djfawnz
ExtremistEnigma
Kamikaze692
LeBéninois
Knutsford123
46 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Should Spurs call time on AVB? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should Spurs call time on AVB?

Post by Firenze Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:17 am

CBarca wrote:Hernandez is a box predator too, he's just worse at it than Soldado.
CBarca wrote:  Whhhaaaaa?
Also, on Soccer Saturday, I remember them discussing Pendado's move to Spurs and showing a highlights package consisting of him pulling off volleys, bicycle kicks etc and other insane goals. I don't watch Spanish teams outside of Barca/Madrid, so I bought into the hype  Should Spurs call time on AVB? - Page 2 GIWYvdr

Anyways, as for AVB, ridiculous..mainly because I don't see them getting another manager of his calibre

Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Should Spurs call time on AVB? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should Spurs call time on AVB?

Post by Guest Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:35 am

AVB summed up perfectly is from a news article when he was at Chelsea.

He wanted players to stop being late so he made up some new ridiculous rule about fines and whatnot. Frank Lampard drove up to cobham, late as a mutha, and waved to a seething AVB looking through the door before strolling in.

He's a small man, and the players know it.

It must be said Lamela and Eriksen are not as good as people thought they were too though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:11 am

Yeah, I don't buy that last part at all.
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by terrance511 Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:17 am

not making any sense if sack him now.

give him till the end of the season.

expect him to done slightly better on second haf of the season, end up no.5

spurs fan + manegement, self comforting 'ahh, a new team, he's actually not bad, next season wil be a go'

kept him, dejavu

dat feel.
terrance511
terrance511
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:27 am

Betty La Fea wrote:AVB summed up perfectly is from a news article when he was at Chelsea.

He wanted players to stop being late so he made up some new ridiculous rule about fines and whatnot. Frank Lampard drove up to cobham, late as a mutha, and waved to a seething AVB looking through the door before strolling in.

It must be said Lamela and Eriksen are not as good as people thought they were too though.
Apparently groups of players would meet a few blocks away 10mins before training started and all arrive right on time together too Laughing
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:40 am

Betty La Fea wrote:AVB summed up perfectly is from a news article when he was at Chelsea.

lmao
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:19 pm

Laughing if thats true.
I think the league has become so intense and anything could happen. I wouldnt sack AVB even if he finishes outside top4, a 5th or 6th position when this type of competition is going on, is not bad at all. We have to consider that Arsenal, 2 ManCity boys and Chelsea...they themselves have a squad which is surely legit to make top 4. I am not even counting Liverpool who are sitting 2nd in the table right now.

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:43 pm

jibers wrote:They created multiple chances today. Krul had the best game I have seen a GK have in the last 3 years! The problem is the buys. AVB needs a striker that can get involved in the build up or that is not as limited as Soldado.

They can't have it both ways. Teams are sitting back against them so Soldado can't really play against the last defender and has to drop deep and he is pretty average. Either Spurs have to shift the ball a lot faster to him or get a more rounded striker, but who is out there available for them? Option 1 is his only choice
Calma.....

Most of their "chances" were pot shots that went straight down Krul's throat.... the only 2 examples were the deflected free kick which Mbiwa some how cleared and the Soldado flicked on header.

Honestly feel his performance is being overrated its more to do with poor finishing from Spurs they remind me of Liverpool under Dalglish.

Slow and predictable build up combined with negative tactics i.e. they don't get the numbers forward.... if thet was Man Utd or Arsenal against us they would have bombarded the box with 5 or 6 players but Spurs never got more than a couple in and around the box.

This is an AVB problem.... if you don't get bodies forward or move the ball quick enough you are not going to create and score.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:53 pm

Spurs aren't meant to be title contenders, which is how they're being viewed as when saying 'AVB should be sacked'. As long as they finish 4th/5th, then that's fine. They're one point behind 4th currently.

Only reason AVB would get sacked is if Spurs are in the relegation zone or something.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Kamikaze692 Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:00 pm

Yohan Modric wrote:Spurs aren't meant to be title contenders, which is how they're being viewed as when saying 'AVB should be sacked'. As long as they finish 4th/5th, then that's fine. They're one point behind 4th currently.

Only reason AVB would get sacked is if Spurs are in the relegation zone or something.
Last year, Spurs finished fifth. Then in the summer, they spent 100 mil on players. So if you're telling me they should be happy with a 6-7 place finish, i say bollocks.

No point in sacking him now, but if at the end of match day 38, Spuds are somehow not in the UCL places, then i'd feel no sympathies towards him if he were sacked. :coffee:
Kamikaze692
Kamikaze692
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:04 am

I think what bothers me the most is that I've seen in spurts what I believe AVB is trying to accomplish with the inverted wingers and when it works it looks quite nice. However, I'm not sure it's capable to re-create that style for the full 90 because it has to be physically taxing on our players. So regardless, we would need to have a better plan B than the slow build up play which seems to be our base tactic.

Mole correctly ascertained that ultimately it still comes down to what we saw in the second half against Newcastle, which is that we really only created 2 quality chances, and while one of them the header by Soldado was creative and exquisite in it's quality, our generally shit finishing got in the way of the one clear chance we had with Kaboul.

