Wigan Athletic 0 - 1 Arsenal: More difficult than it should have been - Page 2 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Wigan Athletic 0 - 1 Arsenal: More difficult than it should have been

+14
DuringTheWar
furiouswindbottom
Raptorgunner
Motogp69
SamuelJayC
Wilson37
Amar
Rev
Chumlum
Eman
RealGunner
Sina
REWB
Jay29
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wigan Athletic 0 - 1 Arsenal: More difficult than it should have been - Page 2 Empty Re: Wigan Athletic 0 - 1 Arsenal: More difficult than it should have been

Post by RealGunner Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:14 pm

Naj cheers

RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Wigan Athletic 0 - 1 Arsenal: More difficult than it should have been - Page 2 Empty Re: Wigan Athletic 0 - 1 Arsenal: More difficult than it should have been

Post by Naj Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:45 pm

I had already written this analysis a while back, so I might as well just upload it to share my views on the game.

Martinez ditches 3-4-3 as Wigan press arsenal

After Wigan’s poor run of form, Martinez decided to scrap his 3-4-3 formation and play a 4-3-3. McCarthy sat between the lines and his responsibility was to man-mark Cazorla and he did a fine job in the process. Cazorla struggled to be at ease and was always under pressure sometimes playing hurried passes. Indeed, Wigan’s strategy without the ball was to press arsenal. Generally, they gave arsenal’s centerbacks time on the ball but pressed when the ball was played into the arsenal fullbacks or the midfield.

Arsenal’s midfield struggled with the close attention. In many games this season, arsenal have been dominating possession partly because the opposition stand off and instead focus on frustrating them in the final third. Arteta generally has time on the ball in his deep-lying position and it is partly why he manages to play so many passes each game. However, in this game, he and Wilshere were being pressed, making arsenal struggle to have time on the ball. At the end of the game, arsenal’s passing success rate was 83%, which is decent, but the home side’s pressing meant the percentage wasn’t higher.

Wigan’s formation enabled this, the duo of Jones and McArthur were playing higher up than McCarthy, this meant they could properly press Arteta and Wilshere. Kone also dropped back sometimes to midfield to press, putting further pressure on arsenal’s deep-lying midfielders. At some point, Cazorla and Chamberlain briefly switched positions, before going back to the usual. To put it short, it was 3 v 3 in the center of midfield, meaning that each Wigan midfielder generally had his opponent – Jones on Arteta, McArthur on Wilshere while McCarthy was more committed in his role as he was asked to man-mark Cazorla all over the pitch. Di Santo and Maloney generally looked to watch the arsenal fullbacks and press rather than drop back into midfield and form a 4-1-4-1 without the ball.

Wigan attacks

Not only were Wigan defending well, they also played well offensively and weren’t negative. The trio of Kone, Di Santo and Maloney were fluid and kept rotating positions, they narrowed themselves, which opened up space for their attacking fullbacks on the overlap. Beaussejour and Stam went forward so much that you’d be forgiven for thinking they were still wingbacks when, in fact, they weren’t, but their deliveries were often poor, especially from Stam. Their frequent overlapping was forcing Podolski and Chamberlain back, where it didn’t seem they were comfortable at all. Wigan were the better side but you feared their pressing game might make them tire in the last minutes of the game. Arsenal were somewhat outfought and one felt Wenger might need to change something for the second half.

Walcott was barely involved in the 1st half because he kept trying to run in-behind. Unfortunately for him, football has evolved and we are in a time where strikers have to come deep to be more involved and do more rather than simply trying to play on the shoulder. It is the reason why the classic goal-poacher of the early 2000s has died a bit in recent years. Strikers need to be more varied with their game and playing style. It was no surprise that after 95 minutes of football, he passed the ball only 7 times – indicating that he wasn’t very involved in the game. His runs, however, were decent and he starting dropping deeper more frequently as the game progressed.

Second Half

Arsenal attack the right

In the second half, arsenal started playing more down the right and Chamberlain v Beaussejour became the key battle. The Chilean isn’t the best of defenders, he started to struggle as the Ox was dribbling past him a bit too easily. It wasn’t much of a surprise then when he gave away the penalty – Walcott, who was briefly on the right side, moved past him and in his effort to recover, he brought him down. Shortly later, once again, Chamberlain got the ball on the right in Beaussejour’s zone and sent a delicious cross that Walcott somehow missed.

It had become the key attacking area for arsenal and Wenger’s decision to remove him for Ramsey only invited pressure. The Welshman was probably brought on to use his energy and help defend against Beassejour’s attacking runs. There were like 3 occasions where he was too deep to the extent that Sagna was even higher up the pitch than him. Not only did Chamberlain’s exit starve arsenal of someone who could dribble with the ball on the flanks, it seemed as if it also invited pressure as they struggled to keep the ball.

