Taliban to Start Talks With U.S. and Afghan Government - Page 3 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Taliban to Start Talks With U.S. and Afghan Government

+25
Zagadka
Arquitecto
elitedam
rincon
Nishankly
El Gunner
Robespierre
Myesyats
BarcaLearning
BarrileteCosmico
McLewis
Warrior
Found
VivaStPauli
Hapless_Hans
Pedram
LeBéninois
Juveman17
Il Diavolo
Adit
Firenze
sportsczy
Yuri Yukuv
TalkingReckless
RealGunner
29 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Taliban to Start Talks With U.S. and Afghan Government - Page 3 Empty Re: Taliban to Start Talks With U.S. and Afghan Government

Post by McLewis Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:25 am

Comments from Biden:

I think most Americans, though they feel for the plight of many Afghans, particularly the women, view this as the ripping off of a bandaid. It's initially painful, but still the right thing to do. I don't think anyone likes the way this was done and I do think there must've been some type of lapse in Intelligence in-country if Biden had to admit to the nation and the world that the Taliban's rapid retaking of the country progressed faster than anticipated. Politically, any lapse in communication like that is hurtful to his political capital.

How history will view this depends largely on how many people trying to flee the country end up dying at the hands of the Taliban and how many people we resettle under the Special Immigrant Visa program. Right now it's just allies who helped us (like translators). I think it needs to be expanded to anyone who doesn't want to live under Taliban rule. Maybe it will get there, but how many killed before that happens will have an impact on how Biden's role in this is viewed.

McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Taliban to Start Talks With U.S. and Afghan Government - Page 3 Empty Re: Taliban to Start Talks With U.S. and Afghan Government

Post by Myesyats Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:14 am

VivaStPauli wrote:
Myesyats wrote:

At first I was like "wow", but on second thought these rules are already law in my country Laughing

Isn't that just red states in America?

yep lol.

status in poland currently:
- Abortion is banned - true
- Gay marriage outlawed - true
- Rejection of science - somewhat true
- No vaccines (against their religion) - false
- No separation of church & state - true
- Religion taught in schools - true

Thats 5/6. Do i live in afghanistan? ;/
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:34 am

Myesyats wrote:
VivaStPauli wrote:
Myesyats wrote:

At first I was like "wow", but on second thought these rules are already law in my country Laughing

Isn't that just red states in America?

yep lol.

status in poland currently:
- Abortion is banned - true
- Gay marriage outlawed - true
- Rejection of science - somewhat true
- No vaccines (against their religion) - false
- No separation of church & state - true
- Religion taught in schools - true

Thats 5/6. Do i live in afghanistan? ;/

Damn here in India:

- Abortion is banned - allowed until first 20 weeks, then banned

- Gay marriage outlawed - Ongoing to be decriminalized but no punishments for same sex relationships and common to see same sex couples nowadays, still touchy with the population

- Rejection of science - everyone becomes an engineer here first then thinks about what to do in life

- No vaccines (against their religion) - people crying out loud for vaccines here

- No separation of church/religion & state - true but depends on the government, current one claims secularity but doesn't show it

- Religion taught in schools - State and private schools are prohibited from teaching religion, some religious based schools do.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Found Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:51 am

Myesyats wrote:

That’s a laughably bad faith framing, almost amusing if the issue wasn’t so serious, that seem just to be a barb at western, specifically American, conservatism.
Gay marriage? The difference the taliban will make to Afghanistan is that instead of going to prison for gay activities you will be publicly executed for gay activity, in a presumably brutal manner. And we’re talking about gay marriage? The taliban isn’t 10 years behind on gay rights, they’re centuries behind, at least.

There are few countries outside of what usually referred to as western civilisation where marriage equality exists. And of those few most have significant roots in western civilisation.
What makes the taliban stand out is the extremism, how comfortable they are with violence.
Taliban to Start Talks With U.S. and Afghan Government - Page 3 A114ae10
Found
Found
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:02 pm

Found wrote:
Myesyats wrote:

That’s a laughably bad faith framing, almost amusing if the issue wasn’t so serious, that seem just to be a barb at western, specifically American, conservatism.
Gay marriage? The difference the taliban will make to Afghanistan is that instead of going to prison for gay activities you will be publicly executed for gay activity, in a presumably brutal manner. And we’re talking about gay marriage? The taliban isn’t 10 years behind on gay rights, they’re centuries behind, at least.

There are few countries outside of what usually referred to as western civilisation where marriage equality exists. And of those few most have significant roots in western civilisation.
What makes the taliban stand out is the extremism, how comfortable they are with violence.
Taliban to Start Talks With U.S. and Afghan Government - Page 3 A114ae10

Exactly what I came to write earlier but forgot to send the post.

We shouldn't make even the slightest comparison of the taliban with US republicans or polish conservatives. To transpose it onto any left vs right argument in the western world does a disservice to everyone.

