Warrior
Hapless_Hans
RealGunner
23 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Canadian politics - Page 2 Empty Re: Canadian politics

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:05 pm

McLewis wrote:  I'll never understand the thought process of anyone who thinks it's ok to paint their face to play act as another ethnicity. It makes absolutely no logical or moral sense.

I don't know what's so tough to understand about this tbh.
If you dress up as another person, you strive to emulate what's striking, or defining, about the way they look.
And if you go in costume as an stereotypical figure, you will try to wear the corresponding stereotypical attributes.

Nothing about this is illogical or immoral unless you consider the  concept of costume, or acting, or pretending, nonsensical and amoral.

That white people stereotyping black people in 'blackface' has a very hurtful history written in the history of racism and exploitation is of course also part of that.
But it's surely not the basic fact that white people dressed up as black people that was immoral and what is considered offensive about blackface, but the remorseless propagation of racist stereotypes and degrading images that these impersonations were delivering.

"Arabian Nights" themed parties are more in the history of Western fascination with 'orientalism' than they would be in the history of "blackface", although of course surely there are some parallels, and I'm not meaning to suggest that this wouldn't be offensive.

Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:20 pm

Oh I didn't realize the 2 other ones were legit black face. The scandal is starting to make more sense to me
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:21 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Oh I didn't realize the 2 other ones were legit black face. The scandal is starting to make more sense to me

wait what? Other ones? Laughing
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:26 pm

There are 3 and apparently there are more to come...

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:31 pm

Yeah, I don't know what's so bad about blackface, really. What's the main reason people consider it racist? If somebody dresses up as a viking no one's going to say they're being racist towards Norwegians.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:38 pm

RealGunner wrote:There are 3 and apparently there are more to come...

Oh wow. Ok. So it's his thing.
I must say I already found his family trip to Africa, was it?, with the clothes they wore, beyond weird and pretty offensive.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:40 pm

Nah, it was India

lmao what an absolute dickhead

Canadian politics - Page 2 Justin-Trudeau-Canada-Indian-trip-Narendra-Modi-humiliation
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:44 pm

I like how your sig blends in perfectly
Vibe
Vibe
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:53 pm

Art Morte wrote:Yeah, I don't know what's so bad about blackface, really. What's the main reason people consider it racist?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:05 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:
Art Morte wrote:Yeah, I don't know what's so bad about blackface, really. What's the main reason people consider it racist?

A long-ass page, care to give the short version?
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:08 pm

Art Morte wrote:
Hapless_Hans wrote:

Popular variety shows using blackface was a huge thing in the US and these shows were relentlessly racist and degrading, and fueled a notion of racial inferiority of blacks to go along with their socioeconomic exploitation and denigration
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:19 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:
Art Morte wrote:
Hapless_Hans wrote:

Popular variety shows using blackface was a huge thing in the US and these shows were relentlessly racist and degrading, and fueled a notion of racial inferiority of blacks to go along with their socioeconomic exploitation and denigration

And why should that lead to the assumption that everyone dressing up as a black person was trying to achieve the same degrading thing? Wasn't Trudeau dressed up as an Arabic man in at least one his blackface pictures; why would that be related to some old variety show blackfaces in America that represented no Arabians?

This whole blackface thing just holds no logic to me. If painting your face is consider racist, where does it stop? If a kid in Finland dresses up as an American Indian, with a bow in hand and a war bonnet on his head, is he or his parents now racist?
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:31 pm

Art Morte wrote:
Hapless_Hans wrote:
Art Morte wrote:

And why should that lead to the assumption that everyone dressing up as a black person was trying to achieve the same degrading thing? Wasn't Trudeau dressed up as an Arabic man in at least one his blackface pictures; why would that be related to some old variety show blackfaces in America that represented no Arabians?

This whole blackface thing just holds no logic to me. If painting your face is consider racist, where does it stop? If a kid in Finland dresses up as an American Indian, with a bow in hand and a war bonnet on his head, is he or his parents now racist?

If something has a distinctly, aggressively racist history, it's not hard to see why doing it would be considered racist.

