I won't sing the Argentine national anthem on purpose. I don't need to sing. - Lionel Messi

+11
Lucifer
FennecFox7
Harmonica
shinigami99
M99
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Freeza
Kaladin
Hapless_Hans
Art Morte
RealGunner
15 posters

Go down

I won't sing the Argentine national anthem on purpose. I don't need to sing. - Lionel Messi  Empty I won't sing the Argentine national anthem on purpose. I don't need to sing. - Lionel Messi

Post by RealGunner Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:24 pm

Lionel Messi blasts Argentina critics in foul-mouthed rant

http://ducisports.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Lionel-Messi-Adidas-therewillbehaters.jpg

Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi has slammed critics of the Argentina national team in a feisty TV interview.

Argentina, led by Messi, has lost two major finals in two years, going down 1-0 to Germany in the World Cup final in Brazil and falling to hosts Chile on penalties in the final of the 2015 Copa America.

Four-time Ballon d'Or winner Messi has a complicated relationship with football fans in his native Argentina.

While many Argentines idolise the number 10 and consider him the national team's greatest chance of achieving success, others have complained he does not inspire the team in the way Diego Maradona once did.

Messi told TyC Sports he thinks those critics need some perspective.

"I get annoyed when they tell us 'put in more effort, you don't feel the shirt'," he said

"We were lucky enough to get to the final of the World Cup and the Copa America and it's as though we didn't do anything.

"We got to two finals, for f***'s sake

"We didn't win, what can you do, but we got to the final, we didn't lose in the round of 16."

Messi was named player of the tournament at the 2014 World Cup, but his performances dipped in the knock-out stages and he was unable to make a major impact in the final.

Some in Argentina claim he does not play with the same passion for Argentina as he does for his club side, Barcelona, which has enjoyed a huge amount of success in recent years.

A constant critique is that he does not sing the national anthem before games, but Messi says this is just his way.

"Football is not just about effort. We had bad times in the national team for what we experienced," he said.

"We lost the final of the World Cup against Germany who have great players and we had great chances to win it. With Chile it was the same and we lost on penalties.

"I get annoyed by the people who attack you without thinking. I won't sing the national anthem on purpose. I don't need to sing it to feel it.

"It reaches me, every person feels it in their own way. The Pumas cry, they feel it differently and that's ok."

Argentina currently sits in second spot in the FIFA rankings, while Messi is second on the all-time list of scorers for his country, trailing Gabriel Batistuta by seven goals.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-14/lionel-messi-blasts-argentina-critics-in-foul-mouted-rant/7025094?section=sport
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

I won't sing the Argentine national anthem on purpose. I don't need to sing. - Lionel Messi  Empty Re: I won't sing the Argentine national anthem on purpose. I don't need to sing. - Lionel Messi

Post by Art Morte Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:33 pm

Fans and pundits like to go on about 'passion' and 'spirit', but in the end they're in the same category as 'experience', change actually very little on the pitch.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

I won't sing the Argentine national anthem on purpose. I don't need to sing. - Lionel Messi  Empty Re: I won't sing the Argentine national anthem on purpose. I don't need to sing. - Lionel Messi

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:35 pm

Good for him. Finally telling stupid idiot haters to go *bleep* themselves.

Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:37 pm

Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:42 pm

ES wrote:@Albiceleste

rofl
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:43 pm

ES wrote:@Albiceleste

Dead rofl
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:44 pm

I miss Albi
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by shinigami99 Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:54 pm

Messi Proud
shinigami99
shinigami99
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:37 am

:bow:
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:01 am

M99 wrote:I miss Albi

Anyone know what happened to him? He just disappeared..
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:06 am

Perma banned, but BC is Argentine, I think hmm , lets call him.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:08 am

Looks like he's at 100% though hmm
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucifer Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:10 am

Badassi :bow:

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:50 am

The not singing the national anthem criticism has always annoyed me, no matter what sport or who

Who cares if you sing it or not ffs
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:11 am

Same here. They are competing for football titles and not for the Eurovision Song Contest Laughing
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:12 am

Harmonica wrote:Perma banned, but BC is Argentine, I think hmm , lets call him.
There can only be one
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:35 pm

As far as I recall Messi can't speak English, so is there a direct translation from Spanish to English for 'for *bleep*'s sake' hmm
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:37 pm

El Gunner wrote:As far as I recall Messi can't speak English, so is there a direct translation from Spanish to English for 'for *bleep*'s sake' hmm
http://www.goallegacy.net/t37323p774-the-lionel-messi-appreciation-thread-fan-club-ii#1537489
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:00 pm

That doesn't exactly answer my question hmm
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down