What club in other leagues can Arsenal be compared to?

+25
RED
Hapless_Hans
Adit
free_cat
DeviAngel
Peccadillo
RealGunner
El Gunner
Grande_Milano
REWB
zigra
futbol_bill
LeBéninois
rincon
BarrileteCosmico
futbol
titosantill
Sri
eelir
sportsczy
Twoism
Socur Toxanarosa
rwo power
Raptorgunner
breva
29 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What club in other leagues can Arsenal be compared to? - Page 2 Empty Re: What club in other leagues can Arsenal be compared to?

Post by REWB Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:40 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Sri if you don't win this year you never will. Can you imagine the amount of spending next year when Chelsea, Liverpool, City and United will rebuild their squads? I'm sure Arsenal won't join, and they'll be left behind.

The fact of the matter is that it has been obvious for 3 years that Arsenal need a GK, CF and DM. Good job getting Cech, but you're still playing Flamini and Giroud. Arsenal does not aim for titles, only to be "good enough".

Im wondering, where are all these players that mancity, chelsea, man utd etc are going to buy? lol people say this shit every year the players just arnt there for these clubs to buy. The PL is as competitive as ever and that wont be changing for a long time until one of these clubs manage to find a young superstar like messi or ronaldo.

REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

What club in other leagues can Arsenal be compared to? - Page 2 Empty Re: What club in other leagues can Arsenal be compared to?

Post by Grande_Milano Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:46 pm

The upcoming years will show what fraud is old man Wenga, hiding behind "financial problems". I predict zero big titles until he leaves
Grande_Milano
Grande_Milano
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:03 pm

Socur Toxanarosa wrote:
titosantill wrote:probably villareal not right now, but under pellegrini a couple of years back. right now its difficult to find a match. definitely not atletico, largely because of playing style. but i think one can say atleti under simeone have been a bit more successful, in large part due to the league and ucl final appearance they had....playing style and image, i'd say maybe pellegrini's villareal, in large part due to playing style and the way both managers approached games

Atletico is much better, independent of style, it's not even close.

He said in terms of club not team? You guys dont understand the difference? Maybe English isnt your first.

In terms of club, Arsenal is very comparable to atletico. However, Arsenal have won a bit more domestically than atletico, and Arsenal have a more consistent european record (yes atletico have two Europa cups but if youre smart you'll know why we cant use this as a yardstick).

In term of history the closest club to compare to Arsenal is atletico, thats for sure. But thats just history, in terms of Arsenal's stature as a club and fanbase, they are pretty much up there with the top tier ahead of clubs like atletico.
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:27 pm

futbol_bill wrote:Lyon!!! always close but no cigar!!!

Lyon won french 7 titles in a row and destroyed Madrid year after year in CL.  Made it to quarters and one semi final of CL in that span too while always getting to elimination rounds.  No way.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:36 pm

We're quite unique tbh
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:26 pm

sportsczy wrote:

Lyon won french 7 titles in a row and destroyed Madrid year after year in CL.  Made it to quarters and one semi final of CL in that span too while always getting to elimination rounds.  No way.
g

Winning a second rated liga is about equal to finishing in top 4 in EPL. Beating a very poor Madrid twice, means nothing. Getting to QF or SF is about equal to Arsenal.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:48 pm

We are as good as any 2/3rd tier teams. Nothing special. Just history and tradition keeping us still relevant

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:56 am

can everyone stop blaming Wenger for not signing a WC striker? He has been trying since RVP hung him out to dry. It isn't that easy to find a WC striker if you aren't Bayern, Barca, Real, Man Yoo, Juve or cashed up with oil dollahz

Higuain was the only one we truly let go. Everything else was seemingly out of AW's control. Suarez, Benzema etc. Even I got convinced for a time that any old striker will do - well Liverpool do that consistently buying Benteke and the like, throwing money down the toilet more than half the time.

It is hard to compare English clubs with the injection of Oil money.. Not too long ago City were a scrub club who barely won anything and were battling relegation half the time. Not too long ago Arsenal were widely accepted as the biggest club in London.

I personally think Roma is the most comparable I suppose but unique for the most part.

One thing I notice about Arsenal is its the club that everyone loves to backseat manage.. Not sure why that is..
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by DeviAngel Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:49 am

I see a lot of Roma in them Smile
DeviAngel
DeviAngel
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:57 am

if roma were like arsenal, they'd have sold totti to one of their rivals; ac milan or juve back when totti was in his prime, and gotten an unknown commodity as replacement.
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:34 am

futbol_bill wrote:
sportsczy wrote:

g

Winning a second rated liga is about equal to finishing in top 4 in EPL. Beating a very poor Madrid twice, means nothing. Getting to QF or SF is about equal to Arsenal.
You can't be serious.  The same league that sent teams to the elimination rounds regularly (such as Bordeaux, Monaco and Lille) and Monaco to the finals of CL in that same span besides Lyon?  That is absolutely not the same league as it is today.  There was really good talent.  The league only started to really dilute after 2009-2010.

