What u think about fans changing clubs to support?

+19
iftikhar
Firenze
Nishankly
titosantill
futbol
Doc
Sina
Perucho21
Art Morte
chad4401
terrance511
futbol_bill
zenmaster
Unique
El Gunner
silver
Robespierre
Jay29
BarcaLearning
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What u think about fans changing clubs to support? Empty What u think about fans changing clubs to support?

Post by BarcaLearning Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:46 am

What made me curious and wanna see what everyone thinks about this topic, which is should fans be supporting one club for life or freely changing clubs to support when they feel like, or somewhere in between? It is actually reading that Man U (not trolling but just dont really understand why) still is making huge amounts of money, with many worldwide fans, still being able to stay being such a big brand name? This is just one example, but a very good example I think. I mean they were successful for so long under Fergie, and the brand name effect and support can last a long time in people's minds, but considering its now been almost a decade that they have been mediocrity and their football has been mostly crap and boring since, I just struggle to understand why they are still so vastly supported? Its like a lot of ppl simply support them blindly because of the brand?

Personally I started watching football supporting Liverpool for a few reasons, I was young and just happened to watch them first with liked the color of their shirt and general club image, as well as some of their players I really liked, so it was pure chance thing, and I didnt know much about football. After a few years most of the players I liked left the club and Liverpool were playing less attractive football and just were disappointing, and so I stopped following them and became neutral because it was no longer enjoyable. Not until I happened to start watching La Liga and luck had it again It happened to coincide just before Pep's first year taking charge, and no explanation needed there, I fell in love.

I been criticized between in this forum for switching clubs to support and glory hunting etc Very Happy Which I understand for a lot ppl, they prefer and think one should stay loyal to a club, no matter what in some cases, especially if say you're local with the club, and one probably shouldnt change club to support 'whenever' he likes or whenever a team wins, etc. But to see so many ppl just being in agony following clubs that just tend to be crap and boring for lack of better words Razz (just to mention not just Man U but many clubs I mean), I just feel is it so necessary? Shouldnt it be more enjoyable and feel for a fan to choose?

Every one has their own reasons and preferences for supporting and following a club or team. Would love to hear your thoughts.
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

What u think about fans changing clubs to support? Empty Re: What u think about fans changing clubs to support?

Post by Jay29 Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:15 am

Support who you like, whenever you like. Or, to put it another way, do what you enjoy. If following teams during bad times and watching shit football every week isn't for you, then don't do it.

I have nothing against fans like that. I believe that if they take a genuine interest in other teams, learn about them and their history, the culture surrounding it, etc. then why not follow them? Or maybe there's a club that resonates with you more. A lot of fans here in the UK inherit their support from their families, rather than pick a club of their own. I had a friend in school who supported Arsenal as I did, but one day decided he wanted to support West Ham because he felt closer to them, and I think that's perfectly reasonable.

If you're changing clubs just to see them winning, then that's different. There's enjoyment to seeing good teams win, sure, but for me it's a shallow kind of enjoyment. People invest a lot of time and energy into their support so they can experience those euphoric highs when they win, so they're naturally resistant to fans who aren't like them and who will skip town the moment things go south.

There are limits. I had plenty of times in the last two years where I considered not watching Arsenal, because it seemed such a waste of time. But I've been a part of the community surrounding the club for so long I could never pull myself away.

I think it's the same for United fans, as well. A lot of them aren't enjoying watching their club, but if you have friends and family who support the club as well, it's tough to just stop watching.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

What u think about fans changing clubs to support? Empty Re: What u think about fans changing clubs to support?

Post by Robespierre Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:21 am

I will be moderate with it but I think people who change clubs to support are gonna finish on some circle of hell
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by silver Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:57 am

When you grow up supporting a club, learning their history, cheering their players, stay up all night watching the games, getting nervous on transfer deadline days, jumping around the room when they score that winning goal, living through the highest of highs etc...

