Recommend me 3 books on the israeli-palestinian conflict

+3
Yuri Yukuv
ToEy
BarrileteCosmico
7 posters

Go down

Recommend me 3 books on the israeli-palestinian conflict Empty Recommend me 3 books on the israeli-palestinian conflict

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:16 pm

So I'm pretty ignorant on the subject, and in a month will have very limited access to the internet and as a result will read a lot. I'm looking for 3 books. 1) an accessible, somewhat neutral (or as neutral as it gets), updated history of the conflict, 2) a well-though pro-Israel book, and 3) a well-thought pro-Palestinian book.

Anyone got recommendations for any of the 3?
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Recommend me 3 books on the israeli-palestinian conflict Empty Re: Recommend me 3 books on the israeli-palestinian conflict

Post by ToEy Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:21 pm

Book 1 will be tough...tell me if anyone got 1 im interested too

ToEy
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Recommend me 3 books on the israeli-palestinian conflict Empty Re: Recommend me 3 books on the israeli-palestinian conflict

Post by Yuri Yukuv Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:47 pm

If you are a good reader and would like to a good book which is not really about Palestine-Israel but certainly influenced by the conflict I would recommend Orientalism by Edward Said
Yuri Yukuv
Yuri Yukuv
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:04 pm

Pity the Nation by Robert Fisk is a good read. It focuses more on the lebanese civil war but that war was in the heart of the arab - israeli conflict
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:50 pm

http://www.palestineremembered.com/Acre/Palestine-Remembered/Story725.html

This site portrays the palestinian point of view on many of the basic issues of the conflict.
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by I Have Mono Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:04 pm

A condensed version is that the conflict stems from Roman/Eastern Roman/Byzantine Empire time when Jews lived in the Area. As the Eastern Roman empire was collapsing and the Ottoman Turks Empire were on the rise Arabs moved into that area.

Now that neither empire is there, both people live there and both claim the land is theirs.

Find an Ancient history book and you will see why there is conflict.

I Have Mono
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri Yukuv Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:30 pm

I Have Mono wrote:A condensed version is that the conflict stems from Roman/Eastern Roman/Byzantine Empire time when Jews lived in the Area. As the Eastern Roman empire was collapsing and the Ottoman Turks Empire were on the rise Arabs moved into that area.

Now that neither empire is there, both people live there and both claim the land is theirs.

anyone looking more than a 100 years back is looking in wrong place
Yuri Yukuv
Yuri Yukuv
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by I Have Mono Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:34 pm

Anyone not looking more than 100 years back will never understand the conflict.

I Have Mono
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:52 pm

I Have Mono wrote:Anyone not looking more than 100 years back will never understand the conflict.

since you're a fan of looking back, and since the caananites were living in palestine before judaism came to be then your arguement is invalid.
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by I Have Mono Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:15 pm

My argument ? I never claimed either side should have the land in question. All I did was explain that the issue over the land dates back thousands of years.

As for Canaanites both Jews and palestines claim that they are descedents from them (extremely sketchy) so I don't get your point.

I Have Mono
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:34 pm

Need i remind you of this ?

I Have Mono wrote:A condensed version is that the conflict stems from Roman/Eastern Roman/Byzantine Empire time when Jews lived in the Area. As the Eastern Roman empire was collapsing and the Ottoman Turks Empire were on the rise Arabs moved into that area.

You are clearly stating that the conflict stems from when Arabs moved into an area where jews had been living. If you're saying that to legitimize the jewish claims to the area then you either dont know the history of the region or you're being hypocrit.
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by I Have Mono Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:59 pm

My bad, because that's not the way I mean for it to come across, both sides have legitimate claims for the same piece if land. The fact that that specific region has so many religions that gravitate towards it I don't think any country should have it. More so a multi-cultural multi-national multi religious committee should oversee the whole area together.

I Have Mono
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:55 pm

I Have Mono wrote:My bad, because that's not the way I mean for it to come across, both sides have legitimate claims for the same piece if land. The fact that that specific region has so many religions that gravitate towards it I don't think any country should have it. More so a multi-cultural multi-national multi religious committee should oversee the whole area together.

Well the Arabs (which includes Jews, Christians and Muslims) were living in peace in that area before the idea of Israel and before the European Jews moved in and created their own country by displacing those Arabs. It wasn't a perfect area but it was hell alot better then what it is now
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:55 am

It's incredibly biased, but you said you wanted something pro-Israel - The Case for Israel by Alan Dershowitz is used in a lot of Zionist curricula. He's a Harvard Law professor - actually became a full one at age 28, the youngest ever, so you at least know he's intelligent.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:05 am

Guys let's keep this to book recommendations please. Thanks for the suggestions so far, I'll definitely look into them Smile
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:21 am

The Holocaust Industry by Norman G. Finkelstein is about how Jews are using the Holocaust to exploit what they are doing in Israel

i have never read it but it sounds like something interesting and he and Dershowitz had a public feud, which resulted in Norman losing his job at his Uni.

Plus he is also popular for this video

TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down