djfawnz
ExtremistEnigma
Kamikaze692
LeBéninois
Knutsford123
46 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Should Spurs call time on AVB? - Page 5 Empty Re: Should Spurs call time on AVB?

Post by DeletedUser#1 Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:33 pm

Mole has been riding AVB's d*ck for the longest time.

He even said AVB is more promising than Klopp back in 2011 Laughing

and who are we kidding. It's in Newcastle's best interest that AVB stays. more chance of Pardiola (a man Mole ironically thinks deserves the SACK Laughing )guiding Newcastle to European spots.

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Should Spurs call time on AVB? - Page 5 Empty Re: Should Spurs call time on AVB?

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:41 pm

Tbh nah not really i changed my mind about AVB a long time ago.... but i still think talking about sacking a man who has Spurs 4 points from 2nd is a bit ridiculous.

Not to mention you don't sanction a spending spree like that and then sack the man in November, absolute ridiculous to expect them all to gel and fire instantly.

Going to ignore the Klopp comment as you clearly made that up Laughing

As for Newcastle, there's not a chance in hell if us being anywhere near the European spots lol. Lucky run is all it is and we'll end up 9th or 10th.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:52 pm

Art Morte wrote:
Arsenalfaithfull wrote:But spurs sneaking into top 4 under Harry was as much to do with Chelsea and City not performing upto standards. Under AVB last year they had their highest  tally in points ever. They were 7 pts away from finishing 2nd.

Spurs as a team performed better than they had under any manager in the PL era.  
However, when you've got upwards of £100m to spend in one summer solely thanks to one key player departing and getting most of your transfer targets, too, you are expected to be doing better than their first third of the season.
That's just it though...the first third of the season.

Patience is the name of the game, especially with the spending spree Spurs had. How many teams buy as many players as Spurs did and instantly click?

I'm not going to say Spurs shouldn't be doing better...they probably should, nor am I going to say I'm not questioning AVB's material as a manager right now...I am.

But it's important to maintain the bigger picture. Patience is key. What is the worst thing to do to a very new and somewhat unsettled squad that needs confidence, consistency, and time to figure themselves out? Managerial change.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:23 pm

CBarca wrote:
Art Morte wrote:
Arsenalfaithfull wrote:But spurs sneaking into top 4 under Harry was as much to do with Chelsea and City not performing upto standards. Under AVB last year they had their highest  tally in points ever. They were 7 pts away from finishing 2nd.

Spurs as a team performed better than they had under any manager in the PL era.  
However, when you've got upwards of £100m to spend in one summer solely thanks to one key player departing and getting most of your transfer targets, too, you are expected to be doing better than their first third of the season.
That's just it though...the first third of the season.

Patience is the name of the game, especially with the spending spree Spurs had. How many teams buy as many players as Spurs did and instantly click?

I'm not going to say Spurs shouldn't be doing better...they probably should, nor am I going to say I'm not questioning AVB's material as a manager right now...I am.

But it's important to maintain the bigger picture. Patience is key. What is the worst thing to do to a very new and somewhat unsettled squad that needs confidence, consistency, and time to figure themselves out? Managerial change.
Well, I agree that patience is a virtue and sometimes the January window puts unfair pressure on managers. But AVB seems to still be experimenting with his players too much. Lamela getting his full debut in one of the most difficult away games of the season. Kaboul, too, and looking sloppy. Soldado and Adebayor ahead of Defoe. It looks like he's got too many players and he doesn't know what do with them all so he tries a bit of everything and that's no good.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:44 am

Now he's coming out and saying that the Board supports him but admits Levy isn't happy Laughing

Just like those Chelsea days :coffee:

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:16 am

Do not see what is wrong with Mole's comparison in AVB to Klopp.

Villas Boas is 36
Klopp is 46
10 years age difference.

Villas Boas at age 33 lead Porto to a resounding league success and the Europa League win in the same season.
Klopp 10 years ago after mild success with Mainz, lead them to relegation.

My criticism on Villas Boas stems on my surmising that his Tottenham project was a direct reaction to his bitterness of being sacked from Chelsea. He is a manager far better in allocating fewer resources, than being presented a project to which at the moment is beyond is depth. I find him a manager with extraordinary potential yet is too young, naive and lacks to composure needed to succeed in a longer run. His stress management is a serious problem to which he has commented on before, as visual interpretations of his sideline theatrics are testament to them. He has moved up the manager ladder far too high and too fast, given his nascence of youth and development.

Now is the most crucial time in his managing career, on how he will respond to everyone.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:02 am

ExtremistEnigma wrote:

Spurs as a team performed better than they had under any manager in the PL era.  What an incredible achievement. Two, freaking two points more than their previous best record. Who cares about playing in CL ffs when you have recorded your highest points tally in PL. :bow:

He improved them points wise, with a new squad, and in his first season. Redknapp was at Spurs for a good 3-4 years. Give AVB time.  

