Forza
Onyx
78 posters

Page 16 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down

World Cup: Group B discussion - Page 16 Empty Re: World Cup: Group B discussion

Post by Ganso Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:33 pm

Art Morte wrote:
Ganso wrote:I got to admit I'm scared of our R16 opponent.Chile and Netherlands have been amazing.I have no idea who I am going to be cheering for next week.I think I'm going for Chile,they can trouble us with their pressing and 3 man backline + dat support.The dutch are looking like a 2 men team (2 very good men that is lol)

Holland were nothing impressive when they came up with a side with a work rate. And you've got the defense to stop their forwards. If I were Brazil, I'd rather face Holland, I think, although it's a bit 50-50.
Yeah, i think Holland is the ideal opposition because our main weakness is fullbacks, and the dutch play with no wingers and pretty narrow.I just hope Thiago,Gustavo and Luiz deal with RVP,Robben and Sneijder.What a game this could be.

Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:36 pm

you're acting as if the dutch wouldn't be able to change their formation for brazil .

robben vs marcelo could be brutal.
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:39 pm

farfan wrote:you're acting as if the dutch wouldn't be able to change their formation for brazil .

They should've changed their formation against Australia. Going with 3 CBs and defensive wing-backs against the Aussies? Ugh. They were better when Indi's injury forced an attack-minded substitution.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:55 pm

Ganso wrote:
Art Morte wrote:
Ganso wrote:I got to admit I'm scared of our R16 opponent.Chile and Netherlands have been amazing.I have no idea who I am going to be cheering for next week.I think I'm going for Chile,they can trouble us with their pressing and 3 man backline + dat support.The dutch are looking like a 2 men team (2 very good men that is lol)

Holland were nothing impressive when they came up with a side with a work rate. And you've got the defense to stop their forwards. If I were Brazil, I'd rather face Holland, I think, although it's a bit 50-50.
Yeah, i think Holland is the ideal opposition because our main weakness is fullbacks, and the dutch play with no wingers and pretty narrow.I just hope Thiago,Gustavo and Luiz deal with RVP,Robben and Sneijder.What a game this could be.

Anyone judging Holland on the basis of their game against Australia might be in for a rude shock. They weren't awesome, agreed. But I think they were casual and complacent. They will be more composed and hungry in R16.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:09 pm

Art Morte wrote:
farfan wrote:you're acting as if the dutch wouldn't be able to change their formation for brazil .

They should've changed their formation against Australia. Going with 3 CBs and defensive wing-backs against the Aussies? Ugh. They were better when Indi's injury forced an attack-minded substitution.

But Australia is not Brazil by any means Razz

Jokes apart, I think the formation will still be the same. Not sure Van Gaal will have enough faith to go with two centre backs to counter the threat posed by Neymar and co. But the philosophy might be different. Blind and Janmaat might play more as a full back and probably will stay back more often with Indi going forward to disrupt their midfield.

Lol all that if we are to play Brazil. Its NOT YET decided. LvG will have some plans for Chile before that and if he fails there only all those above mentioned will come into picture  Neutral 

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:59 pm

Just read that they turned into a 4-3-3 today at the second half vs australia, didn't know that.

still, I don't see LVG getting rid of a CB vs us.
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:03 am

Lumiere_Blanche wrote:
Art Morte wrote:

But Australia is not Brazil by any means Razz

Jokes apart, I think the formation will still be the same. Not sure Van Gaal will have enough faith to go with two centre backs to counter the threat posed by Neymar and co. But the philosophy might be different. Blind and Janmaat might play more as a full back and probably will stay back more often with Indi going forward to disrupt their midfield.

Lol all that if we are to play Brazil. Its NOT YET decided. LvG will have some plans for Chile before that and if he fails there only all those above mentioned will come into picture  Neutral 
perhaps, but as we said before, Chile are favorites.specially since you lot will be without RVP.I think RVP was a bit foolish getting that yellow card, Holland should give it all trying to finish top because our potential confrontation in R16 could be a brutally tough game.
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:10 am

Brazil drop out either way. Doesn't matter.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:17 am

The hunter to kill Chile hmm
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:18 am

Holland passed the test..... being the underdog and winning is one thing but being the favourite and going up against a team who will defend a lot more aggressively and with numbers its another entirely.

