Sri
EL Patron
Chumlum
Raptorgunner
RealGunner
Jay29
15 posters

Go down

Champions League Play-Off 1st Leg - Besiktas 0 - 0 Arsenal: Work to do Empty Champions League Play-Off 1st Leg - Besiktas 0 - 0 Arsenal: Work to do

Post by Jay29 Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:16 pm

After the Palace game, I said that the team wasn't quite there yet in terms of fitness and sharpness. Three days is hardly enough time for that change, and so it showed in tonight's game.

The main difference tonight was the lack of control we had over the 90 minutes. The game was stretched, with good chances falling to both sides, and for the majority of the game the players scrambled, scrapped and fouled each other, especially in midfield. Not a good watch at all.

Besiktas had the better of the early exchanges. Demba Ba almost scored straight from kick off with a shot from the half-way line, then he tested Szczesny again with a volley on the edge of the area. Besiktas were even playing some nice one touch stuff on the edge of our box, though they lacked an end product to it. Arsenal's best moments came through Alexis down the right, but for all his tenacity and ball carrying abilities, he was often isolated on that side. Arsenal seemed reluctant to throw men forward in support, and often Alexis only had one target in the penalty area.

Then both sides spurred a guilt edged chance. Chambers, who had been excellent to that point, missed a clearance, allowing Ba to get one-on-one with Koscielny. He went round him quite easily, but put his shot wide. At the other end, Ramsey picked out Giroud in the box, but he failed to get on the end of it; the sort of moment you wonder whether a better striker would've been sharper and converted that sort of chance.

The second half was somehow scrappier than the first. Again, both sides had chances. Arsenal had one a minute in, where Giroud played in Ramsey but he, for some reason, decided to try and take on the remaining defender instead of just shooting at goal. Besiktas then got us on the break, but their attacker curled the ball just wide of the post.

That was pretty much the end of the chances, at least until the end of the game. Like against Palace, Arsenal barely managed any decent offence, regularly losing the ball cheaply and making the wrong decision. The lack of control they had certainly didn't help matters. Rather, it forced Arsenal into covering more ground and committing more fouls, making the game far too bitty, especially with a whistle-happy ref seemingly pulling fouls from his backside.

Any chance of nicking a win took a major hit when Ramsey stupidly got himself sent off. Already on the yellow card, Ramsey continued to press opponents and was nibbling at player's heels. Losing the ball cheaply, he took down Ozyakup, picking up his second yellow in the process. Stupid. Soft foul or not, if you're on a booking with a anal ref then it's usually not a good idea to continue to commit fouls.

Chamberlain hit the post late on, and that was it. Arsenal had to be content with a 0-0 draw.

The result itself isn't terrible. In an ideal world, we would have won by two or three goals, effectively killing the tie and the second leg becomes a glorified friendly. Instead, we'll have work to do as we attempt to score the required goals whilst ensuring we don't concede any away goals. Our record at the Emirates is strong, so you'd expect us to be able to do that, even without Ramsey.

More worrying is the performance. Szczesny, the back four, Wilshere and Alexis had good games, but the same can't be said for Ramsey, Cazorla and Giroud, the creative hub and main goal threat in the side. Ramsey didn't influence the game nearly as much as he could do, and tended to overcomplicate things, whereas Cazorla was invisible most of the game. Giroud struggled to hold the ball up and didn't look threatening at all. Collectively, Arsenal didn't look like much of a threat.

Whether or not this is down to the fitness and sharpness of the players, or whether it's bigger issue remains to be seen. But certainly, Arsenal have to play a lot better than they had against Palace and Besiktas if they want to come from Everton on Saturday with a positive result.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Champions League Play-Off 1st Leg - Besiktas 0 - 0 Arsenal: Work to do Empty Re: Champions League Play-Off 1st Leg - Besiktas 0 - 0 Arsenal: Work to do

Post by RealGunner Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:27 pm

The match was an eye-sore. very difficult to watch specially in that pitch. Imagine playing on it.

But can't blame the pitch. We still looked jaded and rusty. The understanding wasn't there. The chemistry and balance still lacks IMO.

The problem atm is that the midfield is very very flat. Arteta-Wilshere-Ramsey doesn't work. As I explained against Palace, ramsey n Wilshere are both same players with different personnel. They play in the same position eventhough they do different things. But that affects our chemistry. We need Cazorla in midfield or Ozil. Tonight Wilshere was good though.

