Do we really want EL?

+4
Il Diavolo
Based Bonera
giovanni_milan
Cruijf
8 posters

Go down

Do we really want EL?  Empty Do we really want EL?

Post by Cruijf Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:53 pm

I know this topic has come up before, but I thought it was especially relevant now because we'll almost certainly get EL either from winning the Coppa or finishing 6th and Juve winning the Coppa.

I've always said I wouldn't want to be in the EL, and that's still my stance now. Of course it would be nice to see our team back on the European stage, but I honestly just see too many negatives. The extra games will stretch our already thin squad, the Thursday games will be killer, and  we likely would have no chance of winning it anyway.

I'd much prefer a few solid signings in the summer to build on this season, and then have all our focus next season on finishing top 3 and returning the CL.

The only potential bonus I can see is the financial one, as we'll get money for qualifying and for every additional stage we reach. But I honestly don't think any amount of money will convince Berlu to spend if he wasn't already going to do so. Whether we reinforce has more to do with whether we get another investor than a few million euros we could get from the EL.

What are everyone's thoughts though?
Cruijf
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Do we really want EL?  Empty Re: Do we really want EL?

Post by Guest Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:57 pm

I would like EL. More money and it's more games to develop our youth. The extra games might spread us thin, but that might force ( Very Happy ) management to make some extra signings. But I really think it would be best to have those games to develop players and continue to find our identity.

Back to top Go down

Post by giovanni_milan Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:03 am

Wholeheartedly, yes.

For any team with top aspirations (or aspirations of having top aspirations one day) Europe is obviously the goal. Not only does it bring in revenue, its a chance at winning/gaining exposure on another level. One needs to look no further at a team like say Napoli, who's run last year added to their rise in confidence as well as the rest of the continents respect.

For Milan, it will be necessary to reestablish our European presence, and no doubt it will feel like a second competition for those of us who are reminiscent of the champions league glory days. But thats not the issue, we need revenue, and advancing deep into the EL could drastically change our fortunes in the long run.

Granted, it may tire us out and distract our league form, but its better to be overwhelmed with the EL and Serie A than Champions league and Serie A in the following year. This squad still needs to get used to playing twice a week and this would be a great starting point I think.

It will also give chances to more youth and fringe players. Considering we typically have a large squad and growing youth sector, this would be a great way to address these issues.

Lastly it is good in general that Milan can add to the Italian coefficient and help regain that fourth spot for the nation. I think that Inter and Fiorentina are capable too but the others seem to lack the depth and would see an early exit. I really long for the days of assured fourth place and a nice Carlo champions league run so hopefully Milan can add to that.

Either way, EL for sure.
giovanni_milan
giovanni_milan
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Based Bonera Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:15 am

As bad as they are, Milan games are still exciting to look forward to. EL means more Milan games for me to watch so sign me up.
Based Bonera
Based Bonera
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Diavolo Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:35 pm

So many of our current players have never even played on the European stage (Donna, Romagnoli, Jack ..) I think it's important for the development of the team and will give the management a bigger push to go and acquire some decent players.

Il Diavolo
Il Diavolo
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:45 am

I fully agree with what Giovanni said , i'll try to add some more .

I wanted Europa League in 2013-2014 , after all that happened that season. I felt then it was necessary to keep playing around Europe , let's call it 'practice' till we got back into CL . Then , again early on in the next season , i wanted Milan to make the Europa League , since i couldn't possibly hope for any more . Wasn't meant to be , because once again , we sucked that much .

This season isn't any different . If we're not worthy to not even be in the Champions League , i'll take the Europa League thank you . Work our way forward . Many of our players need it . It will only push us forward to become better , i think in all fronts . And i firmly believe , if not for anything else , playing in the Europa League will soon make us pretty hungry to be in the Champions League once again .  

I don't agree with the added games being a burden , or what have you . Sure , if we were able to win Serie A , then i would agree , EL would be a double-edged sword , for next season . Pretty big a stretch to assume that , so i am gonna say the benefits are too many , after 2 years of missing out on a european competition to pass up .

We need the EL , as meh as it sounds . It can only help us improve and move forward.
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:36 pm

You guys are talking as if we are in EL positions when we aren't, and lets face it, we'd need a miracle for the ages to beat Juve in a Coppa Italia final, maybe 2, considering the group we have
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:46 am

I was content to miss out on the Europa League when we first stumbled, however right now it's absolutely vital that we regain European football. We've failed to benefit at all in the league from our lack of regular mid-week action but now we also stand to be punished for it.

In the past two years we've fallen from 11th to 25th in the European Club Coefficient rankings. A further year without European competition will cause further damage. The essential result? When we do finally qualify once more for the Champions League, we will be regularly drawing horror groups, regardless of how Italy's overall coefficient fares without us.

Many other excellent reasons have already been mentioned. The Europa League is no longer an afterthought but a prestigious and challenging tournament that offers significant rewards to those who take it seriously and will help to improve our team, particularly our inexperienced youngsters. I can't wait for Milan to return to European football, even if it isn't the competition we'd hoped for.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:50 am

Let the record show that this committee holds you responsible for our current plight

Spoiler:
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:52 am

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/43187420.jpg
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:57 am

Thanks guys! Very Happy
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruijf Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:41 pm

Welcome back, it's great to hear from you again!

Now if only our team can make a similar return hmm
Cruijf
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum