Michel Platini:"I am Astonishingly & Profoundly Butthurt that Franck Ribéry did not win the Ballon d'Or"

+23
zigra
VendettaRed07
Zealous
Lord Awesome
MJ
drakefyre
VanDeezNuts
Robespierre
LeBéninois
Onyx
Zero
BarrileteCosmico
VivaStPauli
sportsczy
chinomaster182
Art Morte
S
terrance511
DuringTheWar
M99
Casciavit
The_Badger
Arquitecto
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Michel Platini:"I am Astonishingly & Profoundly Butthurt that Franck Ribéry did not win the Ballon d'Or" Empty Michel Platini:"I am Astonishingly & Profoundly Butthurt that Franck Ribéry did not win the Ballon d'Or"

Post by Arquitecto Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:44 pm

Michel Platini wrote:Uefa president Michel Platini believes the Ballon d'Or has suffered a change for the worse since Fifa took charge of the prize.

Cristiano Ronaldo was named the 2013 winner on Monday ahead of Lionel Messi and Franck Ribery - the second time he has lifted the trophy in total, but only the first since the merger of France Football's prize and the Fifa World Player of the Year award.

Although Platini feels Ronaldo was a worthy recipient, he believes Ribery's failure to be named the winner after leading Bayern Munich to an historic treble in 2013 proves that team successes are no longer taken into account when votes for the prize are cast.

"Ronaldo is a beautiful Ballon d'Or winner, but I am very disappointed for Franck Ribery," he told L'Equipe 21.

"Seriously, next year or the next again, it will come back to Messi or Ronaldo again. For 50 years, I think the Ballon d'Or took into account results and titles and this is no longer the case.

"I think if Franck didn't win it in the year when he won all the titles, there is a problem, as was the case with the Spanish players in 2010.

"There is something that has changed in the Ballon d'Or since it went to Fifa."

Platini himself won the award on three consecutive occasions from 1983-85.pl

Michel Platini:"I am Astonishingly & Profoundly Butthurt that Franck Ribéry did not win the Ballon d'Or" Michel_Platini_171007-3
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Michel Platini:"I am Astonishingly & Profoundly Butthurt that Franck Ribéry did not win the Ballon d'Or" Empty Re: Michel Platini:"I am Astonishingly & Profoundly Butthurt that Franck Ribéry did not win the Ballon d'Or"

Post by The_Badger Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:50 am

He has a point.

The_Badger
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Michel Platini:"I am Astonishingly & Profoundly Butthurt that Franck Ribéry did not win the Ballon d'Or" Empty Re: Michel Platini:"I am Astonishingly & Profoundly Butthurt that Franck Ribéry did not win the Ballon d'Or"

Post by Casciavit Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:05 am

The_Badger wrote:He has a point.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:12 am

Casciavit wrote:
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Badger Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:14 am

M99 wrote:
Casciavit wrote:

The_Badger
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:10 am

The_Badger wrote:
M99 wrote:
Casciavit wrote:
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by terrance511 Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:13 am

he has no point
terrance511
terrance511
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by S Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:23 am

S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:27 am

He has a point, but is it strong enough? Messi and Ronaldo are better players than Ribery. Ribery won the titles as part of the best team in 2013. Yet Balloon Door is an individual award.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by chinomaster182 Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:37 am

He's right that in the past it took titles into account, yet i feel its better now.

Guys like Cannavaro won because his team won a trophy, not because he was the best.

Riberys team might have won everything, but he's clearly not on the level of the other two.

Balon D'or is now a prize for the best player, not the best player in a winning team.
chinomaster182
chinomaster182
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:43 am

You can't be the best football player when your football team, who is as talented as anyone out there, wins nothing.... especially when you're in direct competition with the other guys. How can you be the best when you lose against all your direct competitors?