Changes

Both sides made changes and arsenal’s was designed to make them tighter defensively as Wenger seeked to not concede. Firstly, he removed Podolski and brought on Coquelin, which meant players switched positions. Cazorla went to the left, Wilshere was now the advanced midfielder while Coquelin sat back with Arteta. Later on, Wenger brought on Koscielny and switched to 3 at the back.

Ramsey kept playing very deep and was basically part of the back line. At one point in the 92nd minute, arsenal had about 7 players at the back, Ramsey was at right back, Wilshere left back, while the back five (including Koscielny) were in the middles. It was an astonishing defensive attitude, only Arteta and Coquelin were in midfield. Although this happened only in the 92nd minute, it was quite interesting to see. In the end, Wenger’s substitutions late in the game gave arsenal a more defensive mentalit, although it invited pressure.

Conclusion

It is hard to fault Martinez’s tactics for this game. He instructed his side to press tightly in midfield and put arsenal under pressure – this worked well. Indeed, whether you choose to press or sit back, arsenal struggle. When you press them tightly in midfield like Wigan did today, they struggle with the close attention and can’t settle in possession. Conversely, if you sit back and defend deep, arsenal dominate possession but then struggle in the final third. Michael Cox, editor of ZonalMarking, wrote an article in the Guardian last season when arsenal were dumped out of the FA Cup by Sunderland which basically said the same thing, arsenal struggle either way.

They play best when a team gives them time on the ball and simultaneously give them space in the final third, either between the lines or in-behind, just like against Reading on Monday. Having said that, praise must be given to arsenal for withstanding pressure and producing a fine performance. Confidence is probably building now at the Emirates as it is 3 wins in a row and the critical pressure is off of Wenger – for now.

Last edited by Naj on Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Naj
Naj
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Naj Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:52 pm

RealGunner wrote:Naj cheers

My man, hw u doing? Sorry I haven't spoken to you in a while, haven't really had the space to do so. Graduated not too long ago and will be doing my masters soon, God-willing.
Naj
Naj
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:55 pm

McCarthy's position was something that interested me. I couldn't imagine him playing centre back, and the way he was pushing up the field confirmed that he wasn't.

Sky's commentators were a bit baffled by their shape, saying it was like a 2-3-2-3. Truth is, Wigan pushed their full backs very high up the pitch and just left the two centre backs in defence. It was a very brave move with Walcott there, but that's why you press and play narrow; so the opposition doesn't get the opportunity to play those passes in behind. I really wish we did the same more often, since I believe it would solve our problem of not being able to deal with pressure very well.

I actually really admire Roberto Martinez as a manager. His squad is always one of the worst in the league, but he still gets them playing good football and has proved to be a really brave manager by adopting a 3-man defence and using tactics like he did today. I'd be really interested in seeing how he'd do at a bigger club.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:00 pm

Top Man Naj :bow:
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:20 pm

Quite easily the most interesting tactical battle of the day compared to the other donkey style matches that dominated the PL fixture list today. Its almost fascinating to see Martinez muster the courage to play a 3-5-2 3 man with winbacks with such tactically and technically poor players. At first Arsenal were heavily pressed well into their own half as Wigan had the better bulk of the possession due to them having an extra man in midfield yet as overall the Oxlaide shot was the only chance Arsenal had within the first half. Wigan played excellently to use their wingbacks to press Arsenal's advancing fullbacks into their own half while being more confident with the ball. Arsenal's mistake was playing a possession game against odds vs an extra man in midfield in conditions circumstances going against them. It was almost suicide trying to battle for possession when Arsenal could have ripped them apart on the counter in the 1st.

2nd half was a different story as Arsenal sat deeper using Walcott and Podolski as almost central pressing options while Wilshere and Cazorla continually advanced. Wilshere had an excellent game coming through the centre while Cazorla did well to distribute from fullback to fullback allowing the natural width in a somewhat congested Arsenal side. Arteta finally got a foothold of the game which allowed Arsenal to gain possession as he also took his spot kick well after a stone-wall penalty conceded onto Walcott.

Mertesacker had his worst game of the season and just looked under the weather today with his erratic clearances, being beaten so easily for pace on the high line (not really his fault) yet made up for it with some vital clearances near the end of the game. Gibbs for me had one of his best games as its clear Wenger knows how to develop even the most limited of fullbacks to show composure within the box.

Back on RM I do not know why he would play such a formation with fullbacks so poor and a central CB who doesn't have a clue on how to link the midfield and defence. All in all it was a great game of football and an excellent tactical battle. Wigan didn't deserve to lose yet Arsenal certainly didn't either. Fair result in the end. Very impressed with Wigan nonetheless.

Wilshere MOTM for me. Was in the heart of everything Arsenal.

Trust in Wenger. 2 wins a row.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Naj Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:21 pm

A 2-3-2-3 and a 4-3-3 are basically the same, the difference depends on if a person wants to classify Beaussejour and Stam as fullbacks or wingbacks.

