windkick
CM Pep
BarrileteCosmico
22 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Ernesto Valverde Empty Ernesto Valverde

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon May 29, 2017 6:41 pm

Chronicle of a long assumed signing. Wish him all the best.

PS: our social media manager needs to be fired, #HolaValverde, seriously?
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Ernesto Valverde Empty Re: Ernesto Valverde

Post by CM Pep Tue May 30, 2017 11:56 pm

Not too thrilled, but I wish him all the best.

Hope he proves all the critics wrong.
CM Pep
CM Pep
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed May 31, 2017 1:50 am

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/may/30/ernesto-valverde-barcelona-nou-camp-stone-roses?CMP=share_btn_tw

He was always likely to be. Nicknamed “Txingurri”, the Ant, by Javier Clemente, Valverde played for Espanyol for two years, then for Barcelona before joining Athletic. At Barcelona, his spell was brief but he worked under Johan Cruyff, who he said “made an impact on us all”. In 1994, eight years before he even began coaching Athletic’s B team, Cruyff wrote of him: “He was intelligent and always expressed his interest to learn. As a coach he’ll be one of the most promising.” This is not the first time Barcelona have called, nor are they the only ones. Two summers ago Real Madrid wanted him: he was their first choice, ahead of Rafa Benítez.

Valverde said no, which says something about him. When Guardiola left Barcelona, he made two recommendations to succeed him: Valverde and his assistant Tito Vilanova. It was Vilanova they chose, seeking continuity, but two more offers followed swiftly. The next year Barcelona discreetly mentioned the job to him as they sought potential solutions to a delicate problem posed by Vilanova’s deteriorating health. Vilanova wanted to continue, so Barcelona respected that and Valverde agreed to return to Athletic. By the time doctors recommended that Vilanova did not continue, it was too late. Valverde had made a promise and he kept his word.

Tata Martino took over at the Camp Nou then but walked a year later. Again Barcelona offered Valverde the job; again he said he could not leave. When Madrid came, the response was the same. Barcelona accepted and signed Luis Enrique, but advised Valverde they would return. The change of sporting director did not change that intention and this summer, his contract up, European football secure for a fourth season, he and Athletic agreed it was time, no recriminations, no regrets.

So apparently we have been quite interested in him for a long time. Cruyff's assessment of him makes me cautiously optimistic.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CM Pep Wed May 31, 2017 5:48 am

Interesting. Damn you BC, now I'm actually intrigued.
CM Pep
CM Pep
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Wed May 31, 2017 6:03 am

I'm interested in this to be honest. Allot more interested than I was in Lucho to be honest (I'm sure you all remember how much I complained for months after I signed him...or should I say years)
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Wed May 31, 2017 10:20 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eY5G1m2ka8

His Athletic completely wrecked us.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed May 31, 2017 12:10 pm

TBF Athletic were a high pressing machine well before him. Still remember hat 2-2 we got there under Bielsa, GOAT match.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Wed May 31, 2017 1:52 pm

Cruyff on Valverde, when Valverde was Espanyol's coach:

"Siempre hay que ver las cosas en su medida. Su trabajo es más que excelente. Si ves jugar al Espanyol da gusto verlo. Me alegro mucho que haya gente como él o como Rijkaard que a parte de intentar jugar dejen disfrutar a la gente, porque el fútbol es para esto"
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:47 am

free_cat wrote:Cruyff on Valverde, when Valverde was Espanyol's coach:

"Siempre hay que ver las cosas en su medida. Su trabajo es más que excelente. Si ves jugar al Espanyol da gusto verlo. Me alegro mucho que haya gente como él o como Rijkaard que a parte de intentar jugar dejen disfrutar a la gente, porque el fútbol es para esto"

Lazy Free...

