MJ
Great Leader Sprucenuce
RealGunner
El Gunner
Sri
37 posters

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by VendettaRed07 Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:26 pm

-------------------Morata--------------------

Welbeck-----------Ozil------------Sanchez

-----------Elneny-------Xhaka---------------

Nacho-----Kos-----Marquinhos----Bellerin

_____________Cech________________

hmm

VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by urbaNRoots Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:54 pm

Is Xhaka really the best we can get in midfield, especially for that price? He is not that impressive for BMG, especially defensively he's lazy and slow.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:57 pm

he will look like poor mans Charlie Adam in Wengers system and will be exposed imo
not even sure if Aw intends to use him as a Holder or with One!
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:58 pm

Thinking about if we're willing to pay £30mil plus for Xhaka there's no reason why we shouldn't be going all out to get Gundogan.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:24 pm

Yep, was just thinking that.

Even if Gündogan is out of our reach, surely there are better options. While Xhaka would improve on Coquelin's passing, I don't want to field poor mans Alex Song in our midfield especially paired with another CM. We still need that defensive grit but in combination with someone who takes charge of our midfield and doesn't leave the other CM isolated in attack.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:23 pm

Jeremy Wilson:Arsenal will listen to offers for Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Kieran Gibbs as British core comes under threat
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/04/12/arsenal-will-listen-to-offers-for-alex-oxlade-chamberlain-and-ki/

i would still rather keep both of them
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:02 am

I'd rather keep Gibbs & Ox too, but I do feel some sympathy for Gibbs ... when he's fit, he's shown he's good enough to start for Arsenal IMO. But Monreal is just that tiny bit better, and more reliable, and Gibbs is at an age where he doesn't want to play second fiddle. It's understandable.

And Ox has failed to develop as we'd all hoped. That doesn't mean he's a scrub, or that he might not bloom late into a terrific player. But you can see the reasoning in the argument that in order for him to realize his potential, he needs to play a lot, but he's not good enough & consistent enough to deserve that regularity in the Arsenal XI. A loan would probably do him well but I think he's just a bit too old for that to be likely. You never know.

I'd rather see the club try to offload Theo than either of these guys, as far as the British core goes, but with Theo's wages, it's less likely.
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:07 am

It wont be that easy selling Theo. Only an English club would buy him and the only club that I can think of that would pay his wages are Liverpool. All our eggs in one basket.
Sell Ox with a buy-back option to a second/third tier club.
Gibbs I would rather keep as rotation LB/LM as we have been using him for but at the end of the day Wenger isn't the type to hold players against their will. Although we can get a cool 10m for him which would be useful I would prefer to keep him only because we are also losing Debuchy. We dont want a complete overhaul.
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:18 am

If we can replace Gibbs with a good young left back that could replace Monreal in a couple of years that'd be good. By this point it doesn't look like Gibbs is going to be any better than he currently is.

At right back it sounds like Jenkinson is going to come back into the squad.

I'm all for getting a big fee for Ox. Yet another English talent who's mental development is lagging way behind everything else. Iwobi is a much better player for us at this stage and he's three years younger.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:31 am

I'd like Gibbs to stay, we won't find a better backup with the potential to become a starter. But I can understand if he wants to leave, he can do better than be a backup here.

As for Oxlade-Chamberlain, I still believe he can become a great player in the near future but I wouldn't be too upset if we sold him for a big-ish fee. He's behind Welbeck, Joel Campbell and Iwobi these days, maybe a change of club will help him aswell.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:55 am

Sad about the Ox. Not sure why he has stalled like that. Lack of brains? Attitude? Wenger's lukewarm managing?
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:17 am

He seems to work hard and in interviews a little too harsh to himself even when he is playing well so attitude does not seem a problem

Lack of brains? Maybe, I don't know how you measure that.

Wenger's managing? Almost certainly. Ever since he instilled this idea of Chamberlain being a CM he has changed his game drastically. When Oxlade-Chamberlain first arrived here, he was this exciting young winger who would rip Man Utd's/AC Milan's defence a new one. He has a strong shot with good technique but he rarely shoots from outside the box (again Wenger's doing), he doesn't make runs off the ball EVER (Wenger again).

