EPL 1998-2008 title contenders

2 posters

Go down

EPL 1998-2008 title contenders Empty EPL 1998-2008 title contenders

Post by BarcaLearning Sat May 18, 2013 10:13 am

Im just wondering a bit exactly, since during this time, I did watch EPL but didnt follow it very closely. I started out supporting Liverpool way back, then on and off neutral for a long time, sometimes I watched somtimes I didnt. Im interested in the title race and the winners during this time, I know of cos the main club was Man U, a long fight with Arsenal during 1998 onto about 2004, that Man U dominated 99-01, then exchanged titles with Arsenal in the next 3 years, then 2 years Chelsea, then Man U 3 straight.

Im specifically wondering why Man U lost their domination for that 3 year period after they won back the title from Arsenal in 2002-2003? We all know about the 99 treble side, but what was their lineup in 2000-2003 that made them win 3 out of the 4 years? Especially the year in between Arsenal's 2 titles? Arsenal I know Bergkamp, Henry, Pires, etc. during this time. What about 1998, what were their lineup when they won the title?

The other thing I wonder is why Chelsea lost their domination after 2 years? I know that more recent time around 2007-2008 I started watching more again, Ronaldo must have had a big influence to lift Man U's dominance, and I know about Chelsea not getting the right players in but I think they still had the core after the 2 years, was it more of other factors or Mou losing the edge after 2 years? Losing the likes of Robben and Duff. Why were they sold?

Thanks
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

EPL 1998-2008 title contenders Empty Re: EPL 1998-2008 title contenders

Post by King Meyy Sat May 18, 2013 2:26 pm

Actually Arsenal came back strong with signings like wiltord,pires and henry to lift the 01/02 title...they lost the 02/03 title due to injuries at the business end of the season,they came out and proved they were the better team in 03/04 by going undefeated.

Then the mourinho machine efficiency chelsea came in with 2-0 wins in every match and a record points total to lift the title in 04/05 that was the time when Arsenal sold vieira and were moving to the new stadium and investing in youth next season they slided to 4th and chelsea managed the 2nd best total ever to lift it in 05/06 while Man Utd had integrated stars like rooney and ronaldo,van der sar who was bought turned out to be a success and the likes of evra and vidic were added in january and they finished 2nd

Next season they won the title 06/07 but that they actually were not the better team at that time and could not defeat chelsea in 1 on 1 encounters,Abrahomich messed mourinhos team by making him sell players he wanted to keep and buying him Shevchenco and Ballack....further interfered in his work by making him play sheva who was doing very poorly and soon faded into oblivion.

It was this that made mourinho leave.

07/08 Arsenal had made a team cabable of challenging for the title and winning it with the likes of Adebayor,RVp,Hleb,Rosicky,Flamini,Fabregas,Clichy,Sagna,Toure,Gallas and Alumunia that year they even had 5 players in the PFA team of the year...they led for most of the season but eduardo's horrific leg break the referee giving birmingham a penalty that was not in the same match in the final minutes of game which gave the equalizer to birmingham demoralised the team...gallas weeping on the other side of the field did not help...further decisions went against arsenal unfairly for arsenal during the rest of the season(penalty on helb against liverpool) and they made too many draws and fell behind and finished 3rd...man utd lost more points towards the end and were equal on pts with chealsea going into the final day but managed to hang on.

King Meyy
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by King Meyy Sat May 18, 2013 2:41 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ2y_...eature=related

King Meyy
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Sat May 18, 2013 7:52 pm

Thx a lot King Meyv!

Continuing on, do u know the title winning team of Arsenal in 1998?

I gathered that for the 3 seasons Man U out of it they were rebuilding after selling treble winners and finding the right mix again which they did in 2006 finally. While Arsenal as u mentioned were invincible but weakened and at the same time Chelsea came in it seems. Mouinho was sacked though I thought, not that he left due to Abrom making him play players he didnt want, it was poor results among other things.

Still, Man U winning so much, but I feel seem not always the best team, just better at consistency Razz While the others struggled in patches and succeed in some years to topple them.

The link u gave doesnt work it seems?
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down