Regardless, this team has more than enough talent to effectively compete for the title this year, and if we do not come away from this season without a trophy and at least a top 4 finish I would be extremely disappointed and could understand why AVB would be sacked. Who wouldn't want to manage a team with so much talent at their disposal? That fact will ultimately be the thing that does AVB in if he doesn't find a way to open things up.
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:02 pm

For every Jose Mourinho, there's a Villas-Boas :coffee:

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:44 pm

My god, they got raped.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:45 pm

spurs were so bad, felt pity for them...dont know what AVB wants his team to do

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:49 pm

Can we please stop throwing around the r-word like that???

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by chad4401 Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:06 pm

Damn spurs got destroyed what is avb doing with the team!!!

Pelle Proud
chad4401
chad4401
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:12 pm

Yeah, said it in chat, but another performance like this and there is no way AVB makes it to the end of the season. Levy is to cold blooded to let this continue till the end of the season.

At this point I'm not sure I'd be sad about the decision, because AVB seems to be regressing as a manager.

There should be a gif of what AVB looked like at the end of the match, he was genuinely devastated as if he just received the news that a loved one had died.
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:35 pm

avb really does look out of depth, with the team he has he should be doing much much better. i think i definitely overrated him.

who would replace him is the question though.

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:46 pm

I think that is the issue that might end up saving him till the end of the season. Who is really available?

I say if we aren't going to win anything or get in the top 4, screw it, lets bring the football sex to North London.

Molenation
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:54 pm

I'd love to see Villy Bs press conferences after this game rofl
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:56 pm

Who would replace him though? Martin Jol to come back rofl
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:02 pm

Urban, are you screwing with me, are you not familiar with the "football sex"?
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:36 pm

Think people are overreacting.

Its one game against the team who thrash everyone at home Laughing

Spurs do have problems but its nothing which can't be repaired and i keep saying this but there is 4 points between Spurs in 9th and Liverpool in 2nd.

This can all change for the positive very very quickly.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:46 pm

Mole the voice of reason, I'll be in my bomb shelter waiting for the end times.

Molenation
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:01 am

Michael Cox wrote:André Villas-Boas cannot be blamed for Manchester City's opener, scored by Jesús Navas after 13 seconds following a poor Hugo Lloris clearance, but from then on Tottenham were astonishingly open, constantly leaving their centre-backs exposed and raising serious questions about their approach.

Spurs' first intention should have been to protect their centre-backs – Michael Dawson consistently looks uncomfortable in a high line while Younès Kaboul was making his first league start for 15 months. They were up against the league's in-form strike partnership, Sergio Agüero and Alvaro Negredo.

Although City essentially played a 4-4-2 formation in possession, Negredo dropped back to support the battle against Tottenham's three central midfielders. That left Agüero up front, able to use his pace in behind the Spurs defence. Negredo would sprint forward to join him and his deeper position was taken up by Samir Nasri who drifted inside from the left dangerously.

While Sandro played a defensive-minded role and attempted to protect the defence, he was exposed against midfield runners because Paulinho and Lewis Holtby were bypassed so easily. Sandro's superb last-ditch challenge on Nasri early on demonstrated his tackling ability, but he was forced into a succession of desperate challenges to stop quick counter-attacks. He endured a truly disastrous first period, which included an own goal and a vomiting incident, and he was also handicapped by a 20th-minute caution. After that he needed Paulinho to sit deep alongside him to share the defensive midfield duties as Spurs tried to ease their way back into the contest.

Should Spurs call time on AVB? - Page 2 Tactics-graphic-for-blog-001
Manchester City's front four sprung forward quickly, exposing Spurs' lack of defensive cover. Photograph: Guardian/Graphic

There were other problems for the centre-backs – Jan Vertonghen and Kyle Walker charged forward from full-back, but this forced Dawson and Kaboul to defend the width of the pitch when City counter-attacked quickly. Walker was helping Spurs make progress down the right, and his strengths lie in his attacking ability, but Vertonghen is a natural centre-back and Villas-Boas could have used him more cautiously, giving Spurs cover at the back.

Another problem was Spurs' centre-backs splitting in possession, with a midfielder dropping into defence. This makes sense when building passing moves against a two-man strikeforce, but it had disastrous consequences when Spurs were caught out in the transition between the two systems for City's second goal – Holtby, on paper Spurs' most attacking midfielder, briefly found himself in the middle of a back three and failed to track Agüero.

Amazingly, Spurs dominated possession. But City were entirely happy with this situation because it allowed them to draw Spurs up the pitch, before breaking powerfully. Whether it was Agüero sprinting in behind, Jesús Navas attacking down the right or Nasri and Yaya Touré storming through the centre, the space afforded to City was astonishing. Villas-Boas' decision to go 4-4-2 at half-time, with Emmanuel Adebayor replacing Holtby, opened up the game and exposed Sandro, Dawson and Kaboul even more.

Villas-Boas' coaching philosophy cannot be dismissed on the evidence of one match. But a touch of pragmatism and caution was required – this shouldn't have turned into such a humiliation.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/nov/24/andre-villas-boas-tottenham-defence-manchester-city
Scathing.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:21 am

I agree with much of what was written in that article, if your CBs are struggling the last thing you want to is remove some of the protection they're receiving from the midfield, especially when one of the CMs you leave there has already been booked.

Although i dont think AVB underestimated City his tactics do give that impression, theres no team in the PL with the quality to attack City like that at the Ethihad
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next