Lyon actually beat big teams in CL in those years. Arsenal's issue is that they will beat those that they are supposed to... but cannot get a result against any of the big names regardless of their form at the time.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:12 am

ahem real madrid
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Socur Toxanarosa Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:55 am

REWB wrote:He said in terms of club not team? You guys dont understand the difference? Maybe English isnt your first.

In terms of club, Arsenal is very comparable to atletico. However, Arsenal have won a bit more domestically than atletico, and Arsenal have a more consistent european record (yes atletico have two Europa cups but if youre smart you'll know why we cant use this as a yardstick).

In term of history the closest club to compare to Arsenal is atletico, thats for sure. But thats just history, in terms of Arsenal's stature as a club and fanbase, they are pretty much up there with the top tier ahead of clubs like atletico.

English is not my first language but i got it alright, in the end it doesn't even matter much as the team is a result of the club policies and Atletico has been a much better club/team than Arsenal for a while.
Socur Toxanarosa
Socur Toxanarosa
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:31 am

Every Club is unique. They are Arsenal and they don't need to have a similar club somewhere else. And also, why is it relevant or interesting if there's a similar club to Arsenal somewhere else?
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:43 am

free_cat wrote:Every Club is unique. They are Arsenal and they don't need to have a similar club somewhere else.

+1

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:07 pm

Peccadillo wrote:can everyone stop blaming Wenger for not signing a WC striker? He has been trying since RVP hung him out to dry. It isn't that easy to find a WC striker if you aren't Bayern, Barca, Real, Man Yoo, Juve or cashed up with oil dollahz

Higuain was the only one we truly let go. Everything else was seemingly out of AW's control. Suarez, Benzema etc. Even I got convinced for a time that any old striker will do - well Liverpool do that consistently buying Benteke and the like, throwing money down the toilet more than half the time.

It is hard to compare English clubs with the injection of Oil money.. Not too long ago City were a scrub club who barely won anything and were battling relegation half the time. Not too long ago Arsenal were widely accepted as the biggest club in London.

I personally think Roma is the most comparable I suppose but unique for the most part.

One thing I notice about Arsenal is its the club that everyone loves to backseat manage.. Not sure why that is..

Disagree. He could have had Suarez. He had a 40 million buyout clause and if Wenger had not tried to take the piss with a 40 million + 1 pound offer which rubbed Liverpool the wrong way and instead made a proper bid, say, 50 million, Suarez would play for Arsenal now.

I don't know if Wenger himself made that offer, I think in England the manager manages everything including transfers, so I assume it was Wenger's doing. In any case Arsenal are run by clowns.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:14 pm

They are mixture of number of teams.

Atletico- no pressure to win trophies ... Inherited

Roma-Underperforming.. Inherited

Napoli-can't win pressure matches ... Inherited

Vaelencia- win big game lose next week to scrubs 3-0... Inherited

Bayer Leverkusen- bottle job.... Inherited
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:16 pm

Adit wrote:They are mixture of number of teams.

Atletico- no pressure to win trophies ... Inherited

Roma-Underperforming.. Inherited

Napoli-can't win pressure matches ... Inherited

Vaelencia- win big game lose next week to scrubs 3-0... Inherited

Bayer Leverkusen- bottle job.... Inherited

Proud Proud Proud Proud

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:31 pm

Arsenal are like Barca minus Messi
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:42 pm

Peccadillo wrote:can everyone stop blaming Wenger for not signing a WC striker? He has been trying since RVP hung him out to dry. It isn't that easy to find a WC striker if you aren't Bayern, Barca, Real, Man Yoo, Juve or cashed up with oil dollahz

Its not impossible to find good strikers around. Outside of rich EPL clubs, Juve got Tevez and Mandzukic cheap, Dybala for a good price. Roma with Dzeko. Napoli with Higuain. Inter with Icardi. Thats just from serie A. If they can get such strikers, then so can Arsenal. Dortmund replaced Lewandowski properly with Aubmeyang. Chelsea got Diego Costa. Atletico replaced Costa with Griezmann. Milan got Bacca.

Those have performed to different levels, but I think they would all be at least as good as Giroud, motsly better.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:54 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:Arsenal are like Barca minus Messi

minus Trophies
minus league duopoly (post 2003/04 Roman Russian tanks parked on our lawns etc)
minus Suarez/Neymar a.k.a credible attacking options
minus Busquets a.k.a swimming talents
minus DNA/tap up skills
minus Humble & Respectful
minus VAGI
minus CL trophy (2006 Sad )

hmm

Last edited by srigooner on Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:55 pm

Oh and minus GOALS - you know, stuff you need to score to actually win matches. Think credible attack covered that though hmm

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:24 pm

Wenger did find a striker and his name Sonogoal...he wanted to be a postman but Wenger changed his mind. rofl

Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:26 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:Arsenal are like Barca minus Messi

We still have Wenger..he would play Messi as a LB or CB.

No mater who we sign with Wenger around we wont win shit.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:48 pm

They are a transparent line between 1st tier and 2nd tier club. Have the resources of a big club but have the recent success rate of a 2nd (maybe even a 3rd tier club) tier club.

I'd categorize them along with Valencia, Roma and Bayer Leverkusen.
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by salmano9 Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:47 pm

A more organised Roma I would say.
salmano9
salmano9
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Malaga CF

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next