Nishankly
donttreadonred
Red Alert
Arquitecto
poolsupporter
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Damien Commoli set to leave Liverpool FC Empty Damien Commoli set to leave Liverpool FC

Post by poolsupporter Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:00 am

Fenway Sports Group and Liverpool FC confirmed today that Director of Football Damien Comolli has left the Club by mutual consent.

Principal Owner John Henry said: "We are grateful for all of Damien's efforts on behalf of Liverpool and wish him all the best for the future."

Liverpool Chairman Tom Werner added: "The Club needs to move forward and we now have a huge game on Saturday. It is important that everyone joins us in supporting the manager and gets behind Kenny and the team and focuses on a strong finish to the season."

Damien Comolli commented: "I am grateful to have been given the opportunity to work at Liverpool and am happy to move on from the Club and back to France for family reasons. I wish the Club all the best for the future."
poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Damien Commoli set to leave Liverpool FC Empty Re: Damien Commoli set to leave Liverpool FC

Post by Arquitecto Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:08 am

This to me, is by FAR the worst news of the season. Worse than Lucas being injured, worse than the Suarez incident, and worse than our poor season.

If anyone who closely has followed Commoli, will know what I am talking about.

I am a supporter of the "moneyball" theory and how it could have boosted our team as it has shown some optimistic results.

I was truly looking forward to his further work and input within the future years yet obviously he has been given FAR too short a span of time to have his work brought to fruit.

Highly disappointed with the board for this decision as its not like the club to do such a thing.

Anyone with me?
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Damien Commoli set to leave Liverpool FC Empty Re: Damien Commoli set to leave Liverpool FC

Post by Red Alert Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:50 am

Benitez director.
Kenny manager.

In a couple of years for them to switch.

I don't want to slate Comolli as he probably wanted more time, and we honestly don't know what happened behind the scenes. We just know it's for "family issues" and I hope him the best.

But he didn't too good of a job here. 35m for Carroll... 20m for Downing... getting rid of Aquilani for 5m... is a joke.

@ Arq: He's only just brought in Coates for the "moneyball" theory.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:51 am

Arquitecto wrote:Highly disappointed with the board for this decision as its not like the club to do such a thing.

Anyone with me?

am happy to move on from the Club and back to France for family reasons
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:03 pm

ynwa wrote:Benitez director.
Kenny manager.

In a couple of years for them to switch.

I don't want to slate Comolli as he probably wanted more time, and we honestly don't know what happened behind the scenes. We just know it's for "family issues" and I hope him the best.

But he didn't too good of a job here. 35m for Carroll... 20m for Downing... getting rid of Aquilani for 5m... is a joke.

@ Arq: He's only just brought in Coates for the "moneyball" theory.

No no, Ynwa.

Downing was part of the moneyball in his high chance creation and cross percentage.

Henderson, also had an impressive output along with Charlie Adam for Blackpool.

We also moved for Suarez for his ridiculously high statistical percentages in all grounds while Bellamy who was noticed for his individual statistics from Cardiff and low price.

I can't say I know about Enrique.

Difference is, Comolli and Henry spoke of these factors as key behind the decisions to sign them.

And family issues? The articles I'm seeing are because his mixed results of the seasons or signings. :?:

Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:18 pm

I'd trust the LFC.tv statement mate.

The articles are always going to blame signings etc.

Define moneyball. Is it not signings for the future that will have value when we decide to get rid? Coates in my opinion, is the only one that fits the bill... you can argue Suarez and Henderson in there too.

I was never a fan of using stats to sign someone. That for me is lazy scouting. I mean, a 15 year old kid can do that on Football Manager. Surely a DOF needs to watch a player, find out his style and well, make sure he would fit into the way the manager wants to play then to just look at stats. Surely.
__
Comolli is going to have mixed reactions from LFC fans.
There's going to be those arrogant "fans" that instant success, and see this "British policy" as failure and think it's great he's gone. Then there's going to be those that feel he should of had more time for a long-term project. I'm sitting in the middle right now.

But I honestly want Rafael Benitez to be the next DOF even though it's very unrealistic.

Last edited by ynwa on Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:26 pm

Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish has said he is the one responsible for all Liverpool's recent transfers, following the departure of former director of football Damien Comolli.

Comolli, the director of football strategy at Anfield before being promoted last March, left the club by mutual consent on Thursday, after less than two years on Merseyside.

