asia = worst continental flop in world cup history ?

+12
DeletedUser#1
rwo power
Arsenalfaithfull
messixaviesta
Forza
neuro11
Lord Spencer
Peccadillo
Art Morte
Pedram
fatman123
farfan
16 posters

Go down

asia = worst continental flop in world cup  history ? Empty asia = worst continental flop in world cup history ?

Post by farfan Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:07 am

4 asian teams played this world cup.
all 4 finished last in their respective groups .
all 4 failed to record a single victory .

a harsh pill to swallow for the hipsters who tried to sell us asia as the next big thing in football in the near future.
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

asia = worst continental flop in world cup  history ? Empty Re: asia = worst continental flop in world cup history ?

Post by fatman123 Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:13 am

Our group was pretty hard, jog on jerk
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

asia = worst continental flop in world cup  history ? Empty Re: asia = worst continental flop in world cup history ?

Post by farfan Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:14 am

fatman123 wrote:Our group was pretty hard, jog on jerk

who are " you " ?

i don't have time to keep up with the silly flag changing that's going on here .
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:27 am

Australia.

We played a better game v Holland then Spain did and despite having more then our fair share of injuries in the lead up to the World Cup - plus Cahills ban for the Spain game - we're competitive in every match.
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:43 am

Australia is technically not a part of Asia though, they joined AFC because they were constantly buttraping poor teams in Oceania.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:42 am

I don't fancy thinking Australia as part of Asia (either). They didn't play bad, though.

Japan and South-Korea were poor, their groups were one of the easier ones, too. But I didn't have any Asian team progressing anyway in my pre-tournament bets or predictions. It's not really a surprise they did as badly as they did (and I don't remember seeing anyone hyping Asia up as the next big thing, but maybe I've just missed that, then).
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:27 am

If you call this a "flop".. it's one of many.

Lets track back from the 80's

- 1982 only Asian side, Kuwait - Failed group stages
- 1986 no asian nations qualified through groups
- 1990 no asian nations qualified through groups
- 1994 Saudi qualified and lost to Sweden in R16
- 1998 no asian nations qualified through groups
- 2002 Korea and Japan were the hosts.. frankly amazing south korea got as far as they did.. no one thought it'd set the standard for the future though
- 2006 no asian nations qualified through groups
- 2010 was I suppose when people started to see more progress.. Korea and Japan were knocked out of R16 by Paraguay and Uruguay respectively.

It is a shame though. I'm someone who expected more from both Korea and Japan to be honest. Especially considering the groups they were in.
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:29 pm

Art Morte wrote:I don't fancy thinking Australia as part of Asia (either). They didn't play bad, though.

Japan and South-Korea were poor, their groups were one of the easier ones, too. But I didn't have any Asian team progressing anyway in my pre-tournament bets or predictions. It's not really a surprise they did as badly as they did (and I don't remember seeing anyone hyping Asia up as the next big thing, but maybe I've just missed that, then).

really ? you missed the whole thing about how japan was destined to become the next first time world cup winner ?
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:20 pm

I expect both Japan and S. Korea to continue developing though. Their players are recently starting to go to Europe, and there is really nowhere to go but up.

Australia can develop as well, but I am afraid their best players might choose to stay down under instead of going to Europe. Which wouldn't help their NT.

Rest of Asia are scrubs though. Local leagues are decades behind in both tactics and discipline. Grassroots football is being ignored, and youth level football is non-existent.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by neuro11 Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:29 pm

farfan wrote:
Art Morte wrote:I don't fancy thinking Australia as part of Asia (either). They didn't play bad, though.

really ? you missed the whole thing about how japan was destined to become the next first time world cup winner ?

i also missed it...shed some light...where were those sold...

neuro11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by neuro11 Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:35 pm

Lord Spencer wrote:I expect both Japan and S. Korea to continue developing though. Their players are recently starting to go to Europe, and there is really nowhere to go but up.

Australia can develop as well, but I am afraid their best players might choose to stay down under instead of going to Europe. Which wouldn't help their NT.

Rest of Asia are scrubs though. Local leagues are decades behind in both tactics and discipline. Grassroots football is being ignored, and youth level football is non-existent.

Improvement of Japan and South Korea have become saturated. Many people think this is due to lack of competition....If you look at the worldcup qualifiers in Asia, there are basically no teams that can push these sides. there is basically zero competition. teams winning in 5-0 and 7-0 even at the last stage of qualifier.
All these three teams have potentials but they need high competitions to improve themselves....

neuro11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:35 pm

Peccadillo wrote:If you call this a "flop".. it's one of many.

- 2002 Korea and Japan were the hosts.. frankly amazing south korea got as far as they did.. no one thought it'd set the standard for the future though
- 2010 was I suppose when people started to see more progress.. Korea and Japan were knocked out of R16 by Paraguay and Uruguay respectively.

It is a shame though. I'm someone who expected more from both Korea and Japan to be honest. Especially considering the groups they were in.