Maybe the problem is that he is too humble and listens too much to Wenger's ideas? Most of our attackers do what they want in attack (and what they do best). I really don't know but what I know that he is best suited when played on the wing and running at defenders but ever since he got the idea that he can be a centre midfielder he's become a little too careful.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:14 pm

Arsenal scouting 18-year-old midfielder Rodrigo Bentancur, interest in whom is high.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/story/2847707/arsenal-eye-boca-juniors-teenager-rodrigo-bentancur-sources
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:39 pm

Largely, Ox's problem is that he doesn't have a role. He's not a 10, or a winger, or a central midfielder; he ends up in all these roles but ultimately never settles in one. So what we have is a player who can run with the ball, pass, shoot, cross, has great pace and balance, but with no idea about how those talents should be used.

And it's interesting to note that Wenger says Ox can be a CM but never plays him there unless we have injuries. Whereas for Wilshere and Ramsey he'll happily change the formation and balance of the team so they can play CM. It's possible that Wenger has just not made his mind up about where Ox should be playing in his team.

Throw in injury problems and you can see why Ox's development has stalled. He can still be a great player but he needs to be settled into a role so he tailor his game, and it's likely that won't happen at Arsenal with Iwobi's break through.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:37 pm

While Joel Campbell's name is being thrown around, (albeit in passing to refer to how far Ox has fallen behind in the pecking order) what's a brother gotta do to get some playing time? Iwobi has been fantastic and deserving of his opportunities but there have been plenty of times (namely when Ramsey and Theo came on vs West Ham) when Campbell was left rotting on the bench?

If we're not going to pick a player even when he offers great service going forward every time he's playing then we should look to offload him as well. Annoying to see talent wasted.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:47 pm

We need to keep Gibbs. Won't find a better cover. At least for another year till we can find a better LB than Monreal.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:48 pm

Not really happy with Jenkinson as Bellerin's cover. Bellerin will get a 4-5 months injury soon with the way we are burning him out.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by silver Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:07 am

MJ wrote:While Joel Campbell's name is being thrown around, (albeit in passing to refer to how far Ox has fallen behind in the pecking order) what's a brother gotta do to get some playing time? Iwobi has been fantastic and deserving of his opportunities but there have been plenty of times (namely when Ramsey and Theo came on vs West Ham) when Campbell was left rotting on the bench?

If we're not going to pick a player even when he offers great service going forward every time he's playing then we should look to offload him as well. Annoying to see talent wasted.

He wasn't even on the bench against West Ham. That's how lowly Wenger rates him. Needs to leave for his own good.
silver
silver
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:41 pm

I've a feeling this summer is going to be the most stressful one yet, when you consider the number of players Arsenal could need to sign. Our squad right now:

Cech, Ospina, Szczesny

Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gabriel, Chambers, Bellerin, Debuchy, Jenkinson, Monreal, Gibbs

Elneny, Coquelin, Cazorla, Wilshere, Ramsey, Arteta, Flamini, Rosicky, Ozil, Iwobi, Chamberlain, Campbell

Walcott, Alexis, Giroud, Welbeck

The struck-out players are definitely leaving since their contracts are up and there's no news about them being offered extensions. Elneny replaces one of them, but we'll need two more.

The bolded players either need to be sold or could be sold due to circumstances. We're looking at a new right back, potentially a new left back, and a new forward.

The players in italics are weird cases. Wilshere I don't think we need to sell, but should maybe replace anyway because we can't rely on him to stay fit. Chamberlain is one we've discussed.

So at a minimum we're looking at needing four or five new signings. Then you have to think about replacing Ox if we decided to sell him, and improving upon our centre backs and forward options. The squad could need anywhere between 4-8 new players depending on how things go.

Call me cynical, but it's difficult to see Wenger signing more than two, let alone eight.

Then throw in City, United and Chelsea having new managers and the money that's going to fly around, as several teams chase after the same pool of players.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:17 pm

If we're looking at it realistically, we can expect 1 to 2 additions at best.

Rosicky, Flamini and Arteta will likely be released. Elneny takes Flamini's spot, we'll probably sign a new player to take Arteta's place and Rosicky will be replaced by Iwobi.

Ospina will probably want to leave whether Szczesny will return or not. I expect both to be sold because neither will be happy to be nr. 2 at Arsenal. This is where I expect our 2nd signing. I expect a new young GK or maybe Martinez gets the spot, depending on his pre-season.

Debuchy will be sold as the flop he is, Jenkinson will be our 2nd RB. The Gibbs situation is tricky, unless he forces a move he stays as he should.