He previously had spells in similar roles at both Tottenham and Saint Etienne.

Comolli had come in for criticism over the lack of success for many of his signings - including the likes of Andy Carroll, Jordan Henderson, Charlie Adam and Stewart Downing - for months preceding his abrupt departure. But Dalglish defended Comolli's body of work, saying that as manager it was him, not the Frenchman, who was the driving force behind Liverpool's transfer policy.

"I had a fantastic working and personal relationship with Damien since he came here," Dalglish said. "It is disappointing but I suppose there is not much in football which comes as a surprise.

"He has been really helpful in every transfer target we've gone for. Everyone who has come into the club since Damien has been here was of my choice. Once I made the choice who I wanted, Damien went away and did a fantastic job of bringing them in.

"It is sad to see anyone leave the football club and he goes with my best wishes and hopefully it is not long before we meet again. We wish him well with everything that he does."
http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/145704.html
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:30 pm

This is possibly the most concerning news related to Liverpool as an organization. I say "possibly," because of the reason stated for leaving. The club (Tom Werner and John Henry) don't actually provide one, it's only Commoli who cites family reasons. To be honest, I'm not sure what to make of it.

It could certainly be argued that the club are using Commoli as a scapegoat (in lieu of Daglish) for the poor signings and return on the season, but I don't think so. It's the absolute wrong time to sack him as a scapegoat. The season isn't over, and therefore, the real fallout from a poor finish hasn't really hit yet. Comolli's sacking wouldn't appease a thing.

Another possibility is that they sacked him prior to the summer in order to begin scouting for new transfers in the summer. This is more probable, and also more concerning. This would mean that we've given up on the previous transfer policy, and we are only now looking towards a new direction and players. Things that may support this theory include the lack of transfers in the January window. If the ownership weren't sold on Commoli, they most likely would not fund another window of transfers controlled by someone who wasn't aligned with the direction of the club.

Finally, there is the possibility that the statement is completely and unabashedly true. After delving into the possibilities, this seems most probable. Unfortunately, I'm not sure this is a better situation than either of the above. In this case, the man responsible for the transfer direction of the club is walking out, and with him goes any coherent strategy we may have had. Sure, we can bring someone in to continue his work, but it's never a good situation to have someone implementing someone else's strategy.

Regarding the Rafa suggestion:
As much as I want to see Rafa renew his association with the club, I simply do not see him taking a director of football position with a view to returning as coach in the future. Let's be honest, Rafa doesn't want to be part of the back-room staff. He wants to be analyzing teams, devising tactics and selecting players.Quite simply, he wants to manage. I don't see Rafa taking a step back, even if it means returning to LFC.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:11 pm

Liverpool's Head of Sports Medicine & Science Peter Brukner has been dismissed by the club

Of twitter, Looks legit with the number of journos talking about it.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:21 pm

This interview adds to the excitement imo.

LINK - http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/werner-on-comolli-kenny-and-semi

Tom, the news this morning that Damien Comolli is leaving the club will have come as a surprise to many fans. Can you explain why the decision was taken?

I think it's fair to say no supporter would be delighted with the results we've achieved this year. We feel we are a club that needs to be perceived as the strongest club in football and we want to get there. Frankly, we make these decisions with a great deal of care because it's our track record in Boston to give people authority and we've had great success with our manager, who was there for eight years, and our general manager, so we prefer stability. But when it's time to act, we need to act. We're coming close to the end of the season and the transfer window for the summer, and we felt it was important to make this change expeditiously.

In light of Damien's departure, do you still think there is a need for a director of football at this club?

We're still confident the structure we've discussed is the right structure. That doesn't mean we won't look at tweaking it, but we feel a collective group of people making football decisions is healthy. The debate is healthy. Part of the reason we made this decision now is because we want to start the process of finding an excellent replacement.

Do you have a candidate in mind for the role?

We don't have any specific candidates in mind. Part of the reason we made this decision yesterday was to be in the best possible position to move forward as quickly as possible.

Is Damien's departure a reflection that the ownership group were unhappy with the return on player investment?

I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football. I wouldn't want to get specific about any particular decision that's been made. We feel there is enough talent on the pitch to win and, as I said, we've been dissatisfied, as most supporters have been, with the results so far. But we're also talking about the future - we have a strategy we need implemented and we felt Damien was probably not the right person to implement that strategy.