If the entire team has changed, the coach has changed, the football has changed, even just for nostalgic reasons its very hard to let go and just support another team.

And if you can, maybe you weren't that big of a fan to begin with...
silver
silver
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:29 am

it depends on how deep you've embedded yourself, your time, your passion and your interest into the club i guess.

If that investment was never too strongly-rooted, and your club isn't providing you with the sufficient joy in supporting them anymore, then i guess it will be easier for you to find your time and investment well-spent somewhere else.

I will never be able to support another football club i believe, and even though Arsenal has tested my companionship with them by watching or not watching them in the last year or so (many from the Arsenal section will know of this), in my spare time when i took a break from watching them i still checked their results every now and then, and checked how they're fairing in the standings. So, i believe i will always be in a relationship with Arsenal. I've developed my identity through a community with them throughout most of my life, started watching when I was 5. So even if we drop so low that we become a middle-table team, and if we ever get relegated in my lifetime, I might begin to watch less and less (mostly depending on our style of play, whether we play entertaining football or not), but I will still be rooting for them spiritually and i will still keep up to date with their results.

Last edited by El Gunner on Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:37 am; edited 2 times in total
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:35 am

its not very often you see someone switch from madrid to everton but you will see people go from everton to madrid so that tells you all you need to know. a true football fan will love one club and thats it but glory hunters will switch clubs thats my opinion.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by zenmaster Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:50 pm

I enjoy the club which plays good football. Enjoyed Barcelona few years back and now enjoying Man City / Liverpool as i like they build up for the goal.

Also for me as i follow individual , follow them as well. For example i will watch Arsenal because i love Auba or Alt Madrid because Felix is playing.

zenmaster
zenmaster
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:16 pm

I've been a life time supporter of Real Madrid (in addition to my local team) and a socio of club for past 25 years. But these past two seasons have severely limited my interest to the point that I sold my season tickets for this season. I'm not leaving the club (at least not yet), but I am definitely in the background with little interest.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by terrance511 Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:28 pm

i only support real madrid my whole life.
when they are in shit, like real shit, i stop watching for a while, but will pay attention closely to anything that if the table had turn. once a while over the years, i also watch or cheers for team like arsenal or ac milan of last decade

as for glory hunting, i think it's fine cause every peoples can have their own way pursuing their favourite.

eg, u can have white theme room yesterday for your team, and sudden switch to full red today, that just mean you max love for white team yesterday are out and now your full love is for new red team, who the fuk should judge how u feel?

what detest me will be peoples who like to define/judge if you or anybody else were good enough to be certain club fans, super fan or whatever shitty insecure term.
terrance511
terrance511
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:29 pm

futbol_bill wrote:I've been a life time supporter of Real Madrid (in addition to my local team) and a socio of club for past 25 years. But these past two seasons have severely limited my interest to the point that I sold my season tickets for this season. I'm not leaving the club (at least not yet), but I am definitely in the background with little interest.
even prehistoric old fart like you are willing to jump ship these days. what has football come to. :coffee:
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by chad4401 Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:06 pm

futbol_bill wrote:I've been a life time supporter of Real Madrid (in addition to my local team) and a socio of club for past 25 years. But these past two seasons have severely limited my interest to the point that I sold my season tickets for this season. I'm not leaving the club (at least not yet), but I am definitely in the background with little interest.

I know Bill watching benzema scoring all those goals live, must have been real heart breaking and add the fact that a lot of young Spanish scrubs failing, I wouldn't waste money either Laughing.

Anyway I like real madrid don't care how bad it gets or who is playing or who is manager, I will always follow them regardless and believe they always have a chance to win it all, don't need a neymar or mbappe or cr to be in the team rate them, cause footy is a team game and the club is bigger than any player.

