If Barca complete the treble back to back, is this the greatest team of all time?

+21
Cruijf
Curtinho
Doc
Myesyats
Mamad
Hapless_Hans
The Demon of Carthage
Onyx
Bankz
Harmonica
RED
free_cat
LeBéninois
BarrileteCosmico
futbol_bill
futbol
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Lucifer
jibers
Firenze
McAgger
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

If Barca complete the treble back to back, is this the greatest team of all time? Empty If Barca complete the treble back to back, is this the greatest team of all time?

Post by McAgger Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:15 pm

Let's not kid ourselves they've already got Copa Del Rey and La Liga wrapped up.

It's all about the CL and their only real competition is Bayern.

The feat has never been accomplished. Even Guardiola's teams couldn't do it.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

If Barca complete the treble back to back, is this the greatest team of all time? Empty Re: If Barca complete the treble back to back, is this the greatest team of all time?

Post by Firenze Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:19 pm

no

they need to beat Leicester in next seasons CL to prove that IMO
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

If Barca complete the treble back to back, is this the greatest team of all time? Empty Re: If Barca complete the treble back to back, is this the greatest team of all time?

Post by jibers Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:23 pm

Don't call me James wrote:Let's not kid ourselves they've already got Copa Del Rey and La Liga wrapped up.

Greatest team since the European cup was revamped to the CL, sure. All time? For me Ajax in 1970s is the greatest because of the influence they had years after.

It would be an incredible feat.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucifer Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:31 pm

Exactly how old are you Mr.Jibers if I may ask.

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:34 pm

Weakest era of all time maybe.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:37 pm

Yes, of course.

Also there is no "if". It's already decided.

http://www.goallegacy.net/t38745-the-back-to-back-champions-league-winning-thread

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:42 pm

jibers wrote:
Don't call me James wrote:Let's not kid ourselves they've already got Copa Del Rey and La Liga wrapped up.

Tr

Greatest team since the European cup was revamped to the CL, sure. All time? For me Ajax in 1970s is the greatest because of the influence they had years after.

No Jibers, it was Real Madrid 1955-60, 5 consecutive european cups. That Ajax team was impressive, but that Madrid was unstoppable for 5 years. i doubt if we will ever see dominance like that again. However Barca's run over past 10 years is also unmatched.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:06 pm

futbol_bill wrote:
jibers wrote:

Tr

No Jibers, it was Real Madrid 1955-60, 5 consecutive european cups. That Ajax team was impressive, but that Madrid was unstoppable for 5 years. i doubt if we will ever see dominance like that again. However Barca's run over past 10 years is also unmatched.

Madrid were the first and the first few tournaments didn't even include the best teams. Barcelona were invited but rejected it because they said it was a mickey mouse cup (they must regret it to this day). Ajax are the best because they then went on to have an effect on the tactics that are still seen today. The core of that team reached a WC final and they won a treble and the European super cup was created just for them Laughing

jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:01 am

LOL Barca were 2nd or 3rd in la liga for most of those years. The team has Di Stefano, Puskas, Gento, argueably 3 of the greatest players ever. I'm not saying that Ajax was bad, but if you saw both team play, you have a hard argument to convince me that they re better.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:10 am

What are you talking about futboll_bill? If you look at the 5 years when Madrid won the EC they won the league title twice, same as Barca. Madrid positions:

1955-56: 3rd (Barca 2nd)

1956-57: 1st (Barca 3rd)

1957-58: 1st (Barca 3rd)

1958-59: 3rd (Barca 1st)

1959-60: 2nd (Barca 1st)

BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:46 am

I assume you have looked up this on Wikipedia. Back then, it wasn't a 2 team liga. Bilbao was more the more dangerous opponent. When jibers is saying Barca declined to participate it was at the beginning of Madrid's dominance. In those days they didn't have the squad depth to play in multiple competitions and thus total dominance in European and getting 2 ligas was quite remarkable. Besides I am the only one here that saw both teams. Granted I was a young kid, but that team with Di Stefano and Puskas was awesome.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:57 am

futbol_bill wrote:I assume you have looked up this on Wikipedia. Back then, it wasn't a 2 team liga. Bilbao was more the more dangerous opponent. When jibers is saying Barca declined to participate it was at the beginning of Madrid's dominance. In those days they didn't have the squad depth to play in multiple competitions and thus total dominance in European and getting 2 ligas was quite remarkable. Besides I am the only one here that saw both teams. Granted I was a young kid, but that team with Di Stefano and Puskas was awesome.

