Will Barca still play the same type of football once Messi retires?

+7
Vlad the Impaler
Great Leader Sprucenuce
jibers
Hapless_Hans
zigra
RealGunner
guest7
11 posters

Go down

Will Barca still play the same type of football once Messi retires? Empty Will Barca still play the same type of football once Messi retires?

Post by guest7 Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:02 pm

Interesting question for me actually, as we've already seen other "attractive football" teams become defensive once the trophies wasn't coming in (for example Real Madrid)

Barca are so dependant on Messi these days I wonder if their football style will still work once he retires. They have Neymar and Suarez too but none of them has the impact Messi has on them. Messi even playmaking these days to make up for the lack of Xavi

Do you think they will keep the same style once Messi retires? I don't tbh
guest7
guest7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Will Barca still play the same type of football once Messi retires? Empty Re: Will Barca still play the same type of football once Messi retires?

Post by RealGunner Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:08 pm

I don't think it has anything to do with Messi personally. I think the football barcelona played relied on Xavi and Iniesta. Ever since Xavi retired, barcelona's football has changed. Last season IMO barcelona didn't play the best of football. Their forwards showed great skill and flair and combined well to make the final third exciting. However the football barcelona played with prime xavi was miles better and different to the football they have been playing recently

So IMO it doesn't have much to do with Messi. Barcelona didn't exactly play shit football before Messi's debut either. They will just adjust accordingly and in the way the manager then will make them play. Now Lucho has to play the way Messi allows him to play.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Will Barca still play the same type of football once Messi retires? Empty Re: Will Barca still play the same type of football once Messi retires?

Post by zigra Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:29 pm

Pretty much what RG said. Watch Barcelona in 2009, 2012 and 2015 and tell me it's always the same style with a straight face please.

Also there was a time they were a lot more dependant on Messi than in 2016.
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Ajax

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:22 pm

guest7, please change your username. You're giving our wonderful poster guest07 a bad name.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by guest7 Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:50 pm

Come back in a 2 years when Messi retires early (as usual :coffee: ) and Barca starts to play worse football.

The philosophy won't stick around when they stop winning trophies IMO. Also I disagree, Messi's influence >>>>>>>> Xavi & Iniesta. Why? Just look at Xavi without Messi. Was never average but wasn't WC until Messi came along (And Pep tbf but Messi and Pep are a match made in heaven, both of them were as influential to each other)
guest7
guest7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:58 pm

guest7 wrote:Come back in a 2 years when Messi retires early (as usual :coffee: ) and Barca starts to play worse football.

The philosophy won't stick around when they stop winning trophies IMO. Also I disagree, Messi's influence >>>>>>>> Xavi & Iniesta. Why? Just look at Xavi without Messi. Was never average but wasn't WC until Messi came along (And Pep tbf but Messi and Pep are a match made in heaven, both of them were as influential to each other)

I agree, Messi also carried Xavi in Euro 08, WC 10 and Euro 12 final. The only player I know that can influence games in tournaments hes not even registered in! Almost spiritual in his influence

#weareallMessi #mesqueunevasióndeimpuestos
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:02 pm

Of course they won't, just like they play differently without Xavi.

Great players tend to have that effect on teams.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:13 pm

To answer the question of the thread: I think Barca won't play the same type of football after Messi retires, but not necessarily because of his retirement. Smile

Next Laughing
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:10 am

Provided the management and coach believe in our philosophy, we will always play Cruyffian football. There may be slight adjustments but the basic tenets will remain the same.
It is true that we may change the philosophy if there is a barren spell but I hope not. I would much rather lose the Cruyff way than win any other way.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:31 am

things will always change. there isn't any big club side that has always played the same way forever. when big sides have the man power and resources, yes, cool. when man power and resources are down, the big sides adjust. i mean barcelona didn't exactly play cruyffian from 99 to 04, when they were getting guys like van gaal de la cruz and radomir antic to manage them. and even then, there have been differences in a lot of their teams over the yrs
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Nivash Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:15 am

guest7 wrote:Interesting question for me actually, as we've already seen other "attractive football" teams become defensive once the trophies wasn't coming in (for example Real Madrid)

Madrid didn't go defensive because trophies dried up, style of play was determined by the manager. Pellegrini attacked, Josie changed to his shit on a stick tactics, Carlo attacked, the waiter defended, and now we'll see what Zizou does with a proper pre-season (and presumptively a squad shaped according to what he wants).

Nivash
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:07 am

titosantill wrote:things will always change. there isn't any big club side that has always played the same way forever. when big sides have the man power and resources, yes, cool. when man power and resources are down, the big sides adjust. i mean barcelona didn't exactly play cruyffian from 99 to 04, when they were  getting guys like van gaal de la cruz and radomir antic to manage them. and even then, there have been differences in a lot of their teams over the yrs

Thumbs up
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:38 am

Hapless_Hans wrote:guest7, please change your username. You're giving our wonderful poster guest07 a bad name.

Will Barca still play the same type of football once Messi retires? Tumblr_mhcq6pPYSS1s33ck2o1_500

i felt touched

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down