Firenze
El Gunner
M99
Freeza
RealGunner
27 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The Oscars 2018 | 90th Academy Awards - Page 2 Empty Re: The Oscars 2018 | 90th Academy Awards

Post by M99 Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:38 pm

Call Me By Your Name soundtrack is incredible. Has taken over my Spotify.

M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

The Oscars 2018 | 90th Academy Awards - Page 2 Empty Re: The Oscars 2018 | 90th Academy Awards

Post by Onyx Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:20 pm

Our WOKEN General Matt Hardy most certainly DESERVED an OSCAHHH for his SCINTILLATING BROKEN BRILLIANCE!

The voting membahs for the OSCAHHS are OBSOLETE MULES who failed to recognise his WOKEN WISDOM. YEHHHHHSSSSSS. As a result, the MOMENTOUS ceremony may turn into a BATTLEFIELD. A DELETION may occur. YEHHHHSSSSS.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:30 pm

(Anti) War movies, movies about homosexuality, movies about blacks getting discriminated, movies about women facing adversary in their jobs due to their gender etc.

Hollywood establishment strikes again. rofl

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:35 pm

What a shitshow
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Ajax

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:57 pm

futbol wrote:(Anti) War movies, movies about homosexuality, movies about blacks getting discriminated, movies about women facing adversary in their jobs due to their gender etc.

Worst post of the year so far.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:01 pm

What's happened to you, MT? Surprised
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:34 am

M99 wrote:Call Me By Your Name soundtrack is incredible. Has taken over my Spotify.

I haven't seen it nor listened to the soundtrack, but iirc Sufjan has 3-4 songs in it (including the Oscar nominated one) so I'm completely unsurprised.

Sufjan is a magician. One of the best American artists right now, easily.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:28 pm

Thimmy wrote:What's happened to you, MT? Surprised

Ah yehhhhsssssss, Brother Thimmy. You and my previous state, The football of MT, go back a long way. We shared some MAGNIFICENT times on the game of video known as The War of Modern. Howeva, there is another war we must take part in. First, I must ENLIGHTEN you about my BROKEN CONDEESHON.

I have recently been AWAKENED by the SEVEN DEITIES. My soul is actually thousands of years old. The SEVEN DEITIES have gifted me with WOKEN WISDOM. YEHHHSSSS.

We are all part of the GREAT WAR. Our STUPENDOUS WOKEN General, Matt Hardy, shall guide us. Yehhhsssssssss.

WONDERFUL!

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:41 pm

RealGunner wrote:Really don't see the appeal behind The shape of water. I'll watch it when it comes on sky or netflix but it really doesn't sound anything special.

Best actor nominations look so weak

Why not?

It's a del Toro fantastical drama. Have you seen Pan's Labyrinth? If not, check it out and you'll understand that if this is of a similar quality film, it should be quite good. Having not seen it though, I am wondering how it managed thirteen nominations. Has anyone here seen it?
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:03 pm

I might go see it tomorrow.

Warning though, I am not a del Toro fan at all.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:43 am

Freeza wrote:
futbol wrote:(Anti) War movies, movies about homosexuality, movies about blacks getting discriminated, movies about women facing adversary in their jobs due to their gender etc.

Worst post of the year so far.

He's right though

Not trying to be a contrarian but Hollywood has been catering to this for a while now.

Add physical/mental disability+overcoming hardships to that list and you get the Sundance special.

Also, Shape of Water seems like your typical Del Toro movie (havent seen it yet). It shouldn't win anything if thats the case imo.
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:19 am

Your typical Del Toro film is not really a thing. He’s made a broad variety of stuff.

Always good to see that post, Es.

You hate on Unique but then you call gay people and women physically and mentally disabled.

Futbol’s post is so god damn reductive overall. And he misses the point of most of it.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:25 am

Wait, when did i call gay people and women physically and mentally disabled?
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:58 pm

We need these movies well at the forefront of our art form as to strengthen our say in the political world of today, as we strive towards a better future.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:08 pm

El Gunner wrote:We need these movies well at the forefront of our art form as to strengthen our say in the political world of today, as we strive towards a better future.

Movies shouldn't be a political vehicle, just like sports or football

Any entertainment format shouldn't be politicized, i don't go on Netflix wanting to see Black Lives Matter or Trump or whatever. Whatever the case may be, however strongly you feel about it, and however wrong it may seem not to have these issues at the forefront. At the end of the day, i enjoy entertainment as it is - entertainment.

Whilst these issues are important and shouldn't be discarded, this is not the platform to drive change no matter how much you want to believe so, if you really want a better future and want to see it materialize then you should pursue other avenues.
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:47 pm

lol you are so wrong my friend ES.

While I do understand your point that film should provide entertainment, which it should and it does, there are lot of blockbusters each year that cater to that audience and market.

But the thing I guess you are not familiar with as not being an art or film student or lover, is since the beginning of time there has been no bigger influential culture/scheme acting in combination as a protestor, liberator, educator and unfortunately also propaganda catalyst than the arts. And much like books, music, and the fine arts, film is a part of the arts, and not merely an entertainment scheme.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:51 pm

Just last night I watched a beautifully-crafted British/French African film shot in Zambia, that humourously filled with all sorts of satire, and tongue and cheek moments, yet takes itself seriously enough to tell an important story. One of so many that will come out of Africa, and more marginalised areas of the world, so that eventually one day the Western world can become smarter and see us for who we really are.