Cazorla at LW has been underwhelming so far. He isn't in form and the lack of pace by him and Giroud doesn't help us at all. Speaking of Giroud. I am willing to allow his erm shitiness. But the signs are concerning.

Expect us to beat them but we need our performance to improve
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Champions League Play-Off 1st Leg - Besiktas 0 - 0 Arsenal: Work to do Empty Re: Champions League Play-Off 1st Leg - Besiktas 0 - 0 Arsenal: Work to do

Post by Raptorgunner Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:09 pm

The result is fine, but we were very poor today, could have lost the game easily. I am not worried about this tie, I know we will finish them off at home. We have a long season ahead and I hope Wenger does at least 2 more players to help the squad out. We need word class players in DM and CF or will see may more poor performances like this.

Any news on Arteta?
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:13 pm

I dont think Wenger likes Joel campbell, 2 games a 0 minutes. Something not right here.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:13 am

It was a pretty uninspiring and frustrating performance but there's no need to worry too much IMO.

Over the next couple weeks I expect there will be some rough matches but honestly I think that the ball will get rolling.

We're just a couple matches in, wait a while to see how Campbell (and others) might get a shot. Maybe Wenger won't end up trusting him. But it's too soon to say.

I think things will be fine, especially when we get the Germans and Theo back, and after the players have gotten into a rhythm together.
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:40 am

I knew it would be a tough game but i didn't expect it to be that tough. It was an average performance to be honest, we looked slow,rusty and disjointed. Chambers is doing well, if he keeps performing like this then I can see Arsene converting him into a central defender. I thought Jack and Sanchez played better than they did on Saturday, you still feel that there is a lot more to come from both especially Sanchez.

Ba caused us all sorts of problem, on another day he would have buried one or two luckily he din't. The only positives we can take from tonight is that we kept a clean sheet, However the tie is not a foregone conclusion by any means. We will be without Arteta and Ramsey who is our only goal threat.
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:16 am

We looked jaded, you say? Why was there no rotation if the same 11 played 3 days back and clearly lack fitness?

Why didn't Rosicky and Campbell and Ox start? I said it in the preview that we should rotate and Wenger won't. Guess what happen :coffee:

I'm sorry Arsene, you can talk all you want about how many players you have as options in the attack. If your squad management is as poor as it has been in the last few years and you are obstinate to persist with the same 11 week in and week out, there is no ruthlessness in the way you are encouraging competition in the squad.

You can't wait for months at end before dropping a Vermalen or a Szczesny. Someone seems out of form (read: Santi)? Give them a breather. Someone seems can't fit in the system because of other positions (read: Ramsey/Jack)? Give them a breather.

We would have seen a much different result if we had started Ox and Campbell instead. This I am sure of.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by RedMamba Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:07 am

srigooner wrote:We looked jaded, you say? Why was there no rotation if the same 11 played 3 days back and clearly lack fitness?

Why didn't Rosicky and Campbell and Ox start? I said it in the preview that we should rotate and Wenger won't. Guess what happen :coffee:

I'm sorry Arsene, you can talk all you want about how many players you have as options in the attack. If your squad management is as poor as it has been in the last few years and you are obstinate to persist with the same 11 week in and week out, there is no ruthlessness in the way you are encouraging competition in the squad.

You can't wait for months at end before dropping a Vermalen or a Szczesny. Someone seems out of form (read: Santi)? Give them a breather. Someone seems can't fit in the system because of other positions (read:  Ramsey/Jack)? Give them a breather.

We would have seen a much different result if we had started Ox and Campbell instead. This I am sure of.

Agreed! Wenger has a starting 11 and the bench is only there if someone gets injured. every year, wenger is directly responsible for injuring (or losing form) our most important player by overplaying. Last year it was Ramsey, cazorla before that, RVP somehow managed didnt break, in 2011 it was wilshere!

After chambers, ramsey played the most minutes in 3 meaningless preseason games! its already begun!

