BeautifulGame
VivaStPauli
Brigate Rossonere
Sushi Master
rwo power
39 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

German Goalkeeper Appreciation Thread Empty German Goalkeeper Appreciation Thread

Post by rwo power Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:33 am

If one looks at the goalkeepers many other countries produce, they mostly have only one who excels (bar Spain, as usual). Contrary to that we seem to have quite a lot of really good goalkeepers in Germany, though.

Somewhere I read that for example in England, goalkeeper coaching is less developed than here, but I wonder if the goalkeeper drought in some other countries might be supported/caused because people usually prefer to cheer for strikers?

Even Manual Neuer said in one interview some years ago that he originally wanted to become a striker when he was a kid. Only when he was late for the training, he was put between the sticks, because no one else wanted to keep the goal.

Could it be that in Germany the shining examples of a Sepp Maier or Oliver Kahn might be an incentive that more players embrace the idea of becoming a goal keeper and then excelling here? I mean, we have not only Manuel Neuer, but if you discount his injury problems, René Adler has quite some class, too.

And then there are the youngsters that come up like Ron-Robert Zieler or Kevin Trapp who look very promising, too.

Let this thread become a goalkeeper watch thread for Germany and let's put goalkeeper related stuff here.

Stats for the Bundesliga GKs (not just German ones):
http://www.goallegacy.net/t27224-bundesliga-gks-appreciation-thread

Last edited by rwo power on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

German Goalkeeper Appreciation Thread Empty Re: German Goalkeeper Appreciation Thread

Post by Sushi Master Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:50 pm

Adler, Wiese, Kraft, Butt, Rost, Enke (RIP), Weidenfeller, Rensing etc.

Germany have a silly ammount of good and great goalkeepers. Many of them would walk into top teams. I guess the stereotype of Germans being cold and efficient makes them great goalkeepers. England's envy Laughing
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

German Goalkeeper Appreciation Thread Empty Re: German Goalkeeper Appreciation Thread

Post by Brigate Rossonere Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:01 pm

Buffon, Viviano, Sirigu, Curci, Abbiati, De Sanctis, Agazzi....
Brigate Rossonere
Brigate Rossonere
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Napoli

http://acmilan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:12 pm

And the young ones! Ter Stegen, Ullreich, Sippel, Kessler - they all look incredibly good.

And Tim Wiese gets overlooked way too often, he might even be better than Adler these days.

Of course Neuer is the king of kings of 'keepers, but there's a lot of class to be had. Even Fromlowiz would probably walk into a couple EPL sides, for example...

@Brigate: Yes. Italy don't have a 'keeper problem as well. Almost all other nations do, though. France are screwed if Lloris gets injured, and Stekelenburg is good, but not Van der Sar good. Hart is the first good Keeper England have had in a long time, and don't get me start about most Latin teams...
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:27 pm

Yep. Italy and Germany have never had any goal keeper problems.

Latin teams are all flair and attacking football, man. Who cares about goalkeepers if you outscore the opponent? Laughing Let's just look at Argentina. Like 10 good offensive CMs, strikers and wingers... and shit all CB backup and goalkeeper! A supposedly top 5 side.

Here the stereotype strikes again, Latins being too passionate and impatient for long times between the sticks.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:01 pm

Well, England has a real goal keeper problem for sure. I think I read only some days ago they only have 5 English keepers starting in EPL sides? IMO that is a very poor prospect.

And I agree, there were/are many outstanding Italian keepers, too. Dino Zoff and Gigi leading the crop.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:35 pm

rwo power wrote:Well, England has a real goal keeper problem for sure. I think I read only some days ago they only have 5 English keepers starting in EPL sides? IMO that is a very poor prospect.

And I agree, there were/are many outstanding Italian keepers, too. Dino Zoff and Gigi leading the crop.

Man City ( Hart ) , Blackburn ( Robinson ) , West Ham ( Green ) , Birmingham ( Foster ) , West Brom ( Carson ) are the only english keepers playing in PL . West ham and Birmingham relegated , Blackburn survived on the last day and west brom are replacing their keeper . Just shows the quality of English keepers .
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:43 pm

Yeah, it's strange because the US makes some awesome keepers... yet they're a very mediocre footballing nation. There are more quality American keepers than British ones! Howard, Hanemann and Friedel just on the top of my head.

Given's very good, yet benched... although he's Irish so it doesn't count.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:24 pm

There are even more quality Australian keepers than English ones! (Mark Schwarzer, Mitch Langerak, Nathan Coe...)
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:25 pm

I'm really looking forward to the new batch that are even younger than Neuer, like ter Stegen. Exciting stuff.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:34 pm

Absolutely! And even though he is Australian, I'd love to see Mitch Langerak get some more playing time at Dortmund.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Bayern Fan Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:47 pm

I became a goalkeeper because of Lehmann and Kahn- fantastic to watch.

I am personally a fan of Fromlowitz outside of Neuer, Wiese, Adler.

Bayern Fan
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:23 pm

I am quickly becoming a ter Stegian...
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:59 pm

ter Stegen is just great. I think we can expect great things from him in the future. Somehow I expect him to snatch the Nr.2 spot behind Neuer not too far ahead.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geo Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:13 am

Fahrmann move to Schalke is exciting.. he's one of the best young keepers as well!!
Sad, no one mentioned him here..
Geo
Geo
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:34 am

German Goalkeeper Appreciation Thread Kahn-formal
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

http://pose-grpp.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:23 pm

Well, Fährmann had the problem that he always had Neuer in front of him when he was still at Schalke. Now he can hopefully properly take over. I just hope the Lehmann rumours are just rumours.

Another hero, BTW:

German Goalkeeper Appreciation Thread Portraet_wm74_maier_g

German Goalkeeper Appreciation Thread Sg24qr

Last edited by rwo power on Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Sepp Maier!)
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:05 pm

(Lehmann was already committed to diving before the shot went off o.o)

and of course Kahn. OLIVER KAHN! Wer sonst? WER SONST?

DIE BAYERN DIE BAYERN! - Germany can have their epic commentaries as well, it isn't just Andy gray with OHHHHHHH YOU BEAAUTY.
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:56 pm

Let's take this out of the BL thread in the GFD Very Happy

My guess is that the three goalkeepers that will be nominated for the EC2012 will be Neuer, Zieler and ter Stegen (barring injuries). Poor René Adler has too much bad luck with injuries, and I'm not sure he can regain his form till the nomination for the EC. Moreover, if Leverkusen can talk Stuttgart into giving them Leno for longer, it is very well possible that even Leno will surpass Adler soon.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:09 pm

No love for Wiese? He's solid as hell and experienced.

Can't see Loew brining in 2 youngsters for such a high profile tournament.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:30 pm

Well, Löw does risk to play youngsters, and the two would only be backups and very likely not play anyway. Wiese in the NT hasn't really been good news result-wise so far. ^^

(He played 5 NT matches and Germany lost 2 and drew in 3 of them ^^)
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geo Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:53 am

Wiese is on my TOP list of hated players.
He should stay away from the NT as well
Geo
Geo
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:43 pm

Andreas Koepke :coffee:
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:49 pm

I guess I'm the only Wiese fanboy here, considering how shit his defense is and how he manages to keep Bremen afloat is impressive to me.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:42 pm

Well, let's say we can be happy that there is such a lot of good keepers at our disposal. ^^
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next