The film is titled I AM NOT A WITCH and I think it has received a few nominations as well throughout this awards season.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:45 pm

Art shouldn’t be political rofl

My god.

Art has always been political. Same as the truly great athletes have been political. Kareem and Muhammad Ali come to mind here.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:58 pm

I can't believe what I'm reading. I don't think he believes it tbh.

Disagree to the utmost with futbol and Kaladin but if they changed their tune slightly and talked about how such films are unduly rewarded at things like the Oscars BECAUSE they're overtly political, I wouldn't disagree probably. See: Moonlight beating Arrival last year when Arrival was the better film, and easily imo.*

*Moonlight is still a great film and I don't have many qualms with it winning on it's own merit. It was wonderful. It just wasn't better than Arrival.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:04 pm

It can be political as long as it isn't this stupid identity politics stuff that elevates transgender toilets stuff above real issues. Otherwise you'll get Trump. Movies like Full Metal Jacket are obviously political and legendary. They deal with serious political issues.

Movies/Series like "13 Reasons Why" take the cake though. In just 13 episodes they managed to fit in a gay latino, a lesbian Asian raised by gay parents, a white woman experimenting with lesbian sex and a white sportive guy being a rapist.

Really, no one cares about these "issues". In a recent poll during the whole MeToo nonsense 1 % of Germans found that "sexism" is an important topic. 1 %. rofl

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:17 pm

futbol wrote:It can be political as long as it isn't this stupid identity politics stuff that elevates transgender toilets stuff above real issues. Otherwise you'll get Trump. Movies like Full Metal Jacket are obviously political and legendary. They deal with serious political issues.

Movies/Series like "13 Reasons Why" take the cake though. In just 13 episodes they managed to fit in a gay latino, a lesbian Asian raised by gay parents, a white woman experimenting with lesbian sex and a white sportive guy being a rapist.

Really, no one cares about these "issues". In a recent poll during the whole MeToo nonsense 1 % of Germans found that "sexism" is an important topic. 1 %. rofl

That was really your criticism of 13 Reasons Why?

There's so much to criticise that show of doing, but really. Showing sexually conflicted teens is somehow your worst nightmare?
Good grief.

The show has a lot of problems, but featuring homosexual characters isn't the problem with it.

Your whole view on homosexuality and their representation in media is really reductive and idiotic. You make it seem like their sexuality is the point of the story as opposed to them just existing as characters and being anchors for a more universal story and themes.

Moonlight and Brokeback are both movies featuring gay characters in the lead roles.

Moonlight is even about gay characters whom are also black. Something that's the complete opposite of me as straight white man. But I still could see so much of myself is the lead characters because his emotions spoke to a more universal approach to heartbreak, the actual sexuality took a minor role in the movie.

Labeling every single movie in which there's characters of a different sexuality, gender or ethnic group as being defined by that single take is reductive and completely missing the point. But it also shows why these movies are important.

Also a lot of people cares about these issues if you actually managed to speak about it.

Last month in my journalism class we had a lengthy discussion about this said topic. Every single woman except one in my class had been attacked in some way by a man, this included heavy groping and various other degrees of harassments. This issue was important to every single one of them in the class. No idea where you get the 1% from, but that survey must really have been doctored or awfully conducted in some way.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:06 pm

Personally, I see sexism at work almost every day.
So again, it might just be a viewpoint thing for you and your fellow Germans if what you say is true.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:54 am

El Gunner wrote:
Anyway. I think Florida Project's DVD is also coming out mid-Feb. I have a feeling out of all of these it will be my favourite.Really liked Sean Baker's Tangerine.

Same here. Its the film I am looking forward to watching the most. Dat trailer put a smile on my face. Smile

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:14 am

Glory wrote:
El Gunner wrote:
Anyway. I think Florida Project's DVD is also coming out mid-Feb. I have a feeling out of all of these it will be my favourite.Really liked Sean Baker's Tangerine.

Same here. Its the film I am looking forward to watching the most. Dat trailer put a smile on my face. Smile

It’s coming out today according to the director on Twitter
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:25 am

Kaladin wrote:
El Gunner wrote:We need these movies well at the forefront of our art form as to strengthen our say in the political world of today, as we strive towards a better future.

Movies shouldn't be a political vehicle, just like sports or football

Any entertainment format shouldn't be politicized, i don't go on Netflix wanting to see Black Lives Matter or Trump or whatever. Whatever the case may be, however strongly you feel about it, and however wrong it may seem not to have these issues at the forefront. At the end of the day, i enjoy entertainment as it is - entertainment.

Whilst these issues are important and shouldn't be discarded, this is not the platform to drive change no matter how much you want to believe so, if you really want a better future and want to see it materialize then you should pursue other avenues.

Well that's just how it works in the entertainment sector and to its credit, Its one of most powerful ways to send across a message.

Even music, Half of the genres wouldn't exist if they was no political motive involved.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:49 pm

As long as you guys realise, it's not just entertainment, it's art as well.

Anyway. Saw The Shape of Water today. Much like Pan's Labyrinth it didn't move me. There were some lovely scenes, admittedly and with the very good execution of the film I think it is his best work to date (saying that without having seen The Devil's Backbone). But something about del Toro's fantastical style fused with sociopolitical issues just isn't my cup of tea I guess.

Sally Hawkins was excellent though.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next