Australia went through to Ro16 from a group that included Brazil, Croatia and Japan. Lost to Italy in Ro16 due to a dubious 90th minute penalty.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:03 pm

Forza wrote:

Australia went through to Ro16 from a group that included Brazil, Croatia and Japan. Lost to Italy in Ro16 due to a dubious 90th minute penalty.

Australia were nor part of the Asian federation in 2006.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:42 pm

Whatever promise Asia were showing 2002 onwards has been lost. It will be difficult to build again from here. Australia remains the best hope for me above all because they are so mentally tough.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Arsenalfaithfull Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:15 pm

messixaviesta wrote:Whatever promise Asia were showing 2002 onwards has been lost. It will be difficult to build again from here. Australia remains the best hope for me above all because they are so mentally tough.

Not really bro. Look at how many Japanese and Korean players are making actual impacts in the leagues which they are playing in.

Not to mention, unlike the MLS and Australian league, theirs has grown from the ground up. They have used their leagues to nurture their OWN talent (rather than buying washed up players from Europe to be the ambassadors) and expand their brand of football.

The fact is that, they play football that technical and pleasing to the eye than most of the other countries in the world. They are also developing players at an alarmingly fast rate.

They had the bad luck of being is a moderately tough groups. Dont let their current failure in the WC be the benchmark as to where they are in terms of the overall development.

Arsenalfaithfull
Arsenalfaithfull
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:45 pm

With the amount of Japanese and Korean players doing nicely in the Bundesliga, I was rather disappointed by their early exit from the World Cup, I have to admit.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by neuro11 Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:43 am

tough groups or what, elimination from group stage without a win is a failure for both korea and japan considering their potential. many people dont understand from outside but truly it was an utter shock for japan who thought they would go further in the tournament. And there thought was not based on hype. if you consider their performance in qualifier, friendlies, performance of players in European and domestic league this makes sense. but again, the problem is they were not tested. you cant improve if you are not tested enough.

the performance is undoubtedly disappointing and i am hoping they finally realize the issue. But i am sure Japan and Korea will grow strong.

neuro11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:56 am

Lord Spencer wrote:
Forza wrote:

Australia were nor part of the Asian federation in 2006.

True, but we are now.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:08 am

Arsenalfaithfull wrote:
messixaviesta wrote:Whatever promise Asia were showing 2002 onwards has been lost. It will be difficult to build again from here. Australia remains the best hope for me above all because they are so mentally tough.

Not really bro. Look at how many Japanese and Korean players are making actual impacts in the leagues which they are playing in.

Not to mention, unlike the MLS and Australian league, theirs has grown from the ground up. They have used their leagues to nurture their OWN talent (rather than buying washed up players from Europe to be the ambassadors) and expand their brand of football.

The fact is that, they play football that technical and pleasing to the eye than most of the  other countries in the world. They are also developing players at an alarmingly fast rate.

They had the bad luck of being is a moderately tough groups. Dont let their current failure in the WC be the benchmark as to where they are in terms of the overall development.

You have to understand that in a nation where football is not the no.1 sport, the advantage of the world game is that you can import overseas celebrities like Del Piero and David Villa to increase the popularity of the game domestically. This is an important strategy and I stand by it 100%.

Having said that, the importation of big names doesn't detract from the A-league's potential to grow young talent. Almost all of the young players in Australia's World Cup squad are A-League products - either still playing in the A-League or have already moved to Europe. This was also a World Cup of transition for us. We had the weaker squad than both 2010 and 2006 on paper and the lowest ranking of any team at the World Cup. This is due to a fairly recent coach change - we used to have the German Holger Osiek at the helm who refused to promote our young players, leaving us with a team of washed-up veterans who got spanked by both France and Brazil in international friendlies. He was fired, and rightfully so.

Our new coach, Ange Postecoglou, made the very brave decision to purge all of the deadwood from the team in the space of less than 9 months leading up to the World Cup. This was not helped by injuries to some of our brightest talents, who were ruled out of the World Cup before it began. At the tournament, we lost all 3 games, but in doing so, have renewed the squad and from here we will go onwards to win the Asian Cup on home soil next year.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:59 pm

Arsenalfaithfull wrote:

The fact is that, they play football that technical and pleasing to the eye than most of the  other countries in the world. They are also developing players at an alarmingly fast rate.

You have a point bro but national teams not standing up to the world's best should still be a concern.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:02 pm

Not sure what people expected of Korea.

They are awful. You'd know it if you had followed the qualification phase. They were very very lucky to even make it to the WC.

Japan was the team that brutally deceived me. Terrible

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:22 pm

Australia did well I thought, and the fact that they are part of Asia now means overall no. Japan and Korea really disappointed.
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:01 pm

Japan had no Defense to withstand the Attacking prowess of the other teams. That's what knocked them out. Iran put up a good fight in their first 2 games. Morale was gone against Bosnia. Korea don't have a strong squad this time around not much they could've done. Australia fielded a relatively new team in this WC.

Flops? I don't think so. It was expected that they'd go out early and it just so happened.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:26 pm

It's going to take a while for Asia to reach the elite level but the talent is there across the continent.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by james07 Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:33 pm

Not just in world cup history but in whole history

james07
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down