Does Damien Comolli's departure have any impact upon Kenny Dalglish's position as manager?

Absolutely not. We've got great confidence in Kenny. We feel the team is going to make strides in the future and he enjoys our full support.

Do you envisage any other changes in the senior management of the club?

We do not. It's a good question. We believe the senior management is very strong, Ian Ayre is an outstanding managing director. His charge is to raise revenue so that we can put the resources into strengthening our football club. We've got great confidence in the other people in football operations, and so the answer is there will be no future changes of significance.

In terms of transfer activity this summer, will Damien's departure affect plans that are already underway?

We've had a strategy that we have agreed on. There was some disconnect on the implementation of that. That strategy is a strong one and it will continue. We need to build a strong system under the first team. We're hard at work identifying transfer targets and we will be better next year.

Finally, as chairman of Liverpool Football Club, do you have a message for the supporters ahead of the very important game on Saturday?

We're all excited about this match. We certainly feel the team is healthy and the team is committed. We just attended a practice where they are excited about returning to Wembley. There's only one team in England that has the possibility of winning this cup and the Carling Cup, and I think our supporters around the world should feel very confident.

Comolli was sacked, And the family reasons could be an excuse.

TRANSFERS? Razz
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:48 pm

This is very bad.

Comolli, our Director of Football, was there to give a direction to our club in terms of player development, scouting and transfers under our new owners, Henry & co. Sacking him (or him departing by mutual consent) puts us back on that front and, to me, admits that John W. Henry is not happy with the way we've spent our transfer budget, i.e. we have wasted some serious cash.

Moreover, Director of Football works closely with the manager, I think this is a question Comolli's departure poses: Will Kenny be cast aside after the season? Or will FSG be content with replacing "only the other half"?

In any case, this is depressing news; but it does reflect our season, in the end, which has been depressing on the most important front, which was the league and getting back to the Champions League.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:01 pm

Art Morte wrote:This is very bad.

Comolli, our Director of Football, was there to give a direction to our club in terms of player development, scouting and transfers under our new owners, Henry & co. Sacking him (or him departing by mutual consent) puts us back on that front and, to me, admits that John W. Henry is not happy with the way we've spent our transfer budget, i.e. we have wasted some serious cash.

Moreover, Director of Football works closely with the manager, I think this is a question Comolli's departure poses: Will Kenny be cast aside after the season? Or will FSG be content with replacing "only the other half"?

In any case, this is depressing news; but it does reflect our season, in the end, which has been depressing on the most important front, which was the league and getting back to the Champions League.
Werner's interview certainly shed some light on the situation.

It clearly shows that there is/was something wrong within the management of the club over the past year. The bad news is that we're apparently relegated to writing off many of the management's decisions over this time period. The sacking of our Director of Football is quite clear on that front.

However, I would argue that the decision to make the change now, with time to identify a new director and scout potential transfers, is actually a positive sign. If we can believe the statement by Werner, Commoli and the rest of management did not agree on the strategy and direction of the transfer program. In that case, finding a new director is actually damage control. Allowing Commoli to continue would be perpetuating at best a confused policy and at worst an utterly ineffective one. Perhaps it really was time to "cut bait."

Don't get me wrong, it's depressing news in that it is an admittance that we spent a year stagnating. However, would you rather allow the problem to continue or look for a new solution? If nothing else, this move shows that the owners are still engaged and willing to back moves to better the Football Club. Werner hinted that we have transfer targets, and a new Director of Football will mean that there will be some sort of investment in the summer.

As for Kenny, I think this actually bodes well for him to continue on as manager for another season. Honestly, I take this as a sign that they will not judge Kenny harshly over the performance this season. It seems that instead of blaming Kenny, they have identified the Director of Football position as a key problem and made what they saw as a necessary change. Of course, only time will tell, but I would be shocked if Henry & Co. drug out the decision. This move shows that they are all-too-willing to make changes in time for new policies to be enacted. If Kenny's goose is cooked, we will know it within days of the season ending (in reality or in terms of challenging for honors).
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:24 pm

Messiah "Aggerswagger" wrote:Well Rafa did always want all the transfers to be under his own supervision. Are we clearing up for Benitez to return? hmm

But seriously it's pretty bad news, I liked Comolli, he bought players Kenny wanted, they weren't his own buys.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:16 am

Okay. My take on it.