Cruyff: "You always have to judge things in their context. [Valverde's] work is more than excellent. It gives pleasure to watch Espanyol play. I'm very happy that there are people like him or Rijkaard that on top of trying to play they let the people enjoy, because this is what football is for."
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:44 am

These are some really heartwarming words & coming from Cruyff they definitely hold some special meaning. I'm getting a little hopeful now, but have to be careful so I'm not too disappointed. It's also interesting to learn that also Pep recommended him, which says a lot.

He has much more experience in La Liga than any other of the several previous managers as well. I will be happy if we can run away with La Liga next season. CL is hit or miss, and so is CdR, kind of. If he can get us either CL or LaLiga while playing great football (or at least visibly improved from the least season) then his first season will be a success. From then on, there will still be lots of room for improvement.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:22 pm

I don't feel he is any better than Luis Enrique. He has a small team mentality and he is not alpha enough to manage the big heads at Barcelona.

The fact that he is after Herrera says a lot about his mentality tbh.
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Boca Juniors

http://www.tikitakatoom.ml

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:22 pm

Guardiola was nobody as a coach when he took over the team and he did just fine with managing huge egos. He also did some bad transfer moves but it proves nothing and definitely not that he has weak mentality.

If whatever's weak, it would be the points you brought up.

Can you just be a little more positive? The guy barely started the job and you're already writing him off. Examples like Pep show that you can even be a nobody and still make it big and grab the world by the pussey.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:35 pm

There's nothing to assume he is after Herrera, or Laporte for that matter. He coached these players, hence the papers are gonna start rumours about them...

On paper, he's the most proven coach we have signed since a long time ago, and obviously with a better track record than Lucho who had Failuchoed at Celta and Roma.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Belgera Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:49 pm

https://twitter.com/FCNazalona/status/870234401082396674

In this twitter thread you can see the press conference translated. Remember to press the link below saying "more replies" or so to see the rest of the tweets.

Belgera
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:07 am

Would Herrera really be a bad signing? He would easily be our 4th best midfielder and was just United player of the season.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:01 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Would Herrera really be a bad signing? He would easily be our 4th best midfielder and was just United player of the season.

He wouldn't, at Iniesta's state, Herrera would probably improve on him. We would have a very solid defensive midfield, but with lack of quality and creativity.

However, the problem is that there are surely much better options than him. Isco, Verratti, etc.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:34 am

It's a shame RM won't sell to us because both James and Isco would be a great fit behind MSN Very Happy

Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:29 am

free_cat wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:Would Herrera really be a bad signing? He would easily be our 4th best midfielder and was just United player of the season.

He wouldn't, at Iniesta's state, Herrera would probably improve on him. We would have a very solid defensive midfield, but with lack of quality and creativity.

However, the problem is that there are surely much better options than him. Isco, Verratti, etc.

So the two examples you mentioned are not realistic. Not that I think United would part from Herrera easily either, but I don't think there's that many better options. Always liked him.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:59 am

danyjr wrote:The fact that he is after Herrera says a lot about his mentality tbh.

As soon as summer starts there is likely to be some or the other annoying report. Nothing against Herrera. He is developing as a defensive midfielder at ManUtd. He has said that his earlier idols were Xavi and Iniesta but now he is trying to learn from Busquets. My best wishes for that but let him be where he is. Good for him and good for us. We need a creative midfielder and a top quality one at that. This sounds eerily like Moyes trying to buy Fellaini.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:56 pm

What's everyone verdict on Valverde, and your opinions on his tactics so far. I may be wrong, but this is what I saw yesterday

-------TerStegen----
-----Pique-Umtiti----
Semedo--Busq--Alba
---Rakitic---Iniesta--
---------Messi--------
-Dembele----Suarez