Also, it seems like the new gen only measures footballing ability in terms of scoring goals.... that's so narrow and ridiculous.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:15 pm

Ribéry gott robbed, because it's a blatant popularity contest.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:30 pm

The problem is that they merged the BdO with the FIFA WPotY year award. BdO rewards achievement, WPotY is a popularity contest since the captain of Namibia doesn't really know or follow football any better than the average GL user. But since each vote counts equally and there are three categories (captains, coaches and media) the award is effectively 2/3 WPotY and 1/3 BdO. So it will always reward the popular option more.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Zero Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:43 pm

Still don't even know why our NT captain gave Neymar 5 points.  Shocked 
Zero
Zero
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:43 pm

It's not about winning trophies, it's about being the best individual player. Not the best team player.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:59 pm

Even they way people vote is wrong .

Ethopia's captain top 3 is Xavi , Pirlo and Muller or something like that. I'd love to see how he ranks the 3 finalist only.
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:02 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:The problem is that they merged the BdO with the FIFA WPotY year award. BdO rewards achievement, WPotY is a popularity contest since the captain of Namibia doesn't really know or follow football any better than the average GL user. But since each vote counts equally and there are three categories (captains, coaches and media) the award is effectively 2/3 WPotY and 1/3 BdO. So it will always reward the popular option more.

exactly,all here.
it was calculated that Sneijder and Ribery would have won with vote of journalists without include coaches ,captains ( old format) and it would have made more sense than Messi and C.Ronaldo .
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:11 pm

Robespierre wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:The problem is that they merged the BdO with the FIFA WPotY year award. BdO rewards achievement, WPotY is a popularity contest since the captain of Namibia doesn't really know or follow football any better than the average GL user. But since each vote counts equally and there are three categories (captains, coaches and media) the award is effectively 2/3 WPotY and 1/3 BdO. So it will always reward the popular option more.

exactly,all here.
it was calculated that Sneijder and Ribery would have won with vote of journalists without include coaches ,captains ( old format) and it would have made more sense than Messi and C.Ronaldo .

Exactly. Keep them separate so Ronaldo and Messi can keep winning the popularity contest that is FIFA WPotY award, and the true Ballon d'or winners like Sneijder and Ribery can have their award.

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:38 pm

vanDEEZ wrote:
Robespierre wrote:

exactly,all here.

Exactly.  Keep them separate so Ronaldo and Messi can keep winning the popularity contest that is FIFA WPotY award, and the true Ballon d'or winners like Sneijder and Ribery can have their award.

Why did France Football merge with FIFA in the first place?
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:50 pm

Political pressure from FIFA.  They were basically threatened and didn't want to lose priveleged media access to FIFA events (WCQ, WC, CWC, etc.) such as locker room access, exclusive interviews, etc...  France Football is an "insider's" magazine and they would get eaten alive if they became just another regular football magazine.  So they gave up the BdO in exchange for FIFA leaving them alone and perhaps even adding some extra exclusive access here and there...

WPotY award was a nothing award and FIFA needed to get rid of BdO.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by drakefyre Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:41 pm

Art Morte wrote:He has a point, but is it strong enough? Messi and Ronaldo are better players than Ribery. Ribery won the titles as part of the best team in 2013. Yet Balloon Door is an individual award.

Indeed , Messi and Ronaldo are better players than Ribery.

IMO, I like the Ballon D'or the old way - chance of Individual honors coming as a result of honors for the team . Reduced a lot of confusion as there was kind of a consensus , and probably gave goalkeeper's and defender's a chance at winning the honor.

And the popularity contest trend is disturbing - if the Ballon D'or followed the current format for all these years , David Beckham could have been a multiple time winner .
drakefyre
drakefyre
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:46 pm

On the other hand, had the award always worked like this players like Raul and Henry might have won the award after all...
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:18 pm

Teams already get their trophies for being the best team, the best player in the world doesn't necessarily have to play for the best team in the world for him to be the best.

Best.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Badger Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:36 pm

MJGunner wrote:Teams already get their trophies for being the best team, the best player in the world doesn't necessarily have to play for the best team in the world for him to be the best.

Best.

George Best.

The_Badger
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:40 pm

The_Badger wrote:
MJGunner wrote:Teams already get their trophies for being the best team, the best player in the world doesn't necessarily have to play for the best team in the world for him to be the best.

Best.

George Best.

Leon Best.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next