Tom Werner didn't feel Comolli was the right man to negotiate deals, and the way he handled the Suarez situation was not great. They didn't see him in the future, and were not happy about the way he handled some transfers. I mean, the opening bids being leaked [his fault or not] weren't the smartest of moves. Another leak saying that Dirk Kuyt has a 1m buy-out clause is again, not very good.

Reading the interview, there are some interesting points.

We've got great confidence in Kenny. We feel the team is going to make strides in the future and he enjoys our full support.

Just. Delighted. After the pressure of Kenny from the press, and NESV are still relatively new to the game, I'm absolutely stoked that they still feel he's the right man. This has not been the greatest of seasons. I mean, don't get me wrong, there's lots of positives to take from this season, but we're currently in 8th. Which is not where we want to be.

But when it's time to act, we need to act.

The owners can be ruthless, we all know that now. It's the way they've handled themselves at the Red Sox. A warning is now sent out to the players and the staff too. But they do it for the goodness of the club. Comolli was "broken" so decided to fix it. We do NOT need a DoF. We've never had one. Comolli was our first. I mean, spending 60m in the summer for the likes of Downing, Adam and Henderson is let's face it... not good enough. Especially for the reputation he came in for.

Though, it does look like they're looking for one after the "part of the reason we made this decision now is because we want to start the process of finding an excellent replacement."

I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football. I wouldn't want to get specific about any particular decision that's been made.
We're hard at work identifying transfer targets and we will be better next year.

Two points put into one. And this is for me, the best "points" after the Dalglish has the full backing. The first sentence tells me that the club can fight for any player they see fit... which begs the question, were our signings back-ups for other targets? Second sentence and the third shows they're not happy for what they've spent for the current group.

We need to build a strong system under the first team.

We're going to invest in more youth. Short and simple. We've already started this with the likes of Ibe and the other fellow that's 6'4 at 14 years of age. It's a long term project. And it looks like we're going to continue with that way.

In conclusion, Comolli was sacked. Warning goes out to every person involved at the club.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:50 am

David Dein rumoured to be the number one target to replace Comolli.

As I stated in the general section, Comolli being sacked is NOT a hit against sabermetrics being employed at the club. He certainly did not underpay for anyone, which is one of the key tenets for the system. Kenny may have identified players, but if was Comolli's job to scout them, analyze statistics, and determine/negotiate a fair price. I doubt anyone here would say that the club did a good job of that in the last 3 windows. If, and I do mean IF, Comolli was sacked for transfer-related issues, it probably means the owners are more determined to employ "moneyball" and are looking for someone who could better find the diamonds-in-the-rough and get better deals.

Also, the club have just said that Kenny has their full backing... why is it that football fans love to assume the worst?
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:46 am

There are rumours that Johan Cruyff is considering Liverpool, a truly great football-mind but I'm not sure what his job would be?
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:00 am

He would take over as Director of Football... Comolli's recently vacated position. Basically coordinating the football side of the club's overall operations... working on transfers, making sure there is a coherent plan, style and, philosophy in the academy, reserves, and first team, and organizing things as the manager needs.

He wouldn't have final say on many things, but would help set up and oversee scouting networks, bring potential transfer targets to the manager for review, and the like.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:58 am

The head of the Medical staff, Brukner has also been fired, as had the first team goalkeeping coach.

My two cents on the shake-up (take it for what you will):

