are that he devoted all his life to forwarding renewable energy which is not a right-wing value

Why do you think he is so pro Trump then, do you honestly believe a leftist would back Trump? Laughing

Look Musk is a muti-billionaire, he might be in favor of some token sensible policies like renewable energy, which to be honest, can't be really placed on a political spectrum, using renewable energy is just common sense at this point, it's not a left or right issue.

But even that idea is purely being pursued for his own self interest and enriching himself, he wants to make electric cars a thing obviously.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Mon 22 Jul 2024, 22:40

Pedram wrote:
Myesyats wrote:I am more interested in actions than words though. And his actions are that he devoted all his life to forwarding renewable energy which is not a right-wing value

Why do you think he is so pro Trump then, do you honestly believe a leftist would back Trump? Laughing

I never said he's a leftist either

I don't get why people are so tribal these days. I agree on some stuff Dems say and other stuff that Republicans

Is it so hard to comprehend that people in the centre exist? Actually I'd argue it's most people in actual real world

I want renewable energy. I want opportunity for all. I'm pro abortion but I also want a secure border and common sense. IF someone is following their party like a cult you're a weirdo imo

Myesyats
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next