None of our attackers will be sold because we won't sign anyone there. Same with our CB's.

For the lazy: Ospina/Szczesny, Debuchy, Arteta, Flamini, Rosicky will be replaced by New GK/Martinez, Jenkinson, New DLP, Elneny, Iwobi.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:42 pm

Next season's blueprint, sez my crystal ball:

1. Surprise mega-signing of Leroy Sane in early June. It's partly funded by selling Walcott to Liverpool for like half his value.
2. Nothing for months.
3. Sane has horrific injury where his kneecaps explode.
4. After losing 11-0 to Pep's Man City just before deadline day, we have a mad dash in the market and pick up Andy Carroll, Keisuke Honda (loan), Danny Simpson, and a teenager from Tadjikistan.
5. Walcott has a 25-goal season.
6. Somehow finish 3rd/4th on the strength of a remarkable run in the last ten matches, after losing 0-4 to Everton at home where all four goals came from horrendous schoolboy mistakes by Koscielny of all people.
7. Wilshere manages just two substitute appearances all 2016-2017, both in the 87th minute, in March, before picking up another long-term injury.
8. Profit.
9. SUPERCARTTS comes on GL again to say, "See, I told you so."

Likely players vying for, essentially, two slots in deeper midfield: Cazorla, Coquelin, Elneny, Ramsey, Wilshere (that's five), plus possibly Ox and any youngsters who might break through.

Let me be clear. I do want to see a serious midfield signing. I think a Xhaka or Krychowiak or whatever would be a good target. Maybe that would mean someone else would get shipped off. But barring significant transfers out, I honestly think we already have a stronger CM arsenal (derp) than usual, as is, going into next season.
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by silver Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:04 am

Jay29 wrote:I've a feeling this summer is going to be the most stressful one yet, when you consider the number of players Arsenal could need to sign.

You say that like it's not the same every year.

GK: First choice Cech. Does it really matter who our second choice is...

Defense. Don't see why Jenkinson can't be our reserve RB. Not that I've watched him recently but he can't have declined that bad? Gibbs, unless he forces a move, don't know why we would sell just to find another LB. Gabriel needs to improve but it's not like there is a goldmine of great CB's out there.

Midfield: Cazorla, Wilshere back. Elnery has already shown he can contribute which means we're already better off than having Arteta and Flamini there. Still need another DM since no-one can replace Coquelin.

Attack: Walcott needs to go. Iwobi will hopefully not do a Gnarby. Campbell should go for his own good because it's clear Wenger doesn't rate him. Ox is questionable. Might as well keep him.

The very essential signings that we really need is another DM and another attacker to compliment Sanchez on the wings.
silver
silver
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:51 am

"Wilshere back" is about as reliable as "Diaby back" now. All it takes is someone treading on his ankle for him to be about the whole of the season. I really don't see how he can be considered as part of the team's depth; he's a luxury player now, and a hole in the squad that needs to be filled unless he can prove his fitness for a season.

If we're looking at essential signings then winger wouldn't be one of them. Iwobi and Alexis should be first choice next season, with Campbell backing up one flank, Chamberlain the other if he stays, plus Ramsey and Welbeck for additional depth. It's only Walcott that needs replacing.

The more important area is the spine of the team: centre back, midfield and up front. Arsenal won't win anything if they go into next season with the exact same options in those areas of the pitch.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by silver Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:48 am

Who's a CB that's out there, that's available that is better than the options we have?
silver
silver
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:55 am

like every year, we have the number just not the quality which put us in akward position. Will Wengers trust out 4 CB or go out for one more and will that one be back up or starter, he did give Kozz 1 year to settle so not sure what he will do with Gabriel. I think he definitely will go for 1 more midfield, mostly versatile one like all the names linked recently. That left 1 attacker & this could be our star signing this year, at least I hope so.

Theo wont got anywhere though, if there is one to go, I wouldnt be surprised if it's Giroud or Joel

so 3 essential signings at best and i'm being hopeful about it.
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:57 am

Let's not pretend there aren't any better centre backs than Gabriel or Chambers out there. The "lack of options" excuse doesn't really work for a team with the money and scouting range that Arsenal has. I used the same excuse last summer, but then we went and signed Elneny - there is always a player like that out there, one nobody's heard of, on top the usual established choices.

And depending on who you're buying from, anyone is available if you're willing to spend enough.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next