As for the kid dressing up as 'Indian', it's a different kind of thing, though I'm sure Native Americans aren't really happy either about being an international kid's carnival costume stereotype, one which corresponds to the stereotypical representation in 'Wild West' movies and imagery that casually trivialize the genocide of their people for enjoyable, thrilling fictional consumption. Would you be?
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:43 pm

Anybody who have an ounce of judgement can differentiate a racist mockery from a simple Halloween costume hmm i don't see why we should put everyone on the same boat
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:49 pm

Trudeau is simply dumb, he thinks dressing as a Indian will give him good rep in India etc

He visits muslim communities in Ontario and goes to pray in the mosque dressed as an imam etc

It's always just for the show
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:41 pm

futbol wrote:Let's be honest. This is typical "Social Media News". 90 % of the population haven't heard about this "issue" or don't care.

Vibe is correct. Too many irrelevant idiots on Twitter etc. spreading and discussing irrelevant nonsense which does not matter to anyone.
it's made news all over the US and UK at least, I don't think it's limited to social media
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:44 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:Nah, it was India

Canadian politics - Page 2 Justin-Trudeau-Canada-Indian-trip-Narendra-Modi-humiliation
aren't we going overboard? what's offensive about wearing local clothing?
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:02 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:

I don't know, and most of all I have no idea what Indian people thought about this back then. I have no idea what kind of clothes these are, either.
But to me it simply looks like far too much, and there's something really funny and weird about this bizarre picture-postcard white family dressed over the top in 'local' costumes, apparently it's something they love to do and it's somehow bizarre isn't it
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:19 am

The Indians themselves had a problem with his pantomime attempt at PR and the problem they criticised this utter failure of a PM is common and saying that he just 'tries too hard'.

Trudeau is literally a packaged pasted and delivered pastel
with a famous name, by Canada's Liberal party and it worked superbly to get him into office yet they forgot he is not very smart and nowhere near qualified to do the job at hand let alone lead Canada.

Good man and definitely not a racist by any stretch but still a shambolic tenure for a PM.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:49 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:

Spoiler:

I don't know, and most of all I have no idea what Indian people thought about this back then. I have no idea what kind of clothes these are, either.
But to me it simply looks like far too much, and there's something really funny and weird about this bizarre picture-postcard white family dressed over the top in 'local' costumes, apparently it's something they love to do and it's somehow bizarre isn't it
Sure, we can agree he looks like a fool, but from there to offensive there's a big gap imo
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:51 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:Oh I didn't realize the 2 other ones were legit black face. The scandal is starting to make more sense to me

wait what? Other ones?  Laughing

I had only seen the middle one but there are 2 more:

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/13517/production/_108872197_trudeau_blackface_3_comp.jpg
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:24 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:
Hapless_Hans wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:

Sure, we can agree he looks like a fool, but from there to offensive there's a big gap imo

Yeah I can agree.
In any case to me there's hundreds of degrees on the scale of offensiveness, not everything is equally bad
I've by mistake offended a guy who slightly lisps the other day, for example, by telling a story about a radio speaker with a huge lisp while he was present
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:50 pm

futbol wrote:Let's be honest. This is typical "Social Media News". 90 % of the population haven't heard about this "issue" or don't care.

Vibe is correct. Too many irrelevant idiots on Twitter etc. spreading and discussing irrelevant nonsense which does not matter to anyone.

Agreed. Look: my signature.

Where I live, nobody gives a single fuck about these "issues". Outrage culture is mostly North America I think. Alright imma go back to fully enjoying my white privilege now.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:09 pm

My gf has a lisp you insufferable ass! I think you need to step down from your position as GL poster. #CancelHans

No but seriously, look the biggest flaw I see in people when talking about race (and god knows I'm not perfect) is that as long as you don't have racist intent, something can't be racist.

The people questioning this are the same that would say that a white person should be able to say "nigga" without a problem.

The flaw there is that some things are inherently racist. You don't NEED to have racist intentions when you dress up in blackface to be actively supporting racist ideas. For one, you've propagated the idea that a white person can pass as black for a party and it's all fun and games, but in reality black people all over the world can never pass as white, and that's a fact that condemns them, unfortunately, to a life that will, at this point in time, never really be equal. You're also doing nothing to dispel the idea that dressing up as a black person, or playing the character of a black person, is indeed something funny, or playful, or whatever compelled you to do it, which is in itself a racist stereotype.

Both of those are ignoring almost completely the history of blackface as it exists in Western civilization. Yet both of those are not OK. When you add in the heavy history of racist stereotyping and dehumanization that accompanies blackface in western (or at least North American) civilization, you start to see the inherent racism.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:10 pm

Live by the scimitar, die by the sayf. Couldn't happen to a nicer poseur
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor