OLpower
Bellabong
mr-r34
BarcaKizz
Forza
pasquale22
10 posters

Go down

Beckham rates A-League as high as MLS Empty Beckham rates A-League as high as MLS

Post by pasquale22 Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:41 am

LA Galaxy's former England international David Beckham has said he believes the A-League is on par with the US's Major League Soccer ahead of his side's friendly with Australian club Melbourne Victory on Tuesday.

The 36-year-old former Manchester United, Real Madrid and AC Milan star played in previous Galaxy encounters with A-League opposition Sydney FC and Newcastle Jets.

Beckham said he had been impressed on both occasions particularly by the Sky Blues who beat them 5-3 in 2007.

"That was a really tough game. We kind of got battered really. Every time we’ve played here we expect it to be the same," Beckham told reporters.

“The standard is similar to what it is in the US. The game’s growing and that’s what’s great to see. People around the world are talking about both leagues and that’s a sign of the growth of the game in both countries.”

Galaxy's next opponents Victory are in unconvincing form in the A-League this term with two wins, five draws and two losses from nine matches despite the glamour signing of Socceroo Harry Kewell.

Nonetheless, Beckham said he's expecting another tough assignment against Australian opposition.

“We’re expecting a tough game. Everytime we’ve come here we’ve had difficult games,” Beckham said.

He continued: “We know they [Victory] have players who can cause us many problems and we know obviously they had a disappointing loss on the weekend.

“Harry’s [Kewell] had a successful career and he’s home now so I’m sure he’s content and his family’s content but he’s a winner, he’s still playing at a high level.

“They’re a very strong team, especially playing in front of their own fans. And we know they have a very passionate fan-base."

Meanwihle, on the topic of his own career with his contract at Galaxy expiring and speculation linking him with Paris Saint-Germain, Beckham insisted he remained undecided.

"I said I'd get this season and this tour out of the way and then have some family time and obviously make a big decision," Beckham said.

---

I think the fact we've attracted Beckham here 3 years straight alone tells of the growth of football here. Game starts soon, eagerly anticipate it,
Know of alot of friends going but Apparantly ticket prices for very expensive. Probably around 25-30 thousand people will attend
pasquale22
pasquale22
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Beckham rates A-League as high as MLS Empty Re: Beckham rates A-League as high as MLS

Post by Forza Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:48 am

25-30k ppl? that would be dissapointing. i remember when LA played Sydney a few yrs ago and 80k ppl turned up

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/beckham-bends-it-like-beckham/story-e6frf7jo-1111114979685
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Beckham rates A-League as high as MLS Empty Re: Beckham rates A-League as high as MLS

Post by pasquale22 Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:58 am

Melbourne crowds always turn out however, High prices will keep people away. I know it kept me away. 80$ minimum ticket I think it was
pasquale22
pasquale22
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by pasquale22 Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:04 pm

34,500 crowd
pasquale22
pasquale22
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:24 pm

Seriously... one club needs to make him a sly offer while he's here. He'd do wonders for football in Oz and he'd love living here too.

I'd agree with him that the top teams are as good as MLS teams, but the difference is depth... The MLS has so many more teams, more money and less struggling teams. The only problem with the A-League is... there aren't many big cities in Australia and NZ, so there's a bit of a limit to expansion, but it will happen and I hope we get close to an 18 team league in the next 20-30 years.
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by pasquale22 Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:27 pm

well it seems to have taken a step up this year the aleague. lets hope it continues. speaking of luring a player here..... donovan actually said that he'd love to play here
pasquale22
pasquale22
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-r34 Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:55 pm

and they say melb is the sports capital of Australia, only attracting 35k to a beckham game pffttt.
mr-r34
mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by pasquale22 Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:04 pm

mr-r34 wrote:and they say melb is the sports capital of Australia, only attracting 35k to a beckham game pffttt.
Jelous? minimum price for a ticket was $80, work night. 35k is actually not to bad. Ahh everyone envy's us melbournians. i bet your from Sydney. this isnt even an argument anyway. we all know melbourne is the sporting capital.. ohh not to mention we were voted most liveable city :coffee:
pasquale22
pasquale22
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:14 pm

mr-r34 wrote:and they say melb is the sports capital of Australia, only attracting 35k to a beckham game pffttt.

EPL ticket prices.
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by OLpower Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:16 pm

Is a Beckham game still supposed to be a sporting event ?
OLpower
OLpower
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:27 pm

He's right, IMO. I wonder if South Africa's the same.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by NiallQuinnsdiscoPants Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:32 pm

Shocked Didnt know Kewell had moved to the A league
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by elm_baraja_shaman Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:42 pm

Lord Hispano wrote:He's right, IMO. I wonder if South Africa's the same.

what are u trying to say?
elm_baraja_shaman
elm_baraja_shaman
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack Daniels Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:44 pm

OLpower wrote:

Is a Beckham game still supposed to be a sporting event ?
He was in the Philippines a few days ago. Very Happy

I met the dude. Awesome lol
Jack Daniels
Jack Daniels
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down