RealGunner
Sri
Jay29
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Arsenal 2 - 0 Hull Empty Arsenal 2 - 0 Hull

Post by Jay29 Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:48 pm

A comfortable night's work with a scoreline that didn't quite reflect the number of quality chances Arsenal created throughout the match. The front three of Alexis, Walcott and Campbell backed up by Rosicky and Cazorla promised much pace and directness and several times during the first half we got teasing glimpses of what line-up could do. Arsenal should have been out of sight in that first half but a combination of rustiness and maybe a lack of confidence kept the scoreline down to just 1-0.

The second half saw Hull have more of the ball but do very little with it. Arsenal didn't apply as much pressure on Hull but weren't troubled at all at the back while we looked threatening whenever we got the ball into forward areas. Without being as dominant as were in the first half, we still made good chances and still should have put the game to bed long before Alexis' goal.

But hey, can't complain with a routine 2-0 win and progression into the next round. There'll be no ranting from me tonight.

The good signs are that Walcott looks as quick as ever and that his movement was fantastic. Whenever Arsenal pulled Hull's defenders out of position, Walcott was always on the front foot and making runs into the gaps. Where he was lacking today was in his first touch and finishing but that'll improve the more he plays. The 75 minutes will do him a lot of good and hopefully we'll see him play a part against Stoke on Saturday.

Campbell had a mixed game. He had a good work ethic and was comfortable on the ball, but he missed two good chances and generally looked to be playing a bit within himself. Whether that's an indication of his actual quality or whether his confidence isn't quite there because of lack of games I'm not sure. He'll certainly have to play better, though, if he wants Wenger to play him more.

Coquelin also had a mixed game. Rightly praised for the decent performances he's been putting in recently, but today I saw why he was loaned out to begin with. He's clearly a player who loves to tackle and most of his tackles are successful, but he has a tendency to go to ground too often and twice today he made terrible tackles that could have seen sent off - I thought he was extremely fortunate not to get a red card for that two-footed lunge at the end of the game. His distribution of the ball was also inconsistent. It may be harsh of me to say, but he's looking like a more athletic version of Flamini.

The only disappointment of tonight was Chuba Akpom not getting a lot of time on the pitch - again. With the game at 2-0, it would have been the perfect opportunity to take Alexis off and give Akpom a good run out, but for whatever reason Wenger is determined to keep Alexis on the pitch for as long as he can get away with. We're going to have to give Akpom more than just poverty minutes if we want to convince him his future is in good hands at Arsenal.

The fourth round draw is tomorrow evening. We'll probably get Chelsea or Stoke away.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Arsenal 2 - 0 Hull Empty Re: Arsenal 2 - 0 Hull

Post by Sri Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:08 pm

Good sum up Jay, as ever.

Couple of points. MJ has mentioned a couple of times that Coquelin looks a better Flamini than Flamini - I agree completely with that assessment. I also want to mention those lofted balls he tried, a couple very nearly came off too! It reminded me of those balls Song used to attempt to feed van Persie.

Also, Akpom came on almost immediately after Alexis scored. I am sure he'd have been brought on earlier if we had managed to put the game to bed - which we left till the 82'. He'd also have had more minutes if we had a longer League Cup run.

However, with the number of options we do have right now, and given that Sanogo and Welbeck are also young, and Alexis playing an almost perfect game as a CF today, his opportunities will be limited even otherwise. It's hard not to draw parallels with the hordes of midfield youth we have let go recently because of how stacked the youth and reserve teams are, when people are not injured or suspended.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:13 pm

Was a decent result. Performance was mixed. Bit worrying in the 2nd half tbh but we got through.

Agreed with the player analysis. Joel was playing like like a man who knows his next appearance is going to be in few months unless we get a shit team at home in the 4th round of FA Cup. He rushed his passes and was over eager to shoot. Can't blame him.

