+4
rwo power
Soul
Kick
Shed
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Champions League · Group Match #3 - Schalke 04 vs Chelsea Empty Champions League · Group Match #3 - Schalke 04 vs Chelsea

Post by Shed Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:39 am

Champions League · Group Match #3 - Schalke 04 vs Chelsea Tumblr_murtdtoQJw1ruhh4yo1_1280

Chelsea will travel to Germany to play Schalke on Matchday 3 of the Champions League Group Stage
on Tuesday, October 22nd.

Champions League · Group Match #3 - Schalke 04 vs Chelsea Tumblr_murtzkXgrX1ruhh4yo1_1280

Both sides go into this match on the back of victories in their Matchday 2 fixtures. Chelsea completed a comprehensive 4-0 win over Steaua Bucharest in Romania to bounce back from their shock Matchday 1 defeat at home, while Schalke obtained a 1-0 victory away to often tricky Basel to make it 2 for 2 in their European charge.

Champions League · Group Match #3 - Schalke 04 vs Chelsea Tumblr_murvddtf2H1ruhh4yo1_1280

The 2 sides are favourites among most to come out of this group and into the knockout round, and both currently do sit first and second in tournament Group E. A win for Chelsea would take them level on points with their opponents, doubtless a welcomed relief after their opening day trainwreck at home to Basel, while a win for the home side would put the Germans a commanding 6 points ahead of their London opposition going into the tail half of group competition, surely a scenario few would have foreseen going into the campaign, and one José Mourinho will desperately be hoping to avoid.

Champions League · Group Match #3 - Schalke 04 vs Chelsea 085cech1_468x365

The sides last met in another Champions League group stage, in 2007. Chelsea managed a 0-0 draw away to the German outfit, under Avram Grant, having promoted the Israeli to the helm on an interim basis several weeks prior following the dismissal of José Mourinho. Schalke later went on to defeat Porto 4-1 on penalties in the knockout round before being eliminated in the quarterfinals by Barcelona via two successive 1-nil defeats by the Catalans. Chelsea, of course, were eventual finalists.

Champions League · Group Match #3 - Schalke 04 vs Chelsea Tumblr_muxvxsaIzN1ruhh4yo1_1280

On the injury list are Ashley Cole, who's still recovering from a rib injury incurred in Chelsea's 3-1 win over Norwich before the international break, and André Schurrle, who sustained a knock on duty with the German national side this past week.

Champions League · Group Match #3 - Schalke 04 vs Chelsea Tumblr_murys7cc2k1ruhh4yo1_1280

The match kicks off at 7:45pm UK time

Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Champions League · Group Match #3 - Schalke 04 vs Chelsea Empty Re: Champions League · Group Match #3 - Schalke 04 vs Chelsea

Post by Kick Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:47 am

I'd love to see Schurrle out there if he is fit.

If not, I'd take Oscar, KDB and Hazard in the band of three behind Eto'o.

Cahill should probably start too.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Champions League · Group Match #3 - Schalke 04 vs Chelsea Empty Re: Champions League · Group Match #3 - Schalke 04 vs Chelsea

Post by Shed Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:51 am

Champions League · Group Match #3 - Schalke 04 vs Chelsea Tumblr_muxwvgqqoT1ruhh4yo1_1280

Champions League · Group Match #3 - Schalke 04 vs Chelsea 12_6_16

Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:04 am

I hope he is fit, he is in great form right now.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:07 am

Schalke's rising crock count gives Chelsea a Champions League boost:
Many of Schalke's top players are out with injury, as Chelsea prepare to fight for vital Champions League points
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/chelsea-v-schalke-champions-league-2471531

The German side have seven players crocked.

Striker Klaas-Jan Huntelaar has been ruled out until the New Year with a knee injury.

Kevin-Prince Boateng is struggling with knee problems and will be assessed ahead of Tuesday’s Group E clash, while Jefferson Farfan has suffered hamstring pain.

Midfielder Jermaine Jones, Kyriakos Papadopoulos, Marco Hoger and Sead Kolasinac have also been sidelined.

The Schalke crisis has become so bad that 35-year-old striker Gerald Asamoah has been summoned from the reserves to train with the first-team squad.
hmm
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:13 am

Interesting that Asamoah is back at Schalke.