Wenger has never been the one to utilize squad depth efficiently.
RedMamba
RedMamba
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by RedMamba Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:13 am

BTW Wenger doesn't fancy Campbell, its blatantly clear!
RedMamba
RedMamba
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:56 am

even in one of his worst games Rambo comes up with this bit of play

Champions League Play-Off 1st Leg - Besiktas 0 - 0 Arsenal: Work to do AllSoupyHatchetfish

really deserves better CF though
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by djoe26 Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:33 pm

I missed the match due to studies but after reading this topic then i am glad i missed it lol.
djoe26
djoe26
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:05 pm

Now you guys know why i get so angry when Deschamps started Giroud over Benzema about a year back... he's fine as a supersub and spot starter for a top team. But he has absolutely no business being the starter for a top squad. None. What bothers me most is that he has such an overinflated ego to boot ffs.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:39 pm

sportsczy wrote:Now you guys know why i get so angry when Deschamps started Giroud over Benzema about a year back...  he's fine as a supersub and spot starter for a top team.  But he has absolutely no business being the starter for a top squad.  None.  What bothers me most is that he has such an overinflated ego to boot ffs.

I fully agree.

Wenger starts every game with his favorite players even when they are not performing or match fit. One major concern is injuries, wenger is not helping, playing the same players over and over again. Cambell needs to start up front instead of Wengers favorite son Giroud,
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:10 pm

srigooner wrote:We looked jaded, you say? Why was there no rotation if the same 11 played 3 days back and clearly lack fitness?

You can't wait for months at end before dropping a Vermalen or a Szczesny. Someone seems out of form (read: Santi)? Give them a breather. Someone seems can't fit in the system because of other positions (read: Ramsey/Jack)? Give them a breather.

Wow did not expect that from you Sri that is almost anti Wenger.

+1 I agree with every word though.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:11 pm

djoe26 wrote:I missed the match due to studies but after reading this topic then i am glad i missed it lol.

You can still watch it and yell at the tele like we did.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:18 pm

I call a spade, a spade 6unner. I have never withheld praise where it is due, and never withheld criticism either. And I still find no answers to Wenger's lack of rotation, a week after he purred about the attacking riches at his disposal.

After we spent 70m quid, and without selling players - first time ever in recent history - can you imagine the shit storm if we don't improve on the pitch?

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:21 pm

srigooner wrote:I call a spade, a spade 6unner. I have never withheld praise where it is due, and never withheld criticism either. And I still find no answers to Wenger's lack of rotation, a week after he purred about the attacking riches at his disposal.

After we spent 70m quid, and without selling players - first time ever in recent history - can you imagine the shit storm if we don't improve on the pitch?

I fully agree.

Champions League Play-Off 1st Leg - Besiktas 0 - 0 Arsenal: Work to do 1408536851225_Image_galleryImage__Pictured_is_one_of_the_a
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:28 pm

srigooner wrote:I call a spade, a spade 6unner. I have never withheld praise where it is due, and never withheld criticism either. And I still find no answers to Wenger's lack of rotation, a week after he purred about the attacking riches at his disposal.

I said I agree with you. It just surprised me.

I have been really trying not to write as much negative stuff this year. My opinion is that there are still issues with our tactics, squad makeup and game day choices. We will do no more that continue our fight for 3rd or 4th this year.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:30 pm

Raptorgunner wrote:
sportsczy wrote:Now you guys know why i get so angry when Deschamps started Giroud over Benzema about a year back...  he's fine as a supersub and spot starter for a top team.  But he has absolutely no business being the starter for a top squad.  None.  What bothers me most is that he has such an overinflated ego to boot ffs.

I fully agree.

Wenger starts every game with his favorite players even when they are not performing or match fit. One major concern is injuries, wenger is not helping, playing the same players over and over again. Cambell needs to start up front instead of Wengers favorite son Giroud,

Totally agree.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:42 pm

I think there's a lot of reason for you guys to be optimistic about the new season.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:44 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:I think there's a lot of reason for you guys to be optimistic about the new season.
Elaborate.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by httredskins47 Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:55 pm

Santi should start at CAM every game Ozil doesn't play. Ox, cambell, and poldi are all better wing players.

httredskins47
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:29 am

httredskins47 wrote:Santi should start at CAM every game Ozil doesn't play. Ox, cambell, and poldi are all better wing players.

Not necessarily - Ox vs. AC Milan at Emirates. 'nuf said :bow:

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:08 pm

Frustrating game, this was.

Besiktas did play very well, not only physical and direct, but also some good play at times. Ba was a constant threat, but Chambers and Koscielny were outstanding.

With Arteta and Ramsey out of the second leg, and any potential new signings (come on Khedira/Carvalho!) not able to play, looks like Wilshere and Flamini in middle for second leg. This makes me worry a bit.

Confident, however, with the Germans back, we'll do the job.
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down