Messi has been played in a more false 9 role this season, or even as a CAM in a 4-3-2-1 and so far he's been close to averaging a hat trick every single match. Also a big difference I have seen is Valverde has been tinkering with the line up every single match. Even if it's the same players in the same roles, they are positioned slightly different, and he has the team drop forward and back into different threads (they all fall back to a 4-1-4-1 to defend sometimes), which means he feels there is a perfect formation for the players we have but he hasn't quite found it yet, but it's getting there. What we have got is allot of clean sheets out of this, as the entire team is falling back and pressing more than they did last season (we have 12 goals for, 0 against since the 2 games against Madrid) and Messi has been in spectacular form playing down the middle. The only one struggling so far in his slight new player allignment so far is Suarez, but that's hard to tell if it's that or a number of other things like match fitness from returning form injury, or maybe he's simply starting to regress, or he's just in a current funk and will snap out of it soon. Also the build up play now comes from the midfield, which from Lucho it came from the full backs. And lastly, he has for the most part started the same group of guys every single match, with maybe 1 guy swapped out to rotate. HUGE difference from Lucho, who loved playing a brand new 11 every single match for the entire season unless it was a massive UCL or clasico match. Also Lucho loved playing guys out of position all the damn time, and so far Lucho has played a basic best 11 and everyone where they should go and not complicating shit for no reason.

So far I am enjoying this new set up. So many positives. Thoughts?
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:12 pm

Agree with absolutely everything you said. I also think that if Suarez comes back to his top form, Alba will get some more help on the left because right now hes covering the whole flank himself! I mean, hes kiling it and hes in amazing shape but I cant see him doing that all season long. He needs some help.

So far the team looks fantastic and everyone seems to be enjoying themselves which is the important part.

Im particularly happy with Semedo so far. Hes a beast!
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucifer Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:24 pm

As I have said earlier multiple times that even though this is very early to judge Valverde I like the direction he wants us to go. Following are the marked differences from Barca under Lucho and current Barca,
1. Most important of all we are comfortable on ball especially while building from back. Under Lucho we were pretty much disastrous and more often then not yielded to strong pressing and made fools of ourselves only to concede comic and embarrassing goals. The match against Celta still gives me nightmares.
2. We are patient in buildup and most of our attacks originate from midfield. The good ol practice of hoofing the ball to MSN and wait till they pull some brilliance is no longer followed.
3. We are pressing like pack of Hyenas. Anyone remember Messi chasing a guy entire pitch against Espanyol? I think that should sum it.
4. We are pleasant to watch again. Yes the famous off the ball movement and breath taking one touch passes that made us all fall in love with this beautiful club are back.
All in all when everyone one of us had given up and wasn't sure of the direction our club was going to Mr. Valverde has brought a very strong and pleasant ray of hope with him. Am looking forward to the next game hope we continue to develop.Fingers crossed.

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:59 am

He's certainly done much better than I expected him to.

We are likely to win La Liga which in itself is commendable for a Barca coach in his first season. We have a good chance of winning the cup. Maybe we are not quite there in terms of actually winning UCL but let's see how far we can go.

Maybe this is not the fantasy Barca that we have all loved for years but it's the right team at the right moment. I may not have appreciated all his signings but at least he knows how to use them. Better to buy a low profile player and use him properly than buy a high profile one and then be clueless what to do with him.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Demon of Carthage Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:16 am

I'm definitely not taking anything away from him. He surely has done enough to justify Barcelona's decision to appoint him. However, I do think Madrid has given him a helping hand to "rise above" everybody else in La Liga.

With that I mean, any half-decent coach would've given him a proper fight with the squad Madrid has and he certainly wouldn't be trailing him by 19 points.

Valverde has done well, but his achievement wouldn't look this impressive if Madrid was breathing down his neck, 1 or 2 points shy of catching him.

Barcelona is the deserving La Liga leader, but their lead has a lot to do with Madrid sucking than them being good.

In my opinion, Valverde's Barcelona true worth will be tested in the CL against PSG or City Roma because I don't think leading this dreadful Madrid side by 19 points is anything out of the ordinary.

Last edited by The Demon of Carthage on Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:28 pm

The Demon of Carthage wrote:

With that I mean, any half-decent coach would've given him a proper fight with the squad Madrid has and he certainly wouldn't be trailing him by 19 points.

Just one question. Is it possible for a coach to win back to back UCLs if he is not even half-decent?

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next