Not many of those injuries are first team players though so it might only affect them later in the game.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:15 am

They won 3-2 away via a late, late goal today, I believe I saw on my twitter timeline.
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:20 am

You would be correct. It was only Braunschweig though.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:26 am

Poor side?
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:34 am

Yes. But unless you're Dortmund, Schalke or Bayern, you're probably a poor side in germany.

They are relegation fodder too.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:35 am

Ah, then I guess a late goal winning that one isn't so much of an achievement after all Laughing
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:38 am

It's like Spurs narrowly beating Sunderland.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:00 pm

Graeme Souness says Chelsea should not start David Luiz in their crunch Champions League tie with Schalke:
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/29328/8984206/arsenal-chelsea-celtic-graeme-souness-on-champions-league-ties

I would not play David Luiz in this game because, for me, he's not a centre-half. He takes too many risks and doesn't sense danger early enough. If you are making mistakes at centre-back then inevitably that results in an effort on your goal and your goalkeeper has to make a save.

I think he can play football, but I think it's too critical a position in too critical a game to play David Luiz.

Gary Cahill hasn't got the ability on the ball that Luiz has, but he's a Steady Eddie and he can defend and John Terry is still their main man and the best centre-half they've got. I would like to see those two start this game.
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:05 pm

Champions League · Group Match #3 - Schalke 04 vs Chelsea Tumblr_mv0xx0sxLk1ruhh4yo1_1280
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:08 am

I hope he is ready for the City match though!
Soul
Soul
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:39 am

Well, Schalke currently is a "Wundertüte" (literally "miracle bag") as we say in German - you never know what you pull out of it. If you are lucky, they will have a bad day and play Regionalliga level, but if they have a good day, they are able to beat a team like Dortmund with ease (as they did twice last season). The many injuries are currently a concern, but on the other hand, when the kids (Jule Draxler, Max Meyer, Leon Goretzka, Cristian Clemens) play, they will want to prove their worth against a big opponent.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by iNFINITY9910 Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:42 am

Gonna be a good match... I hope I will be awake for this Razz
iNFINITY9910
iNFINITY9910
First Team
First Team

http://twitter.com/iNFINITY9910

Back to top Go down

Post by lszanto Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:38 am

Hopefully somebody from Aus can help me out here.

I don't have foxtel but my friend is house sitting at a house with foxtel. According to online it's only shown on ESPN3 which is some online streaming service or something?

So I was wondering can matches be watched on ESPN3 on a delay or does it have to be live streamed? Pretty much I want to know if they can record it or if it's possible for me to watch later(without downloading it cause that always takes forever and I end up finding out the score and then not wanting to watch as much haha).
lszanto
lszanto
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:15 pm

The games not live on ESPN :facepalm: ill figure it out tomorrow morning.

Lszanto I can't help you with that, sorry

If Meyer plays tomorrow he better be as good as he is in FIFA: awful. Lucky I only spent 500k on him
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by lszanto Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:46 pm

fatman123 wrote:The games not live on ESPN 🤦ill figure it out tomorrow morning.

If Meyer plays tomorrow he better be as good as he is in FIFA: awful. Lucky I only spent 500k on him
Yeah all good mate, I think you have to sign in to the online streaming thing which is ESPN3. I'll just try download the game later without finding out the score Razz
lszanto
lszanto
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:54 pm

lszanto wrote:

Yeah all good mate, I think you have to sign in to the online streaming thing which is ESPN3. I'll just try download the game later without finding out the score Razz
but..how will you survive? :O
Soul
Soul
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by lszanto Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:02 pm

Soul wrote:
lszanto wrote:

but..how will you survive? :O
Well i'm sick so don't want to get up early, i've already missed out on 3 games of futsal so it's more important for me to get better haha. I'll try get a hold of the match while I work on an essay and will have to avoid almost anything on my phone and computer otherwise i'll see the score.
lszanto
lszanto
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:48 pm

CHELSEA XI: Cech; Ivanovic, Cahill, JT, Azpilicueta; Ramires, Lampard; Schurrle, Oscar, Hazard; Torres

SUBS: Schwarzer, David Luiz, Bertrand, Mikel, Willian, Mata, Eto'o
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:51 pm

Azpi over Bertrand at LB? scratch
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:55 pm

SCHALKE XI: Hildebrand, Uchida, Höwedes, Matip, Aogo, Neustädter, Jones, Clemens, Meyer, Draxler, Boateng
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum