Gomez83
TheRedStag
Mr. Festim
37 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Howar Webb Apreciation thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Howar Webb Apreciation thread

Post by Gomez83 Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:14 am

Marcelo and Ramos yellow cards could be argued for a red and you cannot deny that. Penalties were 30-70 in favor of no penalty so not going to bother raising awareness on that.

Gomez83
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:33 am

Well, IMO Webb managed to distribute wrong decisions rather evenly, so it evened out. Other than that he never appeared to lose control, which, given the egos of the players involved, was no small feat. I hope that Viktor Kassai will get the final this year again, btw.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:39 am

Mr. Festim wrote:He was an example on how referees should control the game and he was just brilliant tonight. Well Done

6 Madrid players with yellow card.

Considering Madrid played far less agressive than vs. Barça, I agree he did a good job. Vs. us, you would end with 8 players if Webb was the ref.

I don't think he was sensational though, as they said, Marcelo should have been sent off and the guy wanted too much protagonism, rebuking players all the time instead of showing the yellow card.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:45 am

What I find quite perverse is this:

Messi (or any player, really) scores a hat-trick. People's general reaction: "OMG, what an amazing performance, he had simply a perfect game!"

But sure enough he must have lost the ball a few times, misplaced some passes, missed a couple of chances etc. So, not 100% flawless, but his performance gets hailed as that.

Now, a referee (for instance, Howard Webb yesterday) has a game where he gets nearly all of his calls right and those calls he does not make were 50-50 anyway. He also keeps the game in his control and allows good football to happen. A refereeing performance that could hardly have been better, one that can be compared to player scoring a hat-trick.

People's average reaction? "He did OK, could've been better".
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:49 am

VivaStPauli wrote:Gave Bayern a goal that was offside.
Didn't send off Marcelo and Ramos.

Still not sure about the penalties.

Could've done better. Was no catastrophe either.

How was Bayern's goal offside?
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:49 am

Art Morte wrote:What I find quite perverse is this:

Messi (or any player, really) scores a hat-trick. People's general reaction: "OMG, what an amazing performance, he had simply a perfect game!"

But sure enough he must have lost the ball a few times, misplaced some passes, missed a couple of chances etc. So, not 100% flawless, but his performance gets hailed as that.

Now, a referee (for instance, Howard Webb yesterday) has a game where he gets nearly all of his calls right and those calls he does not make were 50-50 anyway. He also keeps the game in his control and allows good football to happen. A refereeing performance that could hardly have been better, one that can be compared to player scoring a hat-trick.

Thats because a referee's decisions have far more weight on the game on a collective basis as their sole job is to find the grey line between right and wrong when it comes to that.

He failed to control the game give his authority along with giving Bayern and offside goal and refused to send of Marcelo for a clear as day Red card.

Which equates to a poor officiating. Pundits of sky, telecinco etc alike agreed that he had a nightmare.

Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:57 am

free_cat wrote:How was Bayern's goal offside?
When Ribery scored, Gustavo stood as last man in front of Casillas and thus likely obstructed his view. Due to the obstruction, Gustavo probably should have been considered an active player and thus the off-side position was call-worthy. But then, as at least one of the the not given penalty situations was denied wrongly, things evened out in the end. ^^
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:01 am

Meh how many dubious penalties have Madrid gotten this season against minnows? I sincerely doubt that all 11/12 of Cronaldo's penalties were legit.....
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:21 am

I have a completely opposite view. Gustavo was not offside, not a penalty on Gomez and the cards were all proper. Nothing out of the ordinary which means Webb had a perfect game.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:22 am

Arquitecto wrote:

Thats because a referee's decisions have far more weight on the game on a collective basis as their sole job is to find the grey line between right and wrong when it comes to that.

He failed to control the game give his authority along with giving Bayern and offside goal and refused to send of Marcelo for a clear as day Red card.

Which equates to a poor officiating. Pundits of sky, telecinco etc alike agreed that he had a nightmare.

It's not the referees job to spot offsides, it's the linesmen's.

Marcelo's tackle, I've seen yellows given, I've seen reds.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:27 am

rwo power wrote:
free_cat wrote:How was Bayern's goal offside?
When Ribery scored, Gustavo stood as last man in front of Casillas and thus likely obstructed his view. Due to the obstruction, Gustavo probably should have been considered an active player and thus the off-side position was call-worthy. But then, as at least one of the the not given penalty situations was denied wrongly, things evened out in the end. ^^

Gustavo didn't touch the ball, it's up to the ref interpretation if he interfered or not.
Not offside then.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:28 am

Art Morte wrote:
Arquitecto wrote:

You've yellows given, yet those are poor decisions considering it Marcelo's tackle went against everything within the book. It was a clear red as this cannot even be debated.

I don't even have to mention his hesitance throughout the match as quite obviously he would crumble under pressure if the match was even more heated.

Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:07 am

I dounno how someone could not be happy with his performance.

Webb even though he showed card showed calm, put his authority on the game, most refs would have started flying red cards in that game
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:15 am

Arquitecto wrote:
Art Morte wrote:
Arquitecto wrote:

You've yellows given, yet those are poor decisions considering it Marcelo's tackle went against everything within the book. It was a clear red as this cannot even be debated.

I don't even have to mention his hesitance throughout the match as quite obviously he would crumble under pressure if the match was even more heated.

I don't know Arquitecto; sure , you can argue about that tackle , but it was so late in the game and it didn't hurt the game or the result. If it happened earlier , then yeah , i would agree.

In general , he had a very good night. Sometimes , he was hardly noticed on the pitch and that's what you want from a ref in games. He played by the rules in my opinion , despite the tackle.

Webb has had some controversial nights in his CL carreer so far , but i don't think last night should be accounted in these.
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by billy_gr Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:31 am

not a bad game by Webb.
Marcelo shouldn't play in the return leg though. late in the game or not this tackle is bookable with red
billy_gr
billy_gr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:09 pm

Ramos as well, FFS, plus Bayerns goal was offside - how is this a good match by a ref?
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautiful Football Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:11 pm

VivaStPauli wrote:Ramos as well, FFS, plus Bayerns goal was offside - how is this a good match by a ref?

Beautiful Football
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:14 pm

The only reason that people aren't calling for Webbs head is that he shafted both teams equally - and his final whistle was badly timed as well, so he even left the game on a poorly referee'd note.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:42 pm

VivaStPauli wrote:Ramos as well, FFS, plus Bayerns goal was offside - how is this a good match by a ref?

1. As I said before, offsides are linesmen's duties, not the refs.

2. Ramos' yellow card was never a stonewall red. It's only bad refereeing if you get stonewall calls wrong, this one was 50-50, imo, so Webb's decision was fine.

3. Marcelo's yellow was probably closer to a red, but if you want to call it a mistake for not giving a straight red, then it was one of very few of Webb's mistakes on the night.

Overall he took care of the game very very well, imo.

Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbackwriter Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:46 pm

There was nothing wrong with the final whistle. Bayern first spent 1 minute wasting time, starting a brawl and milking an injury (Müller). And then it took them 30-40 sec to move the team up the field when Neuer was going to take the FK. In those circumstances they can't expect to get that last shot.

Otherwise, if Marcelo was to receive a red card then surely Robben should have been off as well. Just second before he got a yellow for the challenge on Coentrao he went up and kicked Ronaldo to the ground when Ronaldo had passed the ball on. Ronaldo got a FK but no yellow. Even thou it was a very clear yellow.

But overall a great ref performance. A more attention seeking ref and we'd might have seen several dubious penalties and red cards and suddenly it would have been a game where the ref grabbed the headlines. Again.
paperbackwriter
paperbackwriter
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:28 pm

paperbackwriter wrote:There was nothing wrong with the final whistle. Bayern first spent 1 minute wasting time, starting a brawl and milking an injury (Müller). And then it took them 30-40 sec to move the team up the field when Neuer was going to take the FK. In those circumstances they can't expect to get that last shot.

Otherwise, if Marcelo was to receive a red card then surely Robben should have been off as well. Just second before he got a yellow for the challenge on Coentrao he went up and kicked Ronaldo to the ground when Ronaldo had passed the ball on. Ronaldo got a FK but no yellow. Even thou it was a very clear yellow.

But overall a great ref performance. A more attention seeking ref and we'd might have seen several dubious penalties and red cards and suddenly it would have been a game where the ref grabbed the headlines. Again.

THIS,

many people don't realize how well Webb was in the game, it was a pure game of egos, and Howard was brutally good
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:48 pm

A tad too card happy but overall did OK.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by S Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:53 pm

Good refereeing overall.

What i liked about his refereeing that he wasnt awarding free kicks when Dive Maria and Penaldo were diving all over the place.

Though i still think he is not assertive and brave enough when it comes to big calls like the Marcelo-Mueller incident.Its a red card offense but he just calmed things down by just giving him a yellow.

One thing though is that there was consistency in his refereeing yesterday.Thats all i can say.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:49 pm

How was the goal offside? It was Pepe who was blocking Casillas line of sight, not Gustavo.
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by Baraa Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:54 pm

windkick wrote:Marcelo and Ramos should be sent off every match on default

this is the great time when a barca fan starts talking bullsh*t about red cards.

when your pathetic team play and start their hollywood perforemance, why dont you count every dive as a yellow card and tell me how many players you have left on the pitch?
Baraa
Baraa
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:05 pm

Webb did surprisingly very good, I expected much more contraverse actions fro m him but hands off he did much better than in EPL.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next