Sir Alex switching to a diamond formation?

4 posters

Go down

Sir Alex switching to a diamond formation? Empty Sir Alex switching to a diamond formation?

Post by B-Mac Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:25 pm

07/10/2012 19:18, Report by Mark Froggatt
Diamond pays dividends

Sir Alex Ferguson has hinted that the 'diamond' formation could figure more prominently for Manchester United this season, after the Reds brushed Newcastle aside on Sunday.

The boss opted for the fluid midfield system at the weekend, following encouraging outings in the Capital One Cup tie against the Magpies and Tuesday’s Champions League triumph over CFR Cluj. This time, Sir Alex fielded Michael Carrick at the base of the diamond with Wayne Rooney at the head, flanked by Tom Cleverley and Shinji Kagawa.

“I wanted to try the diamond again after some success against Cluj, which is not an easy place to go to, and against Newcastle in the Capital One Cup,” Sir Alex told MUTV. “It worked very well for us. Obviously there were moments in the second half when we felt we had to change.

“The diamond closes off the midfield. The only problem is when the ball goes out wide, how far your midfield gets separated. If you try to keep it tight in the centre of the field, then the opposition have to go wide.

“Okay, we took a gamble today because Newcastle are so big up front and they're good crossers of the ball. But the football we played from the central midfield positions through Cleverley, Kagawa, Rooney and Carrick was terrific.

“We played so well on Tuesday against a decent team. People look at the name Cluj and say they expect United to win, but they are a decent side. And because we played so well on Tuesday, I thought we should find out how far we can go with that diamond system.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2012/Oct/Sir-Alex-Ferguson-discusses-the-diamond-formation.aspx

for years we have been the best at wing play, nobody uses the wide areas like manchester united. I don't know if we have the quality in the middle to play diamond and thru the middle week in and week out, will be interesting to watch tho
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Sir Alex switching to a diamond formation? Empty Re: Sir Alex switching to a diamond formation?

Post by Dutti Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:34 am

It seems like Ancelloti's Chelsea left a deep impression on Fergie's mind after witnessing the strength of the formation in the season when they won the PL.

In fact, Sir Alex did try the formation in that season and failed as United midfielders were pretty shit because they didn't understand how to move efficiently, and judging from the last game, they still have not improved.
Dutti
Dutti
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Sir Alex switching to a diamond formation? Empty Re: Sir Alex switching to a diamond formation?

Post by RED Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:55 pm

Dutti wrote:It seems like Ancelloti's Chelsea left a deep impression on Fergie's mind after witnessing the strength of the formation in the season when they won the PL.

In fact, Sir Alex did try the formation in that season and failed as United midfielders were pretty shit because they didn't understand how to move efficiently, and judging from the last game, they still have not improved.

Honestly, don't you ever have a positive thing to say about United? Are you really a fan of the club?

Just saying cuz I have never read one post of you praising the team.

------------------------------

Well we tore a good NewC team apart before going 2-0 up and dominated their MF...plus we dominated a tricky team like Cluj away too. So good signs so far. About time we tried something different to compensate for our gaping hole in the middle....we were also becoming quite predictable with our wing play. So this new formation could be a great improvement to the team, as we have witnessed.

Rooney's good form is one of the key reasons it's working well too. Cant forget that. Ever since his return from injury in the 2nd half v Spurs, we have looked a much, much better team!
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutti Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:14 pm

RED wrote:
Dutti wrote:It seems like Ancelloti's Chelsea left a deep impression on Fergie's mind after witnessing the strength of the formation in the season when they won the PL.

Honestly, don't you ever have a positive thing to say about United? Are you really a fan of the club?

Just saying cuz I have never read one post of you praising the team.

------------------------------

Well we tore a good NewC team apart before going 2-0 up and dominated their MF...plus we dominated a tricky team like Cluj away too. So good signs so far. About time we tried something different to compensate for our gaping hole in the middle....we were also becoming quite predictable with our wing play. So this new formation could be a great improvement to the team, as we have witnessed.

Rooney's good form is one of the key reasons it's working well too. Cant forget that. Ever since his return from injury in the 2nd half v Spurs, we have looked a much, much better team!

Sorry. The team's standard back in 08 and 09 were too good that right now, as I see it, the team's attack is as good as a blunt knife.

Aye, Rooney has been good since his return but the rest of the team have been different (except some of the CB's).

We have quality players so the problem here is more like the current players do not gel quite well yet. I put the blame on training and physios for lack of fitness.
Dutti
Dutti
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by vizkosity Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:31 pm

if we continue using this formation. I can see a few wingers depart in the future :S
vizkosity
vizkosity
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:43 am

right now i don't think we will play week in week out with it, because of squad rotation and we don't have enough quality midfielders to play thru the middle, i think we will still play are wing play style against weaker teams.
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down