Tomwin Lannister
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
mr-r34
VivaStPauli
AltoZ
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Margaret Thatcher dies - 87 years - Page 2 Empty Re: Margaret Thatcher dies - 87 years

Post by RedOranje Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:41 am

I will certainly concede that Obama has more than a few skeletons in his presidential closet already (I walked right into that one) just as I'm sure you'll admit that those who are not mourning Thatcher's passing have more motivation than just her economic policies for their stance.

For the record, I do not feel strongly one way or the other on Thatcher's death. I'm shedding no tears but neither am I enthused. I simply believe that to be supportive of war, wherein innocent life is consistently lost, while chastising others for voicing their opinions on a single death is just a teensy bit contradictory.

RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Margaret Thatcher dies - 87 years - Page 2 Empty Re: Margaret Thatcher dies - 87 years

Post by McAgger Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:44 pm

This witch doesn't deserve a thread on GL. I don't like to celebrate anyone's death but can't say it didn't brighten my day upon hearing the news of her passing.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:40 pm

Swanhends wrote:No expert at all on the situation, but didn't Thatcher just speed up a process that the forces of economics had already set in motion anyway?

The UK is a capital abundant/labor scarce nation - based on comparative advantage they were always going to end up with an economy based on knowledge rather than manufacturing, no?

The manufacturing jobs were always going to disappear sooner rather than later unless the government intervened to protect them...the consequences of which: higher prices, lower domestic consumption, transfer of consumer surplus to producers/government etc

I tend to agree with this. I'm not from the UK, so I shouldn't judge them for some of their reaction to Thatcher's death, but I can't help feeling they don't see the bigger picture behind her politics.

The "traditional" working class jobs that there were in the UK would have struggled to compete with the same jobs in emerging economies where the same jobs could be done cheaper. Add the effect of globalization - which was starting to speed up back then - , i.e. the easier, faster and wider spread of products and services across the world and, to me, moving from manufacturing-based economy to knowledge-based economy for a nation like the UK seems the right choice. Thatcher's mistake was that she tried to do it too quickly, but it is a little bit sad to see the people in the UK hate her so much.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:48 pm

I have read plenty of pages on Liverpool, United (Red Cafe), Newcastle forums about her today to not only get a biased view. (Well, she had been discussed a lot in Liverpool threads about when she'll f*ck off to hell, which is understandable as she was one of the major reasons in cover up of Hillsborough).

Some interesting facts I found out about her:

Her policies and brazen ways devastated large communities

Gifted manufacturing to other countries

Poll tax was her baby

She supported Chilean dictator Pinochet, and Khmer Rouge.

Opposed sanctions against Apartheid South Africa. I have also heard she once called Mandela a terrorist.

Her policies against Argentina were jingoistic

Her dehumanizing treatment of Irish prisoners in after-match of the Falkland war.

Selling all the social housing.

The miners issue (half of the jokes about her death of her being cremated and not enough coal for that Laughing )

creating a wealth gap between south and North of England....that's why she's so polarizing.

One I'm done school on friday, I'll start reading more. very interesting, but I've only ever heard bad things about her, and (read).

**in before someone said you can't judge her because you weren't born in her era and aren't from england. if you say that, then I suppose we can' judge Adolf either.

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by che Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:32 pm

Yuri Yukuv wrote:The north is unemployed because they are not competitive enough, they just wanted everyone to sink with them in the same ship. The miners wanted to bring the country done by force and intimidation.

and what exactly were their options? mining and heavy industries were the backbone of the region since the 18th century, entire communities were based around the workforce there and families were raised on nothing but participating in these industries and had very little opportunity, or willingness because of community pressure, to go on a different career path... then along comes thatcher and decides to cut all support for this

i'm sure you'll come up with some bullshit libertarian excuse about why it's all the workers' fault though... they should have just gone to university and become engineers, clearly their skills weren't in demand and this is absolutely their own doing, the glorious free marketTM has never screwed over anybody

Swanhends wrote:No expert at all on the situation, but didn't Thatcher just speed up a process that the forces of economics had already set in motion anyway?

The UK is a capital abundant/labor scarce nation - based on comparative advantage they were always going to end up with an economy based on knowledge rather than manufacturing, no?

The manufacturing jobs were always going to disappear sooner rather than later unless the government intervened to protect them...the consequences of which: higher prices, lower domestic consumption, transfer of consumer surplus to producers/government etc

yes, but what you do is phase them out and attempt to reeducate the workforce, not sell off entire industries in the span of 5 years and say "tough shit lol, lrn2computer" to the thousands of people who have spent their entire lives mining and welding
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:33 pm

She also opposed German reunification. Burn in peace, witch.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by NiallQuinnsdiscoPants Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:04 pm

Margaret Thatcher dies - 87 years - Page 2 Tumblr_mkyj47B2dN1qkfzdlo1_1280
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:30 pm

Yuri Yukuv wrote:
che wrote:thatcher is pretty much the single reason why all of britain north of leeds except the cities is a wasteland where nobody has a job... how dare they rejoice at her death Mad

Yes, celebrating the death of a democratically elected person because of their policies is great. Shows that they were right all along. She was PM three times btw.

The north is unemployed because they are not competitive enough, they just wanted everyone to sink with them in the same ship. The miners wanted to bring the country done by force and intimidation.

Thatcherism played a huge role in why emerging markets and the globe registered such strong growth from the 1990s to now, even when taking account of the 08 recession. Its not thatchers fault that some people couldnt not fit into the newly emerged knowledge economy.

pretty much this. I might not have been alive then but I have had family members who have lived in this country for long

some of her policies were eye gouging throughout her career as a politician like banning milk from school that then started a pandemic but as a PM she has been the one with most balls out of all our PMs ever. hence her nickname iron lady
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by AltoZ Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:01 am

Remember when she owned the Germans after the 1990 WC loss in the semi's.

"At least we have already beaten them 2 times this century" or something similar haha.
AltoZ
AltoZ
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:36 am

Good read on her economic legacy:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2013/04/margaret-thatchers-macroeconomic-legacy
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by El Jefe Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:16 am

DEAD DEAD DEAD
El Jefe
El Jefe
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:48 am

El Jefe wrote:DEAD DEAD DEAD
What are you doing? trying to prove you are a degenerate? you're a bit late to the party then
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by El Jefe Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:17 am

Only just noticed this section. Saw this thread. Put me in a good mood. Thought I'd share my happiness.
El Jefe
El Jefe
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by El Jefe Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:50 am

Margaret Thatcher dies - 87 years - Page 2 5COv208
El Jefe
El Jefe
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2