Just checked Whoscored and they have McCarthy at centerback which he clearly didn't play today, that is wrong.

Hello, Sina. Smile
Naj
Naj
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:37 pm

It's actually three wins in a row in the league now; 8 goals scored, only 2 conceded. Newcastle at home is up next, so hopefully we can pick up another win and continue to improve upon our performances. It's vital we get on a good run because we have games against City, Liverpool (both at home) and Chelsea (away) in January.

It's probably a good thing that we don't play on boxing day, knowing how easily our team can become "jaded" and lose their "sharpness". Hopefully they'll get some good rest in and then be fresh to play against Newcastle and their amazing hoofing.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:47 pm

After the season we have had, i am not scared anymore to face any team. Not sure if that's good or not

I don't think anything can beat the defeat to bradford. inb4 fate
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:26 pm

0 – Shots by Cazorla
0 – Number of times, prior to today, that Cazorla took 0 shots playing for Arsenal hmm
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Naj Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:16 am

Sina wrote:0 – Shots by Cazorla
0 – Number of times, prior to today, that Cazorla took 0 shots playing for Arsenal hmm

Blame McCarthy for that. He man-marked Cazorla everywhere, even when the Spaniard drifted slightly towards the channels. In a defensive sense, he was the best player on the pitch in my opinion.

He made 6 tackles, more than any other player on the pitch. Vermelen didnt' manage a single tackle. He also was the joint-highest dribbler with Wilshere which is bizarre considering he was the DM.

I really liked his performance. If you stop Cazorla playing, you deserve applause. Some rated him as the best wigan player on the day.
Naj
Naj
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:17 am

Whisper is quietly but Oxlade is improving ( finally )
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:04 am

Not an easy win, but 3 points is 3 points, I'll take it.

And yeah AOC started off slow but had a good 2nd half I thought, should've had an assist on that Walcott cut back.

dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/#!/dmizee

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:37 am

GoonerJay29 wrote:
I actually really admire Roberto Martinez as a manager. His squad is always one of the worst in the league, but he still gets them playing good football and has proved to be a really brave manager by adopting a 3-man defence and using tactics like he did today. I'd be really interested in seeing how he'd do at a bigger club.

I agree, and I think he's underrated as tactician. He usually always has a good gameplan for the top teams, especially us it seems. *Remembers the 2-1 defeat at home to them last April, as well as the 3-2 comeback they had against us a couple years ago*

I know Aston Villa wanted him, but he should wait for the right club. Liverpool would've been good for him, but he passed(supposedly?). I guess he's happy at Wigan for now.
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/#!/dmizee

Back to top Go down

Post by Naj Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:21 pm

Martinez just confirmed that wigan used only 3 players in midfield. He said: "Our midfield three (James McCarthy, James McArthur and David Jones) were taking on three of the most technically gifted players in Europe and stopped them from playing..."

This confirms two things that I said

1) wigan did not have 3 at the back because mccarthy was playing in midfield, not at cb.

2) Maloney wasn't a midfielder, he was part of the forward 3. He played narrowly which made some people think he was, but he wasn't.
Naj
Naj
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by furiouswindbottom Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:04 pm

GoonerJay29 wrote:I don't see how it was pure luck because we were hardly stretched by Wigan after we made the subs.

I suppose Wenger's line of thinking was that Chamberain was tiring and he needed some extra bodies in midfield to help us keep the ball, so Rasmey seemed the logical choice. For what little Ramsey was involved in, he actually did do what was required of him; tracked their left wing back, and helped us keep the ball.

Brining on Coquelin was a good move because we needed some extra bite in midfield. He came on and made some really good challenges.

Agree with most of that, particularly Ramsey who did quite well. My point was that we had no pace out wide and nobody to hold the ball up. All we did was clear Wigan's poor balls to the edge of our box and invite another ball. We dealt with it, but it was only due to Wigan's poor use of the ball.

It's ok going 4-5-1 at the end if you have some pace out wide and a man to hold the ball up. We didn't have either. Santi was tired and although he is no sluch, he isn't suited to defensive duties. Giroud was unavailable, I get that, but in future we need to be a bit careful at the end of games if we are holding on.

If we do the same vs a decent team we will come unstuck.

Anyhooz. We won. I'm happy. Merry xmas all Very Happy
furiouswindbottom
furiouswindbottom
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:08 pm

RealGunner wrote:After the season we have had, i am not scared anymore to face any team. Not sure if that's good or not

I don't think anything can beat the defeat to bradford. inb4 fate
i dont agree.. things get worse every time.. i thought Carling cup final was worst, then 4-4, then 8-2 at OT and now Bradford... only we can do this :bow:
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncanny Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:03 am

i didnt watch the game, but I am impressed you guys climbed up to fourth place, i like seeing arsenal in champions league every year
Uncanny
Uncanny
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:52 pm

me too eco smile
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2