They passed the test albeit barely, i'm still unsure about them going forward into the tournament but if Robben and Van Persie keep playing as they are they are a major threat.

Respect to Australia, they showed balls again and Cahill's goal was amazing.... should have scored at 2-2 and maybe it would have been different.

Chile didn't surprise me at all, they always give Spain problems with the likes of Vargas and Sanchez able to stretch the game, Isla and the other "fullback" stretching the pitch and Vidal in the middle just kicking everyones ass Laughing

on Sanchez though, if Barca sell him they are f*cking stupid and will regret it....

Spain look mentally old, like a boxer who had been through too many fights.... they need to rejuvenate and perhaps it should have happened before this tournament.

2016 will be interesting to see how they react to this.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:10 am

I'm immensely proud of our team even though we are now out of the World Cup. This team is mostly a bunch of kids who have never played with each other before and it will be excellent to see them hopefully win the Asian Cup on home soil next year.

More importantly, the foundation has been laid for the next World Cup in Russia. Today, our backline had less than 30 apps between them and our best RB (Franjic) was out injured, leaving the more inexperienced McGowan to face the Netherlands' most threatening player in that game - Memphis Depay.

Van Gaal's change in formation (which I believe was intended, and would've happened regardless of BMI's injury) from 5-3-2 to 4-3-3 was tactically astute. Although, starting with a 5-3-2 against Australia clearly showed how he had underestimated the team.

This game showed what a difference real quality in the final third can make - Robben and van Persie are guys who instinctively know where the back of the net is - some of our younger players have yet to learn that. Cahill was excellent and IMO has scored the goal of the tournament, thus far. Leckie (ex-Adelaide United) has developed very well since leaving Australia for Germany.

Lastly, the defences for both teams were substandard and I will be surprised to see the Dutch defeat more disciplined sides with disciplined, experienced defensive units. For Australia, I'd like to see us take some points of Spain in the dead rubber - we don't deserve to finish last in this group. Also, well done to Chile.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:12 am

Can you imagine how butthurt brazil would be if Chile beat them in R16 on their turf
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:04 am

It was painfully obvious that the Netherlands weren't trying for most of the match. On top of that both of Australia's goals were kind of lucky. As soon as they started putting forth effort they took over.

The Netherlands are the better side over Chile, but anything can happen. Missing RVP is not a big deal IMO as Huntelaar is very good for the national team.

Regardless I think both Holland and Chile beat Brazil in the round of 16.
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:13 am

El Cujo wrote:It was painfully obvious that the Netherlands weren't trying for most of the match. On top of that both of Australia's goals were kind of lucky. As soon as they started putting forth effort they took over.

This is absolutely ludicrous.  rofl 

Honestly, I mean no disrespect, but this is the stupidest thing I've read in some time. :facepalm:

To suggest that a team would deliberately "not try" in a World Cup is unfair to the Dutch and unfair to Australia. I saw absolutely no evidence of that. Credit should be given where credit is due.

The change in control of the match occurred due to the Dutch switch from 5-3-2 to 4-3-3 in the second half and Australia's failure to take great chances, whereas the Dutch were clinical.

Furthermore, to discredit Tim Cahill as 'lucky' after scoring a goal which took absolutely superb skill and technique is an extremely disappointing attitude. If it had been CR7 or Suarez or Messi, you wouldn't have said anything.

I really hope you get a chance to re-watch the game and re-evaluate your above "analysis".
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:27 am

I actually didn't read one true statement in the entire post. Literally.
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Madvillain Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:44 am

Don't agree with our team not trying the first half, the formation just wasn't good to deal with Australia's game plan. However, that penalty was harsh and I don't agree with us just being clinical. The Netherlands were clearly the better side in the second half and we weren't even all that clinical as you say Forza. We wasted a bunch of opportunities; could've ended worse for you guys.

Anyways, props to Australia for their grit and allround great mentality. Very well done.
Madvillain
Madvillain
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Barcelona

http://thvnderbvrst.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:29 am

I still thought Spain could beat Chile and qualify.... but Chile stepped up their gmae and Spain just continued their strange dip. Their midfield and defense look to out of sorts, just being bypassed so easily. Their attack so blunt, Costa didnt do much tbh. Nor did the other attackers but thats not too much of a surprise. Im just puzzled how Villa did nto feature at all. Instead Torres continually used. Xavi did not feature too was wtf....