Comolli's exit came down to a number of issues, ranging from the Suarez affair to his negotiation of transfer fees. His sacking may be harsh on him, but I'd rather see him go than Kenny. Comolli was the one to tell the FA that Suarez said "negrito" during the United match, and as much of a farce as that whole situation was, it's very hard to see them getting away with giving a 9 match ban without Damien's testimony. There are also reports that the clubs in-house lawyer was fired yesterday, which would imply that the Suarez affair certainly had a part to play in all of this.
On the transfer note, you all know I am not one to go on and on about transfer fees, and I do not believe that a player's success should be judged based on that, but the club did spend a great deal in Comolli's first two windows as Director of Football and has very little to show for it at the moment. Signings such as Henderson and Carroll definitely are signings that are for the future as much as the present but those like Adam and Downing need to have immediate impact. Further, Comolli's opening bid for Carroll was, according to Tony Barrett, £30m. Even with the way that deal was being financed that is a ridiculous way to handle bidding. And the owners couldn't have been happy to see Newcastle turn around and use that very same money to overtake Liverpool in the league. Of course one can make the case that some of Newcastle's signings will not perform as well next season and/or that Liverpool's will perform better, but the negotiations were simply handled in an absurd manner. Also, there seems to be a distinct disconnect between the approach of the reserves/youth sides and the senior team.
Also, there has been speculation that David Dein has been approached to take on a role at the club. If that's the case it would likely see Ian Ayre move back to his previous role as the Commercial Director while Dein took over his current role and Kenny received more power on the footballing side. The other name that seems to be mentioned most is Cruijff... I'm not going to lie, such an appointment would worry me. Cruijff would certainly bring the type of name-power to the club that could give Liverpool the needed bump to sign top-class players even without the CL. He also has a pedigree of bringing entertaining and successful football to the club's he's a part of and of finding top youth and bringing them in. That said, he has that disconcerting trait that many ex-greats have of speaking out on everything, even those he has no need to speak on. I worry that he could cause further discontent within the club and/or come to odds with Kenny. For a board and club that are trying to turn back to an "outdated" policy (not my words or feelings on it, mind you) of keeping things behind closed doors a man such as Cruijff would be an odd choice, to say the least.
Having said all of that, we all know very little of the actual situation and my points are but educated speculation. It is the nature of football fans that we cannot simply sit by and watch events play out without reacting and speculating, but we must keep in mind that merely jumping to conclusions does no-one any good. Let's not decide the world's ending, the King's being sacked, or anything of the like before we have a better picture of what's going on.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:11 pm

Don't know what to make of all this tbh. It will be interesting to see who will get the job.

Comolli could be a bit of a scapegoat although its hard for us to judge whether his sacking is fair or not.

At the end of the day I don't think losing Comolli will be a big loss so *bleep* it. I just hope all this doesn't affect the players tomorrow.

Last edited by Irish_Catalan_Scouser on Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:50 pm

Can't see how the firing of a DoF could have a real effect on the players. Manager? Absolutely. Coach? Sure. but Director of Football? Seems a bit too far removed to cause much issue, in my opinion.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:27 pm

Regarding potential new DOF or related hiring:

Knowing these owners rather well, I don't see them pursuing a name to fill Commoli's role. In their dealings with the Red Sox, they tend to look for management that can simply do the job. They haven't typically gone for "flashy," big-name management. For example, Francona was hired as the Red Sox's manager after managing the Phillies to several 3rd place finishes in their division and serving as a bench coach for several years after being fired from the Phillies in 2000. (The Red Sox Hired him in 2004, won the world series that year, and then won it again three years later.)

In short, I would be surprised to see them make a move for Cruyff. It just doesn't fit their typical modus operandi. I suppose if he truly fits the mold of what they were hoping to sign, they might hire him, but I don't think they would make the move based on his "star-power."
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:36 pm

RedOranje wrote:Can't see how the firing of a DoF could have a real effect on the players. Manager? Absolutely. Coach? Sure. but Director of Football? Seems a bit too far removed to cause much issue, in my opinion.

Well it may or may not have an affect and we're never going to know either way whether it will or not.

TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:07 am

Definitely not a scapegoat.

This was the first time in a long time we've had money to spend... and we definitely didn't spend it right. Downing and Carroll for 55m is simply a joke. We could of bought 2 or superior players with that cash.

Sure, you can blame Torres, and there was no time so we had to overspend blah blah, but there was no rush to spunk it on someone who had only played 19 games in the PL especially as our goal was to maintain a safe position in the PL - not get relegated thanks to Woy. Let's not forget that he came injured.* Torres also said he put it in a transfer request 2 weeks earlier, but it was rejected.

Bringing in Carroll basically ruined "Plan A"; we should of brought someone who had a similiar style to Torres, what Suarez was brought in to do. With Carroll in, we made a new "plan B" where we've had to apply a new style... which ended in us bringing in Stewart Downing, who has not doing anything spectacular in his career.

* Brukner anyone?
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:31 pm

donttreadonred wrote:Regarding potential new DOF or related hiring:

Knowing these owners rather well, I don't see them pursuing a name to fill Commoli's role. In their dealings with the Red Sox, they tend to look for management that can simply do the job. They haven't typically gone for "flashy," big-name management. For example, Francona was hired as the Red Sox's manager after managing the Phillies to several 3rd place finishes in their division and serving as a bench coach for several years after being fired from the Phillies in 2000. (The Red Sox Hired him in 2004, won the world series that year, and then won it again three years later.)