Spurs had a slow start to last season iirc, and only kicked on after they beat United at OT. And he's only ONE game outside the top 4. Not too sure why there's so much drama regarding his future.

Arsenalfaithfull wrote:
Obviously I am not a fan of Spurs, but I would like to see up and coming  managers make their mark in the league. It took BR nearly a year and a half to get LFC going... so why not give AVB similar amount of time. Heck, you may as well say that the is dealing with a brand new team.
It took BR 6 months to get Liverpool running. AVB and BR were both signed for their respected clubs in the same month.

But you are right. AVB needs time. Watch him beat Liverpool at WHL and watch out for Sepi and EE's reaction. :coffee:
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:55 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/29/andre-villas-boas-tromso-fan-sacked-chant-ejected

André Villas-Boas asked for a Tromso supporter who chanted that he would be "sacked in the morning" to be removed from his seat behind the dug-out during Tottenham Hotspur's 2-0 Europa League victory in Norway on Thursday evening.

The Tottenham manager said that he was "immune" to all criticism as the pressure on him mounted in the wake of last Sunday's 6-0 defeat at Manchester City.

"I first sung after five minutes that he would be 'sacked in the morning' and he looked at me," Stenersen told the Norwegian newspaper Nordlys. "At the half-time whistle, when it was still 0-0 and I started the same song, he pointed at me and suddenly the security came and threw me out.

"I know he is under a lot of pressure so I think my words hit him, even though I am only a little guy in little Tromso. He was being a bit petulant. This is the same thing that can be sung by 60,000 at the Emirates Stadium or other grounds."
He's cracking, all right.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:57 pm

if he loses against ManU, sack him Neutral 

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:03 pm

AVB always cracks when under pressure. He's a young manager so whenever someone questions his abilities he cracks. He thinks he has to prove to the world that he can succeed in the EPL, he isn't too young to be a top manager, Abramovich was wrong to sack him and that there's only one way to play football regardless of whether his players like it or not. It just becomes a field's day for the press.

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:40 pm

Why are Arsenal supporters defending AVB? scratch
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:48 pm

Lex wrote:Why are Arsenal supporters defending AVB? scratch
it's the same reason because Spurs defended Bendtner.

Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:48 am

The homeless samurai soon to be starring in Ghost Dog 2?
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Arsenalfaithfull Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:53 am

Red Alert wrote:
ExtremistEnigma wrote:

Spurs as a team performed better than they had under any manager in the PL era.  What an incredible achievement. Two, freaking two points more than their previous best record. Who cares about playing in CL ffs when you have recorded your highest points tally in PL. :bow:

He improved them points wise, with a new squad, and in his first season. Redknapp was at Spurs for a good 3-4 years. Give AVB time.  

Spurs had a slow start to last season iirc, and only kicked on after they beat United at OT. And he's only ONE game outside the top 4. Not too sure why there's so much drama regarding his future.

Arsenalfaithfull wrote:
Obviously I am not a fan of Spurs, but I would like to see up and coming  managers make their mark in the league. It took BR nearly a year and a half to get LFC going... so why not give AVB similar amount of time. Heck, you may as well say that the is dealing with a brand new team.
It took BR 6 months to get Liverpool running. AVB and BR were both signed for their respected clubs in the same month.

But you are right. AVB needs time. Watch him beat Liverpool at WHL and watch out for Sepi and EE's reaction. :coffee:
That is a flawed argument because the team which was assembled by BR has stayed the same (comparatively) since he started out. AVB on the other hand is dealing with nearly a brand new team all together. Players who are all alien not only to each other, but the league in itself.

Would you not agree that a manager should be given atleast some time (A season or 2) to implement his style of play?

The league has become far more competitive now than when Harry Redknapp was in charge of the Spurs. The difference in quality between the higher mid table teams (7,6,5) vs the rest of the remaining teams was quite substantial during 2008-2011. Just as the top 4 were reserved for the usual suspects then, so were the next 3 sub-sequential spots (Everton, Spurs, LFC). Its not the same now.
Arsenalfaithfull
Arsenalfaithfull
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by 3lite Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:09 am

Now watch Tottenham beat Man United lol

3lite
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:15 pm

Spurs and AVB are an interesting case.

On the one hand, they played exceptionally well for long stretches last season. In fact, AVB led them to their highest point tally in the Premier League era (yes, higher than when ‘Arry got them into the Champion’s League). Last year was exceedingly successful for Spurs barring the fact that they missed out on CL and did so to Arsenal.

