What is Raheem Sterling's best position?

5 posters

Go down

What is Raheem Sterling's best position? Empty What is Raheem Sterling's best position?

Post by Art Morte Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:01 pm

I don't think he's a very good winger. There, I said it.

Most people, at least non-Liverpool fans who only watch him sporadically, would probably answer the question in the thread title by saying "winger". Not that I think he's a bad winger, not at all, but if it's not counter-attacking football that we're able to play, Sterling, for me, isn't doing many things that good wingers do:

He's a good dribbler, but not excellent. Also doesn't really have tricks with the ball. If he beats his defender on the wings, it's because of his pace. That's not happening very often. I'd go as far as to say that Glen Johnson is a better dribbler than Sterling and that Jose Enrique has more tricks up his sleeve than Sterling.

Rarely looks like a threat cutting inside and shooting. Rarely puts in dangerous crosses (not that we use crosses that much anyway, except in the last 10 minutes when we haven't scored in the first 80).

I think he has had his best performances for us in a more central position, where it's easier to beat your man with raw pace and move behind your defender. I haven't been impressed by him in our 4-3-3 this season at all when he's been playing mostly out wide.

Obviously he's still not the finished product and maybe he'll become a better wing player still, but at the moment I think he's offering very little to our game when playing as a winger - which also is partially down to our whole team playing poorly, I acknowledge that.

But what do you think is Sterling's best position right now and where would you like to see him play?
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

What is Raheem Sterling's best position? Empty Re: What is Raheem Sterling's best position?

Post by Nishankly Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:11 pm

SS

He'll be Walcott over time, I probably think a better player than him.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

What is Raheem Sterling's best position? Empty Re: What is Raheem Sterling's best position?

Post by Art Morte Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:26 pm

Nishy wrote:SS

He'll be Walcott over time, I probably think a better player than him.

Well, that's an interesting thing to say, as in, I agree with that. Walcott has become a great player in the PL (when not injured), by playing like a second striker, looking to make a quick run to behind defense, onto a through ball. Sterling has those qualities, that insane acceleration and can also finish all right. But we haven't been playing him like that... He won't show his potential in "the Walcott role" if we never play him like that.

I wouldn't mind trying Sterling in our midfield trio, either, as he does track back well and has a very good physique in spite of his small size. And in the center of the pitch he can accelerate past his defender very impressively where it's easier to do than on the wings.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:29 pm

Sterling's best position for time being is bench :coffee:

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-r34 Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:38 pm

If anyone think's sterling is best played on the wings they must be insane. Down the middle, top of the diamond or playing behind the striker.
mr-r34
mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:19 pm

I agree with this, everytime I see Sterling on the wing, I think he is just a kick and run player. He doesn't have the qualities of a winger.

I do think he'd flourish as a SS behind a big CF though.

As an example:

GK
RB CB Hummels LB
RM Fabregas DM LM
Sterling
Drogba

Have two players (Hummels and Fabregas) who could hit long balls to the CF (my example being prime Drogba) for the CF to knock down to the on rushing Sterling.

He is wasted on the wing and when not playing at a fast tempo, though.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum