Is Lucas Leiva the most underrated DM in Europe?

+34
Kaladin
M99
Highburied
ExtremistEnigma
S
Nishankly
Tomwin Lannister
Blackmore.
VanDeezNuts
AltoZ
donttreadonred
McAgger
Red Alert
poolsupporter
Blue
Magricos
red&blacklegion
BeautifulGame
Sir Psycho
ArsenalWenger
tsgooner1
McLewis
Gil
Ali
TheRedStag
biggiejay
zizzle
theaguia
Ganso
Raptorgunner
Swanhends
Sushi Master
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Mr Nick09
38 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Is Lucas Leiva the most underrated DM in Europe? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Lucas Leiva the most underrated DM in Europe?

Post by Guest Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:48 pm

Sepi wrote:I give you an example without using stats. April vs Arsenal. 20 minutes into the game we are left with 2 17 yr old fullbacks away from home against a title chasing team full of attacking talent. See positioning, movement and track backs in that game and how amazingly he made those teenagers look comfy on their 2nd game ever. Not to mention Carragher got injured in 60th minute, n he had to burden extra responsibility for that too. Outstanding DM play That game. And it didn't have many tackles or stats.

I'm not saying Lucas is bad... but what you're describing above, M'Vila had to do it for a full season without much talent around him. That teams scored 38 goals on the season. So it was all on the defense. He also had to prove to Blanc that he belonged on the France NT and basically has kicked Lass off the squad completely and he was 20. I think Rennes gets relegated without him.

You just don't rate him much because you don't see him.

Lucas is a top 10 DM imo. But not one of the greats and M'Vila is better imo.

Back to top Go down

Is Lucas Leiva the most underrated DM in Europe? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Lucas Leiva the most underrated DM in Europe?

Post by Mr Nick09 Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:56 pm

sportsczy wrote:

My definition of WC is skill to start and then whom i would choose over the player... These players usually are at big clubs, but not always. Playing in a tough league is more important to me. For example, I also rate Hummels as one of the best CBs in the world and he doesn't play for a big club either. Same goes for Cavani.

I would put M'Vila amongst the top 5-7 DMs right now. That to me is WC.

For a guy like Hummels, that dominated the bundesliga by his performances, it's obvious. But he started being brilliant last season.

Even cavani needs to prove a lot, continuity and consistency.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:57 pm

biggiejay wrote:Lucas is improving year by year but his passing isnt that great. He gives the ball away to easily sometimes.
around 85% completion rate :coffee:

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:36 pm

Anyone who doesn't rate Lucas at this stage is either on crack or most likely haven't watched him play on a regular basis in the last 18 months or so.

Lucas was used as a scape goat for our loses/draws by some fans we he first broke into the team. The Lucas of the last 18 months or so is like a different person.

Every game he is putting in motm performances for us especially the season gone by.

His tackling is superb.

His passing range has improved significantly from when he first broke into the team. Instead of the sideways passing we used to see, he's treading ball though the channels and clipping balls over the top.

He reads the game extremely well and can cover a lot of ground in every game.

He is tough as nails and never gets injured.

I honestly think that if you watched every Liverpool game last season there is no way possible that you can't put him up there with the likes of busquets and de jong etc.

Lucas is an absolute BOSS, anyone who says something different is a liar or is thick.

TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by theaguia Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:40 pm

no one doubts so doesnt that make him rated not underrated
theaguia
theaguia
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:43 pm

theaguia wrote:no one doubts so doesnt that make him rated not underrated

No player has a universal rating so I agree with you that calling someone rated/underrated/overrated is never entirely true.

Which ever one Lucas is, he's one of the best holding midfielders out there.
TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by theaguia Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:44 pm

he is proven himself this season, i hope he keeps it up.
theaguia
theaguia
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:03 pm

idk how u all rate Lucas now and not Song...Song played exceptionally for the first half of the season and Lucas played exceptionally for the second half
Ali
Ali
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:04 pm

Cause Song regularly gets raped by any decent attacking team.
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:05 pm

no,lucas played exceptionally all season
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:09 pm

^ and for a large proportion of the previous season.
TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:10 pm

bhends wrote:mikel :coffee:
QFT
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:38 pm

Gil wrote:Cause Song regularly gets raped by any decent attacking team.

like who...Chelsea? City?
Ali
Ali
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:44 pm

He's come a long way from the guy whose balls got busted game in, game out by the Kop...