On the other hand, Spurs have spent a staggering amount of money in the last transfer window. (Granted, with the sale of Bale, they ended up bringing in as much or more than they spent.) With such an outlay, they would expect more of a return on their investment.  As it stands, they have actually gained 3 more points this year compared to the same time last year (by gameweek, not corresponding fixture). However, their league placement is what is worrying. In 9th place, 8 points off the pace, and looking dour and susceptible in most performances, Spurs can’t feel confident going into any match. They’ve struggled against minnows and been hammered by bigger clubs.

In the matches they have won, 4 of their 6 wins have been scrappy results. They’ve won three by a single penalty (Crystal Palace, Swansea, and Hull City) and won another by a goal in the 93rd minute (Cardiff City).  Now, you could say they are grinding out results, as almost any good side should, or you could say that they are barely beating the clubs they should beat.

Make no mistake. This is now AVB’s team. The squad is virtually unrecognizable compared to Redknapp’s time at the club. Soldado, Paulinho, Sigurdsson, Dembele, Vertonghen, Lloris, and others are now critical components of the side, having not been at the club with ‘Arry. Despite making considerable improvements in individual quality (not to mention bringing in players more suited to AVB’s tactical setup), the squad is failing to improve as a whole. In fact, you could argue they have regressed with the loss of a Bale (a player capable of creating/converting opportunities out of nothing.

What ‘s most disconcerting about Spurs season, is that AVB seems to be cracking under the pressure. He has criticized the supporters, the media, and the players at various times this season. Many managers like to create a siege mentality in order to unify their group of players. Hwoever, AVB seems to be unifying the squad against the opposition, the media, the supporters, and even himself. It’s in no way a healthy atmosphere, and he appears to be in serious danger of losing the dressing room because of it.

For someone that has shown himself to be a brilliant, young tactician, his failure to succeed in England (so far) has been baffling. I would argue that in AVB’s case, the issue is not ability but temperament. I have serious questions about his ability to manage in a league where the media and general football culture scrutinizes every move of every manager from the top club to the relegation fodder. Moreover, a club with the combination of challenges and expectations of Tottenham only serves to exponentially increase the pressure.

This season will be the acid test for AVB, and he needs the opportunity to see it though to conclusion. I personally think that Spurs have invested too much to cut their losses mid-season. They’ve built the squad to his specifications, supported his tactical and philosophical shifts, and backed him in the media. Moreover, it’s hard to see them falling off to a severely detrimental extent. They may fail to get into Europe and fall behind their competitors. However, AVB has the potential to be a transformative manager for Spurs, and therefore deserves the opportunity to right the ship. In my opinion, the gain from changing managers mid-season is not enough to warrant throwing away AVB’s potential. The club and AVB may well need to part ways in the summer, but the potential benefits still outweigh the negatives of sticking with him.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:37 pm

Now how much did they pay for Soldado!!!
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:56 pm

Too much.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:04 pm

iftikhar wrote:Now how much did they pay for Soldado!!!
30 million euros in 4 instalments per year I think hmm
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:46 pm

This image still gets me. Notice the bright spot in the center circle...

Roberto Soldado's heat map against Man City.
Should Spurs call time on AVB? - Page 5 Article-0-19A1878C00000578-981_634x470
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by chad4401 Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:08 pm

How does Saldado gets all the blame, when spurs are not making clear cut chances for him to miss to get the blame.
chad4401
chad4401
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:58 am

My chief complaint is that while the service Soldado gets is anemic, he isn't helping himself with the runs he's making. Generally, his off ball movement has been quite bad.
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:28 am

Soldado is the anti-Giroud
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:16 am

Lex wrote:Soldado is the anti-Giroud
So Nicklas Bendtner, then?

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:11 am

Arsenalfaithfull wrote:
Red Alert wrote:
ExtremistEnigma wrote:

Arsenalfaithfull wrote:

That is a flawed argument because the team which was assembled by BR has stayed the same (comparatively) since he started out. AVB on the other hand is dealing with nearly a brand new team all together. Players who are all alien not only to each other, but the league in itself.

Would you not agree that a manager should be given atleast some time (A season or 2) to implement his style of play?

The league has become far more competitive now than when Harry Redknapp was in charge of the Spurs. The difference in quality between the higher mid table teams (7,6,5) vs the rest of the  remaining teams was quite substantial during 2008-2011. Just as the top 4 were reserved for the usual suspects then,  so were the  next 3 sub-sequential spots (Everton, Spurs, LFC). Its not the same now.  
what are you on about? im one of the few in this thread defending avb.

i simply just stated it took rodgers 6 months to get liverpool running instead of "18 months" that you claimed.

and I even agreed with post in the post you quoted. ???
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan28 Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:03 pm

I change ny mind on AVB, he should GTFO.
Jonathan28
Jonathan28
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next