As others have said in the thread its fine to support whomever and any amount of teams you like, not like supporting one team makes you more of a fan or anything, I used to follow manu cause of my older bro, then like rvn as a player didn't like how SAF treated him, when he ended up in real madrid, I have following the team as a fan since, nice team with good fighting spirit, just the fans are overly spoiled, make supporting the team a drag and the madrid media is retarded.
chad4401
chad4401
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:27 pm

If someone changes the club they support, I don't see why I would give a shit. Support who you like and enjoy. I won't take you very seriously as a football fan, though, but I won't mock you, either.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Perucho21 Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:43 pm

It's common here in the states that everyone I know has a favorite TOP team from each league and to be honest, it does get annoying at times. I have a friend who is a United and Real fan. Back when United were actually a good team, they would get eliminated from.CL and my friend would say, well at least I have madrid left in the competition. That bothers me a bit to be honest. If a fan supported a small club along with a big club I believe its acceptable

Personally I've never supported any other team than Madrid. When I was old enough to understand the sport (late 90s) Real Madrid were my go to team. Im from Peru but my dad and uncles never really cared for European football, mostly focusing on the NT and Peruvian league (because of that I follow Peru and Alianza Lima passionately) It mostly had to do with the fact that I followed media outlets from Latin America as a kid (fox deportes, espn deportes, Univision) and pretty much everything about European football was either Real or Barcelona. At the time, Real were winning so you can yeah as a kid I chose the bandwagon team but to this day I stuck with them even through the low points like seeing Barca win everything in sight while we cant even get passed the r016 of the CL. I cant imagine myself being a fan of another European team.

Not giving up on Real is easy to say because they are constantly competing for top titles. However I can honestly say that even if the worse happened I'd still be watching and being a passionate fan

Perucho21
Perucho21
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:46 pm

Very Happy Interesting. Reading the good comments above its easy to realize the local fans would have much more long term and wholesome attachment with their team. I guess its quite different for fans like me that only get to watch on TV from afar. I actually feel a bit lucky in terms of then I wouldnt be as fixated to one club, there are still influences from ppl but its totally to a much less extend, meaning I wouldnt be 'forced' to follow the main local team due to my social circle etc. Razz I can switch or follow a few teams I like more freely.

I say that because I always thought if I stayed a Liverpool fans, the years of suffering would have been too much since its not until the past couple of years that they have finally climbed back out of underachievement due to pressure from the past. It feels Man U/Arsenal/Chelsea, etc., are now in that position kinda, if u know what I mean. I wouldnt like to be a support under the circumstances if its YEARS of frustration. The main thing is to be enjoyable, although I understand some do not focus solely on that and they also get enjoyment from mid or lower table teams they support for the various reasons depending on their experiences and situation.

Personally though if I see a friend whos following a team thats frustrating, I advise him to follow Barca Razz Although obviously Barca can also end up in a down cycle. And yes too much glory hunting shouldnt be the norm, despite being personal free will.

Apart from being local, I really think the main few attributes that makes a club and team attractive are - good football or a football style/manager one likes, stars, fighting spirit, and then the more general things like image and brand, all of which Im very happy to say Ive become more and more appreciative the longer I watch the beautiful game Smile
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:51 pm

i think its only acceptable before certain age(for kids basically)to change since they can be influenced by parents,friends etc but after that when you actually choose where your heart belongs i dont know how that can change

obviously nothing wrong with being admirer of different teams at different times but to support and have affinity for different club i cant see how that works as jay says that would probably bring  shallow kind of enjoyment
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:57 pm

The amount of time often many years or even decades many of us fans have been following a club really makes that a lifetime attachment. I really think its ok though to support not just one team, to have a spare one from another league or something if ur team fails, otherwise it can become too boring or depressing Razz
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:59 pm

It's legit difficult to just drop a team you have formed an emotional connection towards. I'm still a passionate West Indies supporter despite my many "I am done with this team" statements. So I honestly believe those who switch teams (to which there is no harm in that at all despite the naysayers) have yet to find that one team that they truly love.