Its a whole different level of extremism that we should all agree to condemn instead of trying to transpose onto our local issues.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:41 pm

Yeah i didnt mean to equate taliban extremism to traditional conservatism in any way but it did come across that way which is my fault
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:49 pm

Well I don't think someone was comparing realities really, just a sarcastic view , a bitter sarcasm on local reality.
Sadly I can't be surprised on   Sharia's principles, I expect it implies this, and of course Sharia is the most tragic thing and not comparable with Europe, everyone agrees on it ,  but well I feel it's even weirdest what it happens in countries that don't marry a closure but a Community design (theorically )
paradoxically Poland had one of most libertarian legislations in this area in 60s-70s  ( for example Abortion in Italy became legal just in May 1978). In fact Poland represents the only EU country to  be passed from legislation pro-choice to very restrictive (Orban 's trying but still not...)
For this reason n that period Poland  was one of the main European destinations for abortion tourism, both for its own legislation and for the very low costs of surgical interventions.
Then collapse of USSR (first country to depenalize abortiion) marked a definite change of direction.
The Catholic Church, severely repressed during  the  Communist years  , since 90s   began to exert a strong influence on Polish society.
Moral of story, anyone who thinks of subjugating, subjugating, governing a society on the basis of a religion has my contempt.
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by elitedam Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:00 pm

I thought it was very clear Myesyats was joking and not seriously comparing the Taliban to Western conservatives.

On topic, this is depressing as hell.
elitedam
elitedam
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:07 pm

https://twitter.com/aahmady/status/1427265049668636674?s=20

Interesting thread on the ground view. Seems crazy to me that even a high level got official like the central bank president was caught off guard by this
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:50 pm

I know that Myesyats or Robes were being sarcastic, it was more annoyance at general trends and at the person who made that tweet more than anything. It's not the time to use this to polarize certain issues and attack other groups.

Its just such a grim topic, I feel exactly this:
elitedam wrote:
On topic, this is depressing as hell.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:26 pm

Taliban just did their first press conference.

Quite reasonable statements and thankfully no declaration of war. But how much they actually mean all of it is another story

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:47 pm

Meh they are just trying to build legitimacy and gain international recognition, i wouldn't buy anything that comes out of their mouth right now.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:12 pm

Yeah that is obvious, no need to defend that Myeyes Laughing
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:33 pm

Nishankly wrote:Yeah that is obvious, no need to defend that Myeyes Laughing

Well, out of respect to Afghan people I felt inclined to rephrase that even though to me and many others it's clearly obvious. In no way the situation in Kabul/Afghanistan is similar or close to here.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:36 pm

I replied since it is actually a very educational topic with topical questions. I'd love to hear about other countries but I guess not the right place.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:08 pm

El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:56 pm

That much is clear. Killing Bin laden wouldnt stop terrorism. Killing every taliban wouldnt stop terrorism. Its impossible. There has to be a  change within, can't be enforced by violence, only breeds more violence. Besides wars were always about elites, money and power. Rarely about anything else,right?
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:04 pm

Myesyats wrote:That much is clear. Killing Bin laden wouldnt stop terrorism. Killing every taliban wouldnt stop terrorism. Its impossible. There has to be a  change within, can't be enforced by violence, only breeds more violence. Besides wars were always about elites, money and power. Rarely about anything else,right?

They are Tribals still living in the 1500s, you cannot help them unless you convince them religion is not the answer. The only reason this has been peaceful and women are being treated not as bad yet is because they know and are well aware of what the world will do them if they try anything dodgy and it makes out considering the human investment that had been put into removing them by the world.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:25 am

50 afghans are camping out on our belarusian border and we're refusing to even give them supplies bruh and barb wiring the border, the state of this country. Thats the famous love thy neighbor, catholic bs Taliban to Start Talks With U.S. and Afghan Government - Page 3 1f626
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:01 am

A great collection of photos on how Afghanistan was in '40 , '60, '70, '80

Incredible....

The fashion magazine Vogue decided to publish in December 1969 an entire reportage entitled "Adventure in Afghanistan", which reports a fashion show in Kabul and all the most chic places in the city.

https://www.curioctopus.it/read/5946/sapete-com-e-l-afghanistan-oggi-ma-quando-vedrete-come-era-50-anni-fa-non-ci-crederete
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Found Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:20 pm

Interesting choice of picture media chooses. Not sure what % of the refugees look like that  :whistle:

Taliban to Start Talks With U.S. and Afghan Government - Page 3 B3e9aa10
Found
Found
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:58 pm

Found wrote:Interesting choice of picture media chooses. Not sure what % of the refugees look like that  :whistle:

Taliban to Start Talks With U.S. and Afghan Government - Page 3 B3e9aa10

What exactly do you mean by that?
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:33 pm

He means that Sky used a white green eyed girl to purposefully generate more sympathy in their western audience and get more clicks on that article than if they had used a more stereo-typically middle-eastern looking girl, I assume.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:00 pm

That very famous Afghan refugee girl in that award-winning photograph was light-skinned and grey-eyed so I don't get what's the supposed problem.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:41 pm

definitely looks more Afghan than the other one, which is basically white it seems like

Taliban to Start Talks With U.S. and Afghan Government - Page 3 Sharbat_Gula
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:00 am

Yeah totally agreed, hence why I said stereotypically middle eastern. But I'm guessing that's what he meant.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next