In short, I would be surprised to see them make a move for Cruyff. It just doesn't fit their typical modus operandi. I suppose if he truly fits the mold of what they were hoping to sign, they might hire him, but I don't think they would make the move based on his "star-power."

bobby valentine was a step away from that this year, and he's already causing problems with boston fans. probably will cement their opinion of not going after star power.

i'm going to be honest, i'm not sure why people are taking this as a "bad omen" about our season or a reason to conclude that we've been stagnating. just because comolli got sacked does not change what we've all watched happening. we know exactly where we stand in terms of play on the field, results, and specific players, and losing our DoF does not change any of those things. we know where we are, we know how we can move forward - this is just one of those steps. it's not like we're going to try and reset to before comolli and have to start rebuilding again. this practically changes nothing with the team from the past, only the future.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:06 am

This'll definitely kill your mood...

IT’S BEEN five months since Damien Comolli was shown the door at Liverpool FC but the cost of the Frenchman’s reign as director of football continues to cut deep.

Brendan Rodgers has paid a heavy price this summer for the financial mismanagement of the club prior to his arrival. The boss’ attempts to overhaul his squad prior to last night’s transfer deadline were severely hampered by budgetary constraints. A number of attractive deals in recent weeks had to be abandoned due to a lack of funds.

Rodgers has had to wheel and deal, off-loading fringe players in order to boost the £20million transfer kitty he was given.

However, that challenge was made even more difficult by the acute lack of value in players who Liverpool had previously paid a fortune for.

Between January and August 2011 the Reds shelled out £113million on transfers as Fenway Sports Group gave the green light to the biggest spending spree in Anfield history.

The subsequent poor return on that investment in the Premier League last season led to Comolli’s sacking in April followed by the exit of Kenny Dalglish.

The manager pinpointed the signings he wanted but it was left to Comolli to negotiate and complete the deals. FSG had expected a lot more bang for their buck.

This summer it’s been a case of once bitten, twice shy. Funds haven’t been as readily available as the owners want Liverpool to live within their means.

Recent events have been a damning indictment of the business Liverpool did under the previous regime as Rodgers has set about dismantling Dalglish’s team.

Andy Carroll and Charlie Adam departed this week and Jordan Henderson would have gone as well if he hadn’t rejected a move to Fulham.

Stewart Downing is now a £20million full-back.

Newcastle’s managing director Derek Llambias dines out on stories about the night he sold Carroll for a British record £35million. He took full advantage of Comolli’s desperation to do business.

It was a panic buy following the exit of Fernando Torres for a rookie with only half a season of top flight experience. Newcastle couldn’t believe their luck.

Rodgers was clear from the outset that Carroll wasn’t for him but as Liverpool tried to offload him this summer there were few takers. The only clubs to register an interest were West Ham, Newcastle, Fulham and Aston Villa. No-one put a permanent bid on the table, forcing the Reds to accept the Hammers’ offer of a £1million fee for a season-long loan. There is no commitment on their part to buy him next summer.

Similarly, there was hardly a battle for Adam’s services. The Scottish midfielder was out of his depth at Anfield and was never going to be mobile enough to fit into Rodgers’ playing style. A year after arriving from Blackpool for £8million amid talk he was the new Xabi Alonso, Liverpool got half their cash back courtesy of Stoke City.

Henderson remains at Anfield but the fact that the Reds were willing to offer him plus cash for Clint Dempsey speaks volumes.

When Sunderland contemplated losing Henderson last summer, Steve Bruce told his chairman he believed they could get £4million for him. Imagine his delight when Comolli offered £14million and then swiftly improved that bid to £16million.

Comolli was FSG’s first senior appointment back in November 2010. The Frenchman convinced them he would get value for money. That he would unearth hidden gems and sign players who would have a high sell-on value. Comolli failed miserably and Rodgers has had to pick up the pieces.

Read more: Liverpool Echo http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/09/01/blood-red-brendan-rodgers-rebuilding-plans-hampered-by-failures-of-previous-liverpool-fc-regime-100252-31739935/2/#ixzz2Bnifur3N

Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next