I think he's one of the best success stories to come out of the last couple of seasons.

Is he the most underrated DM? For me, he most certainly is.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:49 pm

ali8775 wrote:

Stoke, West Brom, Bolton, Barca, Chelsea, United, Spurs etc etc
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:44 pm

Gil wrote:
ali8775 wrote:

Stoke, West Brom, Bolton, Barca, Chelsea, United, Spurs etc etc

So Song got raped by ALL those teams?

When did Chelsea rape Song, Song manhandled your midfield when we played you
Ali
Ali
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by tsgooner1 Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:51 pm

Man, do you watch arsenal? SONG DOES NOT GET RAPED BY THOSE TEAMS. He has the odd game where he decides to be zidane and messes up but thats about it.

tsgooner1
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by ArsenalWenger Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:04 pm

Song gives away too many easy fk's on the edge of the area for my liking sure foul away futher up the field, but the Liverpool match still leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. Make no mistake when Song is on the top of his game he's excellent but he's over rated this year he was better 09/10. Would love Vidal. On Lucas he's massively improved bit like Song from being called "The worst player I ever seen" by Paul Merson to a good DM, hes a pretty dynamic player as I always see him running about in the top 10 DM.
ArsenalWenger
ArsenalWenger
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:37 pm

ArsenalWenger wrote:Song gives away too many easy fk's on the edge of the area for my liking sure foul away futher up the field, but the Liverpool match still leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. Make no mistake when Song is on the top of his game he's excellent but he's over rated this year he was better 09/10. Would love Vidal. On Lucas he's massively improved bit like Song from being called "The worst player I ever seen" by Paul Merson to a good DM, hes a pretty dynamic player as I always see him running about in the top 10 DM.

A random homeless drunk would talk more sense than Merson.
TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Psycho Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:19 am

he's coming along well ... seeing as he went to England as more of a box 2 box / attacking mid, but thats Gerrard's role or at least at that moment it was

just thinkin' about Lucas has me shaking my head over Anderson from the next Dinho to what? Edgar Davids Neutral
Sir Psycho
Sir Psycho
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:49 am

sportsczy wrote:

Yeah... he's being coveted by Man U, Madrid, Bayern, etc. like M'Vila. Stats only work for goalkeepers and CFs to tell the story... they only tell a very partial story regarding every other position.

The only reason Rennes was even close to the top of the table was that M'Vila was managing the whole defensive side of the field. He was actually holding them at the top, but got burnt out at the end because he was covering everything sideline to sideline.

Liverpool has a tiny bit more talent than Rennes for Lucas to rely on. He can just cover his own area, not the whole darn field.

Ya u would expect United to covet a Liverpool midfielder dont u?

How many of the united Bayern Madrid have actually bid for M'Villa? It means nothing just because agents drum up the rumors he is the better player.Defour is being linked with every big club in europe every season so is he better than Gerrard? What sort of assumption is that?

Lucas has bossed most of the big games last season.Tell me M'Villa is better when he plays a quality opposition and dominates them.Otherwise using ur same logic i could say Izaguirre is better than Marcelo because he single handedly dragged Celtic 2nd in the league in scottish league. As u know Madrid has a tiny bit more talent than Celtic for Marcelo to rely on.Mind u Izaguirre is linked with United and Barcelona unlike Marcelo too.

Last edited by BeautifulGame on Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:03 am; edited 2 times in total
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Psycho Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:53 am

Sir Psycho
Sir Psycho
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by red&blacklegion Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:00 am

H eshould go back to brazil for a year to relearn football!he plays like a washed up english DM!
red&blacklegion
red&blacklegion
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Magricos Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:11 am

Nope

Magricos
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:55 am

Fernando reges
Blue
Blue
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by poolsupporter Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:33 am

Lucas has improved tremendously over the last two seasons. His biggest asset is his consistency. He puts in good performances against almost everyone. And then he goes and plays exceptionally against the big teams.

poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next