May I ask how old are you ?

As you saw both teams, are you saying RM of that era was better in your opinion ? Maybe not better , greater let's say .
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:31 am

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Weakest era of all time maybe.

Quite the opposite.
I don't remember an era with so much quality.

And to answer the question: yes.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:49 am

Yes. Without a doubt.
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:05 am

futbol_bill wrote:
jibers wrote:

Tr

Real only won those because the tournament was still in its infancy, developing its format and prestige. It's say a lot about the level of the competition if team that wins 5 European Cup's in a row, wins at the same time 2/10 possible national leagues and cups, or 2 doubles in the 5 seasons.

For comparison Barca has won league every time and cup two times in the last 4 CL's, or two trebles and two doubles.

As it is La Decima is a complete joke, and Messi's Barca is already the best club side ever, relatively.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:52 am

futbol_bill wrote:I assume you have looked up this on Wikipedia. Back then, it wasn't a 2 team liga. Bilbao was more the more dangerous opponent. When jibers is saying Barca declined to participate it was at the beginning of Madrid's dominance. In those days they didn't have the squad depth to play in multiple competitions and thus total dominance in European and getting 2 ligas was quite remarkable. Besides I am the only one here that saw both teams. Granted I was a young kid, but that team with Di Stefano and Puskas was awesome.

he called you out. Barcelona did better than Madrid in the league and refuted your claim. A lot of the federation declined the offer to include their teams in the European cup such as English FA and Chelsea didn't even take part in it.

Before the European cup, Barcelona won the closest thing to it called the Copa Latina.

Ajax were competing with a Feyenoord team that won the European cup in 1971, faced a strong Inter team and Pirri of the Yeye Madrid team said it was the best team he ever faced.

Madrid might have the prestige of the 5 European cups, and I will never denigrate them because they are pioneers, but Ajax stand above all in terms of the way they influenced the football on the field. This Barcelona era and all of the successful Barcelona teams are based off that team. Rinus Michels won Coach of the Century for a reason, because of that team.

In most of the team rankings I have read, such as fourfourtwo, Ajax are almost always ranked as number one. I'm not saying that there is a right or wrong answer, just that I'm not alone in my sentiment.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Bankz Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:52 am

Nice jinx attempt!

But to answer your question yes it would make us (barcelona) the best team ever!

But here's another question, if we win the treble, would it make enrique greater than guadiolar as it stands? If not why would it not? I can only imagine that if we win another treble, we would naturally win 2/3 of other small cups along with it.
Bankz
Bankz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:57 pm

LeBéninois wrote:

May I ask how old are you ?

As you saw both teams, are you saying RM of that era was better in your opinion ? Maybe not better , greater let's say .

I am 68. That Madrid team was the greatest of all time IMO
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:03 pm

Jibers, i don't really disagree with you, I do believe that the Ajax team was great. Maybe it is just my childhood memories but to me that Madrid team was the best ever. If we look into the entire history of CL / European Cup, this current decade of Barca clubs rank very high IMO. The other that comes to mind is Milan.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:03 pm

Sure but in those days European football lagged far behind South American, Di Stefano had to leave River because he couldn't break into the team :coffee:
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bankz Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:26 pm

rofl
Bankz
Bankz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Bankz Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:26 pm

rofl
Bankz
Bankz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:42 pm

Even if they do they still lack that special something that Pep's team had imo.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by The Demon of Carthage Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:52 pm

Onyx wrote:Even if they do they still lack that special something that Pep's team had imo.

If I was a Barça fan, I wouldn't mind not having that 'special something' as long as I'm winning everything with Lucho.
The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:01 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:

Sure but in those days European football lagged far behind South American, Di Stefano had to leave River because he couldn't break into the team :coffee:

rofl LOL, and I had thought you were a serious poster!!!
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next