Also wanted to see more of Akpom. Zelalem too.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:58 pm

Hull never threatend really.
Easy win. Let's hope for a favourable draw.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:58 pm

hmm i say give ospina a chance
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:01 pm

Saw a tweet that said there was a fallout in the dressing room after the Soton game, Woj apparently fined and won't play again this season. Of course, don't know how legit that is.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:06 pm

John Jenson on Danish TV said that apparently

sounds a lot of shit. Szczesny makes errors but he is still a great keeper.

Let's see
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:09 pm

Yeah, I still rate him as well.
As it has always been said, if he can just cut down on his poor errors and stupid occasional decisions then he'll be fine as our number one.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:24 pm

wonder for how many more years we have to keep saying that!!
this is his 5th season in first team
personally i want him replaced
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:29 pm

It looks like he wants to get benched each season, before he comes back with cheat codes on.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:31 pm

lmao
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:00 pm

Imagine actually believing that kind of crap.

Szczesny was the best GK in the league last season and now apparently he's shit and needs to be replaced. K den.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:06 pm

He was definitely not the best GK in the league urbs.. He won the Glove, yes - but that is also a result of a really well oiled backline and a midfield which did its job protecting that backline for a vast majority of last season. He has come a long way since the League Cup final against Birmingham, but it's too far a stretch to call him the best in the league individually.

Fact remains that he has his share of bad games and poor decisions, which he shouldn't be doing after years of top flight now! He makes wonderful saves, good performances which save our arses, but he does have flaws too. It isn't easy to get somebody better, and I am quite content with Ospina providing him the competition. Szcz seems to perform only when there is someone breathing down his neck. :/

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:11 pm

I for one firmly believe Danish TV is the best source of information for sensitive insider scoops straight from the Arsenal dressing room
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:20 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:I for one firmly believe Danish TV is the best source of information for sensitive insider scoops straight from the Arsenal dressing room

Arsenal 2 - 0 Hull 53532811

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:24 pm

The problems with Szczesny's game are the same that Fabianski and Almunia had, which probably isn't a coincidence. All three have issues with decision making; when they should come off their line to sweep, and when they should come out to collect high balls into the box. Also distribution, particularly kicking.

One bad game, though, isn't enough reason to consign Szczesny to the bench forever. I was furious after he cost us the points against Southampton but that's not the norm. This season and last season he's saved us many more points than he's lost us.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:27 pm

Do the decision making problems also go down to the youth/reserve levels? Maybe we need some fresh ideas in GK coaching? Any idea where Jens Lehmann is now? hmm

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:30 pm

You don't want Jens Lehmann anywhere near your kids.
He's a firm believer in 'disciplining' children, presumably with belt spankings and slaps in the face.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:31 pm

Good win, Hull didn't offer much. I wish we had score more we could see the youngsters play more, but a clean sheet Stygian a team who came to lose is a good result. Wink

I think you guys being harsh on Szczesny, he is still our #1 and would not bench him but I would let him know he must step up his game and be more aware.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:34 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:You don't want Jens Lehmann anywhere near your kids.
He's a firm believer in 'disciplining' children, presumably with belt spankings and slaps in the face.

That's a part of the reason why I asked where he was Razz Tough love is probably what is going to get these guys to stop making the same mistakes over a decade.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:36 pm

srigooner wrote:
Hapless_Hans wrote:You don't want Jens Lehmann anywhere near your kids.

That's a part of the reason why I asked where he was Razz Tough love is probably what is going to get these guys to stop making the same mistakes over a decade.

There is no way Wenger would allow anyone hurt his kids. tongue
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:38 pm

Was today the first time we scored from a corner? I think we had over 100 corners and finally we scored. drinking
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:40 pm

Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:41 pm

Thumbs up rofl rofl rofl
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:22 am

Raptorgunner wrote:Was today the first time we scored from a corner? I think we had over 100 corners and finally we scored. drinking
Avoidable goal really. That was Harper's ball all day long.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next