OT: What position should Masche play for Argentina? - Page 2 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

OT: What position should Masche play for Argentina?

+7
ChollaVille
Mr Nick09
shinigami99
Ganso
JAY-Z
Albiceleste
BarrileteCosmico
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Which.... ?

OT: What position should Masche play for Argentina? - Page 2 Vote_lcap53%OT: What position should Masche play for Argentina? - Page 2 Voting_bar 53% 
[ 8 ]
OT: What position should Masche play for Argentina? - Page 2 Vote_lcap47%OT: What position should Masche play for Argentina? - Page 2 Voting_bar 47% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 15

Poll closed

OT: What position should Masche play for Argentina? - Page 2 Empty Re: OT: What position should Masche play for Argentina?

Post by messixaviesta Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:40 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:The third midfielder could be a DM in the mold of Biglia or Gago if Batista wishes to keep the same kind of format. I personally see Pastore as being a super-sub type in Batista's eyes and actually see him getting the most minutes amongst the subs, but not necessarily a starter.

I'm also wondering how important experience with the other CB is, and whether any of the possible 4 have it. As it stands right now, I don't think Argentina can boast of having a 'CB partnership'. Perhaps this would be easier to build with 2 players who have played the role all their lives? If Masche is not used as a CB, I think it should be Parejo + Burdisso, simply because they get regular football and have years worth of experience that Garay doesn't. Milito does not factor into my considerations, but I worry that he does for Batista.

Even so, right now I think we would be better off with Mascherano in the CB slot, simply because there is more quality to replace in the midfield than in the back.

alfred, wonderful post.

I had forgotten about Gago but you are right. The problem with Gago and Garay is that while they are players that are considered suitable they just haven't played enough during the season. I too think that Batista takes G.Milito more seriously than we do.

I am not sure if I can agree with your conclusion. dani says repeatedly Mascherano will struggle against tall forwards with a physical presence and I think he is quite right. Maybe we need to do a proper comparison to see if the squad has enough CBs who can do any better. Since I don't know much about the local players, you, shini or someone else can help here.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

OT: What position should Masche play for Argentina? - Page 2 Empty Re: OT: What position should Masche play for Argentina?

Post by messixaviesta Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:41 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:I don't think Costa was even called up.

Very strange how he keeps ignoring some players in spite of not having a very complete squad. Lucho immediately comes to mind.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by shinigami99 Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:11 pm

Costa was called up for the U-25 "B" team and I heard he didn't play so good.
It's batista's fault though. He announced the list for copa america before those matches started and that must have sucked any ambition out of the players in the B team.
shinigami99
shinigami99
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:48 pm

Yep, thats what I was thinking, honestly it was more of the C team. The B team is the local players in Argentina and the C was just mostly the ones who didn't make the Copa cut

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:03 pm

Well JD how many tall forwards are Argentina likely to face?

Brazil, which poses the most threat to Argentina, does not have a tall forward line (Neymar and Robinho are shorter, Pato is only 3cms taller and Fred stands towering at 1.85, but is not likely to start).

Uruguay have Cavani at 1.88. Forlan and Suarez are about 1.80 each. Masche is 1.74. I think those 6 cms would not make him struggle too much with anyone but Cavani.

Chile only have one player that makes 1.80. Their other 5 forwards are within Masche's reach, or even shorter than him.

Colombia, in Argentina's group, pose the most aerial threat, with two forwards at 1.85 and another at 1.80. But I'm not very familiar with their team so I have no idea who's likely to start.

Costa Rica, also in Argentina's group, have one player at 1.88 and another at 1.83, but their other 4 called up forwards are within Masche's reach.

Finally Bolivia have one player at 1.87 at another at 1.83, but other than that pose no threat.

But frankly these last 2 Argentina should have no problems with. Colombia, which many tip to be a 'dark horse' should also be no problem. And amongst the teams that 'count' only Uruguay can boast of posing an aerial threat.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:13 pm

alfred, excellent detailed analysis. A great read.

What this means though is you are seeing this as a short term solution. Within the next three years Argentina will have to zero down on a quality first choice center back pairing as soon as possible. Once that happens Mascherano will return to midfield.

Actually I don't expect Mascherano to stay with Barcelona beyond the summer of 2013 unless he has somehow found a way to break into the starting eleven which is very unlikely. That last year he will go to a team where he can play for the entire season as a first choice midfielder so that he is fully prepared when WC 2014 rolls along. Now that I consider things from his point of view it all begins to make sense and he comes across as a pretty shrewd guy. When moving to Barcelona he probably knew well in his mind that he would struggle to get minutes. What it did do was give his family the kind of environment they wanted and never got in England and of course more importantly him the titles that he really wanted on his resume. Sensibly he never made a fuss asking for more playing time. Now once he has won the trophies and enjoyed time with the best team in the world, he will once again focus on his career and move somewhere where he can play a major role as a first teamer. Being an Argentine and that too national team captain, his international career is probably his top priority. Hence I can't see him staying with us beyond the summer of 2013.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:59 pm

Possibly, but Masche really loves being at Barca. He called it the riskiest move in his career, because at one point it seemed as though he would lose everything (playing time and possibly NT captainship) yet in the end he played a CL final and won 2 very big titles while playing a pivotal role. Not to mention that, as a player, the move has also forced him to become more complete. That being said I agree with your assessment that he will want regular football before 2014.

Long term, I'm hoping that some of the 'young promises' really live up to their potential so we don't have this problem again. We should have good defenders come 2014.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:55 am

alfred, thanks for the reply. Your comments make very good sense.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2