As long as I remember, I was a Madrid fan. Just fell for them without even knowing who exactly they were tbh. And yes, Real Madrid wasn't exactly huge in this part of the world as English & Italian teams plus Barcelona were the real craze here especially the English teams for obvious reasons. Alas, still loving that pos club and have yet to feel the same way for any other club since.

I still hope Spurs and Lyon just go away though.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:20 am

Unique wrote:
even prehistoric old fart like you are willing to jump ship these days. what has football come to. :coffee:

How would you know? I understand you English hooligans only go to games to get drunk and start fights, kind of like your behaviour on this forum. Welcome back by the way. How long do you think you will be around this time?
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:00 am

futbol_bill wrote:
Unique wrote:

How would you know? I understand you English hooligans only go to games to get drunk and start fights, kind of like your behaviour on this forum. Welcome back by the way. How long do you think you will be around this time?
futbol_bill wrote:
Unique wrote:

well us english hooligans dont seem to get into any fights when we play at home when we out number the other fans 200 to 1. but we do end up in fights when we play away and we are out numbered 200 to 1. now im not saying you are a senile old git but im sure even you can see who the trouble starters are. now if i were the one to start trouble i would do it when we out number them by 200 to 1. i wouldent start trouble when we are out numbered by 200 to 1. anyway im hoping to stick around for as long as it takes madrid to win the next title. so thats a fucking long time billy boy Laughing
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:55 am

Unique wrote:

well us immigrant troublemakers dont seem to get into any fights when we are at home in our countries when we out number the other populations 100 to 1. but we do end up in fights when we live away and we are out numbered 100 to 1. now im not saying you are a senile old git but im sure even you can see who the trouble starters are. now if i were the one to start trouble i would do it when we out number them by 100 to 1. i wouldent start trouble when we are out numbered by 100 to 1. anyway im hoping to stick around for as long as it takes britain to become great again once it leaves the EU. so thats a fucking long time Laughing

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:33 pm

Switching teams makes for good banter between fans of any sport. As a result, it is necessary ; anything that makes for good non violent banter and back and forths is always welcome in sports

Like our friend the mourinho fan who supported inter then madrid then chelsea and is now waiting for a club to follow (he was also a kaka fan). Situations like that make for interesting conversations

I personally cant invest my time in another club the way I have madrid. It isnt necessarily a case of being loyal for me, but a union of convenience. I have an idea of how things operate or what to expect, and just cant start investing that time elsewhere. I'll still watch other teams, but wont be as vested

But imo a fair weather fan is better than a delusional fanatic any day of the week. Fair weather fans usually have a good sense of humor.
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:36 pm

Oh I must add, I've also spent so many years hating barcelona and Valencia, that the only time I could ever consider supporting them is if my son ever played for them
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:42 pm

titosantill wrote:Oh I must add, I've also spent so many years hating barcelona and Valencia, that the only time I could ever consider supporting them is if my son ever played for them

I think I genuinely dislike Valencia more than Barcelona.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:52 pm

I have no problem if they stop following Football due to lack of interest or other responsibilities that take away that free time. I have no problem if they enjoy watching other teams other than their own but if they change the team they support after a decent amount of time supporting them, they're dead to me in terms in Football.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:38 pm

futbol wrote:
Unique wrote:

well us immigrant troublemakers dont seem to get into any fights when we are at home in our countries when we out number the other populations 100 to 1. but we do end up in fights when we live away and we are out numbered 100 to 1. now im not saying you are a senile old git but im sure even you can see who the trouble starters are. now if i were the one to start trouble i would do it when we out number them by 100 to 1. i wouldent start trouble when we are out numbered by 100 to 1. anyway im hoping to stick around for as long as it takes britain to become great again once it leaves the EU. so thats a fucking long time Laughing
We shall Defend our island what ever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches we shall fight In the fields and in the streets we shall fight in the hills we shall never surrender. Proud
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next