Im afraid everythign just went wrong. Del Bosque too got things wrong....

Pique proved that hes long past his best....rightly dropped...but strange thing is players like Busquets and Alonso too looked so poor....

Must be just other teams figuring out Spain, the loss of that hunger and edge as time passes, combination with everything else....

So one of the best teams in history crash out in record 2 group games Razz
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:31 am

Australia for me should be proud of themselves. They performed very well overall and lost to 2 very good teams narrowly. Netherlands I think were a bit sloppy and underestimated them a bit. Then the Cahill goal and penalty, but still overall I think Australia again surpasses everyone's expectations of them!
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:38 am

Forza wrote:I'm immensely proud of our team even though we are now out of the World Cup. This team is mostly a bunch of kids who have never played with each other before and it will be excellent to see them hopefully win the Asian Cup on home soil next year.

More importantly, the foundation has been laid for the next World Cup in Russia. Today, our backline had less than 30 apps between them and our best RB (Franjic) was out injured, leaving the more inexperienced McGowan to face the Netherlands' most threatening player in that game - Memphis Depay.

Van Gaal's change in formation (which I believe was intended, and would've happened regardless of BMI's injury) from 5-3-2 to 4-3-3 was tactically astute. Although, starting with a 5-3-2 against Australia clearly showed how he had underestimated the team.

This game showed what a difference real quality in the final third can make - Robben and van Persie are guys who instinctively know where the back of the net is - some of our younger players have yet to learn that. Cahill was excellent and IMO has scored the goal of the tournament, thus far. Leckie (ex-Adelaide United) has developed very well since leaving Australia for Germany.

Lastly, the defences for both teams were substandard and I will be surprised to see the Dutch defeat more disciplined sides with disciplined, experienced defensive units. For Australia, I'd like to see us take some points of Spain in the dead rubber - we don't deserve to finish last in this group. Also, well done to Chile.

Agree a lot with u there. Aussies should be proud of themselves Smile

Netherlands is still a bit hard to judge since these 2 games one completely shell shocked Spain then beating an expected weaker side. But their midfield looks very average and defense too. VP and Robben is amazing and each with 3 goals. Not 100% if Im right but they will likely top the group and go on to play Mexico/Croatia and then probably Italy? Not the hardest path indeed.
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:49 am

Ganso wrote:perhaps, but as we said before, Chile are favorites.specially since you lot will be without RVP.I think RVP was a bit foolish getting that yellow card, Holland should  give it all trying to finish top because our potential confrontation in R16 could be a brutally tough game.

yea but a draw will be enough and I think that can very much be achieved as the Dutch are so goal friendly right now. Very Happy So even if Chile scores a couple, which is very likely to happen btw lol.. this team has in them to match it. RvP absence yea it might prove a problem. But then again there is hunter who always performs well for NT Smile will be a great match nonetheless.

Last edited by Lumiere_Blanche on Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:24 am

Well, I bet the Hunter will score some to prove to LVG that he should play more.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:38 am

rwo power wrote:Meh. The Dutch in blue look so un-Dutch. I want them in their proper oranje!

I was confused during the first at least 10 min untill my brain kicked in gear... my thoughts excatly!
But what a exciting game and I so wished for Australia to win because the have put up such a great fight in the two games... very sad for them... and what a great shot by Cahill... just loved it.
Zizou
Zizou
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:37 pm

World Cup: Group B discussion - Page 16 10444680_545293808908698_8395584657757799999_n

DAT Moyes Proud :bow:
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:46 pm

Laughing rofl
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:14 pm

Robespierre wrote:World Cup: Group B discussion - Page 16 10444680_545293808908698_8395584657757799999_n

DAT Moyes Proud :bow:

ohh my! :facepalm:
Is this guy still allowed to do stuff like this ?  :brickwall: why cant you subsist low key for at least an year you clueless clown.

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by neuro11 Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:17 pm

the guy has fumbled both on and off the pitch  eco smile 

neuro11
First Team
First Team