barca 2011
tonger
zarola
daneq
LeSwagg James
14 posters

Go down

Good Idea?

European League Games In North America Vote_lcap47%European League Games In North America Voting_bar 47% 
[ 7 ]
European League Games In North America Vote_lcap53%European League Games In North America Voting_bar 53% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 15

European League Games In North America Empty European League Games In North America

Post by LeSwagg James Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:36 am

I've been thinking for a while now it would be a pretty good idea to help grow the sport here a little more, what do you guys think? The NBA has had regular season games in Europe and plan to do it more in the coming years with some games in other places as well..

I think it would be a big hit for select games like say El Clasico in Cowboy's Stadium which is one of the nicest in the world.. Texas has a huge latino population and is close to the boarder so it would still have that "Spanish feel", plus the general public would be interested I'm sure..

Any thoughts?
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

European League Games In North America Empty Re: European League Games In North America

Post by daneq Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:51 am

Good idea? Yeah, sure. Only problem is that it's pretty evident that UEFA and FIFA don't give a F about North America...
daneq
daneq
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

European League Games In North America Empty Re: European League Games In North America

Post by LeSwagg James Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:06 am

They like money don't they?
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by zarola Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:16 am

They already do this.
zarola
zarola
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by tonger Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:36 am

zarola wrote:They already do this.

pretty sure he meant league games not friendlies
tonger
tonger
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by barca 2011 Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:50 am

IDK about league games, but definitely friendlies. League games don't make too much sense. At least in the states, it probably wouldn't be worth it. People just don't follow it as much. Friendlies are different though.
barca 2011
barca 2011
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:55 am

@Zarola - Like Tonger said, I'm talking about competitive games

@ Barca2011 - I think people are more likely to take interest in a meaningful league game than a worthless friendly at the beginning of the season (which is what they have now)...
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Interista809 Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:14 am

In thinking its a good idea but I don't think in reality it would. I live here in the US and I would be thrilled to get such a game but I don't think the locals, ex Madrid or Barcelona, would be too thrilled.

In baseball they have played regular season season games in Japan. As a fan of the teams that played in does games I wasn't happy about it.
Interista809
Interista809
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:20 am

Sorry official games should and will only happen in their country.
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:08 am

Doesn't make sense to have a German League game in north america does it

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by 7amood11 Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:11 am

And North America is way too far away to have games played there... Players will be suffering from jet lag.
7amood11
7amood11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:15 am

With the issues of a heavy schedule and player fatigue I doubt that it would be easy to encourage big clubs to buy into this idea. If they were perhaps scheduled at the beginning of the season then perhaps the teams would be less apprehensive, however this also reduces some of the spectacle, especially if the games were grouped in one month of the year instead of having a true league feel.

Some mid-table teams who don't face the issues of playing in several competitions might wish to make some money however, though it's still strange to play league games in another country where they have no emotional attachment to the spectators.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:17 am

platter suggested that once and the whole sporting body blasted him for being a greedy bastard
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:31 am

Swagg_Johnson wrote:I've been thinking for a while now it would be a pretty good idea to help grow the sport here a little more, what do you guys think? The NBA has had regular season games in Europe and plan to do it more in the coming years with some games in other places as well..

I think it would be a big hit for select games like say El Clasico in Cowboy's Stadium which is one of the nicest in the world.. Texas has a huge latino population and is close to the boarder so it would still have that "Spanish feel", plus the general public would be interested I'm sure..

Any thoughts?

No, no and no. BAD idea.

US has already hosted a WC and featured in the last six (including 1994 WC as host). MSL has lots of (aging) European stars. Even after all these, if there is problems in making football (more) popular, then there are some serious issues. It's the proverbial 'you can take the donkey to the water but you can't make it drink' . Staging games like Barcelona-Madrid, Liverpool-ManU, CL/EL finals will only deprive the real stake-holders.

Baseball is an obscure game compared to football. Apart from US, it's popular in only hand-full of nations (Venezuela, Cuba, Japan). ICC (International Cricket Council) tried this by staging games in US, UAE, Canada and barely improved the game in those countries.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:54 am

7amood11 wrote:And North America is way too far away to have games played there... Players will be suffering from jet lag.

It wouldn't be a yearly thing for teams.. Like one year it could be Real-Barca, the other Milan-Inter..
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Messi Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:56 am

"Soccer" will be the most popular sport in parts of the USA over the next 20 years.
1.Baseball is dying, most of the young guys don't care for it. I'm a NYer 19 years old.
2.Basketball is really exciting but it takes forever (3 hours each game and 7 games to see which team qualifies) + being "non black" gives you a statistical disadvantage.
3.No one cares for hockey except white people.
4.Football is only 3 month.
The main reason that holds football back so much in the states is the media mockery. They have this weird obsession with the words "soccer is long & boring". They don't realize that a NFL game is only 12 minutes + 2 hr 48 mins of commercials.
Basketball game is only 48 mins. but some how they make it into 3 hours.
I hate the interputions of the game.
Most of all they don't understand the strategies and the genius of how a team operates.
But honestly, I don't want it to be popular in the US, have you heard what american commentators sound like?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9bH5w9azb0
yeah...........awful
Plus, you think fifa is money hungry, you should see the super bowl commercial prices.
I can see it now barca is passing the ball in midfield. The game goes to commercials 10 minutes later, Messi is in the box and scores. 2 Commercials 2 min later. Replay of goal. Barca again have the ball passing it back and front. Game goes to commercial. Repeat process.
Messi
Messi
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:02 am

Dude........less stereotypes, no?

Me and my cousin actually used to follow Hockey. Razz
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down